Chapter 19. [Assignment]

Deeply Found

"We have to bring up the game..." 

 

"What...How even-" 

 

Mr. Park paced in front of us. I bit my lip and felt Taemin grabbed my hand, holding his. My mind was suddenly cleared and I could hear the thoughts in his head. 

 

I think he means...

 

We are going on war...

 

I looked at Taemin who then glanced at me. I tightened my grip around his hand and felt his hand tightened just the same. My brothers and friends were standing with us, all of us were summoned from classes. 

 

Here we are, standing in front of Mr. Park's desk in his office. I wondered when is this ever going to end. They were restless, looking at each other. 

 

"What do you mean, Mr. Park?" I asked, watching as Mr. Park slowed his steps and leaned against the table. 

 

"There will be an assignments given to all of you..." He began, looking at us. 

 

"Assignments?" 

 

"What kind of-" 

 

"We are gathering strength...Aren't we?" Key asked, his eyes staring at Mr. Park. 

 

"Strength?" Sunggyu asked, "What are we talking about exactly?"

 

"The assignments will be given to you soon," Mr. Park said, not answering our questions. He turned away and flicked his wrist to let us go. 

 

I looked at Taemin and followed everyone out. Everyone was mumbling, wondering what was going on. 

 

"Kibum...Woohyun...I need to speak to you," 

 

"Neh.." Woohyun replied with Key rolling his eyes and turned sharply around. 

 

I looked at them both and felt Taemin tugged on me to go. I bit my lip and watch as Mr. Park closed the office door, meeting my eyes. The door closed and I looked at Taemin. 

 

"Nothing will happen to them," Taemin whispered, "They are stronger than all of us, remember..?" 

 

"But..." 

 

"Taemin...Sun Min...back to class." Sungjong called, waiting for us. 

 

* * * * *

 

"Hey..."

 

I blinked and looked around, "Hmm?" 

 

"You are zoning out," Taemin said, eating his rice bowl. 

 

I looked around and noticed everyone was eating. I stared at my rice bowl which was barely untouched. Taemin looked at me and ate again. I picked up my spoon and scooped up my rice to eat. 

 

"What is it?" 

 

"I'll tell you later..." I whispered, seeing Key and Woohyun coming towards our table. 

 

I smiled at Key as he came up to us. I noticed something was different. Key looked at me, his smile was there but his eyes were not meeting his expression. 

 

"Oppa.." 

 

"Sun Min ah..." Key suddenly hugged me. 

 

I blinked and hugged him, seeing Woohyun chatting with everyone else. Both of them weren't going to sit with us. I looked at them both and felt Key pulled away. 

 

"Do what is best in your heart.." He whispered, before finally pulling away and hugged Taemin. 

 

I blinked, wondering what was going on. It felt like they were.. 

 

"Aren't you going to eat?" Onew asked them both. 

 

"Oh...we ate with Mr. Park earlier," Woohyun replied, smiling and met my eyes. 

 

"We need to catch up on our lessons with Mr. Lee," Key said, his expression was wavering soon. 

 

"Oppa..." I whispered, holding on to Key's hand. My heart was feeling a sudden dread.

 

"Take care, Sun Min ah...Taemin...Take care of her well," Woohyun said, giving me a brief hug. 

 

I looked at them and watch them as they left, waving. Key turned back and look at me, his lips in a tight line and his eyes were sad. I felt the need to run to them, seeing my mother's expression in his leave. 

 

Suddenly I stood up, the whole table looking at me. 

 

"Sun Min..." 

 

"Whats wrong?" 

 

I started for the door, running towards where they were headed. Key and Woohyun turned to the door, getting out quickly. Key looked down, knowing I was coming. 

 

I tried to pick up speed, my breath in pants. I was cursing as to why our table were on the other end of the door. 

 

"O-oppa...Oppa!" 

 

I could feel this tightening in my chest as the distance between Key and I grew. This emptiness that sudden filled my heart. My hand felt warm where Key held my hand before he let go. I gasped and raised my voice. 

 

"OPPA!" 

 

Heads turned and stared at me as I ran to the door, seeing Key's hand slowly disappearing. Shouts were heard, footsteps running behind me. 

 

"SUN MIN!" Taemin was yelling, running after me. 

 

"Whats going on?!" I heard Myungsoo shouted at the back. 

 

"KEY OPPA! WOOHYUN OPPA!" 

 

My cheeks felt wet and I gasped for air as my nostrils were blocked. There was a heavy lump in my throat and I took another deep breath in as I could finally reach the door. 

 

I felt a sudden sunction coming from the slight opening of where Key left with Woohyun, sliding my fingers in between the opening and pry open enough for me to see as Key and Woohyun entered a blackhole. 

 

I shouted for Key and tried to reach for him. Key turned and stared at me, his eyes gave way as he walked into the blackhole. Suddenly time slowed down and I gasped, feeling my whole body was in resistance as I tried to reach for my brother. 

 

Woohyun looked and turned away. Key took a deep breath and closed his eyes just as he slipped further into the darkness with Woohyun and then- 

 

"OPPA!" I felt the resistance release itself and my whole body lurched forward. 

 

Taemin grabbed my waist from behind and I fought hard against him. My vision was blurred but that was it. I saw what happened. I finally felt the sharp snap in me and Taemin swallowed a whole breath of air. The others felt it too, Sungjong falling on the ground at the sudden impact within us. 

 

"Andwae!!!" I screamed, crying as Key and Woohyun who was there earlier... was gone. 

 

They were gone. 

 

"Sun..Sun Min..." Taemin pulled me close and I collapsed on the ground, bawling my eyes out. 

 

Everyone looked at each other and surrounded me, stunned at what they just saw. I called out for Key's name over and over again, the one and only oppa who cared for me the most since the passing of our parents. 

 

The corridors were filled with my cries, the emptiness of losing my one and only brother enclosed me. 

 

 

* * * * *

 

"Oppa..." I whispered, curling up in bed. 

 

Taemin pulled me closer and backhugged me. I sighed and sniffled, wondering what was going on right now. So many questions in my head, one after the other....I was going to explode! 

 

So many things were happening at one time. I felt like a fish out of water, gasping for the oxygen that was depleting as time goes by with every breath I took. 

 

"Sun Min...We need to seek answers ourselves," Taemin whispered, my breath were shaky everytime I breathed. 

 

"Di-didn't you felt it..." I whispered, my hands curling up around the last thing that Key gave me, "That connection..I-it was gone..." 

 

Taemin kept quiet and I felt his feelings. I saw what he felt and I sighed, closing my eyes and bit my lip. I know they all felt it. Like rubber band, it snapped back so hard, the impact still suffered us all. 

 

I took a deep breath and opened my eyes just as someone knocked on the door of our dorm. Taemin kissed my cheek and sighed heavily, letting go of me. I heard his footsteps went down the spiral stairs before he opened the heavy wooden door. Voices were heard before the door was shut again and Taemin came back to me. 

 

"Sun Min..." Taemin knelt in front of me and his fingers delicately brushed my fringe behind my ear. 

 

"Sun Min...Mr. Lee wants to see us both. Jongin is waiting for us." 

 

"No.." I croaked, still saddened by the sudden lost of my brother. 

 

"He might have the answers we seek," Taemin whispered and look at me. His eyes reflected the pain of mine. I could feel he was in pain too but he felt it whole when he sees me in mine. 

 

I looked at him and wiped my tears. I took a deep breath and got up slowly, brushing my hair back. My eyes hurt, red and swollen from the crying. I decided its now or never, agreeing that it is up to us now to find our answers and make decisions. 

 

"Tell Kai to give us 5 minutes..." I whispered and slid on my bedroom slippers, "I'll wash up..." 

 

Taemin nodded and left with a kiss on my forehead. His footsteps echoed down the staircase as I made my way heavily into the bathroom. I stared at myself in the mirror, my face looking like it was stepped on by a horse. I opened the tap and splashed cold water on my face before I reached for the face towel and wiped my face. 

 

My mind was brewing with questions. The thought of meeting Mr.Lee for answers might be what I need now. I touched the cold accessory on my neck and trace the soft runes on it. 

 

Moments later, I was walking down the hallway with Taemin and Kai. Taemin was dressed in his training suit, leather that looks good on him, no doubt. So was Kai. I was wearing mine, Taemin telling me to wear it when I came out of the bathroom earlier on. 

 

I felt more confident in my training wear. The leather shirt wrapped around my body well, allowing me to do sharper and faster moves well. It felt like a second skin on me, another protective layer. I tied my hair into a braid, walking down to Mr. Lee's office with our boots barely making noise. 

 

Kai knocked on the door and a voice echoed for us to enter. He gave me a small smile, knowing what happened earlier to us during lunch break. He entered first and bowed respectfully to the man who brought us here. 

 

"What have you done to Key and Woohyun oppa!" I suddenly raised my voice, my anger fueling my need of finding the truth. 

 

"Sun Min," Taemin grabbed my wrist and I tugged away harshly. 

 

Mr. Lee stood up. I looked at him, him looking exhausted suddenly. I finally saw specks of aging on him, his white hair was growing now. The eyebags under his eyes were more visible and he looked more vulnerable. As compared to before, his appearance looked unkept and bothered. His table was filled with papers, messily arranged around with more around his table. 

 

"Sun Min," Kai whispered and I backed down. Taemin held my hand tightly, not knowing he was feeding me his feelings of jealousy with Kai around. 

 

"The answers you seek..." Mr. Lee began, moving away from his desk, "Are not with me.." 

 

"What are you trying to say?" Taemin asked, his feeling changed to that of anger and curiousity. 

 

"I'm sure...Mr. Park has filled you in on what is going to happen.." Mr. Lee said, his eyes looking on the floor as if he was searching for something. 

 

"Yes.." Taemin replied just as Kai did too. Taemin tightened his grip slightly. I kept quiet as I look at Mr. Lee who raised his eyebrows slightly, not looking off the floor. 

 

"Remember...This assignment...Its a matter of our future," Mr. Lee whispered, "You can't speak of your assignment to anyone else other than who you are going with," 

 

Kai didn't move at all. He seem uneasy, his palms were slightly sweating and he hide it well. Taemin cleared his throat. 

 

"Are you saying...The assignment starts now?" 

 

"Yes," Mr. Lee said, finally lifting his eyes off the ground and gave Kai a look. Kai nodded and started heading to the other side of the office where there was a huge timber door. 

 

My eyes followed Kai as he started doing runes in the air in front of the door. Taemin stared as well before Mr. Lee walked to his desk and took out something. He walked towards us, his eyes staring at the pieces in his hand. 

 

"This.." He began, standing in front of Taemin, "Is a sword that speaks to you. It has runes that no one could read off...well, maybe Sun Min could as I could, but its powerful to fight off whatever that could attack and its strong to hold back to defend. The weapon will be more powerful when you share your power and emotions with it, making it dangerous to anyone who holds this weapon in their hands," 

 

My eyes looked at the runes written all over the hilt. Taemin's hands were trembling as he took the hilt. He touch the hilt gently and finally the blade shot out. It shined, there was a soft glow and power that speaks out of the blade. I could feel the power emitting from it. 

 

"I can hear it sing..." I whispered. 

 

"It has found...its rightful owner," Mr. Lee said, meeting my eyes and finally stood in front of me. 

 

"I'm giving you this," He said, revealing a similar hilt to that of Taemin's. 

 

I touched the hilt gently. Mr. Lee didn't say anything as he backed away. Taemin stood back as the hilt I held suddenly grew longer and finally two blades from both ends shot out. I caught the glow of the weapon, feeling the power coming off it. I could feel the weapon has it own soul, my hands were suddenly moving with the weapon. 

 

I did a triple spin with the double blade spear. I could hear the wind blowing past me and the spear before the blade almost ended up at Kai's throat. Kai gulped and looked at me, his fear read off his eyes. I looked at Kai and stood back, the spear slowly retracting back into its orginal form. 

 

Taemin snickered and kiss my cheek. 

 

"Thats my warrior princess," He whispered, stepping back as Mr. Lee came to the 3 of us. Kai stood by me, a distance now. 

 

"Your assignment is to visit the Castle of Dreams," Mr. Lee said, his eyes looking at the 3 of us. 

 

"Find the dream gnome name Kal and save him. He holds the power of giving every living thing a dream to sleep in. The castle was infiltrated by darkness. Go in discreetly. I need the 3 of you to be come back safe and sound with Kal." 

 

"How are we going to do that?" I asked, "We won't know.." 

 

"Use what you were taught to find your way around. You need Kai to be safe.. He can bring you all back with his gift of teleportation," 

 

Kai gave a smile and smirked at Taemin who had the urged to defeat the guy right here. I nodded. 

 

"I'll do this," I said, nodding with a sudden burst of confidence. 

 

"We will come back soon," Kai whispered, bowing in respect before he tap the air in 3 corners like a triangle with his finger. 

 

"Don't you have a weapon?" I asked Kai, looking at him. 

 

He smirked and winked, "I do...Don't worry. Keep your boyfriend at bay." 

 

"You-" Taemin groaned before I pulled him back. 

 

The air in front of us simmered and finally the same black hole appeared. I blinked and looked at Kai who raised his eyebrow at me. Taemin knew what I was thinking and touched my hand. 

 

Focus on the assignment. 

 

But... 

 

We need to seek our answers. If this dream gnome have the answers, especially to your dreams...

 

You're right..

 

"Ready?" Kai looked at both of us.

 

I opened my eyes and stared into the abyss of the black hole. I could feel the strong sunction of coming through it. I held Taemin's hand tightly. 

 

"Okay...The portal is sensitive. I need you guys to clear your mind and let me lead you through. Anyone and anything can lose itself in between worlds and dimensions. Important thing is to clear your mind and trust me." Kai said, staring at Taemin and finally land his eyes on me. 

 

He raised his hand out in front of me. I looked at Taemin who looked slightly reluctant. I took Kai's hand and waited for Taemin. Taemin sighed and finally gave in, putting his hand on Kai's other vacant hand. 

 

Mr. Lee stood behind us and waited. Kai glanced at him and nod. Mr. Lee nodded and watch us as Kai stepped into the abyss and slowly disappeared. Our hands were still connected and I could feel the pull of the portal on my hand. Taemin reached for mine and I held his tightly. 

 

"Let's do this.." Taemin whispered as I nodded. 

 

We took a huge step in to the abyss and finally allow ourselves to get in to the strong force. I turned back and saw Mr. Lee who met my eyes as I stepped further in. Suddenly he was gone and I felt my whole body tore apart into places. 

 

I shut my eyes and hold my breath. The force was strong and suddenly it was gone. I felt my body rolled on to a patch of grass and I took in a gasped of air. 

 

The travelling was horrible and I felt my inside churning. I curled up and groaned, hearing Taemin grunting slightly. Kai went to check on him first, helping Taemin up before checking on me. 

 

"Hey.." 

 

"I'm fine.." I said, leaning against the bark and noticed our surroundings. 

 

We were surrounded with tall majestic trees and grasses. I slowly got up and Taemin checked on me. I shook my head and glanced around. 

 

"This...doesn't look anything close to a dream...or like castle..." Taemin said, looking around and looked at Kai, "Are you sure you brought us to the right place?" 

 

Kai nodded, "Gosh...Have faith in me."

 

I rolled my eyes and watch as Kai started walking. I looked at Taemin and gave him a look. Taemin raised his eyebrow and threw his hands in the air. 

 

"He is so arrogant!" Taemin hissed as we followed Kai.

 

"Stop this!" I whispered, "You told me to focus... say so yourself!" 

 

"Get down!" Kai suddenly hissed and push all of us into the tree. 

 

I gasped and press myself against the tree, stuck in between both of them. We kept quiet as I heard the sounds of hooves coming close. I could hear the horse breathing and my heart raced. Taemin tried to peek as the noise suddenly went into the distance. 

 

"I think we are clear," Taemin whispered. 

 

Kai checked on his side and I took a deep breath before I smelt something. I grabbed both of them and tried to pull them back into the hiding spot when a blade shot out against my throat. 

 

I gasped and press myself further on the tree, Taemin and Kai caught the same way as well. I bit my lip, remembering Mr. Lee telling us to be discreet and we might probably die even before starting this assignment. 

 

I looked at the creatures and cursed when I recognise them. Taemin did too and he tried to pull me behind him. The creatures growled and hissed at us everytime we moved. I grabbed Kai and hope he doesn't do anything stupid. 

 

"Intruders!" I heard someone said, looking down and saw a gnome dressed in leather as if it was prepared for war. 

 

"Bring them to the castle!" The gnome ordered the creatures, which hissed and growled at the order, pulling away and made us walk. The blades were poking our backs as we walked out of our hiding spot. 

 

"We are screwed," I heard Kai whispered to us and I thought the same too. Taemin kept quiet as we began walking through the forest, captured.