Chapter 13. [The Ball.]

Deeply Found

The next few weeks after that, things were stirring up in school. 

 

There were news of Jessica and Taemin becoming the next couple. I watched as things went down and people witnessing them hanging out more. I didn't say anything and kept quiet. My brothers were concerned and were trying hard to not find fault with Taemin. Myungsoo keep looking out for me, feeling his stares as I walked through the hallways like a silent prey. Key sighed and watched hopelessly as the change in me caught on. I just wanted everything to go. I wouldn't speak to any of them, eating less during the week after and then not appearing at all. 

 

Mr. Lee tried to talk to me but it wouldn't push in to me. I was more freaked out by his actions than his words. I had already been called in to his office a couple of times in a week. Things were getting stuffier and I realised why. The ball was coming and everyone was getting excited about it. Girls were making their way out of the school to buy their own gowns and guys were trying on the tuxedos they had order in mass. I stayed in my room as the excitement around me grew. 

 

Finally allowed to bring one reference book back with me, courtesy by the librarian, I began to read more and research more on my background and other things. I read on how to kill creatures of different types and minds, typing it all out on my laptop as I sat in bed. I didn't hear Taemin come in but he leaned against me when he spoke. 

 

"What are you doing?" 

 

I didn't flinch, staring at my laptop as I keyed in the new information I had over the topic from the book. 

 

"Researching." I whispered, trying hard not to care about his scandal with Jessica. He touched my cheek and trace down my jaw gently. 

 

"You know about the Annual Ball.." He began and I almost froze when I told myself to ignore it and let him continue, typing on the keys as quick as I can. 

 

"What about it?" I asked, not looking away but was slightly distracted by his touch as he trailed down my shoulder and arm. 

 

"I tried on the tuxedo...I think I will look great in it." He said, "Do you?" 

 

"Of course, you would..." I replied without a care, typing on my keys and referring back to the book. 

 

"And about the date-" 

 

"If you wanna go with someone else, go ahead." I replied quickly, feeling my heart constricted and squeezed. I tried hard not to get distracted as I tried to look at what I was typing from the book and reread the lines again. 

 

He didn't move as he stayed where he was. He pulled his finger away from me and didn't say anything else as he slipped out of the door and head back out again. I use my sense of hearing to hear him walked up to the Venia door and knocked on it. I closed my eyes and listened as the girls called Jessica out and the two started flirting again. I breathed as Taemin muttered the question to her to which she had asked him before. Before I could hear the answer, I zoned out and shut the laptop firmly on the bed. 

 

I breathed and tried to hold back the tears that was coming to my eyes. I need a distraction now. I cursed and move the things away, trying to calm myself down before I burned anything down. I looked down and willed myself to head to the courtyard to practice. I didn't care what time it was, grabbing my bag and changed into my training uniform, heading down. 

 

I walked passed the halls to the dorms and turned to check no one saw me when I regretted. 

 

Just near the Venia door, Taemin and Jessica seem to be sharing a sweet kiss. I bit my lip, my insides twisted and boiled. I looked away and ran down the hallways, ignoring the stares of others who were still hanging around the campus. It was close to dinner time and I didn't want to be notice again. I slipped in through the corridor and slipped in through the courtyard. Once I was in, I felt my eyes bawled as the fire emerged from my palms and circled around me.

 

I was angry and furious with everything. It began with me and now look where it got me into. I groaned in anger and cried out, the fire forming from me was powerful. I let it burn me as my uniform was almost left with nothing. I stopped when I realised it got too out of hand, spraying water around me to put off the fire. I was still angry but my mind was more reasonable than my feelings. I tried to cool myself down, grabbing another pair of pants I had in my training bag, changing quick before I head to the fighting equipment and started throwing punches and kicks. 

 

I groaned, not even wrapping my hands and feet with white bandage to protect myself. The punches and kicks were coming fast and quick, like it was already part of my ability. I didn't stop until I realise it was dark. I looked at the time and realise that Taemin and Mr. Park might be coming anytime soon. I grabbed my stuff and made sure everything was in my bag before I left the facility. 

 

* * * * * * 

 

"Still no sign of Sun Min?" Mr. Park ask Taemin as they walked down the hallway to the courtyard. 

 

"Nope." Taemin said it with a pop from his lips. 

 

"Someone's happy..." Mr. Park commented, "I heard that Jessica and you were going out together?" 

 

Taemin grinned though it didn't meet his eyes. He felt a strong guilt and pain in his guts and heart, thinking about Sun Min. He tried to play it cool, nodding with a smile. 

 

"Yeah...we are going to the ball tomorrow together." Taemin looked at Mr. Park who nodded. 

 

"What about Sun Min?" He asked again, "Aren't you two an item?" 

 

Taemin quickly wave it off with his hand and shrugged, forcing a laugh. Mr. Park stopped him as they stood in front of the door to the courtyard. Taemin looked at him before he raised his eyebrows. 

 

"What is it?" Taemin asked. 

 

"Whatever you're doing, you will regret it..." Mr. Park said, "I know you wanted so bad to protect Sun Min with the training but you need to think that she wants to try to protect you and everyone else as well," 

 

"She has something big in her fate and she can't do it alone but she can overcome it by herself. Her powers in you are only a small percentage. She still have the rest and if something happens, it might be a disaster." 

 

Taemin kept quiet and regard Mr. Park's words. He sighed and didn't say anything as Mr. Park patted his back and smile, opening the door and entered the courtyard. 

 

Taemin followed, feeling more guilt was eating him up. He remembered hearing someone running behind him when he was close to kissing Jessica when she said yes. He knew who it was since they were bonded. However, he realise how much he has been missing out. The bond was fragile now. He cannot sense her unless he was close to her. He cannot feel her or even navigate her already. He felt the sudden pull from her suddenly and he was afraid of it snap anytime. He was careful but he realised he was doing it all wrong. He quietly put his bag down when Mr. Park whistled and shook his head. 

 

Taemin turned to where Mr. Park stood. He looked on the ground where Mr. Park was looking too. He saw a huge black circle against the rocks. It looked burnt and the circle form a deep ring into the ground. Mr. Park knelt and touched the ashes left of the stonefloor and shook his head. 

 

"It's a disaster already.." Mr. Park whispered, touching the ashes and watch it be blown away by the wind. 

 

Taemin felt his whole muscles froze and realised who Mr. Park was talking about. He bit his lip hard and felt his hands curled into fists, feeling a huge guilt eating his insides up almost all the way. 

 

* * * * * *

 

I avoided Taemin the whole night till the next day. I had slept in the roof garden, curling up and crying as I recalled the whole incident in my head. I sighed softly as I heard Taemin came back from training and washed up, before he slipped into the walk-in wadrobe and changed. He stopped by the bed, not getting in, his footsteps shuffling beneath him. He stood there for a whole 5 minutes, not doing anything, I suppose from what I was hearing before he slid into the bed and fell asleep. 

 

I had formed my own bed with the vines of the morning glory using my powers. The vines welcomed me, criss crossing over me till I was a cocoon. I slept it away till the next morning. I listened as Taemin woke up, staying still for another 5 minutes before he made his way to the bathroom and showered. He quickly changed and his phone rang. I listened till he answered. 

 

"Hey Jessica," He spoke and I zoned out completely. I gave him 10 minutes till I was free to head back down to my own room.

 

Everyone was at breakfast, excited about the ball. I showered and changed, grabbing the library book and laptop and head to the library before the students were released from breakfast. I didn't spoke to anyone else, ignoring the taperstries that were hanging around the hallways to remind me of the ball that was happening later. I hugged my bag closer as I strolled into the library and nodded to the librarian who smiled at me. 

 

The whole day, I busied myself with the books, moving on to the 5th row when the librarian came up to me and reminded me that they were closing early because of the ball. I blinked and nodded, picking up my stuff and head out. I walked through the hallways, biting my lip and hung my head low. I could feel the eyes of others watching me before I felt something splat on my uniform. I looked down and found a broken egg on me, the inside dripping down to my skirt. I kept on going as more eggs were thrown on me. I didn't say anything as I kept on walking. 

 

"Enjoy the eggs!" Jessica laughed along with the rest who burst out laughing at me. 

 

I didn't stop, listening to hear if Taemin was in the room and entered when he wasn't in. I stripped off my uniform and dumped them in the waste basket. I locked the shower and quickly shower, getting the eggs off of my hair and skin. I scrubbed it hard, feeling angry and embarassed. I felt humiliated and ashamed. I know now why Taemin could have left me. I was no one in the school. Jessica was popular by all means. 

 

I cried and felt my knees gave way as I fell on the bathroom floor and let another round of tears engulf me. I cried my heart out, I cried for myself, I cried for Taemin, I cried for everything. I realise how bad it looks right now and sniffled. I quickly snapped out of it and head out, drying myself and went to the walk-in wadrobe. Seeing the gowns that was placed there by Sunny, I remembered the ball later. I looked at the gowns, seeing the various of colors and textures that amazed me. 

 

I decided that I should go and it up to those losers about me. I tried to see what would suit best when I lay my eyes on a red dress. It has a character that screams out Danger and Fire at the same time. The dress had red feathers that was designed off the single shoulder strap. The dress cascade down gracefully and met the floor. I bit my lip and wore it on. The feeling of the dress on me was majestic. I felt like the whole world could bow on their knees before me. 

 

I quickly did my hair and make up by myself, having remembered how Key does it for me for special occasions. I waited till it was slightly later when the ball had already began. I picked up the skirt and walked to the venue with confidence. Once I reached the hallway to the Main Hall, a few others were already out of the event hall for air and for stolen kisses. Their eyes dragged upon me as they watched me walked to the ball with my chin up. The girls threw jealous glances over at me as the boys were drooling for me. 

 

I didn't stop until I reached the door and watch it open for me. 

 

The dance floor was full of people in their gowns and suits, dancing in a graceful manner. The long tables were replaced with round ones with chairs surrounding it. I looked around to find my clique and stride in. Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at me before whispering and gossiping about me. I could hear their voices and ignore them, making my way to the furthest table. When my brothers and friends look up, they nearly splutter over their drinks.

 

"Oh god..." Sungjong said, "Sun Min... you look..." 

 

"Hot." Kevin finished, staring at me up and down. 

 

I blushed and smile softly, curtseyed in front of them, "Thank you.." 

 

Key was shocked, "Where did you get this dress?!" 

 

"It was in my walk-in wadrobe... why?" I asked, seating myself between Myungsoo and Minho who was looking at me with hungry eyes. 

 

"It suits you..." Key whispered, "Very well... And I will dig out those eyes who are looking at my sister with that hungry look!" 

 

Everyone cleared their throats and took a sip of their drinks. I giggled and took a sip of the drink in front of me, my lips. Mhmm...sweet. I look at the dancers waltz around the dance floor and spotted Taemin. He grinned and laughed, entertaining Jessica. Jessica smile and giggled, dressed in a pink bubble dress with white chiffon cloth of it. I tried to look away and looked at the plate of goodies in front of me. Stealing one dessert and earning a grumble from Onew, I ate up and smile. 

 

"Its time for the Annual Ball Circle!" Someone announced from the stage, as the dancers on the dance floor dissipated and tried to form a circle. 

 

I felt a nudge and looked at Minho who smiled at me. 

 

"Care for a dance?" 

 

I smiled and took his awaiting hand, "Yes please.." 

 

He lead me to the circle as we joined them. I looked at Minho who smiled softly and whispered, "You look beautiful..." 

 

I smiled and blushed, "You look dashingly hot." 

 

He grinned as we danced on the spot. He commented on others and I laughed, giggling and looked around. Thats when I realised that Taemin spotted me and was staring at me than staring at his date. I turned away and tried to get distracted when the music changed and we moved on to the next partner on the right. Minho grinned and danced with his new partner, introducing himself and spoke a few words. I danced with a tall and slender guy who grinned and tried to introduce himself to me. I let him, trying not to get distracted as Taemin was only a few dancers ahead. The dance stopped and the girls twirled in their dresses to the next partner. 

 

I did so, biting my lip and danced. I let myself get distracted by the different partners, getting to know them as I danced with them. I grin and giggled, some were more interesting than others. I thanked the guy name SungJa who chuckled handsomely before the music shifted and I twirled into the next partner's arms. 

 

I looked up and tried not to get distracted as Taemin held one hand by my waist and another in my hand. I felt the butterflies coming as I looked down at my dress and looked anywhere else other than him. Taemin kept quiet as he danced with me. I bit my lip and tried to pull away when the music almost came to an end. 

 

"Sun Min.." Taemin called out my name like a prayer before he let me twirled away from him and into another partner's arms. 

 

I kept quiet and tried to distract myself from him who was just beside me. I looked at the person who held me, greeting me and talked to me.  I smiled kindly and listened, being quick to focus and nodded. I spoke a few words and share a laugh before I flitted to the next person and then to the next. 

 

Upon my 14th partner, I twirled and landed in the arms of my next partner. Before I looked up, a soft voice spoke. 

 

"Sun Min...my queen.." 

 

I froze and looked at the person who was dancing with me. I looked at the person again, realising that there was something different about this person. He smiled the most beautiful smile and looked at me in the eyes with flames behind them. I bit my lip and tried to pull away when I realise who it was behind this person. I gasped as the guy pulled me into a secret door when the dancers were to change partner. 

 

I fight the urge to scream but I couldn't. I whimpered and tried to step on the guy with my heels but he seem to ignore the pain. He covered my mouth with his as he tried to fight back against my struggles. I groaned and tried to fight more, trying to burn his hands when a cloth covered my nose and mouth. I took a deep breath and gasped, feeling light-headed. Soon, I fell into his arms and was thrown over his shoulder, my eyes closing in as I fell into unconsciousness. 

 

* * * * * * 

 

Minho smiled and danced away when he noticed something was amiss. He looked around the other dancers and tried to find Sun Min. His eyes raked over the dresses before he realised she was not there. 

 

He excused himself from the girl he was dancing with, apologising to her when he saw her getting upset and stormed away in her clicking heels. He turned behind and went to the table. Everyone looked up at him and blinked. 

 

"Whats wrong?" Jonghyun asked just as Taemin ran over and panted. 

 

"Where is Sun Min?!" Taemin panicked, "She is not on the dance floor anymore!" 

 

Key blinked and looked up, standing and looked around for his dongsaeng. He groaned when he called the energy in the room and spread it around to sense the dark energy. When he felt it, he cursed. 

 

"! Sun Min is gone!" He said, looking at all of their faces, "Hye Kyu must be here..." 

 

"Oh .." Myungsoo rubbed his face and stared at all of them. 

 

"No...that can't be... the place is shield up with wards!" Sunggyu hissed but Woohyun answered, "Even so... Hye Kyu could possess someone and bring her to him." 

 

All eyes were on Taemin and Taemin felt a hard force jabbing at him. He looked at them and bit his lip, knowing what they were trying to ask from him. He tried his best to sense her but again he failed too. He rubbed his face and threw his hands in his in frustration. 

 

"I...I can't sense her anymore...eversince that day-" 

 

"You !" Myungsoo pinned him on the wall. 

 

Taemin hung his head low as the rest tried to pull Myungsoo apart. Myungsoo growled and stared at Taemin with a glare. Taemin sighed and tried to straightened himself. The nearest tables were already staring and wondering what was going on. Key stood in between them both and hissed. 

 

"We have to find her. Now! Go!" He shooed everyone out and stared at Taemin who looked down and stared at Key. 

 

Key shook his head and ran out with the others. Taemin sighed and cursed, tugging on his hair as he loosen his tie and threw it on the table. He groaned and cursed more under his breath as he remembered how she looked when he had her in his arms. His heart ache for her but he knew she was hurting so badly inside when she didn't look at him in the eyes and took a look at the skirt of her dress. He noticed how she had started to ignore him and the pain when she was focused on the partner beside her. He almost pinned the guy down because of the way he looked at her. He wished they didn't have to go this way, running out of the hall quickly and tried to find her. 

 

The girl in the red dress is mine... He shot out a warning to Hye Kyu whom he knew was near as he ran for the exits in search for her.