001

Concealed Promise

A/N Sooo I decided to get this started for you guys just a little bit early, since I already have 20 amazing subscribers!! Awww, thankyu guys so much!!! I love you all!! I hope you guys love this story! And 3 upvotes already... WOW! Soooo anyway, these first four chapters are going to be short. About 1000 words each. They're all introduction chapters of Sunggyu, letting us get to know our main character. The rest afterwards will be a lot longer! Please enjoy! <3


4 Years Ago...

At the age of fourteen, Kim Sunggyu sprawled out on his front yard, staring at the sky. The sun was setting, leaving a pinkish tint in the clouds. The weather was getting colder as the seasons changed from fall to winter, Sunggyu’s favorite season. Beside Sunggyu was his two best friends, Shindong and Ryeowook, and his half brother, Ilhoon. They all grew up together, sticking together like glue.

Sunggyu still remembered when he had to leave his hometown because his mother was going to get remarried. Sunggyu was a small child of four back then and loved the idea of adventure. When he moved from Busan to Gyeonggi, he made friends with his next door neighbor, Ryeowook, right away. Shortly after moving, his mother gave birth to a baby boy and named him Ilhoon. A year after that, Ryeowook and Sunggyu were enrolled in kindergarten and met their friend Shindong.

The three of them were freshmen in highschool now. They always went to the same school together. They were inseparable and supported each other more than anything. They stood up for little ten year old Ilhoon wherever they went. Now Ilhoon is a fifth grader, keeping all high grades in school, unlike his brother.

“I decided what I want to be when I get older,” Sunggyu said with a slight lisp.

He has been thinking hard of what he wants his dream job to be. His friends have already been set on what they wanted to do since they were in sixth grade. Shindong loved media and wanted to be a movie director. Ryeowook loved to help people and wanted to be a psychiatrist. This left Sunggyu, who had spend many hours each night trying to decide on a future career.

The other three him, waiting anxiously for what he would say. Sunggyu rolled on to his stomach and propped himself up on his elbows. He fixed his glasses and studied each of his friends’ faces. They seemed excited, bouncing repeatedly in the grass. Sunggyu smiled brightly at them, his braces showing off a bright gleam.

“What do you want to be, hyung?” Ilhoon asked, eyes widened in curiousity. “How come you never told me?”

“Because I just decided,” Sunggyu replied. “I mean I’ve been contemplating it for a few weeks now, but now I’m positive that I know what it is I want to be”

“What is it, Sunggyu? Tell us already!” Ryeowook cried, impatiently.

“You know how I’m top in the class in choir?” Sunggyu asked, tapping his chin as the three nodded. “Well since I’m so good at that, I want to be a singer!”

“Oh wow! That’s so daebak!” Ilhoon cried, clapping his hands. “Hyung, are you going to become famous?”

“Ah, I don’t know about that,” Sunggyu said, shaking his head. “But that’s what I’m going to shoot for.”

“Well, if you never make it as an idol, I’ll have you sing all of the OSTs for my movies,” Shindong stated, grinning.

“That would be fun!” Sunggyu cried, grinning back at him.

He was excited for a new life to begin. Four more years,j and then he would be in college. But for now, Sunggyu’s going to focus on high school. He wants to get really good grades so that he could get a nice scholarship. His family had barely any money, so he wants to be able to achieve the money on his own.

The wind picked up, making Sunggyu shiver and hug his jacket tighter to his chest. The porch light to his house and his mother stuck her head outside to look at them. She was wearing a beany, which was her trademark article of clothing. HIs mother was the sporty type of person, the complete opposite of him. She would take the boys out every Saturday to go hiking.

Sunggyu’s mother worked as a sport’s announcer with his step father. They had their own talk show, where they talk about sports daily. His mother enjoyed her job, even though it doesn’t make the family much money. She loves taking the boys to the studio and let them talk to her audience. It was a favorite pastime of Sunggyu’s.

His mother played every sport she could when she was in high school and college. She was even the captain of the debate team, lead actress in her high school drama club, head girl at her high school for three years, and she still ranked number one in her class. She was the valedictorian and received a full-ride scholarship to Seoul’s top sports university. Sunggyu was amazed about everything his mother could do. He wished he could have as much talent as she did.

Sunggyu is almost a nobody at his school. The only thing he’s known for is his voice. People only knew his name and his voice, not his face. The only extracurricular activities he did was the chess club. He was shy around other people and always got picked on because of his lisp. He only had Shindong and Ryeowook at school.

“Boys, let’s come on inside. It’s supposed to rain soon. Dinner will be ready in fifteen minutes,” Sunggyu’s mother called to them, breaking Sunggyu out of his thoughts. “Each of you clean up.”

The four boys pushed themselves off the ground, stretching out their limbs. EAch of them were exhausted from school and couldn’t wait to sit down and eat a meal. Tonight Sunggyu’s mom was making Italian food. Sunggyu has been begging her for ages to make spaghetti. Ever since he had it at Ryeowook’s house a few weeks back, he’s been dying to have some more.

His step father was a chef as well as a sport’s announcer. He knew so many foreign dishes and taught his wife each one. She then would try and cook one every Sunday night, and she would invite Sunggyu’s friends over for dinner. It became a tradition, and it never failed to be done each week. She’s been doing this for five years now.

The boys all trudged inside, heading for Sunggyu’s room. Once inside, Ilhoon head for his own room so he could finish his multiplication table. Shindong threw himself on the bed, leaving Sunggyu and Ryeowook to sit on the floor. Sunggyu leaned against the side of his bed, picking up his book. Sunggyu is an avid reader, to say the least.

Ryeowook and Shindong picked up a conversation about movies, knowing Sunggyu has already escaped to another world. The three of them were used to this, since it was a daily occurrence. Sunggyu’s friends knew not to disturb him while the boy was reading. The boy can be very snippy when he’s disturbed. That’s the life of Kim Sunggyu, they concluded.