Noodles

Queer & Proud

“Hey, Byun! Is this supposed to be ramen?”

 

Baekhyun groaned for the upteenth time that hour as he lazily lifted his head, eyeing Jongdae who was opening every single cabinet in the kitchen and taking out everything that looked remotely edible.

 

“No, Sherlock, it’s rat poison,” Baekhyun rolled his eyes before lying back down. Jongdae shot his friend a quick glare before opening the pack.

 

“Anyone up for some ramen?”

 

In a matter of seconds, everyone, except for Baekhyun who was busy trying to block out everyone else, Sehun who was still going around with an insect repellant, and Kyungsoo who was looking around the house with a blank expression, rushed to the kitchen with eager looks.

 

“Guys, there’s only enough for three people.”

 

“Dude, I came here first!” Jongin snapped at Minseok, who was trying to drag the dark boy away.

 

“Jongdae is my boyfriend, thus I’m eating the food he makes,” Minseok retorted.

 

Luhan snorted as he pushed his way through. “You’re way too fat, Minseok. You don’t need more food.”

 

“Shut the up!”

 

“I’m trying to be helpful here!” Luhan shot back. “Jongdae. Ramen. Now.”

 

“You just called my boyfriend fat,” Jongdae said with a frown, “do you really think I’m going to be making you ramen?”

 

“Amen,” Chanyeol said with a large smile, “good boys get the food. Go away, Luhan.”

 

“Sehun! They’re all bullying me! Repel them away with your insect spray!”

 

“Deal with your own problems, Luhan. I’m busy trying to survive here,” Sehun snarled and eyed the floor with narrowed eyes.

 

Baekhyun cracked open an eye and glared at Sehun. “Will you please stop that?! You found one cockroach! Every house has at least one ing insect. My house is not infested with bugs!”

 

“My house has never had a dead cockroach underneath the couch!”

 

“That’s because you’re an insufferable neatfreak. Seriously, you’re stressing me out.”

 

“True that,” Jongin mumbled under his breath.

 

“Woah, you’re stressing Baekhyun out? I thought only Chanyeol could do that!”

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun both blushed bright red at Jongdae’s comment, and the latter swiftly swiped out a pillow and threw it at the elder’s direction.

 

“You guys are all idiots,” Sehun commented.

 

“Says the person who’s been crawling around the floor for two whole hours trying to find non-existent bugs.”

 

“You know what? No ramen for any of you.”

 

Minseok, Jongin, Chanyeol, and Luhan all spun around, gaping at Jongdae who was shoving the ramen pack into the cabinet.

 

“You can’t do that!” Jongin spluttered, “that’s not fair!”

 

“I am starving here!” Luhan wailed. Suddenly, Sehun slammed the spray onto the floor and stomped over.

 

“You’re hungry?” Sehun stared down intensely at Luhan, who looked back at the younger boy with a frightened look.

 

“U-uh, I think so?”

 

“Perfect,” Sehun said and grabbed Luhan’s wrist, pulling him to the front door. Everyone gaped silently as Luhan eyed them helplessly.

 

Minseok was the first one to snap out of the shock, and quickly stumbled over. “What are you doing?!”

 

“I’m getting out of this house!” Sehun roared, “and Luhan’s apparently extremely hungry, and since none of you guys are going to do anything about it, I am!

 

“But I’m hungry too,” Jongin added weakly. Sehun turned around and eyed the boy with a murderous look.

 

“You direct your whining to someone else. My hands are full right now. Kyungsoo, take this pathetic boy out for food, will you?”

 

Kyungsoo, who was standing awkwardly in the back, paled at the mention of his name. Jongin froze, and Sehun snorted before slamming the door behind him and Luhan.

 

“That was mean,” Luhan said, “you didn’t have to be so blunt about it.”

 

“Sometimes being blunt is the only option,” Sehun argued, before slowly stopping at a safe distance away from Baekhyun’s house. He turned around and let go of Luhan’s arm, scratching his neck sheepishly.

 

“Look, I’m sorry about dragging you out like that. The house was suffocating me, and I really just needed to get out. You were the perfect excuse.”

 

Luhan looked back at the boy before cracking a large grin. “I don’t mind. Just try to let me know beforehand next time so I can play along.”

 

Sehun nodded. “Well, we’re out now, and I’m definitely not going back in until I clear my head, so want to go get some food?”

 

“You don’t know your way around here,” Luhan pointed out.

 

Sehun cocked an eyebrow before replying with an incredulous look. “Did no one tell you? I used to live here when I was younger. I still remember the important places, so we won’t get lost. I promise.”

 

“And why should I trust you?” Luhan retorted with a playful smile. Sehun shrugged.

 

“Probably because I’m the best bet you have to getting some food around here.”

 

“Definitely trustworthy.”

 

Sehun laughed, throwing his head back. “You’re much too easy, Luhan. What if someone kidnaps you using food as bait?”

 

“I’ll just wait for you to save me,” Luhan said before taking a step forward, looking back at Sehun expectantly.

 

“Come on, you’re not going to just stand there and starve the damsel in the distress, are you? I’m starving, Sehun.”

 

Sehun remained rooted in place.

 

“If someone kidnaps you, the police is probably more reliable than I am.”

 

“But I don’t trust them as much as I trust you. Just do me a favor and beat up the kidnappers for me, will you? I promise I’ll give you a hand once I’m out of the chains.”

 

“And are you going to save me if I’m kidnapped?”

 

Luhan remained silent, before slowly opening his mouth.

 

“I’m not going to let you get kidnapped in the first place,” he said quietly.

 

The younger boy stared back, before he walked towards Luhan and stood beside him.

 

“This is a stupid conversation.”

 

Luhan nodded. “Yes it is. Can we please get some food now?”

 

The two made their way to the main street, Sehun leading the way with accuracy, before they reached a small restaurant with a bright neon green sign blinking on and off. Luhan stared at it with curiosity and watched as Sehun entered the shop.

 

“Halmoni! Two bowls of janchi noodles here,” Sehun called out and sat down in one of the vacant seats. Luhan looked around the fairly empty store and took his seat across from Sehun.

 

“This looks like a shady place,” Luhan whispered. Sehun chuckled quietly and leaned forward so the owner couldn’t hear.

 

“My parents and I used to come here all the time when we lived here. Trust me when I say this place has the best noodles in South Korea.”

 

“But no one is here,” Luhan protested and pointed at the only other customer, “the only person eating here is that old man over there, and he looks like he’s about to bend over and die any moment now.”

 

“It’s just not advertised. The janchi noodle here is the only thing I missed about Seocho after I moved. It’s that good, and you know I’m not as food-crazy as you are.”

 

Luhan eyed Sehun warily, but slowly leaned back in his seat when a lady came over carrying two large bowls.

 

“Janchi noodles for two!” She exclaimed and put them down on the table. Sehun’s eyes immediately brightened and he quickly picked up his chopsticks, eyeing the food eagerly.

 

The lady turned around to leave, but paused abruptly. Luhan stared as she turned around and her eyes lingered on Sehun, who was currently engrossed in his meal.

 

“It can't be....,” she muttered. Sehun slowly looked up from his bowl and grinned up at the lady.

 

“I was about to be offended that you didn’t remember me, Halmoni.”

 

Slowly but surely, the lady’s eyes widened and stretched into a wide grin. She gasped loudly and leaned forward, hugging the smiling boy tightly.

 

“Oh Sehun, I can’t believe it! You’ve grown so much since I last saw you,” the lady exclaimed happily.

 

Sehun laughed. “Halmoni, your hug is still so suffocating. I can’t breathe.”

 

The lady quickly let go, but continued to grin down at the boy.

 

 

“How many years has it been? I still remember you as the short, polite boy who came to eat here every weekend. You’ve gotten so handsome. I never thought I’d see you again after you moved, but here you are!”

 

“I’m staying with a friend who lives in this neighborhood. I missed you too, Halmoni. Your noodles are to die for.”

 

“Oh, hush. You’re the only one who appreciated my cooking in this whole town.”

 

“It’s because you don’t advertise it! Put some money and get an ad out in the newspaper.”

 

“I’m getting old, honey. I’m afraid I don’t have the energy nor the enthusiasm to do that.”

 

The lady, who was chatting fondly with Sehun, suddenly switched her gaze to Luhan who was sitting silently in the side.

 

“Is this the friend who lives here?” she asked.

 

Sehun shook his head. “No, that's someone else. This is Luhan, and we go to the same school. He was hungry so I brought him here.”

 

“Is that so?” she hummed. “Well, you two enjoy your meal. I hope I can see you again soon, Sehun.”

 

“I’ll definitely visit again,” Sehun replied and bowed politely as the lady went away to the kitchen. He turned around to see Luhan look at him with an unbelieving look.

 

“What?” He asked, confused. Luhan merely shook his head.

 

“It’s just....this is the first time I saw you acting so genuinely warm and nice to someone. I can tell that you like her a lot. It’s sweet.”

 

Sehun’s cheeks flushed red and he dipped his head low. “She was the only person in this town I was fond of. I used to be closer to her than anyone in my school. Heck, I liked her better than my own parents. She’s kind of like the grandmother I never had, you know? I hope you didn’t mind me talking to her without including you in the conversation. I wasn’t trying to be rude.”

 

“I understand. I kind of wish I had someone like that in my life. Like I said, it’s sweet.”

 

Sehun smiled gratefully before reaching forward and pushing the bowl of noodles to Luhan. “You should eat.”

 

“Yes, I should,” Luhan said and began to eat. They did so in relative silence, sharing smiles once in a while, before finally finished their respective portions in less thirty minutes.

 

“Well, you were right about one thing,” Luhan said with a satisfied grin as he put down his chopsticks, “this noodle is the best.”

 

 

 

Sehun chuckled and stood up. “I told you so,” he offered, and took the money Luhan handed him before walking towards the cashier. The lady looked up and walked closer to the boy, grabbing his hand and rubbing it affectionately.

 

“I don’t want the money,” she said.

 

Sehun frowned and opened his mouth to protest. “That’s ridiculous. Halmoni-”

 

“Sehun. You’re like a grandson to me. I’m not going to receive money for feeding family. I’m not taking it.”

 

“But I haven’t seen you in so long-”

 

“Shush,” the lady said, “just promise me that you’ll come to visit me again. I need to see my grandson once more, alright?”

 

Sehun stood still, completely speechless, before nodding. “I promise. I’ll come again and again until I leave. Even after I leave, I’ll keep in touch.”

 

The lady smiled warmly and brought up her hand, patting Sehun’s cheek. “That’s my boy.”

 

Luhan, who was standing by the door, leaned against the wall and looked at the two interact with pure astonishment. He didn’t know Sehun had it in him to be so honest with his feelings, and was absolutely baffled.

 

“I need to go,” Sehun said as he looked at Luhan with an apologetic grin, “I’ll come soon, Halmoni.”

 

“I’ll have the best bowl of noodles I’ve ever made ready for you,” she said. Sehun gave her a quick hug before exiting the store. Luhan was about to follow him, when he hear the lady call out his name.

 

“Luhan, right?”

 

Luhan looked back at the lady, who came towards him. Much to his surprise, she gathered his hands and squeezed it.

 

“You’re the first friend of Sehun’s I ever saw,” she said, “strictly speaking, the first real friend of his. Sehun was never a particularly outgoing person, and the crowd he used to hang out with was .... well, to be honest, bad news. I never approved of them, and Sehun didn’t like them either. But the way he looked at you and talked to you....it’s completely foreign to me. I didn’t know Sehun had it in him.”

 

Luhan opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out.

 

“When Sehun first told me he was moving, he was hysterical. He said he was sick and tired of everyone, but most of all, he was exhausted. Sehun’s a fragile boy, but he’s also the most honest and pure-hearted person I have ever met in my long life. I don’t know what happened after he moved away years ago, but looking at the state he is in right now, it looks like a miracle happened. And I’m getting a feeling that the miracle was you.”

 

Luhan could tell that he was turning red. The lady looked at him fondly before letting out a soft laugh.

 

“Thank you so much for helping my grandson,” she murmured, “and, if you’ll be kind enough to listen to an old lady’s request, don’t give up on him. Forgive him if he does anything stupid, because he really doesn’t mean it. He’s a good kid. I think you already know that.”

 

The old lady slowly let go of Luhan’s hand. Luhan blinked slowly, and nodded in an almost dazed fashion.

 

“Thank you,” she said, and Luhan gave her one last look before exiting the store.

 

“I’m starting to notice that you always come out of restaurants minutes after I leave,” Sehun commented. “What do you do in there? Gossip about me?"

 

Luhan chuckled quietly, amused at how close to the answer Sehun was. “She was telling me that you were a spoiled brat and that I was an angel for sticking with you.”

 

Sehun snorted and crossed his arms. “There’s no way she said that. Halmoni loves me.”

 

“I’m starting to think she likes me better,” Luhan teased. Suddenly, his phone started ringing and he took it out with a frustrated groan.

 

“Hello?” He asked. There was a long screech from the other side, before a voice finally spoke up.

 

“Luhan! Where are you?”

 

“I just finished eating with Sehun at Main street. What’s up, Byun?”

 

There was another pause, and Luhan had to double check to see that Baekhyun was still on the line.

 

“Baekhyun. What’s wrong?”

 

Baekhyun let out an agitated sigh.

 

“Jongin and Kyungsoo went out right after you did, and they’re still not back. Neither of them are answering their phones either. We all know that leaving those two alone for a long time isn’t doing anyone good, so find them before goes down. Everyone else is already out looking for them.”

 

Before Luhan could reply, the line went dead. He dropped his arm and stared blankly ahead.

 

“Is everything alright?” Sehun said with a frown. Luhan’s eyebrows furrowed and he stepped forward, grabbing Sehun’s arm.

 

“Kyungsoo and Jongin are missing. Together. We need to find them.”

 


First day of sleepover! 

I think I'm having too much fun writing these idiots banter with each other. There is seriously not one sane person in that friend group. It's kind of sad if you think about it, because Sehun is supposed to be the 'normal' one yet he is sooo sooo far from normal.

I guess that's why Luhan likes him ;)

So, a couple of you guys asked who my favorite characters were....and so far they are Jongin and Chanyeol. I know, I know, probably unexpected, but I have my reasons. Chanyeol is probably the sweetest character in this story, and I feel ridiculous for saying this but I respect the way he treats Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. That confrontation between Chanyeol and Kyungsoo is probably one of my favorite parts of this story. Jongin is such a confused pitiful person that everytime I write his name I die a little bit inside. Seriously, although I'm the one who ed up Kaisoo's relationship, I'm getting ridiculously frustrated with my own characters. 

Next chapter will be on Wednesday or Thursday. Oh, one more thing! I'm going on a temporary hiatus and after the next update will be back around the first week of April. That means you will be missing around two to three updates (since I update twice a week) , but please don't be too mad at me! I'm going abroad, actually, on Wednesday because of a competition thing for school.

Don't worry though! You guys get one more update before I leave!