Animal

Jekyll and Hyde
“I am a mistake of nature, a mad beast.”-Andrei Chikatilo, The Rostov Ripper

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My hands brushed against the steel walls of the container as I walked down the hall, my senses tingling at 100%. Ever since Minah pushed me down and ran away, my mind went through a rush of emotions. I wasn’t thinking. My basic instincts took over. I wasn’t a man anymore. I was an animal….. A beast….. And I was ready to hunt my prey. Despite the dark, I had a clear picture of the layout of the place. I knew the area like the back of my hand. I turned right the moment I reached a junction, walking directly to the ladder I knew was positioned there.

Climbing up one of the containers, I could hear the heavy breathing and footsteps of Minah, just on the other side of the container. My lips curled upwards as I realise she’s gotten lost, the containers forming a maze within the warehouse. Add to that, the warehouse was completely dark, illuminated only by the creeping moonlight and fading stars.

I knew she was absolutely hopeless. The darkness rendered her blind, and the fear was crippling her other senses. All of this was making her paranoid and helpless. Just what I needed. I scaled over the containers, jumping from one to another. As I jumped from one container to another, I made sure I was being hear. My landings were loud and gave away my position. This would scare her, and disorient her further. She’ll be so scared, she won’t think.

She’s just like me, acting on her basic instincts. She’s turning into a beast, just like me. The difference? I’m the predator, she’s my prey. Despite my heavy landings, my footsteps were light and silent. One moment I’ll be on her right side, next thing she knows, I’ll be on the left. She couldn’t pinpoint my exact location, making her paranoia grow.

“You better run, Minah-ya! You wouldn’t want to know what I’d do to you when I catch you!”

When she reached a junction, I decided to turn it up a notch. I jumped off of the container, right in front of her. The moonlight shone through the windows, right onto my face, highlighting my presence. My lips were unnaturally curled upwards, my teeth gleaming under the light. A low growl escaped my mouth. I was more animal than human at that moment. My presence threw her off her feet. She landed backwards on her bum, her face fixated on mine. Despite the dark, I could see her face clearly. My eyes were already adjusted to the dark, and how I savoured the horror on her face.

“You should continue running, lest you want me to show you what I’m capable of.”

I didn’t move from my spot, allowing her time to scramble herself up and run away. I was highly amuse, so to speak. I was enjoying this small game of cat and mouse. I started running after her, scaling up the containers again, this time without a ladder.

This game continued for while till I started to get tired of it. I had had enough. I wanted her. Badly. This animal was hungry for piece of meat. Just as I was about to jump off of the container, I heard the sound of the warehouse doors opening. The noise made me spin around, annoyed by the interference. Apparently I wasn’t the only one who heard the door. Minah started running towards the sounds, screaming for help the whole way.

, this could be troublesome. I should stick to the shadows first and scope things out. I continued chasing after Minah, this time I was deathly quiet. I can’t play around this time. Once she leads me to the intruders, I’ll just kill all of them, Minah included. I’m already starting to lose my patience.