His Protection

Queer & Proud

“Fags.”

 

Jongin froze for a split second, but he soon felt his blood boil and he spun around with a dark look.

 

What did you say?”

 

One of the boys, obviously the one who had spoken, leaned back in his seat.

 

“What, so fags can’t even hear properly now?” He sneered. “I guess it’s not even a surprise. With everything you do, it must you up badly.”

 

Kyungsoo stood still, back still facing the boys and hands gripping tightly on Jongin’s shirt. He had turned deadly pale, and Jongin would’ve already jumped forward to punch the boy to the ground if he didn’t think Kyungsoo would drop to the floor.

 

I can’t use violence, Jongin chanted in his head. He had just earned Kyungsoo’s trust; he couldn’t lose it because of some stupid douchebags. I need to finish this fast and take Kyungsoo out.

 

“He’s a friend,” Jongin gritted his teeth. If this was what society expected him to say, he would gladly do it for Kyungsoo’s sake. “We came here for dessert, not to hear some bull from you dickheads.”

 

The boy scoffed, and a couple other snickered, sending Jongin a look of malice. “We know fags when we see them. It’s disgusting, really, how you’re just allowed to roam freely with your revolting thoughts and tendencies.”

 

We’re friends, goddammit,” Jongin hissed, his fingers curling up into tights fists. “I don’t see us shooting insults at you pricks for being gay, so leave us the alone.”

 

“Fags,” the boy repeated as he stood up, pushing his way through his friends and walking forward with a sneer. “Fags. Pansy. Poof. er.

 

“,” Kyungsoo cried, his eyes closed shut as his legs finally gave up and he crumbled to the floor. “Oh my god, Jongin.

 

Jongin’s hands were now visibly shaking, and he was stuck between dragging Kyungsoo out and ripping the boy apart.

 

“Your boyfriend is crying. How sad." The corner of the boy’s mouth went up.

 

“I swear, if you don’t shut up right now, I am going-”

 

“To what? What can you do? Oh, should I be afraid of being ually harassed? Please don’t touch me. Your boyfriend is watching. Well, I guess seeing he’s a as well, you can simply take him home and treat him like the obvious he is-”

 

Jongin’s patience snapped and he sprang forward, his fist knocking the boy to the ground. He could hear Kyungsoo’s ragged breathing, but he was much too angry to stop. He hadn’t gotten into a physical fight for years now, and although his skill had decreased, the pure anger covered for it. He rammed the boy’s head against the counter, and the cashier, who had been staring at their interaction with wide eyes, let out a small shriek and ran out.

 

“I have had it up to here with your nonsense,” Jongin spat, “you can insult me all you want, but the moment you start insulting Kyungsoo, I will ing kill you, do you understand me? Fine, we’re gay, but at least we don’t use our ing stupidity to hate on people we’ve never even met, you moron.”

 

“Doesn’t change the fact you’re a ,” the boy managed to cough out, his mouth bloody. Jongin’s eye twitched and something snapped in him, and before he could stop himself his fist was pounding at the boy beneath him repeatedly.

 

“Kim ing Jongin!”

 

Jongin was too far gone to hear, and he only snapped out of his trance when somebody grabbed his arm and pulled him over. He looked up to glare when he saw Luhan peering down at him, pure anger sketched on his face.

 

“I don’t want to hear what happened,” Luhan snapped. “Kyungsoo’s crying, and you’re leaving him alone. Take him out, calm him, and go downstairs. Sehun’s looking for you two down there.”

 

Jongin’s head snapped back, and he saw Kyungsoo sitting on the floor, sobbing into his hands. Guilt pierced him and he quickly scrambled to his feet, running over to the boy.

 

“Kyungsoo, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done it. I’m really sorry,” Jongin pleaded, reaching out to hold Kyungsoo’s hands. Kyungsoo shrieked and fell backwards, staring up Jongin with fear.

 

No, no, no, not after everything. no.

 

“Kyungsoo,” Jongin muttered. “I’m not a bully.”

 

Kyungsoo froze, and his previously shaking hand limped to the ground. He stared up at Jongin with wide, teary eyes. Jongin sighed and dropped his head.

 

“I’m not a bully,” Jongin whispered, “I’m rash and impulsive, but I’m not a bully.”

 

A moment of silence filled the air, and slowly Kyungsoo moved forward. He wrapped his arms around Jongin’s neck, bringing him closer.

 

“Let’s go out,” he muttered, his voice raspy from the crying. Jongin immediately stood up, bringing Kyungsoo up with him and holding him steady.

 

“Go ahead,” Luhan said, and he pressed his foot down on the beaten up boy on the ground. “I’m going to take care of a few things.”

 

“Thanks Luhan,” Jongin said, and led Kyungsoo out the glass doors. Luhan watched as the door swung close and returned his hardened gaze to the boy.

 

“You’re a as well, aren’t you?” the boy accused as he attempted to sit up. Luhan’s eyes narrowed dangerously and he pressed down harder, making the boy flop back onto the floor.

 

“I hate bullies,” Luhan muttered, “but I hate homophobic, idiotic bullies even more.”

 

“It’s not like what I said was wrong,” the boy spat, breaking out into coughs as Luhan moved his foot up to above his chest.

 

“I don’t like violence - that’s Jongin’s role,” Luhan leaned down, finally removing his foot but continuing to pin him down with his arms. “But you made my friend cry, and my other friend bruise, so I’m pretty pissed off. You’re pretty beaten up though, and that makes me think you’re more pathetic than harmful. Next time you try to pull this stunt again, maybe you should think about whether or not you’re truly capable of pulling it off.”

 

Luhan finally stood up, allowing the boy to freely move again. He sighed and glanced at the remaining students huddled in the corner, most looking pissed off, while one was staring at him looking almost apologetic.

 

“There’s nothing wrong with being gay,” Luhan said, stuffing his hands in his pocket. “If who we love is a male, then that’s that. Love itself isn’t disgusting or repulsive, and you definitely don’t have the right to judge us for that. There is, however, a lot of things wrong with being an . That makes you,” Luhan pointed at the boy on the floor. “Much, much, worse than any of us.”

 

He gave the guy one last look before spinning around and walking out. He saw the cashier gaping at him, and stopped briefly to bow.

 

“Sorry for the mess my friend made. If you need to repair things, I’m sure they,” he gestured to the high school students, “are more than willing to compensate for the damage.”

 

Closing the door behind him, he got on the escalator and saw Sehun, Jongin, and Kyungsoo seated on a bench. Sehun was pacing around, face scrunched up into a tight frown, while Jongin was whispering something to Kyungsoo, who still looked sickly pale. Sighing, he slowly made his way to them.

 

Sehun’s head snapped up when he caught sight of him. Frown deepening, he ran over.

 

“What were you doing?” Sehun hissed. “Do you know how worried I was? Kyungsoo comes down sobbing, and Jongin has bruises all over his hands and face, and you’re just gone. What the , Luhan?!”

 

“Homophobic s,” Luhan explained, pointing quickly upstairs. “I was cleaning things up.”

 

“By yourself? You should’ve called me!”

 

“I’m fine. It’s not like I got into a physical fight.”

 

“They could’ve done anything to you!” Sehun snapped. “Jongin and Kyungsoo wouldn’t tell me where you were because they’re too caught up in their own world, and you wouldn’t pick up your phone!” He groaned in frustration. “Why didn’t you pick up your phone?!

 

“Uh, I was occupied? I’m sorry, Sehun,” Luhan scratched the back of his neck. “I mean, I heard what they said and kind of flipped. I rarely hear homophobic comments myself, and I had to deal with Kim Jongin’s aftermath, so I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to keep you worrying.”

 

“What did they say?” Sehun demanded. “Did they say something to you?”

 

“They called me a ,” Luhan shrugged. “It’s fine, really. Not a big deal.”

 

“They called you a what?!” Sehun seethed. “That’s it. Where are they? They didn’t do anything to you, did they?”

 

“Sehun, calm down. They’re just a pathetic lot, really. Not worth your time. Just call Baekhyun and tell him we found them, will you?”

 

“But-”

 

“Sehun, we need to take Kyungsoo back,” Luhan urged, stepping up and placing his hand on Sehun’s tensed up shoulder. “Call Baekhyun. I’ll go see if they’re fine.”

 

Sehun looked like he wanted to argue, but sighed and reluctantly took out his phone. Luhan smiled and walked over to where Kyungsoo and Jongin were seated.

 

“How is he?” He said quietly to Jongin as he kneeled on the ground. Jongin’s eyes flickered over to him before quickly returning to Kyungsoo’s curled up figure.

 

“He’s shaken up. Can we go back now? I want him to get some rest.”

 

“Baekhyun and the rest are all out looking for you two. Sehun’s calling Baekhyun now, so we can go back soon.”

 

“They were all looking for us?” Jongin said, looking baffled. “Why?”

 

Luhan rolled his eyes. “You would know why if you answered your damn phone. It was far past lunch time, but you guys didn’t return, so naturally everyone started freaking out about the possibility of Kyungsoo murdering you and running away.”

 

“He wouldn’t do that!” Jongin said indignantly. “Baekhyun overreacted.”

 

“We all overreacted,” Luhan deadpanned. He jumped when he felt a hand on his shoulder, and turned around to see Sehun looking down at him.

 

“Baekhyun wants me to tell you,” he said while glaring at Jongin, “that he’s going to rip you to shreds when he gets his hands on you.”

 

Luhan snickered when he saw Jongin gulp loudly. “You’re doomed.”

 

“Not today. I refuse to die,” Jongin muttered, and slowly turned to Kyungsoo. “Come on, Kyungsoo. Let’s go back to Baekhyun’s house.”

 

Kyungsoo lifted his head, met Jongin’s eyes, and stood up. He shot Luhan a grateful look and nodded to Sehun, who gave a small smile in return.

 

They all walked in silence, save for Jongin’s continuing pestering and Kyungsoo whispering quiet ‘I’m fine’s in return. Luhan glanced back in worry, and noticed the dark look on Sehun’s face.

 

“You’re going to kill someone with that look,” Luhan whispered. Sehun glared at him, and Luhan grimaced, taking a step away.

 

“Next time you meet a homophobic git,” Sehun reprimanded. “You’re going to ignore them, walk out, and get me. If you stay with them for more than thirty seconds, I swear I am going to scream and throw a fit. In public.”

 

“Maybe you should be worried for the actual victims,” Luhan argued, glancing at the two figures behind. “Instead of me, who didn’t even get hurt.”

 

“I am worried,” Sehun snapped. “I was worried sick for both of them. I do not need to add you on my worry list, alright?”

 

“I’m not fragile, Sehun. I don’t shatter under some hurtful words.”

 

“Doesn’t mean you need to hear them.”

 

“I’m not arguing with you about this,” Luhan huffed. Sehun huffed back in return and fastened his pace, leaving Luhan to stare at his back in amusement.

 

“He’s such a kid,” he muttered. Jongin sent him a weak smile as the three returned to the apartment.

 

“Kim Jongin!”

 

Jongin faltered in his steps as he was met with a high pitched scream. He stepped back in horror as Baekhyun came stomping forward, face contorted with fury.

 

“You. complete. good-for-nothing,” Baekhyun hit Jongin’s chest, “!” He seethed, eyes almost tearing up. “I thought you were dead!”

 

“Okay, that’s a tad bit over the top,” Jongin squeaked under Baekhyun’s glare.

 

“You wouldn’t answer your phone for hours! Kyungsoo wouldn’t either! You practically dragged him out for a meal! I-I thought he rejected you again and you were off wallowing in your sorrow and potentially doing harm to yourself and I was just sitting here helplessly, wondering where the hell you were. you,” Baekhyun punched Jongin’s chest once more, enough for it to hurt but not to leave damage. “I was worried, you git!”

 

“Today’s not a good day for my body,” Jongin groaned before he straightened up and pulled Baekhyun into a one-armed hug. “Sorry, Baek.”

 

“Git. . Idiot. Bastard. ,” Baekhyun struggled, hitting Jongin repeatedly. “I’m going to kill you today and that’s final.”

 

“You’re not killing anyone today, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol stepped forward with a grin and pulled Baekhyun back, pinning his struggling arms down. “I think Jongin gets your point. He won’t make you worry again.”

 

“I almost cried,” Baekhyun snapped at Jongin. “I never cry, and you know that.”

 

“I said I was sorry,” Jongin mumbled, returning his gaze to Kyungsoo, who remained still on the side. Chanyeol’s gaze was also fixed on his friend, and Jongin saw the boy’s expression stiffen.

 

“Kyungsoo, what’s wrong?” Chanyeol asked, releasing Baekhyun and taking a step forward. Kyungsoo mumbled something incoherent, and Jongin sighed in worry.

 

“We met some homophobic bullies. They were complete jerks with their words,” he explained, taking a step to the side to allow Chanyeol closer. Kyungsoo’s lips wavered, and he took one look at his best friend before walking forward and burying his head on Chanyeol’s chest.

 

“I was scared,” Kyungsoo whispered. Chanyeol stared at his best friend, still with shock, before slowly wrapping his arms around the shaking boy’s torso.

 

“I’m going to have a talk with him in your room, Luhan,” Chanyeol said, and when Luhan gave him a gentle smile, the two walked in and closed the bedroom door behind them.

 

“Is he alright?”

 

Baekhyun, who’s anger finally seemed to disappear, looked at the closed door in worry. Jongin walked to the living room, where Minseok and Jongdae were looking at him with confused expressions. Sehun was seated on a couch, eyes still glaring at Luhan.

 

“He started having a panic attack when those bullies started talking,” Jongin muttered, sitting down on one of the vacant seats. Baekhyun took his seat beside him, wrapping his arm around his best friend’s shoulder. Luhan shuffled to Sehun’s side, but the latter turned his head and made his point to ignore the older.

 

“What did they say?” Baekhyun urged. Jongin leaned back, dropping his head on the cushion. “. er. The usual. I was trying to keep my cool before they started insulting Kyungsoo. I snapped and the rest is history.”

 

“Bastards,” Jongdae muttered, and Minseok’s normally friendly expression darkened.

 

“I don’t get why he started freaking out so much though. He said something along the lines of “It’s too familiar.” Sure, we’ve all heard homophobic comments before. But Kyungsoo’s reaction seemed far too serious.”

 

“You should talk to him. It’s obviously something important.”

 

Jongin cocked an eyebrow and turned to face Baekhyun. “Do you know something about this?”

 

Baekhyun stared back at Jongin, almost looking angry. “It’s not my story to tell. It’s Kyungsoo’s. And you need to know, so go ask him.”

 

“I just got him to give me a chance. I’m not going to go probe him about his past.”

 

“You won’t get any further without knowing about his past,” Baekhyun scolded. “I’m not saying you should ask him about it now. Just do it soon. It’s for your own good, Jongin.”

 

“I want Kyungsoo’s good, not mine.

 

“You idiot!” Baekhyun seethed and thumped Jongin’s head. “Am I seriously the only one who cares for your wellbeing? Fine, it’s for both of your good. My god,” he massaged his temple.

 

“Chanyeol’s going to calm him down, Jongin,” Luhan said with a warm smile. “Don’t worry about Kyungsoo. He’ll be fine.”

 

“By the way,” Sehun spoke up, leaning forward. “Give me the exact descriptions of what those bastards looked like.”

 

“Stop it!” Luhan screeched. Sehun rolled his eyes and fixed his gaze on Jongin. “Come on.”

 

“Your protectiveness is as bad as mine,” Jongin said, cocking his eyebrow. Sehun flushed and spluttered, waving his hand around.

 

“I’m not being protective. I’m being just. And justice tells me that those who did wrong must receive punishment.”

 

 

 

“You sound like a psychopath. Stop it,” Luhan hissed. Sehun swat his hand and pushed the boy back.

 

“I gave them punishment,” Jongin replied with a smirk. Baekhyun let out a small gasp, and the whole room turned to stare as Baekhyun jumped up to point at Jongin’s scratched up hand.

 

“For the millionth time, you are a moron!” Baekhyun screamed and stomped away. A few seconds later, he returned with a large first aid box. He snatched Jongin’s hand, ignoring the boy’s cries of pain, and began applying ointment.

 

“Maybe you two should date,” Jongdae joked. Baekhyun and Jongin looked at him, expressions deadly.

 

“Maybe you should shut up and go throw yourself out the window,” they said in unison.

 

“Maybe you two should leave my boyfriend alone,” Minseok snapped.

 

“Woah, he’s using the boyfriend card. Everyone duck,” Luhan said, putting his hands up. Minseok shot him a quick glare, making Luhan immediately drop his hands and cower behind Sehun.

 

“You’re older than him, Luhan. Act like it.”

 

“Aaaaand he uses the age card,” Luhan stuck out his tongue. “I’m going to forever be young. Isn’t that right, Sehunnie?”

 

“Don’t talk to me,” Sehun snapped, standing up and stomping his way to the kitchen. Minseok and Jongdae stared at him, eyebrows furrowed.

 

“What’s wrong with him?” Jongdae asked, drawing circles with his finger around his head. “Has he finally lost it?”

 

“He’s more sane than you are,” Luhan shot, pushing past the couple to go join Sehun in the kitchen. Sehun was downing a cup of ice water, and Luhan grinned before jumping up and sitting on top of a counter.

 

“Give me a cup too, will you?”

 

Sehun glared at him as he slammed the cup down. “Get it yourself.”

 

“If it’s going to make you feel better,” Luhan said with a smile, “yes, I won’t be with a homophobic for more than thirty seconds. I’ll run straight away and find you.”

 

Sehun’s previously stony expression faltered. “You promise?”

 

“Mhmm,” Luhan nodded. “It’s not like I want to be with someone who hates me for my ual orientation. I promise I’ll avoid them like flies.”

 

Sehun looked at Luhan, as if to see if he was absolutely serious, before turning around to pour a cup of water. He walked over to Luhan and handed him the cup.

 

“I’ve met homophobic people before,” Sehun muttered as Luhan slowly drank. “I always thought they were stupid, but I was never filled with the urge to beat them up. It’s strange.”

 

“It means you grew up,” Luhan replied as he put down the cup. He pat Sehun’s cheeks, smiling brightly, and jumped down from the counter.


“Come on, Sehunnie. Let’s go make sure Baekhyun doesn’t strangle Jongin.”

 


Hunhan and kaisoo (and bits of baekyeol and xiuchen too, if you squint hard enough) :)

The next few chapters won't be focused on one particular couple. It's going to contain kaisoo, baekyeol, hunhan, and xiuchen, although I think? hunhan has the biggest parts. Kaisoo comes next, of course, with the healing shiz they need to go through. baekyeol is for the moment all good XD

For those reading this for purely hunhan, i hope you'll be pleased for your long waited couple moments.

my favorite chapter so far is coming soon (in 2 or 3 chapters, i think) so I'm very excited XD yay!

See you guys soon <3