Chapter 20. [The King's Castle]

Deeply Found

I swallowed a heavy lump in my throat as the end of the sword almost cut into my neck. Taemin glared at the gnome who smirked at him with interest in his eyes. I bit my lip and got on to the small carriage, a few magical-like horses in the front of it. 

 

There was a rancid smell in the carriage as we tumbled in. Dried blood was over the bamboo walls and the straws looked wet. The 3 of us huddle in a corner where it seem the most cleanest and with the window to let us breathe some air from the smell of urine and possibly rotting flesh as well. 

 

"So this is how we will get into the castle?" I hissed, jerking slightly forward as the hooves began to move, the sound of the only thing progressing since we arrived. 

 

"Better than my plan to sneak in," Kai muttered and touch his belt as if to check on something. 

 

Taemin shifted slightly, his sword was hidden in the sheath on his back. I touched the hilt of my double sword in my boots, touching the necklace around my neck. Taemin noticed and knew I was anxious to be in a foreign land and got into danger within less than 5 minutes after tumbling out of the portal. I felt his hand over mine and saw the pictures in his mind, calming my anxious heart. 

 

"We are here.." Kai breathed as the hooves stopped and there was a loud groaning noise outside. I could barely make out from the window but I saw a huge door with metal rusty hinges supporting them. The door made a small bridge to the opening and the river below it.

 

There was a sweet smell coming from under the bridge and the streaming running through it was dark crimson. I blinked and stared at the stream, seeing something floating nearer to where we were. I widened my eyes and almost screamed when I realise what it was. Kai covered my mouth and pull me down just as I heard the devilish chuckle of the gnome who caught my eyes. 

 

"What the hell!" 

 

"I...I saw..." 

 

"They may be a castle full of dreams but they are also full of nightmares too," Kai breathed, "You'll learn about them in class unless you two weren't paying attention at all." Kai breathed, his body jerking along as the carriage moved into the castle grounds. 

 

The sound of hooves on the stone floor of the castle grounds as it came to a slow halt. I fell on Kai who winked and grin small before he turned to Taemin. 

 

"Whatever you think you wanna do, don't think about it. Gnomes are full of lies. Don't believe a word. Don't say a word to them. Don't let them know your weaknesses," Kai hissed before the back of the carriage door threw open. 

 

Taemin was the first to be drag out, before I did. I stumbled and tried to stand up, brushing my jeans off of dirt. Kai followed behind, one of the armed gnomes snickering at him. Kai just shrug the grip off, walking along with us as they lead us into the castle. The huge wooden doors creaked as it open, the rust on the door hinges were visible. Taemin walked behind, letting Kai take the lead. The interior was full of tapestries and hanging chandeliers. There was guards as we walked further in, lined up against the walls of the castle. I glanced at their covered masks, catching one's eyes who stick his long tongue and his lips at me. I shivered at action, feeling digusted and gulped, afraid to be perhaps, their next meal. 

 

Gnomes weren't that friendly as what we predicted. Every one thought gnomes were creatures of the earth, helping out and sowing their gardens. However, gnomes were vicious creatures. Anything that breathed the air, they would consume without hesitating. With their long tongues and scissored-like teeth, they eat anything that had blood in it. I remembered learning about how they lure their food in, their tongues were long but full of lies that could convince anyone into believing them. There were tales where missing children were lured away from playgrounds, gnomes dressed well and blend well with the surroundings,acting as ice-cream man or candy-man. They would lure the children away before bringing them into grounds where we are restricted to attack them before eating their flesh, living and hot-bloodied. 

 

We walked through the long hallway before reaching another door at the end of it. Decorated with vines around the door and the whole entire wall, I glanced at Kai who glanced up. Taemin looked up and set his jaw tight. I inhale a slight sweet smell, feeling slightly light-headed. I heard something growing and cracking from the wall before I was met with a huge flower as tall as my height. I realise the smell was coming from it, the stigma was dripping with honey. I like my lips and lifted my hand, wanting to touch it. Kai widened his eyes and tried to pull me away. Taemin grabbed me and gave one look at Kai who stood in my place. 

 

Kai had stronger resistance than I was. He stared hard into one of the petals and hissed a language I couldn't understand. I looked at Taemin and giggled slightly. Taemin sighed and shook me slightly. 

 

"Taeminnie~" 

 

"Wake up, Sun Min... Its the smell..." He hissed, knowing his acts were being judge by the guards surrounding us, "Crap... Sun Min," 

 

Badly as I wanted to pull myself away, I couldn't resist. We barely completed the mission and here I was intoxicated. I tried to close my eyes and resist the temptation but my body was pulling me towards it. Taemin pinned me down before he raised his hand and smack my cheek hard. I felt the pain overwhelmed me and my eyes shot open at the impact, making myself blink. 

 

"Oww!" I hissed, glaring at Taemin.

 

"Sorry... I had to," Taemin bit his lip and help me up just as the door creaked open. 

 

Kai turned to us and jerked his head to the open door. I tried to find for the flower which I heard a slight groan above me, realising the flower had taken shape of the top of the door frame. I picked myself up and walked towards the carpeted floor, Kai leading us in. Taemin touched his back, ensuring his sword was still strap behind his back as he walked in. I gulped and breathed, walking with my head high, remembering not to show my weaknesses. 

 

"Ah...The convoy is here," 

 

I looked at the throne where a young boy stood. His skin was beautiful and pale, a slightly sheen of pastel blue and pink shone under the reflection of the sunlight. He walked down gracefully, his long train followed him as he stood in front of us. I caught his pastel green eyes and his hair had a tinge of pastel on it as well. He looked like an ordinary boy until he his lips, the tongue similar to those of the gnomes and it send a shiver down my spine. 

 

He glanced at Kai and grinned. Kai looked at him, looking down at him since he was slightly taller. I saw a slight tension passed between them and wondered if this was ever the first time Kai had came here before. Then again, they both look... 

 

"I can hear your thoughts," The boy spoke, before breaking his gaze at Kai and glance at me. 

 

He looked at me and his face fell slightly before his face froze slightly. He gave me a slight look before he walked up to me. His eyes were beautiful upfront, his lips were full. He gazed at me before he lifted a hand to touch my face. 

 

"Don't touch her," 

 

I gasped when I heard the warning, glancing at Taemin who stared at the third person who came with us. Kai stepped in between us and push me away, letting Taemin take me. I blinked and watch as the tension grew between them both. 

 

"Oh..Kai," The boy gave a tight smile and sighed, "You are always a spoilt sport," 

 

"We are here to settle business," Kai spoke, his words strained. 

 

"Of course, my brother," The boy went back up to his throne. 

 

I froze when I realise who he had called Kai and finally all fit the puzzle. The boy on the throne was Kai's half-brother. Kai had never spoke of his family matters but then again, we were never close and we never ask him. Taemin froze but kept his stiff composure, being alert as the boy took the throne and sat on it. I gulped and bit my lip, looking at boy who waved his hand in the air. 

 

"I forgot," He said, his voice light as a feather, "To introduce myself, how rude of me." 

 

He grinned and bend his body forward, his eyes staring at Kai's intensely. I saw a smirk forming on his lips before he spoke again. 

 

"I'm Kal, Kai's half-brother..King of the Castle of Dreams," 

 

* * * * * *

 

Taemin stared hard at Kal who raised his legs up and drape them over one of the throne's armrest. Sun Min watched as Kai froze and watch his brother intensely. His jaw was tight and his hands curled up into fists by his sides. 

 

Sun Min didn't want to stay there a minute longer. She pull away from Taemin and stood in front of Kai. Kal raised his chin as he watched her, his interest captured on her beauty. 

 

Even her graceful walking.

 

"We don't have time," Sun Min spoke, her words sharp and quick, "We need you to come with us," 

 

"Why should I do that?" Kal spoke, raising an eyebrow at her direction, "Who are you to speak to me with poor manners?" 

 

Sun Min felt a muscle twitch in her jaw as she bowed respectfully to Kal. A hand went up to her heart, remembering what she was taught about gnomes and the kingdom. 

 

"King of Dreams, we need your presence back at the Academy," Sun Min started, "We come in peace and respect under Lee Soo Man," 

 

"Ah... I've always had respect for that man," Kal forced a laugh, "Well, not really.... That was the previous King whom I killed and his blood fills the stream of red outside the castle grounds," 

 

Sun Min felt a pinch of hatred for the boy in front of her. She stood up and open to say something before he cut her off. 

 

"However," He straightened himself and look at her, his cold eyes glaring into her soul, "You are so much more beautiful in person than what the rumors say among the different creatures and kingdoms..." 

 

Sun Min was caught off guard, frozen in place. She saw a slight movement at the corner of her eye. Kai cursed under his breath and touch the hilt of his lasso. 

 

Kai spoke, his voice full of digust, "Don't you think its enough... Stop playing games with us, brother," 

 

Kal's high pitched laugh fill the room and Kai glanced at Taemin. They both had a defense pose. Taemin touched the hilt of his sword, his hand finding Sun Min's. Sun Min gave him some of her energy. 

 

"I'm only convinced if I have a show to entertain me," Kal said, waving his hand in the air. 

 

Suddenly he disappear, appearing again at a deck above them. Sun Min blinked and groaned just as Taemin hissed at her. 

 

"Sun Min, sword!" 

 

Sun Min blinked and turned just as something huge emerged from the side of the wall. A door appeared magically and part of the tapestry had torn apart from the creature which was let loose. 

 

Sun Min first thought of a bull, the creature's horns were thick and sharp to the end. She can imagine it killing one of them fiercely with a sharp pierce through. Sun Min thought it might be easier to cut those horns off until the creature began to rise on its huge hooves. 

 

The creature breathed hard, filling the room with a rancid and digusted smell of its insides. Its mouth was bloodied and dripping with thick red liquid which one would not need to guess what it was. The hands were big and huge as it clench into fists before it looked around, the black hollow eyes searching. 

 

Taemin could see his reflection in those eyes. He never felt more terrified for his life but something was surging in him. He felt something pull him together in a tight circle before it unleashed a pair of fiery wings out like a phoenix soaring. 

 

"Taemin!" 

 

He heard Sun Min screamed just as the creature threw a fist at his direction. Taemin flew back, leaping effortlessly and landed at the bend, pushing himself off to give him enough push. He grabbed the hilt of his sword and swing it out, seeing his reflection in the creature's eyes as he came closer and brought the sword down. 

 

One of the horns dropped to the ground, breaking the stones underneath at its impact. Kai took the opportunity of its distraction, throwing his lasso out and grabbed both of its ankles. He whispered a rune and he pulled tight, the creature falling on the ground. 

 

Sun Min moved just as the creature screamed in pain and horror, its anger flared up. Sun Min cursed as the creature's freed hands almost grab her, whispering runes just as her swords unleashed. She twirled it gracefully, slashing the fingers of the creature before throwing herself high and use her inner strength to unleash her inner power out. 

 

A bolt of lightning appeared in her hand just as she landed on the creature's chest, piercing the bolt into the heart. The creature screamed before it turned into ashes. Sun Min leaped gracefully down, wiping the blood off her blade with the remains of the creature's cloth that was on the floor. 

 

Kai breathed in and out, having seen the magnificent of the duo in front of his eyes. He had heard so much about the prophecy but never would he thought it was powerful. He stood beside Sun Min who flashed a shy smile at his direction. Taemin landed on his feet gently, the slight wind from his landing almost stunned Kai, thinking he did have wings. 

 

"What's your verdict?" Sun Min looked at Kal who seem impressed with the battle. 

 

Kal leaped from the top deck, landing gracefully in front of the trio. He stood up, touching the ashes of the dead creature and with a wave of his hand, the ashes disappeared. 

 

"So...how do we get there?" Kal asked, a small smile lingering on his lips, his eyes focused on Sun Min.