Fitting In

Queer & Proud

“Kyungsoo, wake up.”

 

Kyungsoo frowned and turned over, burying his head in the pillow. He felt a hand shake his shoulders gently and immediately a low growl was emitted through his throat.

 

“Stop touching me Jongin.”

 

The hand froze midway and slowly Kyungsoo could feel Jongin pull away. After a long sigh, Kyungsoo dragged his body up and slowly rubbed his tired eyes.

 

 


“You slept late again last night?” Jongin asked. Kyungsoo grumbled, shooting Jongin a quick glare.

 

“Why do you care?” Kyungsoo shot before standing up. His feet wobbled and he felt his legs weaken. Jongin leapt forward in hurry and catched Kyungsoo’s falling figure, looking down at the shorter boy in worry. He was quickly pushed away as Kyungsoo grabbed the bed instead, trying to keep a safe distance between the two.

 

“Don’t touch me,” Kyungsoo repeated, gritting his teeth. Jongin’s face contorted to one of pain but Kyungsoo could care less. He ignored the boy and pushed past him, entering the bathroom to get ready for the day. The room was silent, and when he came out expecting Jongin to be gone, he was surprised that he was sitting silently on his bed, staring blankly out the window.

 

“You’re still here?” Kyungsoo spat, and he saw Jongin visibly flinch at the harsh tone. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and walked over to his desk, grabbing all the books he would need. He felt a figure shuffle next to him and turned around slowly to see Jongin leaning on the wall beside him, giving him a small and tentative smile.

 

“I was wondering if you wanted to go eat in that new restaurant downtown tonight. My friends were talking about it the other day and they said that the sushi there is pretty good.”

 

Kyungsoo sighed and slammed his books down, glaring at the boy.

 

“Why don’t you take one of your many instead? I’m sure they’ll be more than happy to accompany you. Who knows, maybe you’ll get laid too. I’ll make sure to stay out of the room so you can feel free to do all you ing want to.”

 

Kyungsoo spun around, grabbed his bookbag, and slammed the door behind him.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t have to check to see Jongin’s face to know that he had hurt the boy’s feelings. He wasn’t usually this rude, but whenever it came to Kim Jongin he couldn’t control himself. The boy infuriated him. Everything about his self-confident demeanor to his promiscuous behavior pissed him off. The boy had chased him for a total of nine years, but it was obvious to Kyungsoo that Jongin took it as a game. He just couldn’t understand what was going through Jongin’s thick head. One moment he was laughing and flirting with him, but suddenly he would be all sincere and serious. He was getting tired of it and wanted all of it to stop.

 

“Kyungsoo!” Kyungsoo’s friend Chanyeol called out, waving at him with a bright smile from their usual table. Kyungsoo smiled back and shuffled over, taking a seat beside him.

 

“Jongin?” Chanyeol asked after taking a quick look on Kyungsoo’s exhausted face. Kyungsoo groaned and nodded, earning a light chuckle from the taller male.

 

“Well, you’ve got to hand it to him. He’s one determined guy. Not to mention the whole thing is freaking hilarious.”

 

“Chanyeol!” Kyungsoo scolded and hit Chanyeol’s arms, “this is serious!”

 

“Yeah, yeah sure. Sorry,” Chanyeol teased and poked Kyungsoo’s cheeks. “Gosh, you’re adorable. No wonder Jongin is in love with you.”

 

“He is not in love in with me!” Kyungsoo screeched, making Chanyeol snort loudly.

 

“Are we sure we’re talking about the same Jongin? The Kim Jongin who screams “I love Do Kyungsoo” as his meal prayer every day and sends you a dozen roses every week?”

 

“It’s all a joke,” Kyungsoo repeated matter-of-factly, and when Chanyeol opened his mouth to retort, Kyungsoo sent him a sharp glare signaling that the conversation was over. Chanyeol promptly closed his mouth and slumped over in his seat.

 

Chanyeol’s bad mood didn’t last long, and soon enough Chanyeol’s eyes brightened and mouth curled into a wide grin.

 

“I met him the other day,” Chanyeol blurted. Kyungsoo turned to him with a questioning look and followed Chanyeol’s finger to the table at the very back. His face turned into a scowl and he quickly looked away.

 

“That was not what I wanted to see this early,” Kyungsoo grumbled and took a bite off Chanyeol’s plate. “Which one of those idiots did you see?”

 

“The one in the blue beanie. You know, the one who’s slumped over and asleep?”

 

Kyungsoo laughed airly. “Oh, you mean the lazy- one.” He stole yet another bite, chewing slowly. “Where did you see him? I thought he never left his room.”

 

Chanyeol scratched the back of his head with a confused look.

 

“Really? I saw him at Baskin Robbins. I started working there a couple days ago. I heard from the other guys that he comes there pretty often.”

 

“Should’ve known Byun Baekhyun would be as obnoxious as the rest,” Kyungsoo muttered.

 

“Is that his name? He ran off before I could ask,” Chanyeol hummed quietly. Kyungsoo frowned slightly at Chanyeol and shook his head in disapproval.

 

“Just don’t get close to him, alright? I’ll kill myself if my best friend starts hanging out with Jongin’s crew.”

 

Chanyeol winked at his friend mischievously. Kyungsoo stared at Chanyeol, then at the plate in front of him, and back to his friend.

 

“You can have if you want,” Chanyeol laughed and pushed the food towards his friend, who looked at him gratefully and began digging in. He leaned back and allowed his eyes to slowly wander back to the boy sprawled across the lunch table, lips parted and eyes slightly open. He smiled and shook his head, finding the whole scene ridiculously adorable.



 

 

 

Jongin sighed for the upteenth time that hour. His feet was hanging off the edge of the building and his upper body was safely secured behind bars. His arms were swinging back and forth, his headphones blasting music loudly which resonated in his head. He hummed quietly along, although his thoughts were far off with a certain boy.

 

He enjoyed the peace up in the rooftop. Nobody ever came there, save for himself and a few of his friends. But it was mostly him. Luhan spent most of his time in the garden, Baekhyun raced to the ice cream shop whenever he had time, and Minseok was usually in the game room along with Jongdae. Kyungsoo, of course, was always in the library. The rooftop was reserved for him, and he knew that he would be safe to be vulnerable up here.

 

Dipping his head low, Jongin closed his head and enjoyed the gentle breeze. It was neither too cold nor too hot - just the right temperature. He slowly lied down, his back hitting the cold concrete floor. His hair shuffled slightly in the wind but his mind remained focused on Do Kyungsoo, the one mystery he couldn’t figure out.

 

Jongin suddenly felt his headphones be pulled off and the loud music turn fainter and fainter. His eyes shot open and he came face to face with a frowning Baekhyun.

 

“Should’ve known you would be up here,” Baekhyun mumbled as he took a seat next to Jongin, who stared at him with curiosity.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jongin asked as he pulled himself up from the ground, his shoulders touching Baekhyun’s. “Shouldn’t you be eating your third cup of ice cream already?”

 

Baekhyun laughed airly and stared at his fidgeting fingers.

 

“I don’t think I’m going back for a very long time.”

 

Jongin’s pupils almost popped out of its sockets as he gaped at Baekhyun.

 

“You’re doing what? Who are you and what have you done with my best friend?”

 

Baekhyun frowned and he punched Jongin’s arm, earning a painful hiss from the other boy.

 

“Shove off,” Baekhyun sighed and went back to staring at his hands, “I’m not in the mood.”

 

“Is this actually serious? Serious enough for me to start being nice?”

 

Kim Jongin.

 

Jongin chuckled and shrugged, giving Baekhyun a sly smile. Baekhyun shook his head and leaned forward, resting his arms on the iron bars.

 

“I haven’t eaten any ice cream for a day now and I think I’m going insane.”

 

Jongin followed Baekhyun, resting his own arms on the bars.

 

“If it makes you feel any better, I just got rejected again. And it hurts. A lot.”

 

Baekhyun glanced at the pained look on Jongin’s face and slowly placed his hand on Jongin’s shoulder, squeezing it slightly.

 

“I’m sorry,” Baekhyun whispered, “are you alright?”

 

Jongin bit his lips. “I’ll be fine,” he murmured, “I’m used to it. If I cried for every hurtful thing Kyungsoo said to me, I'll be dehydrated.”

 

Baekhyun grinned and shuffled Jongin’s hair in a playful way before retreating his hand. The two boys stared blankly ahead, the bright sun shining down on them.

 

“Besides, I know I’m perfect for him. Kyungsoo will eventually see it too. I have hope.”

 

With a loud groan, Baekhyun pushed Jongin. Jongin chuckled and slung his arm around Baekhyun’s shoulders

 

“So,” Jongin started, stealing a gaze at Baekhyun, “are you going to tell me what’s up with you’re sudden cutback on the only thing you live off of?”

 

Jongin noticed Baekhyun turn bright red. Baekhyun coughed awkwardly and avoided Jongin’s curious gaze.

 

“It’s nothing.”

 

Jongin cocked an eyebrow and leaned towards Baekhyun. “You can’t expect me to believe that.”

 

With a loud groan, Baekhyun slumped forward and pouted.

 

“I made a fool out of myself, that’s what happened. Like a complete idiot. Now I can’t ever go back.”

 

“I’m sorry. Can you repeat that again so I can actually understand what happened?”

 

Baekhyun hesitated, his red cheeks burning up.

 

“T-there was this guy-”

 

Jongin immediately bursted out in laughter. “Oh my gosh, this is going to be good.”

 

Baekhyun pointed a sharp glare at Jongin. “Be a good friend, will you?”

 

Jongin nodded but couldn’t help himself from smiling from ear to ear.

 

“Anyways, he was really cute. Really sweet, too. He was being really friendly and well, my inner stupid came out and I ended up snapping at him. And then of course he caught me cursing at myself for being such an idiot.”

 

Baekhyun banged his head against the iron bar, yelling in frustration.

 

“He was freaking laughing at me! I made myself seem like a total joke in front of the cutest guy I saw in my whole high school career, and now I can’t even eat ice cream anymore because I’m never going to be able to bring myself to face him again.”

 

Jongin grinned and pinched Baekhyun’s cheeks, bringing the smaller guy nearer.

 

“Come on Baek. I doubt he’ll care. He probably thinks it’s really cute. You’re adorable, you know that? Don’t be so anxious. Just go back and talk to him.”

 

Baekhyun pouted further and leaned his head on Jongin’s arm.

 

“I’m never going back. And that’s final.”

 

Jongin laughed out loud.

 

“Sure thing, shortie.”


 

 

 

 

Sehun took one step out of the classroom, his books tucked neatly into his bag, when he was pulled forward by a strong grip.

“What the fu-” he yelled in surprise before he caught sight of Luhan grinning up at him.

 

“Hi!” Luhan exclaimed, “I was just making sure you don’t try to run away.”

 

Sehun frowned. “Run away from what?”

 

“Eating with us of course!” Luhan exclaimed as he dragged Sehun down the hallway and into the cafeteria. Sehun caught sight of the same table he sat at yesterday and groaned inwardly, dreading going any closer. Luhan ignored the look on his face and pushed him into a seat before taking his next to Sehun.

 

“I convinced him to sit with us,” Luhan beamed. Baekhyun shook his head before extending a hand, giving Sehun a tired smile.

 

“Hi, my name’s Baekhyun. Seems like Luhan has taken a liking to you.”

 

Sehun hesitantly returned a handshake. Minseok and Jongdae grinned at him, recognizing him from history class.

 

“You’re back again, Oh Sehun. The way you ran off yesterday made me think you were never coming back,” Jongin teased. Luhan sent him a quick glare, and Jongin shrugged his shoulders.

 

Sehun sighed. “I didn’t think I’d be back this early too,” he grumbled. Luhan knudged him.

 

“At least try to enjoy it. You’re going to have to make friends, whether you like it or not. You’re not going to get nicer people than us.”

 

Luhan smiled softly and stood up.

 

“Do you want me to get you something to eat?”

 

Sehun looked up and opened his mouth. “I can get something myself,” he started as he tried to stand up, but was pushed back down.

 

“You stay here and get to know these kids,” Luhan pointed at the group and with a small wink in Sehun’s direction, he walked away. Sehun sat still, dumbfounded, as he slowly scanned the table.

 

“Don’t be scared. We don’t bite,” Jongin said and leaned forward with a smile. “Before you decide to run off again, welcome to this school, hetero.”

 

Sehun blinked. “Hetero?’

 

Baekhyun sighed and shook his head. “It’s his nickname for you. You know, you being heteroual and all. Don’t be offended or anything.”

 

Sehun cracked a tiny smile. “Wow, I didn’t think being called a hetero ever could sound like an insult.”

 

Jongdae laughed out loud. “Better get used to it, kiddo. You’re going to be hearing that a lot from now on.”

 

“Yeah, I have a lot to get used to, don’t I?”

 

The rest of the table nodded in unison, earning a devastated look from Sehun.

 

“You’re a second year, aren’t you?” Baekhyun asked and extended an arm, “can I see your schedule?”

 

Sehun nodded and took out his schedule, handing it to Baekhyun. Baekhyun took it and scanned it, a small smile finding its way on his face.

 

“We have third, sixth, and last period together,” Baekhyun said as he handed it back. “That’ll be fun. Lucky for you, you only have one class with Jongin. Congratulations!”

 

“Hey!” Jongin yelled, “Sehun should be grateful to have even one class with me.”

 

Everyone snorted at this, and Sehun couldn’t help but smile himself at the comment.

 

“Why am I always being treated as a joke?” Jongin whined and stabbed the pasta with a small pout. “What did I ever do.”

 

Baekhyun pat Jongin’s head with a smirk. “It’s okay Jong. It’s not your fault you’re such an easy target.”

 

“Piss off!” Jongin pushed Baekhyun away, and looked up in time to see Luhan strolling over, struggling to carry two heavy trays in his arms.

 

“I’m back,” Luhan called out as he put down the two trays on the table and slipped beside Sehun. He looked at Sehun and smiled. “Had fun?”

 

“Sure,” Sehun murmured as he pulled the tray closer and began munching on the salad. Luhan hid a look of amusement as he began eating his own portion.

 

 


HOLY CRAP GUYS THIS IS TOO MUCH FOR ME TO HANDLE RIGHT NOW

I love all of you guys. Seriously

Just as an fyi, the reason I'm updating two days in a row is because I'm going to be very busy for the next two weeks and although I probably will update at least once or twice, I wanted to fit in as many chapters as I could before my two hell weeks started. If both you and I are lucky, then I might update during this weekend and the next. If I'm not...well......it's going to be next week.

HOWEVER i did get a lot of writing done these past couple of days (YAY FREAKING YAY) and I feel so much better now. I have Kaisoo plot all figured out, Baekyeol kinda, and hunhan too. 

Is it just me, or can I just not separate angst and Kaisoo? Kaisoo is still going to be fluff now and then, but it's going to have its angsty moments guys. So be prepared :)

Anyways, thank you much! For all the newcomers, don't forget to vote, subscribe, and comment below!