When it finally breaks

Queer & Proud

Breakfast next day was grim. Jongdae and Minseok weren’t present - they were probably off doing something stupid and most likely will result in several weeks worth of detentions. Luhan was silently picking his food, casting glances in Jongin’s direction once in a while and sharing wary looks with Sehun. Baekhyun sulked in his seat, not bothering to eat and looking half dead. Jongin was the worst though. His eyes were puffy and fixed on his plate, not once looking up. He had a dark aura radiating off him as if to repel anyone who came near him.

 

“Jong-” Luhan started, but was cut off by a sharp kick to the shin. He cried out in pain and looked up to see Baekhyun shake his head furiously.

 

Jongin sighed and finally looked up, giving Baekhyun an exasperated look.

 

“Do you think I’m stupid?” he asked, “I have a freaking brain, despite what you may think.”

 

“I never said you didn’t,” Baekhyun quickly retorted.

 

Luhan looked at the two interact with anxious eyes. Sehun leaned back in his chairs and crossed his arm, waiting for something to happen.

 

“Oh god,” Jongin groaned. He switched his gaze to Luhan and Sehun. “Are you guys going to treat me like some kind of dying patient? I’m fine.

 

“We know you're fine,” Baekhyun spoke up, earning yet another glare from Jongin. “We’re just being nice friends. Deal with it.”

 

“Yah, Byun Baekhyun-”

 

“Hold the up.”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes suddenly went cold. Jongin dropped his chopsticks and dropped his gaze once more. Luhan furrowed his eyebrows and followed Baekhyun’s eyes to the back of the cafeteria. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were sitting side by side, eating their respective breakfasts in silence. Only this time, Baekhyun’s eyes weren’t fixated on Park Chanyeol. It was on the other.

 

“Excuse me for a moment,” Baekhyun’s deadpanned as he slowly stood up, his face showing no expression. He pushed back his chair and made his way towards the table at the back. Both Chanyeol and Kyungsoo took no notice of the boy until Baekhyun paused in front of them, giving Kyungsoo a deadly glare.

 

“Do Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun’s voice was icy, and Luhan and Sehun watched in silence. Jongin was still looking down, but Sehun noticed that he was slightly shaking.

 

Kyungsoo slowly lifted his head. His eyes widened for a split second at the sight of Baekhyun but immediately narrowed.

 

“Do you need something?” Kyungsoo said, his voice equally as hostile as Baekhyun’s. Luhan was halfway out of his seat, ready to run over in case anything happened.

 

“This is totally unlike me,” Baekhyun said, “but this is for my best friend, you .”

 

With that, Baekhyun picked up a cup of ice water and dumped it on Kyungsoo’s head. Kyungsoo blinked slowly as the cold water seeped through his uniform.

 

“Kyungsoo!” Chanyeol was the first one to speak out and he immediately took off his jacket and wrapped it around Kyungsoo’s shaking torso. He turned around to look at Baekhyun in shock. Baekhyun avoided Chanyeol’s gaze and continued to stare at Kyungsoo’s frozen face.

 

“My best friend did nothing but treat you like a ing princess these past years,” Baekhyun seethed, “no matter what you did and what you said, he didn’t do a damn thing about it. He showered you with love and care, but all you ever gave him were hateful glares and obvious signs of disgust. And now....now you tell him to go kill himself? You’re lucky I’m not shoving a goddamn knife down your throat right now, because last night I was this close to doing so.”

 

“You don’t know a single thing-” Kyungsoo raged, but was cut off with Baekhyun slamming the empty cup onto the table.

 

“I don’t need to know anything,” Baekhyun sneered, “what you did was plain cruel. But you know what? I know my best friend and I know that he’s going to go back to following your sorry like nothing happened. And I also know that you’re going to continue to treat him like .” Baekhyun spun around and fixed his eyes on Jongin, who was finally looking up and staring at him in shock.

 

“And that pisses me off like hell.”

 

With that, Baekhyun took off running and exited the cafeteria. Chanyeol looked lost, staring between his best friend and Baekhyun’s previous spot. Luhan slumped back down and looked at Sehun helplessly.

 

“Why is life so ing difficult,” Luhan whispered. Sehun nodded in agreement, when he saw Jongin slowly stand up and move towards Kyungsoo and Chanyeol. Both boys looked at him in alarm, bodies tensing up more than it had before.

 

“Kyungsoo,” Jongin finally spoke up. Luhan felt his heart shatter at how broke and hurt he sounded.

 

“I’m so sorry. Baekhyun didn’t mean it. He was just pissed off and he doesn’t really think whenever he gets angry. I should’ve stopped him, I know, but I-”

 

“Don’t bother,” Kyungsoo snapped. He stood up, ignoring Chanyeol’s uniform as it fell to the ground. “We both know you never do a damn thing when it really matters.”

 

“Kyungsoo-”

 

“Bye Jongin.”

 

Kyungsoo pushed past Jongin and without looking at anyone, went out of the cafeteria. Chanyeol sighed and grabbed his uniform, putting it on.

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll calm him down,” Chanyeol muttered as he followed Kyungsoo out. Jongin nodded and walked back to his table, ignoring Luhan and Sehun’s worried looks.

 

“Look,” Jongin murmured, “I’m really not in the mood. I just want to eat.”

 

Sehun continued to stare, but at Luhan’s sharp poke he quickly adverted his gaze and began to eat his own portion in uncomfortable silence.


 

 

 

 

 

“I’m going to go kill myself,” Luhan moaned as he slumped down besides Sehun. It was first period, meaning they both had European History together.

 

“Tell me about it,” Sehun muttered under his breath, “I thought things were going to be all fun and peaceful here with the way everyone seemed on my first day. All I see right now is some serious teenage angst.”

 

“Why can’t they just get along? It’s going to be healthy for their own mental states, not to mention ours!”

 

“I just want this all to end.”

 

 

 

Luhan stared as Sehun buried his face in his hands, groaning out loud. He nodded in agreement, and knudged the younger in time for class. Class seemed to go on forever, before the bell finally rang signaling the end of class.

 

“Hey Sehun,” Luhan said as they both walked together to their respective next classes. Their classrooms were on the same floor, so they took this time to talk about things they couldn’t talk about in class.

 

“Yeah?” Sehun replied as his eyes remained fixed on his phone screen. Luhan stole a glance in his direction before clearing his throat.

 

“I was wondering if you wanted to go downtown with me on Sunday. As friends, of course”

 

Sehun’s fingers immediately stopped typing and he looked at Luhan.

 

“Downtown?” he asked. “Are there a lot of things to do there?”

 

Luhan’s face brightened and he clapped his hands together.

 

“Tons, actually. They have really good restaurants and a movie theater and even a small mall. Most kids go there during the weekends and it’s a great way to get away from this school.”

 

Sehun tapped his finger against the phone screen. He furrowed his eyebrows, deep in thought. Finally, he nodded and gave Luhan a small smile.

 

“Sure, why not. Sounds fun.”

 

Luhan hooted in joy before linking arms with Sehun, jumping up and down.

 

“I’m so freaking excited. I haven’t been there for weeks, and I don’t remember ever going there without my boring- friends. It’s going to be a nice change.”

 

Sehun laughed softly as Luhan beamed up at him and dragged him to his next classroom.

 

“Have fun Sehunnie!” Luhan waved and ran to his own classroom. Sehun waved back before walking in and taking his seat. He looked up to see that the seat in front of his, Jongin’s seat, was empty. The seat next to his, however, was occupied. Kyungsoo was flipping through a book and noticing Sehun staring at him, lifted his head and gave him a small smile.

 

“Hi,” Kyungsoo said. Sehun nodded back before taking out his books and stacking them on his desk. Kyungsoo returned his gaze to his book.

 

“Jongin’s not here,” Sehun commented. Kyungsoo’s body froze and he casted a brief glance towards Jongin’s empty seat.

 

“Yes, he’s not,” Kyungsoo said, but there was something hollow about his tone. “Bastard. I told him not to ever skip a class completely.”

 

“And he listened to you?”

 

Kyungsoo snorted.

 

“Of course. Kim Jongin always listens to me, that idiot.”

 

Sehun cocked an eyebrow but opted for silence, returning to his own task of reading a book. Kyungsoo looked like he still had something to say, as he was staring nervously at Sehun.

 

“Sehun,” Kyungsoo said, “I was wondering...but did Jongin say anything after I left?’

 

Sehun lifted his head and gave Kyungsoo a curious look.

 

“No, he didn’t. He said he wasn’t in the mood to talk.”

 

“Oh,” Kyungsoo said. He looked down, his eyes filled with confusion. “Okay. Thanks.”

 

“No problem, I guess,” Sehun said quietly. He cleared his throat, and for the first time was grateful that the teacher walked in so he didn’t have to continue that painfully awkward conversation.


 

 

 

 

Baekhyun stared at the glass door in front of him. It was the same exact door he had pushed open so easily for years, but now, it felt like an uncrossable iron gate. He sighed, taking a step back and deciding to come back another time when it suddenly swung open and Chanyeol stepped out.

 

“Hey Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said, a soft smile on his lips, “why are you just standing there? Come in.”

 

Baekhyun’s throat went dry but he managed to nod, following Chanyeol into the shop. It was empty, a very rare sight, and it made Baekhyun nervous even more. Chanyeol walked over to the cashier and picked up an already filled cup, bringing it to Baekhyun.

 

 


“I figured you’d like this,” Chanyeol said as he took a seat. He pat the the seat across from him, gesturing for Baekhyun to sit down.

 

 


“Come on, you can’t stand forever,” he grinned. Baekhyun shuffled over and sat down, giving Chanyeol a nervous look.

 

“A-aren’t you supposed to be working right now?” Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol shrugged and pointed at the clearly empty shop.

 

“No customers, no work for me.”

 

“Right,” Baekhyun nodded as he stuck the spoon into the cup and brought up a generous amount. He took a tentative bite, and was surprised by the sweet taste.

 

“This is really good,” Baekhyun muttered, “but I’ve never tried it before. I’ve tried every flavor before. Is it new?”

 

“Yup,” Chanyeol grinned, clearly happy with Baekhyun’s reaction. “It’s going to be released tomorrow. I wanted you to be the first one to try it.”

 

“Me?” Baekhyun’s eyes widened and he pointed at himself. “Why me?”

 

“Well, first of all, you’re our number one customer.” Baekhyun blushed bright red at this and almost put down the cup when he heard Chanyeol speak up once more.

 

“And you’re also really cute.”

 

Baekhyun’s head snapped up and he stared at Chanyeol. The latter was grinning widely, making Baekhyun blush harder.

 

“You get all red whenever I call you cute,” Chanyeol chuckled, “it’s adorable, really.”

 

“S-Stop it,” Baekhyun stuttered, “it’s embarrassing.”

 

Chanyeol laughed out loud at this.

 

“You know, I thought you were simply cute until yesterday,” Chanyeol spoke slowly, “but I realized this morning that you also have a feisty side.”

 

Baekhyun felt his breath hitch in his throat. He slammed down the cup and bit his lips, eyes wavering.

 

“I know the appropriate thing I should do right now is apologize,” he said, “but to be honest, I have no intention on doing so. So if you were expecting me to go beg for forgiveness, it’s not going to happen-”

 

“Woah, hold up there,” Chanyeol help up his hands, interrupting Baekhyun’s long rant. “I’m not expecting you to do anything. You did what you could do for your friend. I’m just going to stand besides mine. That’s all. I don’t want our friends to have anything to do with us right now.”

 

Baekhyun’s felt his heart stop. If he thought he liked Chanyeol before, he didn’t know what to call the surge of affection he felt towards the taller male right now.

 

“A-are you serious?” Baekhyun asked, “you’re fine with me having dumped ice cold water all over your best friend?”

 

“Uh, well, you could’ve chosen a better alternative,” Chanyeol scratched the back of his head sheepishly, “I spent hours in his room wrapping blankets around his freezing body and trying to keep Kyungsoo from catching pneumonia. But I’m not blaming you. I understand why you did it.”

 

Baekhyun continued to stare at Chanyeol in awe. He slowly nodded in appreciation.

 

“Thanks Chanyeol,” he whispered before grabbing the ice cream cup once more and taking another bite. Chanyeol grinned widely and leaned his head on his hand, watching as Baekhyun devoured the sweet.

 

“You want some?” Baekhyun offered. He took a large scoop and was about to hand it to the other man when Chanyeol leaned forward and grabbed Baekhyun’s hand, steadying it before taking a bite.

 

“You’re right,” Chanyeol commented as he his lips, “it is good.”

 

Baekhyun’s mouth hanged open. He gaped at the spoon in his hands and then at Chanyeol’s cheeky smile, unable to comprehend what just happened.

 

“Byun Baekhyun,” Chanyeol finally spoke, breaking Baekhyun out of his gaze.

 

“Come more often, will you? Seeing you once a day isn’t nearly enough.”

 

Baekhyun could’ve sworn he died a little bit right there.

 

HOLY CRAP GUYS. I'm at this camp rn and of course I thought there would be no wifi, thus no updating, but THEY HAVE FREAKING WIFI HERE WTF!!!! I don't understand how.

life is good to me. I am pleased.

I might still not be able to update everyday, so please be understanding in that regard. I am quite busy :( but I will whenever I can so thanks for being such AWESOME READERS :D

next chapter will be the last kaisoo angst before we return to some Hunhan and baekyeol fluff (I think so? wait, i need to go check on that, but i'm pretty sure) so BE PREPARED. kaisoo lovers, you may take a break and enjoy some fluff before we return full blast to KAISOO ANGST!

seriously though. I know Kyungsoo is like a complete here and to be honest I didn't intend to make him so evil :O I guess that's because I know the reason and you guys don't, right? Trust me guys. Kyungsoo is not just plain cruel and hates Jongin's guts for no good reason. He has his own issues/reasons, so stick with him for now, okay? 

I"M SORRY D.O I MADE YOU LOOK SO BAD ON YOUR BIRTHDAY :(

alright, so I think I'm finished with my rambling now. Good night guys, and don't forget to leave comments below, subscribe, and vote up! :D