24

Falling for an idol
Please log in to read the full chapter

Days went by, our comeback ended, and much to my despair, we had loads of free time now, and I feared what these weeks of rest would do to me.

It had already been hard for me when we were busy with practises, performances and schedules, how would it be like when I would have nothing to distract me from Ha In?

You can imagine my happiness but also sadness when I knew that Ha In would be going on a holiday trip to the Jeju Islands with her university colleagues, I didn’t have to deal with her presence, but I had to deal with Sungjae being all gloomy and in a constant texting mode.

It could be worse though.

We didn’t do much during those days, we slept, ate, and fooled around, which was exactly what we had been wanting to do for so long, after all the eating though, I noticed how I had started to gain some unwanted weight, my cue to go to the gym.

The last weeks of our comeback time had been so hectic I hadn’t stepped on the gym in quite a long time, and I was really looking forward to it, downside was I was going alone, the rest of the members were too lazy to leave the dorms to workout, even Hyunsik.

I hummed happily as I made my way to the treadmills, I would soon be participating in Idol Athletic Championship, and also in Dream Team, and this time I really wanted to do my best, so I should probably start getting ready.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Well I think I’m good for today, good job Minhyuk!

I got up from the sit ups bench and wiped the sweat out of my face, I was walking towards the exit, still drying my fringe when I collided against someone.

-Oh! I’m sorry – we said at the same time.

I froze even before I saw the person that was before me…it couldn’t be…

-Minhyuk-shi?

-Ha In?

Once again, we talked at the same time, god this was embarrassing.

-What are you doing here? – I asked – weren’t you on a trip?

-Yeah, but we came back yesterday night, I’ve been eating so much I felt as if I needed some exercise so I woke up early today – she explained smiling – what about you? Shouldn’t you be resting?

-Yeah well, I also felt as if I needed to work out a bit – I answered awkwardly, it still didn’t feel as if this was real, why did we always meet in the gym? Out of all the many scenarios where we could see each other after all this time, we had to meet when I was all sweaty and wearing such horrible clothes?

-Yeah well I guess you are participating in the IAC this year too – she said.

-Ah….nae.

-Then…. I’ll be rooting for you! – she said raising her arms, making the hwaiting pose.

We chitchatted for a bit, and then I noticed the goose bumps in her arms.

-Oh, you’re getting cold – I pointed out, without even thinking I wrapped the jacket I was wearing around her shoulders.

She looked at me, eyes wide, was she blushing? Lord she WAS blushing, oh crap I am blushing too….

-Thank you… - she muttered looking down.

My heart skipped a few beats, why did she have to be so cute?

-Ermm…perhaps we should go and take a shower… - I said – it’s not good to stay in our workout clothes after we’re done exercising, we could get sick…and stuff.

-Yeah you’re right – she said, she gave me back my jacket – well I will be going then.

-Wait – I called, why, just why did I do that? Aishh…

-Yes?

-Would you like to meet me for breakfast?

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

-Good morning Peniel-ah – I greeted, eyes half opened as I got out of the bedroom.

-Ah, good morning hyung! – he answered, as his eyes went back to the TV, still munching snacks.

-Did you have breakfast already? – I asked.

He nodded, his mouth too full to answer.

I rambled around the cupboards, looking for something to eat myself.

It wasn’t until I had been watching TV with Peniel for a while that the rest of the members started waking up, a parade of pyjamas and yawns.

-Is the maknae still sleeping? – I asked, eyeing the members that were getting their breakfast ready in the kitchen.

-Yes, he still is, and he is drooling – Ilhoon answered, scratching his eye.

The members scattered around the living room, sleepily blabbering stuff.

-Uh? Where’s Minhyuk-hyung? – Hyunsik asked, noticing for the first time the absence of one of his hyungs.

-I think he went to the gym – Peniel answered.

-Aishh…this hyung doesn’t know how to enjoy the rest days – Changsub said, lying face down on the floor.

It had to be around 11, when the maknae woke up, dragging his feet he made his way to the living room.

-Morning…

-Oh look! The drooling sleeping beauty is awake! – Ilhoon greeted.

Sungjae made a face and wiped the corner of his mouth.

At the same time, the door opened.

-Oh you are all finally awake? – Minhyuk greeted.

I looked at him, and much to my surprise, he was wearing one of the brightest smiles I had seen on him on a long time.

-Hyung! It took you long to come back – Peniel said.

-Yeah well, I met someone and I went to have breakfast – he grinned, seriously what was wrong with….?

-Hey guys! – suddenly Ha In popped up next to him.

Oh that explains it all….

-Ha In-ah! – Peniel stood up instantly, and went to hug his dongsaeng.

-Oh hey! – Changsub waved, still lying on the floor.

-Hi… - I started to say, but someone ran past me.

I followed with my eyes the blur Sungjae had become as he locked himself in the dressing room.

-What on earth was that? – I wondered.

-I guess the maknae didn’t want his girlfriend to see him on his pyjamas – Ilhoon laughed.

-What a nonsense, I’ve already seen him – Ha In muttered.

We all looked at her.

-What…? I’ve seen your reality shows…

-Whatever – Peniel said as he cleared his throat – how has it been?

-It was awesome, I had a lot of fun – she answered, sitting down with us.

-How come you are with Minhyuk-hyung? – Ilhoon asked.

-I told you, I met her on the gym and we went to have breakfast together.

-How can you work out on holiday? Aishhh jinja – Changsub said.

Ha In laughed.

-I’ve eaten a lot, I had to do something before I gained too much weight – Ha In answered scrunching her face.

Somehow we got into a discussion about working out, sleeping and who knows what else, I myself, didn’t pay too much attention to what we were saying, since we weren’t making much sense anyway, but I noticed how Minhyuk was behaving, everything, from the way he was sitting, to the way he was talking had changed.

During all this time he had been…I don’t know how to describe it, he was down, but also calm and relaxed, I guess it was a relief for him not to have had to pretend he didn’t feel anything for Ha In, but he had missed her, even if I was the only one that noticed, it was so obvious.

He had been quieter than usual, not as cheerful, and I would catch him staring into the infinite while we were watching TV, but then, every time any of us said her name, every time Sungjae, or Peniel, or well anybody would say anything about how she was doing he would immediately focus all his attention into that, and then dive again into whatever were the deep thoughts running through his mind.

He had missed her more than anyone on this flat, more than he would ever want to recognise.

The Minhyuk I had before me now, was not the Minhyuk we had grown used to after he broke up with noona, he wasn’t even the one we knew when he was still dating her, I am guessing he, right now, was the happiest version of himself, the one he could only be when he was, as he was right now, next to Ha In.

-Oh here comes the maknae – Hyunsik announced.

Sungjae finally appeared, fully dressed, though his ears were red.

-Sungjae-ah, hi! – Ha In greeted, laughing.

-Hi – he answered, sticking his tongue out.

He sat, right between Ha In and Minhyuk, and I could already see Minhyuk’s face changing, I could see his smile quietly dying down, and his eyes not as shiny as they were a moment before.

I repressed a sigh, w

Please log in to read the full chapter