A New Beginning

Queer & Proud

 

“Did you grab your hoodie?”

 

“Yup.”

 

“What about your toiletries?”

 

“Right here.”

 

“All of your studying materials?”

 

“They should be shoved somewhere in the back of my suitcase.”

 

“Your gaming devices?”

 

“Definitely.”

 

“Manga?”

 

“Got it-”

 

“Pants? Underwear? Socks? Phone charger? Your painful-to-look-at idol posters?”

 

“For gods sake, Sehun, I packed everything.

 

Sehun put his hands on his hips and raised an eyebrow.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes I’m sure!” Luhan zipped up his last duffel bag and threw it on top of his bed - Sehun’s, technically, since they still hadn’t changed back - and sighed in frustration. “Just because I didn’t start packing two weeks before break starts doesn’t mean I’m going to forget my clothes here.”

 

“You can never be too sure,” Sehun snapped back, “I was just being helpful.”

 

“We’re going to come back here in a week anyway. I’m leaving most of my things here,” Luhan said. He pointed at the large pile of bags Sehun had by his bed. “Seriously, Sehun, are all those bags necessary?”

 

“They’re necessary,” Sehun said before stepping in front of his bags, covering them protectively, “just don’t come crying to me when you realize you left your toothbrush at school. I’m not going to lend you mine.”

 

“I can always borrow Baekhyun’s!” Luhan snorted, but crinkled his eyebrows before walking to the bathroom to check.

 

“You guys aren’t done yet?”

 

Luhan peeped out of the bathroom to see his friends piling into their room. Jongdae and Minseok immediately winked at Sehun before jumping on top of his bed.

 

“This just brings back the best memories ever, doesn’t it, eyes?” Minseok snickered. Sehun sighed before crossing his arms and staring at the two in disapproval.

 

“I can’t even sleep in my own bed because of you s,” he muttered. He then saw Baekhyun stroll in out of the corner of his eyes.

 

“Seriously, Baekhyun? Eating icecream already?”

 

“Don’t take out your anger on me,” Baekhyun hummed. “Anyways, what was the plan again?”

 

“We’re all carpooling tomorrow and going to your house by three. That should give you plenty of time to catch up on your much needed sleep, right?”

 

“Baekhyun gets more sleep than the rest of the student body,” Luhan muttered, earning a sharp kick to the shin from the said boy. Luhan yelled in pain and glared back.

 

Minseok sighed and raised his voice. “Since we’re going there by Jongdae’s car, he’s picking me up first, then Sehun, Chanyeol, Jongin, and Luhan. I’ll text you guys the time to be ready by, and if you make us wait we’re going to leave straight away. Got it?”

 

“Yes, sir,” everyone replied immediately, a little intimidated by the stern look on Minseok’s face. Jongin was the only one who plopped down on one of the chair’s with a devastated look.

 

“What’s got your knickers in a twist?” Jongdae asked with a frown.

 

“I realized Kyungsoo is the only one who’s not coming,” he muttered, “I tried talking to him yesterday about it, but it’s still pretty awkward between us and there’s no way he’ll ever come if I invite him over.”

 

“I can invite him over if you want, since the peace and quiet I’ve been looking forward to is now down the drain,” Baekhyun offered. Jongin looked up, eyes shining in hope, when it suddenly died and he slowly shook his head.

 

“No, that’s not going to work either. He’s not going to want to be anywhere near me for a whole week if he can help it. I guess there’s nothing that can be done. I just wish I could do something. This is the perfect opportunity to win back his trust, you know? I can show him how much I really care when we’re placed in a different setting.”

 

“Look, if there’s anything that can be done, I’ll do it. So don’t worry and just enjoy making me miserable,” Baekhyun squeezed his best friend’s shoulder encouragingly, earning a thankful grin from the other.

 

“Come on guys. It’s time to leave.”

 

With Jongdae’s reminder, everyone slowly gathered their belongings and walked out of the room. They made their way to the main hall to see all the students slowly piling out of the school, saying goodbye to their friends before running to their parent’s car.

 

“Hey Baekhyun.”

 

Baekhyun looked back to see Chanyeol looking down at him with a warm smile. He grinned back before detaching himself from the group and taking his place beside his crush.

 

“Where’s Kyungsoo?” He asked, looking around.

 

“He left already. His dad came earlier today to pick him up.”

 

“Oh. That’s too bad. I didn’t get to say bye,” Baekhyun bit his lips before looking down. Suddenly, his head snapped up and he turned to Chanyeol with bright eyes.

 

“Chanyeol, I was wondering, do you know what Kyungsoo is doing over break?”

 

Chanyeol turned to Baekhyun before breaking out into a cheeky grin.

 

“I don’t think he has anything important planned. He’ll probably just stay inside and study all day. Why?”

 

“Well, in the case, will you do me a favor?”

 

Baekhyun watched as Chanyeol’s eyes twinkled in excitement.

 

“Definitely.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Where the heck did Baekhyun go?” Jongin asked impatiently after halting abruptly, looking around trying to look for his best friend. Sehun followed his actions, but he couldn’t see the short male either.

 

“I saw him ditch us for Chanyeol,” Luhan said, “you should’ve looked at how happy he looked while he was leaving us. If he wasn’t my best friend and if I didn’t find the way his face literally lit up when he saw Chanyeol adorable, I would’ve dragged him right back.”

 

“Whatever. We’re going to see that er tomorrow anyway,” Jongdae commented with a dismissive tone as he typed something into his phone. He suddenly shoved it into his pocket and grabbed Minseok’s hand.

 

“We’re going to go ahead, alright? Our ride is here.”

 

“Our ride?” Minseok asked in a hurry, but the two had already disappeared from view before the rest could hear Jongdae’s reply.

 

“Are we just that repulsive, or is there another reason to why everyone is ditching us today?” Luhan said with a frown. Jongin shook his head before turning to Sehun and the disgruntled elder.

 

“I’m going to take that as my cue to leave,” Jongin swung his bag over his shoulder and waved briefly, “see you tomorrow, hetero.”

 

Sehun nodded, but Luhan’s frown deepened as he saw Jongin walk away.

 

“Hey, ! Aren’t you going to say goodbye to your best friend?!” He yelled, but Jongin had already walked out of the building.

 

“Seriously. What is up with everyone today?!” Luhan snarled and threw his arms up in the air. Sehun merely stared at the fuming boy with disinterest before dragging him outside as well.

 

“Your ride isn’t here yet?” He cut off Luhan’s rant, who quickly snapped out of his temporary rage and looked around.

 

“I don’t think so.”

 

“Well, mine isn’t here either, so do you want to grab something to eat while we wait-”

 

“Sehun, darling!”

 

Sehun’s head snapped up and his eyes widened at the horrifying sight in front of him. He scrambled back in fear when he saw Taeyeon jump out of her vehicle and run towards her nephew.

 

“I missed you so freaking much!” Taeyeon wrapped her arms around Sehun and squeezed him tightly. Luhan, who was standing awkwardly on the side, bit his lips in time to keep himself from bursting out in laughter at the sight of pure terror on Sehun’s face.

 

“Taeyeon,” Sehun managed to say, “I....I thought mom was supposed to pick me up.”

 

Taeyeon let out a high pitched snort and quickly let go. “She was supposed to, but an emergency came up in the hospital so being the helpful and loving sister I am I volunteered to do it instead. Aren’t I just the best?”

 

Sehun sighed and rubbed his temples, as if a headache was coming on fast.

 

“I am so excited about this break. I have everything planned. I’m going to take you to all the delicious cake shops I discovered near your house, and after that we can watch romantic comedies through the night, and then you can tell me all about your time here. It’ll be the best!” Taeyeon then looked over to face Luhan, who was smiling sweetly up at her.

 

“Oh, Luhan! You’ve gotten so much cuter since last time!”

 

Luhan laughed. “Thanks Aunt Taeyeon.”

 

“Don’t call me that. It makes me feel old,” Taeyeon frowned and swatted her hands, “so, Sehun, ready to go?”

 

Sehun fumbled nervously. “Actually, I still need to tell you something.”

 

“Tell me what?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“I.....kind of planned to stay at Baekhyun’s house over the break. I’m going there tomorrow.”

 

There was a long silence, as Taeyeon blinked down at her nephew and Sehun remained still. Luhan wanted desperately to flee the scene, but he remained rooted to his place, unable to do anything but stay and wait for Taeyeon’s response.

 

“Oh.”

 

Taeyeon finally said. Sehun grimaced and quickly leapt forward, grabbing his aunt’s arm.

 

“Look, I’m really sorry I didn’t tell you earlier. It was a last minute decision and I just didn’t know how to bring it up. I really am sorry, Taeyeon-”

 

“Wait. Are you telling me you’re going to a sleepover?!”

 

“Uh, well, we didn’t exactly call it that, but I guess in a sense it still counts as one huge sleepover.”

 

Taeyeon suddenly covered , but behind it both Sehun and Luhan could see a large grin.

 

“Are you going too?” Taeyeon turned and demanded. Luhan squeaked in surprise.

 

“Yeah. All of our friends are going, actually.”

 

“You’re going to Baekhyun’s house? That girly looking cutie I saw?”

 

Sehun sighed. “Yes, he’s the one.”

 

“Oh my ing god. I can’t believe this. My anti-social nephew Sehun is going to a sleepover with his friends! This is the best day of my life!” Taeyeon scooped up both Luhan and Sehun in her arms, much to their surprise. “I’m so proud of you Sehunnie!”

 

“She calls you Sehunnie?” Luhan snickered, and Sehun managed to shoot him a glare before quickly escaping from Taeyeon’s embrace.

 

 


“Come on. Let’s go,” Sehun pushed Taeyeon back to her car.

 

“Bye Luhan!” Taeyeon screamed. Sehun sighed and shoved her into her car. Before going in, he turned around and looked at Luhan with a smile.

 

“See you tomorrow,” Luhan waved, returned the smile, and watched as the two drove off.

 

 

 

 

 

“We’re here! Come down in thirty seconds or we’re leaving, eyes.”

 

Sehun sighed and slammed down his phone, glaring at it viciously. He turned around, rechecked his bags, and looked up to see his parents and Taeyeon looking down at him with a proud smile.

 

“Will you guys stop doing that?” He snapped.

 

His mother sniffled a sob. “We just can’t believe you’re going away to a sleepover. I never imagined a day like this would come.”

 

“I wasn’t completely friendless, mom. I went to sleepovers before.”

 

“Yeah, but that was when you were in second grade. It doesn’t count,” Taeyeon countered.

 

“You stay out of this,” Sehun retorted. He grabbed all of his luggage and pushed open the front door. “I’ll see you guys in a week, okay?”

 

“Have fun, sweetie!”

 

Sehun nodded one last time before closing the door behind him. He turned around to see a large van only a few steps away. The front window was down, and Minseok was grinning at him.

 

“You’re finally here, sweetie pie,” Minseok cooed. Sehun groaned and shoved his bags in the trunk before taking a seat in the very back.

 

“What’s wrong with you?” He blurted when he caught sight of Jongdae in the front seat. Jongdae was barely hanging on to the wheel, and his face looked an odd shade of blue.

 

“He’s carsick,” Minseok replied instead.

 

“Isn’t he supposed to be the one driving?”

 

“Yeah. He’s a sensitive but he’s also the only one who knows how to drive. Don’t worry. I’ll get him to stop the car if he looks a little too purple.”

 

“This doesn’t seem like such a good idea,” Sehun said and quickly strapped the safety belt. Although he usually didn’t bother with it if he sat in the back, this time he decided he wouldn’t take the chance. Jongdae managed to smile weakly at him before starting the car.

 

“Chanyeol’s house next,” Minseok announced, “he lives really near you, Sehun. Only fifteen minutes away.”

 

“Does he?” Sehun said. “I haven’t spent much time in my neighborhood, actually. My family moved here only a couple months ago.”

 

“Where did you used to live?”

 

“Mapo. Before that, Incheon. I lived at Seocho for the longest. It was when I was in middle school.”

 

“Seocho?” Minseok asked in surprise. Jongdae looked up too. “Dude, that’s where Baekhyun lives.”

 

“Seriously? Huh, I didn’t know that.”

 

“Maybe we can visit your old school and stuff,” Minseok joked. Sehun snorted and shook his head.

 

“I don’t think so. The kids there were all complete idiots, and the campus was ty.”

 

“More idiotic than us?” Minseok said with a smile. Sehun raised an eyebrow.

 

“No one can ever be more idiotic than you guys.”

 

“Thanks, eyes.”

 

“We’re here,” Jongdae croaked as he slowly pulled the car over. Sehun looked out the window to see Chanyeol come out of a moderate sized house.

 

To his surprise, Chanyeol was dragging something behind him, and Sehun poked his head out to see Kyungsoo struggling in Chanyeol’s grasp. Both Minseok and Jongdae’s eyes widened in surprise when Chanyeol swung the door open and grinned up at them.

 

“You guys don’t mind if I bring an extra luggage with me, right?”

 

Kyungsoo groaned in annoyance. “Chanyeol, seriously. Let me go. I’m not going.”

 

“Don’t be stupid. I’m not going to just watch you rot in your room all break. That’ll be cruel.”

 

“I wasn’t even invited,” Kyungsoo hissed.

 

Chanyeol snorted. “How many times do I need to tell you that Baekhyun was completely cool with me bringing you?”

 

“That doesn’t mean I should just go!” Kyungsoo yelled. “That’s rude! Let me go, Park Chanyeol!”

 

“You’re the one being rude,” Chanyeol snapped back before turning to look at Jongdae and Minseok. “You guys are okay with Kyungsoo coming, right?”

 

“Absolutely,” Minseok replied. He smiled warmly at Kyungsoo, who’s large eyes were jumping all over the car in desperation. Even Sehun shook his head before helping Chanyeol drag Kyungsoo into the car.

 

“We’re good. You can start the car now,” Chanyeol muttered after strapping Kyungsoo down and sitting down himself. Jongdae smiled cheekily and started the engine.

 

“Welcome to a week with us crazies, Kyungsoo. Try not to lose your sanity,” Minseok said good-naturedly. Kyungsoo nodded stiffly, and under Chanyeol's sharp gaze, slumped down in defeat. He was feeling extremely awkward - he had never really spoken with Jongdae and Minseok before, and didn’t know how to respond to their warm welcome.

 

“We’re stopping by Jongin’s next.”

 

Kyungso visibly shuddered at the mention of Jongin’s name. Sehun sunk lower into his seat and stared at the back of Kyungsoo’s head. Chanyeol stole nervous glances at his friend, and both Minseok and Jongdae looked behind through the rearview mirror.

 

They drove in silence, and in about half an hour they entered a relatively rich looking neighborhood. Jongin was standing in front of his house, his large suitcase beside him. He stared lazily as the van pulled over and grumbled loudly.

 

“You heads made me wait for twenty minutes,” he cursed as he pulled open the door. He looked up and froze when he saw Kyungsoo sitting quietly inside.

 

“Kyungsoo.”

 

The said boy sighed and slowly looked up. “Jongin.”

 

Jongin turned his confused eyes to Jongdae in the front.

 

“Baekhyun was apparently okay with him coming. You don’t mind either, do you?”

 

Everyone stopped breathing, Sehun included, as they waited for Jongin’s answer.

 

“No,” Jongin finally answered, “I don’t mind.”

 

“Good. Now get your in so we can go to Luhan’s.”

 

Jongin slowly got in and sat down next to Chanyeol. Chanyeol blinked at his awkward placement between Kyungsoo and Jongin, cringing when he could feel the growing tension in the car.

 

Sehun’s annoyed voice was the first thing to break the silence.

 

“Luhan’s next, right?”

 

Minseok snickered in the front seat, looking back at the said boy with a sly grin.

 

“Why? Excited to see your closest friend?”

 

“Shut up, Minseok. I just need someone to save me from this suffocating silence.”

 

“You know, it’s funny that Luhan was the first thing you thought of when you were feeling socially awkward-”

 

“I’m straight.”

 

“Good god, nobody said you weren’t. The whole student body knows your straight. You must be terribly insecure about your uality if you’re announcing it every damn minute.”

 

“If I don’t say it enough, you guys are going to forget it,” Sehun retorted. Minseok rolled his eyes in disbelief.

 

“Nobody is going to forget that you like girls. You remind us every single day.”

 

“Good. I’m going to keep it that way.”

 

“Defensive ,” Minseok muttered under his breath.

 

Slowly, the car finally entered their last stop and the boys saw Luhan sitting down on one of the benches in the playground. Sehun saw Luhan’s eyes brighten as he ran over, his large pile of bags dangling on his limbs.

 

“Hello everyone!” Luhan sang happily. His eyes widened when he caught sight of Kyungsoo, and chuckled quietly.

 

“Well, it looks like Baekhyun went out of his way to make someone happy.”

 

“Shut up, Luhan,” Jongin muttered. Luhan snickered and threw his bag in before taking his seat next to Sehun.

 

“Hey there.”

 

“You’re awfully happy this morning,” Sehun said, earning a chuckle from the elder who cocked his head towards the boys in the front.

 

“Love is in the air, don’t you think?”

 

Sehun sighed and leaned his head against the car wall. “Sometimes, I really don’t understand you.”

 

“You’ll see soon enough.”

 

With that, Luhan turned around, clasped his hands on Jongin’s shoulders who growled in response, and yelled in the only enthusiastic voice in the whole car.

 

“Get moving!”

 

Jongdae winced at the loud noise and leaned against the wheel, Minseok turned around and shot Luhan a disapproving glare, Kyungsoo sank lower in his seat while Chanyeol remained still, and Jongin quickly pulled out of his friend’s grasp.

 

Sehun decided that he might be better off sleeping, and quickly closed his eyes.

 

 


Yay! That was a relatively early update. This makes me happy :)

 

Sooooo the break is finally beginning! OMG im falling in love with xiuchen. They're so fun to write for. Jongdae is like an overflowing bucket of sassiness, while Minseok is like a quiet yet deadly ticking bomb.

 

So since I'm a bored little author with an insatiable curious heart, I'm going to ask you guys another question with a poll! Please don't kill me for annoying you guys OTL

 

This time I'm asking you who your favorite character is! Not as a couple, but just individually! I listed two characters per choice because I didn't have enough options, but if your favorite character is one of the two choices then pick that and you can specify in the comments :) Also, if you guys want to, please explain why!

 

 

I hope my constant questions aren't annoying my readers :( I just like communicating with you guys!

Next update will be Wednesday/Thursday! See you guys soooooooooonn *^^*