003

Concealed Promise

A/N We're getting closer!!! Here's chapter 3 for you!! I hope you enjoy it! Thankyu for reading and subscribing and commenting and upvoting!! <3 


Two Years Ago...

The spring concert was coming up just that nigh, and the competitive choir  class was going all out. Sunggyu had plenty of solos in each of the songs, and he was stressing once again over each one. He was very nervous, since scouts from the top music universities were coming to observe them. The school he’s dying to go to was also going to be there, Daekyung University. Another great school, Dong-an Institute of Media and Arts, was going to be there, the school which Shindong was looking at.

Either way, Sunggyu was going to try and get in to one of those schools. So he hoped the scouts would like him tonight. This meant no messing up, no matter what. Sure, he had another year to redeem himself, but that didn’t matter right now. He wants to make an impression for these guys.

He wants to show these scouts his power, his passion. He wanted them to know how much he loved music. If he messed up, then it would make his whole school look bad. He’s the best singer in the whole school, anyway. Messing up means no full-ride scholarship. Those scouts were hunting for people who were worth the scholarship.

“Sunggyu, calm down,”  Shindong said, massaging his friend’s shoulders. “You will be fine.”

“I’m so nervous,” Sunggyu said, shaking his head.

Just then, a scout from his dream university walked over to him with a wide smile on his face. Sunggyu didn’t realize the whole choir class was right behind them. All of him bowed to him in respect, and he bowed back. He then stuck out his hand to Sunggyu, who just stared at him. Shindong sighed and nudged him.

“Hello, I’m Nam Boohyun, a junior at Daekyung University. I’m the head boy there, and I’ll be observing all of you tonight,” Boohyun said with a grin.

“Ah, hello,” Sunggyu said, nervously. “I’m Kim Sunggyu.”

“Our school’s top singer,” another voice said as one of his classmates threw an arm around his shoulders. “He’s been looking at your school for quite a while now.”

“He really has,” Shindong said, nodding his head. “He’s been stressing so  much because you guys are going to be watching tonight.”

“Shut up,” Sunggyu said, elbowing Shindong in the gut.

“You’re just like my little brother,” Boohyun said, laughing. “Daekyung University is the school he wants to go to as well. He’s also the best singer in his school.”

“Ah, really?” Sunggyu asked, getting more nervous. “Aren’t there only 2 scholarships you’re handing out?”

“Two scholarships to two high school juniors, and two scholarships to high school seniors. My brother’s only a junior,” Boohyun replied.

“So am I,” Sunggyu said, quietly.

“You’ll be fine, Sunggyu,” Shindong assured him. “We all know how great you are, so you don’t have to be worried at all.”

“Well, can’t wait to see how all of you do,” Boohyun said with a smile, before walking away again.

“He seems nice. He won’t be hard on you, Gyu. Not that hard,” Ryeowook said, joining them.

“I hope not,” Sunggyu said with a sigh. “But what if his brother and some other kid is better than me? Then I won’t be getting that scholarship!”

“Sunggyu, no matter what, you’re getting that scholarship. Now stop freaking out,” Shindong said, just as the teacher called for them. “Okay, we’re going to go get some seats. Find your brother and your parents, or something. We’ll see you later. Good luck!”

“Hwaiting!” Ryeowook cried, pumping his fist in the air.

Sunggyu smiled at them and waved, before turning back to the teacher. He sighed deeply, trying to get rid of his nerves. One of his classmates reached over and massaged his shoulders, telling him everything would be okay. Sunggyu nodded his head as the teacher went through the procedures for the night. Sunggyu tried paying attention to her, while he also focused on his performance.

Ten minutes later, he found himself on stage, staring out at the audience. His family and friends were sitting together, cheering loudly and waving at him. He smiled and bowed to the audience, before looking back at his class. They were all standing in a half circle behind him with three microphones. They only had 12 people in the class, counting him, so the stage seemed very empty.

The teacher was off to the side, but where Sunggyu and the rest of the class could see her. Sunggyu looked at her and she gave him a small smile. Sunggyu took a hold of his own microphone and looked at the audience again. Everyone was cheering loudly, waiting for them to start. Sunggyu has the privilege of introducing the song.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” he called out, causing everyone to cheer loudly once again. “How are you all doing tonight? For the opening tonight, we’re going to sing an English song. It’s called What a Wonderful World. “

Everyone cheered loudly once again. Sunggyu gave everyone a small smile just as the music started playing. He stared at his brother, trying to ignore all the looks everyone was giving him. He was afraid to look at Boohyun from Daekyung University, because he didn’t want to feel like he was being judged badly. Soon he started singing, letting his voice fill throughout the auditorium.

He sang his heart out, not keeping anything in. Everytime the choir sang, he sang along with perfect harmony. He did the same thing for each and every song, feeling confident at least. He let loose, not feeling the slightest bit nervous any more. He was positive now that he has captured his audience, due to the fact that the reaction was tremendous.

Sunggyu smiled and bowed to the crowd once more, before turning around and leaving the stage with

the rest of the singers. He congratulated everyone, before making his way out to the crowd. The second he made it to the hallway, he was attacked by his friends in a tight bear hug. His family members joined them, and Ilhoon joined in the hug. Sunggyu laughed as the three of them lifted him up on to his shoulders.

Boohyun and the rest of the scouts made their way over to them, smiling at Sunggyu. The three noticed and set Sunggyu back on the ground so he could talk to the scouts. Sunggyu bowed to each and every one of them as they introduced themselves. Boohyun had on a satisfied grin, holding his hand out for Sunggyu. Sunggyu took the hand and Boohyun shook it firmly.

“You were just as amazing as everyone said. I really enjoyed the performance. You’ll be proud to know that you have received the second scholarship. I understand how much this school means to you. You deserve every cent of this scholarship,” Boohyun said, smiling widely.

“Who got the first one?” Shindong asked out of curiousity.

“My brother,” Boohyun said, proudly. “I didn’t even go as a scout to his school. They sent someone who didn’t even know him.”

“Ah,” Sunggyu said, still trying to take in all the news. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, Kim Sunggyu. We’ll be sending you information about the scholarship in a few months. We still have to deal with all the incoming freshmen for next year. Please enjoy your night,” Boohyun said, before walking away with all the scouts.

“I made it,” Sunggyu said, quietly. “Oh my god, I made it.”

“SUNGGYU DID IT!” Ryeowook shouted, pulling him up on his shoulders ago. “Our maknae did it!”

“Yay for Sunggyu!” Shindong cried, slapping Sunggyu’s legs.

“Congratulations, honey,” Sunggyu’s mom said with a bright smile. “I knew you could do it.”

“Yay for hyung!” Ilhoon cried, pumping his fist in the air.

“I’m proud of you, son,” Hoon said, placing a hand on Sunggyu’s knee, since he couldn’t really reach Sunggyu’s shoulder, considering he’s on Ryeowook’s shoulder.

“Let’s celebrate!” Shindong cried, leading their group out of the school building. “Our Gyu Gyu did it!”