8 ~ "Pools of Tears"

Why, You?

SooMi

Cancer? Oh god...oh my god...I was speechless...

"What...? No...no, no, no, no, no! This can't be happening! There must be some mistake! This isn't supposed to happen!" Wooyoung started freaking out and exploded. He ran his fingers through his hair and pulled at it.

"I'm sorry..." the doctor apologized.

"You're sorry..? No! No!" Wooyoung ran up to the doctor and held his shirt. "Check again! You're wrong! She can't have cancer! Check again! Damn it..." he loosened his grip and started tearing up as his head hung low.

"Wooyoung-ah...stop..." I managed to whisper.

"Stop? How can you not be panicking right now, SooMi? He just said you have cancer! Cancer!" he said as tears streamed down his face like waterfalls.

"This is a normal reaction...we'll leave you two alone...but Miss Jang, we're going to have to run some tests on you later and we'll discuss what's going to happen from now on, whenever you're ready." the doctor explained. I nodded without looking at him. As soon as he left the room, I looked at Wooyoung. He noticed and looked back at me. Then he pulled me into a tight hug.

"MiMi, you're gonna be ok, right? Right? You won't die on me, will you? No! You won't! You can't!" he buried his face in my shoulder and continued crying as he sobbed in my ear.

I can't even cry right now...I'm too shocked. My face has no expression. I can't think right now...too many thoughts are going through my head....Cancer? Am I going to die? What about my life? My friends, my family...what about Wooyoung and Taecyeon? What about JaeBeom...

"Wooyoung-ah" I whispered. At the sound of his name he shot up and looked at me. "Wooyoung-ah...you have to promise me...you have to promise me that you will not....will not tell JaeBeom about this, do you understand me?"He cannot know about this..." I felt a lump in my throat...I was on the verge of tears.

"But SooMi.."

"No buts!" I screamed. I couln't take it anymore...all the things that I've been holding in....tears...sobs...it all just came pouring out at that moment.

"Wooyoung-ah! Wooyoung!" I yelled his name as I clutched onto his shirt, bawling as my face was pressed against his chest. I don't want to die, I don't want to die, I don't want to die...

 

 

 

After what seemed like hours, Wooyoung went to fetch the doctor.

"Are you ready Miss Jang?" the doctor said upon entering the room.

"I'm ready"

"Alright, well what's going to happen is, we're going to run some tests on you. It'll be harmless..it's just to see how serious your cancer is right now...to see what stage you're in." I nodded as he continued. "You are going to start losing hair...probably in a few months or so..we will assign you one of our therapists in case you need someone to talk to about all this, ok?" I nodded again. "Another thing...we're going to have to transfer you to a hospital about 20 minutes from here. The only reason is because they specialize in cases such as yours. Alright?"

"I understand."

"Alright...well...good luck, I guess I should say." He held out his hand. I shook it and thanked him. Once we left the hospital, the first thing Wooyoung did was take out his phone and he started dialing.

"Yah, what did I say??? You can't tell JaeBeom!" I said trying to grab his phone form him.

"Who said anything about calling Jay?" he said. When the other line picked up he started talking. "Taecyeon? Hey we need to talk.....no, right now......I don't care if they won't let you leave!......Damn it, Taeceyeon! I will drag your here myself!...No, it can't wait.......Alright......I'll see you in 15...bye.."

"What'd he say?"

"He's gonna meet us at your place in 15 minutes, arasso?" Wooyoung told me.

"Arasso...." I said as we slowly made our way to my apartment.

15 minutes later...

*DING DONG*

I sat on the couch as Wooyoung got up to open the door, revealing Taecyeon standing in the doorstep.

"Come in" Wooyoung said and Taecyeon stepped inside.

"So what's so important that I'm gonna have to get my yelled at for leaving the TV station?" he said as he walked in. Wooyoung and I just looked at each other. I took a deep breath. I opened my mouth to speak, but was interrupted.

"SooMi...she..." he looked at me again before continuing. I nodded at him, letting him know that it's ok to just say it. "She...s-she..." he stuttered. Taecyeon just waited...

"SooMi has cancer." Wooyoung finally spit it out as he shut his eyes tight. We waited for Taecyeon's response. He said nothing...he just stared back and forth between me and Wooyoung. He put on a smile, but I could see the sadness in his eyes.

"Haha...cancer? That's why you called me here? Ha..come on, man, quit messing around..." he said playfully punching Wooyoung's arm. "That's not funny..." his voice cracked and I could see water forming in his eyes. His "smile" dropped. "Haha...that's not funny..." he started sobbing and I watched as his tears hit the floor of my apartment. "Not funny..."

"Taecyeon..." I got up from where I was sitting, walked over to him, and hugged him. At first, he just stood there as I hugged him, but soon enough he wrapped his own arms around me, squeezing me so tight that I couldn't breathe. Wooyoung just stood there watching us, in his own pool of tears.