Surprise!

Sapphire Chaos

Donghae’s POV

“OPPA OPPA OPPA!” I heard from outside the arrival doors when the guys and myself walked through the corridor. We’d arrive two days early but that didn’t hinder our fans from meeting us and wishing us a welcome home. As the doors opened and we stepped out, the crowd went crazy and from several location we could hear our names being shouted out. Walking down the path the guards had created for us, I could see the banners that wished me a happy birthday on beforehand. I smiled and waved to my fans, doing my best to show my appreciation. We got out to the cars and hopped inside.

“God, I’m so tired and ready to go home and just relax!” I said, stretching my arms up against the car’s front seat.

“Yep. We’re going home...” Siwon said. I could’ve bet money on that there was something he hid underneath that smile he gave me. I raised a brow and shrugged. Whatever it is, I’m glad to be home. We drove off and I decided to close my eyes for a moment due to weariness that the flight had caused. Because I had my eyes closed I didn’t see that we were all heading to another airport. And it wasn’t until Siwon told me to wake up that I noticed that we weren’t home at all.

“Come on Donghae, get out!” Shindong said and opened the door. In total confusion I got out of the car, followed by the other members who also jumped out.

“Um, what’s going on hyung?” I asked Leeteuk who stood the closest to me. He gave me a gleeful grin and then opened the back of the car and began to take out all our luggage. “Hyung what are you doing?”

“We’re having a little fun,” said Heechul who suddenly stood behind me and put a blindfold over my eyes. At first I panicked a little. “Yah! Donghae calm down!” Heechul chuckled and grabbed my arms. “You’ll love this,” he said, “Just follow me.”

“Depends on where you’re taking me...” I muttered. Heechul chuckled again and pushed me forward to make me walk. “Can someone please tell me what’s going on?! I don’t like surprises!” I complained. I could hear the footsteps from the other members and the luggage being dragged after them but I had no clue where we were going. When we’d walked for a while, Heechul stopped me and I could feel his hand digging in my bag.

“Don’t move.” He warned. I chose to follow his advice and stood still. “Keep your eyes closed.” He moved around me and then out of the blue led me forward again. It must’ve been at least five more minutes until we finally stopped and now I could feel wind in my hair. Heechul’s hands were steadily on placed on my shoulders still. “Okay. Good boy. Now, I’m going to remove the blindfold and you’re going to keep them eyes shut until we tell you to open them. Understood?” I nodded my head. What sort of game is this? I’m way too tired to play~ Just let me go home already! Heechul took away the blindfold and moved backwards.

“Guys?” I shouted when nothing was heard. Dear god what now? Did they leave me? “This isn’t funny!” I continued to shout.

“Open your eyes then and you might find it at least a little fun.” I instantly smiled upon hearing that voice. My eyes flew opened and saw Kayla standing on a staircase going upwards to a...

“A private jet?!” I yelled. The members burst out in laughter behind me and Kayla giggled cutely as well.

“Aw and I thought you’d be happy to see me,” Kayla teased and stuck out her tongue. “But yes! Happy birthday!” she exclaimed happily. My mouth gaped opened. Why on Earth was there a private jet in front of me and for what were we using it? Kayla skipped down from the staircase and stopped when she reached me. “Are you dumbfounded?” she asked and smiled widely. I nodded, still being in chock.

“Aha...” was all I could get out. Kayla laughed and jumped into my arms and hugged me tight.

“Let’s get inside so that we can take off!” she said, mostly to the members I figured. They all cheered and one by one got inside the huge jet. “Come, come,” Kayla said, taking my hand and leading me inside the jet. It was huge on the inside too and was very luxurious. There were twelve seats, six on each side in pairs that were big and comfy. I felt the fabric and recognised it as leather. The colour was beige which was the outline of everything in the whole jet. There were also small tables between each pair of seats and on top of those were bowls with fresh fruit. In pure amazement I failed to take everything in. Kayla soon understood that I’d faint in case I didn’t get to sit down, and pushed me down in one of the seats. She sat down in the seat across the small table. “How are you?” she wondered. I took a deep breath and drew my gaze to her. It wasn’t before now that I saw how amazing she actually looked. Her black hair lay freely down her shoulders, her makeup was perfectly applied in a natural way and she wore a black simple sleeveless top, a pair of stylish, slim grey harem pants, grey boots, a dark blue jeans vest and some accessories containing of a hat, necklace and bracelets. I realised that it was good that I’d looked at everything in the jet before I lay eyes on her because now there was no way I’d be able to take my eyes off of her.

“You look beautiful,” I breathed and smiled at her. Under the carefully applied foundation I could see that she blushed and that made me smile even larger.

“Thanks,” she mumbled. “Oh, here’s our pilot!” I turned around to see a man standing beside my chair.

“Good day Mr. Lee. And happy birthday,” the pilot said and bowed.

“Good day and thank you,” I replied.

“I’m your pilot for today, Sam Woo-Hee. I hope you enjoy your flight and if there’s anything you need, just ask one of our flight attendance or Miss Thompson.” He bowed then left. I turned my head back to Kayla who was buckling her seatbelt. I did the same and not long after the door was shut and I could feel the plane speed up. Only a few minutes later we were flying high in the sky but I still had no idea what was going on.

“Um, Kayla princess,” I called. She got up from her chair and walked over to me, unbuckled my belt and sat down in my lap.

“Yes my prince?” she asked, wrapping her arms tightly around my neck.

“First of all, you didn’t give me a kiss,” I stated, immediately pecking her lips. “Second of all, I missed you. And thirdly, mind telling me what’s going on here?” Kayla grinned and stole another kiss.

“Well, this is your birthday present from me and the members and we’ve kidnapped you to go on a vacation to Wando island!” My eyes widened.

“Wando island? For real?” Kayla nodded excitedly. “Aw! Thank you my princess!” I exclaimed, hugging her tight.

“You don’t seem too mad about this type of celebration of your birthday.” I grinned towards Eunhyuk who stuck out his tongue at me. Kayla giggled and got up from my lap, beginning to go back to her seat.

“Kayla,” I said before she’d gone any further out of my reach. She turned around with a wondering expression. “I love you.” Kayla’s cheeks turned a bright pink, making me chuckle. How could she still be shy around me? I grabbed her wrist and pulled her down. Her lips was seriously the best thing I’d ever tasted, no wonder I couldn’t get enough of them. Kayla answered my kiss and slowly began sitting down again, this time by straddling me. As we wrapped our arms around each other, the kiss deepened.

“Goodness, can’t you two find a room for yourselves? There was others here too.” To my surprise, it wasn’t one of the usual people that complained. It had been Siwon. He, who normally, didn’t bother when Kayla and I were kissing.

“We’ll have our own room when we get to the island,” Kayla said while getting up from my lap. “Or wait, I just remembered. We’ll have our own house even!” She walked back to her seat and sat down. My mouth gaped wide open. I watched Kayla casually picking up her book and headphones. She put in the headphones in her ears and open her book to read as though nothing had happened at all. But to me, something for sure had happened! I glanced towards the only three that could’ve noticed the small change in my beloved’s tone when she’d said those last few words and to my relief; Kyuhyun, Eunhyuk and Heechul were all gaping like me. When Kayla seemed deep enough in her book, I got up. I didn’t even bother reacting to the fact that she listened to SHINee. I made my way to Heechul, Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk. Heechul sat beside Kyuhyun who sat at opposite to Eunhyuk. Each of them had perfect view over mine and Kayla’s seats. I sat down on the floor between Heechul and Kyuhyun’s seats.

“You guys heard-?” All three nodded. I bit my lips. “Any thoughts?”

“No idea,” Eunhyuk said. Kyuhyun shook his head in agreement. I waited for Heechul to give me some information. He was holding his chin, something he did whenever he was in deep thought.

“I can’t think of anything,” he concluded. I frowned. “Although,” Heechul said, we all gazed in his direction. “It might be wise to not speculate too much. Considering what happened last time you three assumed things I mean.” He gave us meaning looks. I nodded and stood up.

“That’s true.” Heechul crossed his arms while Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk lowered their heads in slight shame, they still had a little guilt in their bodies after that evening. “I’ll just have to wait and see then I guess,” I said. “But that tone... She has never sounded that...”

“y? Seductive?” I hit Kyuhyun’s head, not even having to look at him. “Ow! That was what you meant! Why did you hit me for it?” Kyuhyun hit my arm. I was too stuck in my own thoughts to notice the light punch he gave me. I tilted my head to the side, narrowing my eyes a tiny bit. Why did you use that tone my love? Can’t you tell me what you’re thinking about huh? And that glimpse in your eye.

“Alright, I’m not getting anywhere by thinking,” I reasoned with myself out loud.

“That’s why acting instead of thinking is better.”

“If I’d followed that advice just the last ten times I’ve ended up in a situation where I could need it, then there’s no way in hell that Kayla still would’ve been my girlfriend.” I glared at Eunhyuk before I went back to my seat. I slumped down in my chair and buckled my seatbelt again. I rested my head comfortably against the pillow, observing Kayla. Even when she’s reading she’s beautiful, I thought. My lips curved up into a smile.

“Hey, Donghae.” Leeteuk interrupted my thoughts.

“Yes hyung?”

“You have a letter,” Leeteuk said, handing over the letter. “From Mokpo,” he added. I raised a brow. “Kayla accidently handed me both yours and mine,” Leeteuk explained to my questioning look.

“Oh,” was all I said. I glanced at the neat writing which had my mother’s signature in it. I opened the envelope and folded out the letter itself. It was quite short. I could almost instantly feel the tears burning behind my eyelids. Preparing myself for ‘the worst’, I started reading.

My dear son Donghae,

I know this letter might not come on the day of your birthday, but I wanted it to make it preferably before rather than after your 25th birthday. It’s gone so fast. Time that is. But not fast enough because it doesn’t go a day without my thoughts being drawn to you. I wish I could be with you right now. However, I heard about the surprise that the members and Kayla had prepared for you. Does it make you happy? You have so many that care for you, I don’t understand why I worry about you. I keep telling myself that you’re a man now, that you don’t need me there to tell you to keep everything tidy and in their places. Although, I’ve never had to tell you that, have I? You were always good on your own even when you didn’t believe so yourself. I cannot possibly describe how proud of you I am. I know I say it in every letter I write to you and I tell you when you call me but... A mother’s love for her son can never be repeated enough times. Neither can a father’s love be repeated enough times. We both wished the best for you. You know that right?

One day, I want you to come back to Mokpo to greet your old mother. Bring Kayla with you. I wish nothing more than to meet her. You’ve told me so much about her and I’ve seen the pictures. I just want to see her with my own eyes. Don’t worry, I thinking she’s perfect for you.

It doesn’t feel like it was so many years ago that you went out our door to discover the world, my son. I still do not believe how far you’ve gotten. Anyway, I’m going to stop this blabbering now. You must have much more important things to do. Remember, don’t isolate yourself. Take help from others, let them into your heart. You’ll grow through those around you. That’s what your father always used to say. I hope you remember it.

Happy Birthday my dear son, Donghae! I know every single one of your wishes will come true, if only you believe they will and you are willing to fight for them.

I love you so, so much.
Your mother

I folded the letter again, put it back into the envelope and held it in my hands, staring at it. So far, I’d managed to keep the tears in. I closed my eyes, hard. I saw our little house, my childhood where I grew up. The sea outside my window, my old room hadn’t changed one bit since I’d left it. I smelled the familiar scent of my favourite dish cooking on the stove. Everything was exactly like I remembered it. I was standing on the porch, gazing out over our garden. My father’s grave was filled with flowers since it was spring and the wind blew in my hair. I inhaled the scent of Mokpo. This is why I hate birthdays... I bent forward and covered my face in my hands, having my forehead resting on my knees. The fabric on my jeans were becoming wet already. I didn’t make a sound as I cried. I never did. I felt the letter being taken out of my hand. Probably for the best because otherwise I would’ve ruined it in my tight grip. The letter had been replaced by a hand.  Her other hand my back. When I’d cried for a while, I dried my tears and sat up. Kayla was kneeling in front of me, her eyes filled with hurt. I knew it was because she hated to see me cry, but she probably also knew I needed it. Kayla bit her lips and opened .

“You don’t have to say anything,” I whispered. She closed again. “It’s just...” My voice cracked so I decided to stop talking.

“You don’t have to explain. I know you miss it. I miss Oxford. I miss my family. Don’t feel ashamed because you miss them Hae. That’s all I’m asking.” She stood up and kissed my cheek then returned to her seat again. I stared out the window for the rest of the flight, it felt like the best thing to do. When we landed, all twelve of us thanked the pilot and the rest of the crew for safely flying us there and then went out from the plane. I stepped on the ground first. The view was mind-blowing already. For miles and miles there trees, nature and behind that I could see the ocean. I started walking towards the small airport’s entrance. The rest followed me. We got taxis and headed to the hotel. It took my breath away, seeing the hotel lie just in front the foot of the mountain with the ocean as view. All I could see was an never-ending beach with white sand and the waves that were washing up on it. The hotel manager showed us to our small houses that lay in front of the hotel, on the beach. In the houses had each two beds and Kayla immediately grabbed my hand, dragging me to the house furthest away. There was a pool not too far from our house as well, not that we’d use it since it was October. I barely had time to take it all in before the sight changed from trees, sand and water to a cosy-looking little cottage. It had wooden floors, high ceilings and three small rooms. A small living room with a couch and a few paintings (no TV), a bedroom with one bed only and then a quite large bathroom. No kitchen of course, since you ate all the meals in the hotel restaurant. The slightly earthy, dim lights brought me comfort, a sense of security and immediate relaxation. “Do you like it?” Kayla nervously asked, eyeing me from the side.

“It’s perfect,” I replied. “It’s all I need.” Kayla took a step forward to stand next to me. “Are we going to meet the others for dinner?” I asked.

“Yeah, that’s the plan. And we’re going to have a mini celebration of your birthday today.” I looked at her curiously.

“Aha?” She nodded and took my bag, opened it and threw me a shirt.

“You’ll see tomorrow. Now get dressed,” she responded.


Okay my dear readers! That was the last chapter before I head off to London tomorrow morning!!! I CANNOT SIMPLY BELIEVE I'M GOING TO SEE SUPER JUNIOR!!! OMG!!! Anyway, I hope this chapter gets you curious about what's going to happen in the upcoming chapters! ^^ No one has actually made the correct guess yet, but I'm thinking it might become clearer soon! I changed the idea actually and originally they weren't supposed to go out of the country... However I felt like that fit! What do you guys think? Leave your comments and tell me! :D See you again on Sunday! Or maybe Monday... I'm probably going to be tired when I get home xD Either way, I LOVE YOU! TAKE CARE! AND PLEASE STAY WITH ME UNTIL THE END OKAY?! :D <333