Not-Exactly-A-Couple

Queer & Proud

 

“Dinner!"

 

Baekhyun’s shrill voice rang throughout the apartment. Minseok and Jongdae came out of their bedroom, beaming, as they sat side by side on the floor. Baekhyun gave them a look of disgust before ripping open the box of chicken.

 

“Luhan! Bring some plates and forks. Oh, and cups too!”

 

“He can’t possibly carry all that by himself,” Sehun mumbled as he stood up from his seat and went into the kitchen to help Luhan. Baekhyun snorted and turned to Jongin. “Gay. I told you.”

 

“I never doubted you,” Jongin retorted as he took out a large chicken drumstick and took a bite.

 

“You call him hetero,” Baekhyun pointed out. “You should probably change that to homo now.”

 

“The bet’s still on, Baekhyun,” Minseok warned as he took out two pieces, handing one to Jongdae. “Hold your horses.”

 

“Yes, and I’m going to win it,” Baekhyun grinned. “All that money. Mine.

 

“Crazy,” Jongin mouthed, earning a kick to the shin. When he dropped his chicken on the ground, he spun around to glare.

 

“That was unnecessary.”

 

“Everything I do is necessary,” Baekhyun said, but reached down to hand Jongin some tissues. “It’s still edible. Don’t be a baby.”

 

“Must you two fight all the time?” Luhan whined as he walked over with a stack of plates. Sehun followed him out, his arms filled with cups and forks. Baekhyun snickered at the sight, and Sehun gave him a pointed look before handing him the utensils last.

 

“Someone bring Kyungsoo and Chanyeol,” Jongdae said between bites, and as soon as the words left his mouth, the bedroom door swung open. Chanyeol came out with a smile; Kyungsoo following his steps.

 

“Sorry everyone,” Chanyeol’s loud voice boomed, and he quickly sat down next to Baekhyun. The only remaining seat was the one beside Jongin, and Kyungsoo stared at it for a while before slowly sitting down.

 

“You alright?” Jongin asked as he handed a particularly large piece of chicken to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo nodded and took it gratefully, even attempting to send the boy a weak smile.

 

“Sorry I freaked out on you,” Kyungsoo mumbled, and the whole room, having been listening in on the conversation, went still in shock. Baekhyun gaped, Chanyeol chuckled quietly, Jongdae started choking on his chicken, Minseok blinked slowly, Luhan beamed, and Sehun shook his head.

 

“Did Kyungsoo just....say sorry....to Jongin?” Jongdae whispered, although his voice was far too loud to count as a whisper. “To Jongin? I knew he was going to try giving Jongin a chance, but this is just spectacular.

 

“That’s great,” Luhan said, his eyes turning into crescent moons, “I’m glad, Kyungsoo. Thank you for giving him a chance.”

 

“You sound like my mother,” Jongin grumbled, although his cheeks were tinted pink. He reached and took another fat piece of chicken, putting it on Kyungsoo’s plate.

 

“I’m going to be fat because of you,” Kyungsoo joked, and the whole room turned silent once more. This time, Jongdae appeared to be actually choking.

 

“Miracles really do happen,” Baekhyun hummed happily, catching the way Luhan stole a quick glance at Sehun.

 

Jongdae and Minseok also seemed to catch it, as they began winking at Luhan, who blushed beet red and looked away.

 

“Here,” Sehun said, taking a piece out and handing it to Luhan. “You aren’t eating very much.”

 

“I’m still kind of full from the noodles,” Luhan smiled. “It was really good.”

 

“What noodles?” Jongdae demanded. “Noodles? Good noodles? Where?”

 

“Pig,” Luhan shook his head. Sehun snickered and pat Luhan’s hunched up back. “It’s where I used to go all the time. It’s really good. I can take you guys there if you’d like.”

 

“Sounds great!” Chanyeol exclaimed.

 

“Wait, you used to go there a lot?” Baekhyun questioned. Sehun answered with a short nod.

 

“I lived here when I was younger. I moved a lot since, but the food here is the best.”

 

“True that,” Baekhyun said, lifting his chicken to the air. “Best food ever.”

 

“He’s so weird,” Jongin whined, but successfully moved away before Baekhyun could kick him in the shin again. Kyungsoo stared at Jongin and chuckled quietly. Luhan, the only one who caught it, smiled to himself as he took a bite of the chicken.

 

“You have something on your mouth,” Sehun pointed out. Luhan frowned and attempted to wipe it off with his sleeve. Sehun frowned and groaned, grabbing a tissue and wiping it off himself.

 

“You’re filthy, Luhan.”

 

“But you’re overly neat, so I think I’ll be fine.”

 

“Too optimistic,” Sehun muttered under his breath, shaking his head as he rolled the used tissue into a ball and threw it into the trashcan.

 

“Nice shot,” Luhan bumped his shoulder against Sehun’s. Sehun gave him a small smile, and the two continued to eat. Minseok, who was already done with his meal, put down his plate and eyed the two with interest.

 

“So strange,” he murmurred. “To be gay, or not to be gay. That is the question.”

 

“Do not quote Shakespeare in such context,” Jongdae whispered. Minseok snickered in reply, putting some leftovers on his boyfriend’s plate.

 

“Just eat.”

 

Jongdae hummed back in reply, digging back in. Minseok turned his gaze to the not-exactly-a-couple in front of him. Baekhyun was giggling because of something Chanyeol just said. Chanyeol was beaming down at the smaller boy, a smile that Minseok was sure could frighten any kid under the age of six. Chanyeol was also putting extra pieces of chicken on Baekhyun’s plate, who took it gratefully and nibbled on them slowly. Snorting, Minseok looked away to the next not-exactly-a-couple.

 

Jongin and Kyungsoo were strikingly different. They weren’t as open as the other two pair, but something was definitely heavier - more serious. Jongin kept glancing at Kyungsoo, his mouth opening and closing repeatedly as if he wanted to say something but was too afraid to say it. Kyungsoo kept his eyes focused on the plate, but he lifted his head occasionally to meet Jongin’s eyes with a tentative smile.

 

It was a sweet sight, but nonetheless a little heartbreaking. They were both so nervous and cautious around each other. Sighing, Minseok returned his gaze to Jongdae, who was busy stuffing food in his mouth.

 

“Hey, honey? Do you want me to go get more food? You seem to be starving.”

 

Jongdae froze. He slowly lifted his head, staring wide-eyed at Minseok.

 

“S-sorry?”

 

“Jongdae, darling, it was simple question.”

 

Jongdae gulped loudly, slowly putting down his plate.

 

“M-minseok. Stop it. I didn’t do anything wrong. You’re scaring me.”

 

Minseok’s eye twitched. He sighed and glared at his boyfriend. “I was trying to be sweet and caring.”

 

“Well, stop. It’s creepy.”

 

Minseok’s glare darkened. “We’re the only legitimate couple here, and those three act like they’re more in love with each other than us.”

 

“You weren’t nice to me ever since you asked me out, and even then you were sort of a .”

 

“I am perfectly nice to you!” Minseok protested. “Besides, it’s not like you’re ever kind to me.”

 

“The couple’s having a fight,” Luhan sang from the side. “Everyone, come purchase first row tickets. This is precious.”

 

“Shut up, Luhan,” Minseok and Jongdae snapped. Luhan shrugged, grin widening. Sehun was leaning back in the couch, looking at Luhan in amusement.

 

“I swear, if you two start acting lovey dovey, I’m going to kick you out,” Baekhyun drawled, pointing a drumstick in their direction.

 

“That’s a bit rich coming from you,” Minseok said, “you were the one cuddling to Chanyeol’s side and giggling.

 

Baekhyun flushed red, and Chanyeol sighed before shaking his head. “Leave him alone. Please?”

 

“And you two!” Minseok accused, turning to Sehun and Luhan. “You guys are worse! Much, much worse!”

 

“What the ?” Sehun cocked an eyebrow, not bothering to straighten up. “Leave us alone.”

 

“Not as bad as you two though!” Minseok pointed to Jongin and Kyungsoo, who were staring quietly along. “You two are the worst! It makes me sick.”

 

“Us?” Jongin asked. “We weren’t even doing anything.”

 

“That’s the problem,” Minseok growled. Jongdae sighed and reached out to grab Minseok’s shoulder. He pulled the boy closer for a hug.

 

“Don’t bother yourself with those three lost cases,” Jongdae muttered. Minseok made a small gurgling sound, and Luhan cackled loudly, earning a sharp poke from Sehun.

 

“Don’t laugh at their misery, Luhan,” Sehun scolded. He looked down at Luhan’s empty plate. “Are you done?”

 

“Mhmm,” Luhan replied, setting it down. “I’m so full.”

 

“Good! You won’t bother me in the middle of the night then.”

 

“I never do that,” Luhan retorted, cheeks tinted pink. Sehun rolled his eyes and leaned forward.

 

“I’m sure you don’t. Do I need to remind you of all the times you woke me up just because you were starving and wanted to steal some food from the school convenience store?”

 

“Okay, fine, maybe I do. You never complained though.”

 

“Are you kidding me?” Sehun gave Luhan an incredulous look. “I refused to get out of bed and whined to you about it for the whole time.”

 

“But you still went with me, so there,” Luhan slammed his hands on his knees, grinning victoriously. “I win.”

 

“Wait, the convenience store is open during the night?”

 

Luhan turned to see Baekhyun gaping at him. He laughed sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck.

 

“Not exactly. I know the code, so I just....broke my way in.”

 

 

 

“My god,” Jongin muttered, “you’re worse than I am.”

 

“Only with food,” Luhan argued. “Don’t compare me with you. That’s disgraceful.”

 

“Geez, thanks Luhan,” Jongin said as he stood up, taking the empty plates with him. “Who’s doing the dishes?”

 

“Not me!”

 

Jongin sighed, giving everyone a tired look. “Seriously. Someone has to do this. I’ll do it tonight, but I need someone to do it with me.”

 

“Woah, you’re actually volunteering? So grown up, Jongin!” Baekhyun thumped his friend’s back. Jongin grumbled something under his breath and shifted away.

 

“I can do it.”

 

Jongin looked down to see Kyungsoo fidgeting with his fingers.

 

“You sure? You should go and rest.”

 

“I’m fine,” Kyungsoo replied, looking up. “I’ll do it tonight.”

 

“Well, if that’s the case,” Luhan stood up, stretching his arms and yawning. “Come on, Sehun. We should go and buy some groceries to last over a week.”

 

“Now?” Sehun turned around to look outside the window. “Luhan, it’s past nine. It’s really dark right now. Can we go tomorrow morning?”

 

“I’m not going to be awake tomorrow morning,” Luhan snorted and tugged on Sehun’s hand. “Hurry up, Sehun. I don’t want to go alone.”

 

“It’s late; of course you aren’t going alone,” Sehun sighed and stood up, allowing Luhan to pull him to the front door.

 

“We’ll be back!” Luhan said, and when everyone turned to wave at them, Sehun glanced at them briefly with a pained expression before closing the door.

 

“Baekhyun told me the supermarket is pretty close,” Luhan mumbled. “I think it’s that way. Oh, right, you have your money with you, right?”

 

“Don’t tell me you forgot your wallet,” Sehun deadpanned. Luhan smiled meekly, turning up his pockets to show nothing.

 

“It’s in my jacket, and I left it in our room. Oops.”

 

“I’m so getting everyone to pay me back,” Sehun muttered quietly. “This is going to horrifically expensive.”

 

 

 

“I’ll get Jongdae and Jongin to pay for sure. Minseok and Baekhyun, though, I’m not sure. They’re harder to crack.”

 

“Oh, I can get Baekhyun to crack,” Sehun snorted. “All I have to do is start talking to Chanyeol about how much Baekhyun adores him and bam, fifty thousand won in my hands.”

 

“That’s mean,” Luhan reprimanded, his eyes smiling.

 

 

 

“Baekhyun can be so terrifying. If I was Jongin, I would’ve combusted under his glare.”

 

“He’s the scariest out of us, really, although I’ve been told I’m scarier when I’m angry,” Luhan said with glee.

 

“You? Scary? Pshh,” Sehun chuckled, ignoring the glare Luhan sent him. “You’d just start breaking down when you’re angry.”

 

“Don’t test my patience, Sehun,” Luhan threatened, and Sehun looked at him over his shoulders.

 

“Or what? You’re going to start hitting me with your flimsy hands?” He smiled. “Sorry, that was mean.”

 

“I don’t get angry very easily. I get ticked, sure, and upset. But rarely genuinely angry. I was pissed off earlier today. Hearing all those comments shook me. But I didn’t lose it.  I think I just turn extremely cold when I’m actually mad.”

 

“Cold?” Sehun asked in surprise. “That would be a sight to see.”

 

“Hopefully you won’t,” Luhan smiled brightly. “I hate being mad at people. It’s frustrating and tiring. I won’t get mad at you though, so don’t worry.”

 

“That’s a relief,” Sehun replied. “I don’t want to be at the receiving end of furious, hulk Luhan.”

 

“Sehun!” Luhan slapped Sehun’s arm, laughing.

 

“Wait, I think that’s the supermarket,” Sehun pointed at a small shop across the street. “Yellow signs, right? Watermelons on display, 12% discount. That one?”

 

“I think so,” Luhan hummed in reply, and the two crossed the street and entered. Luhan pulled out a cart, and Sehun entered a coin to start pushing.

 

“What do we need to buy?” He questioned, checking his wallet. He thought he should have enough money, but he couldn’t be sure.

 

“There were enough rice, kimchi, and basic ingredients at home,” Luhan frowned as he tired to remember, fingers gripping at the side of the cart. “We need to buy some pork, some veggies, fruit, probably, because you like them right? Sweets too, of course.”

 

“So basically everything,” Sehun sighed, eyeing his wallet sadly. “Fine, let’s go get the vegetables first.”

 

“Ew,” Luhan frowned, but followed Sehun to the green section.

 

“Can I go ahead and look at the sweets department?”

 

“No,” Sehun replied firmly. “You’re not going anywhere by yourself. You’re just going to get lost and be a pain in the .”

 

“But vegetables are so boring,” Luhan whined as he saw Sehun pick a couple fresh looking greens and put them in the cart.

 

“They’re also healthy, and necessary for most meals, so deal with it.”

 

“Meat now?”

 

Sehun looked like he was trying to decide between laughing and sighing. “Yes, meat.”

 

Luhan ran over to the red section on the other side, looking down at the display. “This looks good?” He asked as he turned to face Sehun. Sehun leaned forward, checking the meat Luhan was looking at.

 

“Sure, it’s good,” Sehun gestured at it, and the worker soon weighed it and handed the pork to them. Luhan quickly pushed the vegetables out of the way and placed the meat in the center.

 

“I feel like I’m shopping with a child,” Sehun muttered. Luhan ignored him and dragged the cart to the yellow section, filled with all sorts of fruits.

 

“Take your pick!” Luhan leaned against the cart, watching as Sehun picked out a variety and dumped them in.

 

“This is going to be really expensive,” Luhan said as he eyed the cart.

 

Sehun looked at him before opening his mouth. “Any chance of skipping the sweets section then?”

 

Luhan’s head snapped up and he gaped at Sehun, looking absolutely horrified at the mere suggestion.

 

“Of course not!” He exclaimed, and ran ahead before Sehun could stop him. Sehun whimpered and slowly followed him.

 

“Get only what you really want, alright?”

 

“Don’t nag.”

 

Sehun sighed as he watched Luhan pick out several boxes, grinning brightly as he struggled to bring them over.

 

“Take the oreos out,” he ordered, but Luhan merely shoved them deeper into the pile.

 

“You don’t need strawberry oreos, regular oreos, mint oreos, and chocolate oreos, Luhan!”

 

“They’re all different! Don’t you dare say that!” Luhan stomped his foot on the ground. “I let you pick all those vegetables. I get to pick the sweets.”

 

“I’m the one who’s paying,” Sehun stressed, pointing at his wallet.

 

“Everyone’s going to pay you back anyway,” Luhan argued back, and covered the sweets protectively with his arms. “You’re not taking them away.”

 

“Fine, be a kid then!” Sehun shoved the cart out of Luhan’s arms and stomped over to the cashier. He could hear Luhan snicker and hurry to catch up.

 

“Thanks, Sehunnie,” Luhan said with a smile, but Sehun quickly turned his face, eyeing the increasing price bar with a sick expression.

 

“Seventy three thousand won,” the cashier said as she scanned the last item, turning around to look at Sehun expectantly. Sehun struggled to open his wallet, reluctantly taking out the bills and handing them to her.

 

“I’m going to put interest on this,” Sehun seethed as they each grabbed a large shopping bag, walking out of the market. “200% interest.”

 

“I’ll pay you my share for the rest, but I refuse to pay you for the vegetables.”

 

Sehun rolled his eyes to the sky and let out a small, frustrated groan.

 
 

 


Hey everyone!

It's been only a few days since the last update, but I (think?) I won't be able to update until near the end of the week (meaning anything from thursday to sunday) so I decided to just go ahead and give you guys something to enjoy for now. 

This chapter has a bit of every couple but mostly hunhan. Hopefully it's something you guys wanted? <3

i'm writing much more xiuchen these days it feels weird.

i just finished writing a chapter (that's going to come in a couple more chapters, so you guys don't have to worry for now) that's either going to make you want to kill me or run away in shock/betrayal/what-the--is-this-ness. I'm looking forward to it. 

btw, i have a question for you all. Please don't kill me for being an annoying writer. forgive me juseyo

My korean friends and I were talking the other day, and they were really curious to what the korean language sounded like to foreigners. I wasn't sure if I already asked this question, but I don't remember the answers so I'm just going to go ahead and ask again. 

What does korean sound like to you guys? Is it rough or soft? I asked some foreign friends of mine, and one said korean sounded really harsh like we're fighting all the time (but it might be because whenever I used korean in front of him I'm usually screaming at him for being stupid) and another said it sounded kind of like japanese - really gentle and smooth-flowing. 

What are your thoughts?