It's you and me

Sapphire Chaos

A few weeks after Kayla had told Donghae about the role in the movie, he still felt a bit anxious about it. That certainly didn’t surprise any of the members and definitely not Kayla. Every night when Kayla returned home from the classes she had at Starhaus Entertainment, Donghae would ask what she’d done there and if she had fun. “It was all right,” Kayla normally answered, mainly because she didn’t want any trouble. Although they spent a lot of time together still, Kayla and Donghae hadn’t really had a day for themselves in a while. Kayla was often tired when she got home, since she spent all her days doing schoolwork and then around six went to Starhaus to have her theatre class at 18:30 and she got home around eleven again. Of course, Donghae had his normal busy schedule that caused him to return tired as well at around eleven too, so they didn’t even talk that much anymore. By the time that Christmas carols were heard on the streets, Donghae felt that he needed at least one day to spend with Kayla. He didn’t even know if they were going to be able to spend Christmas together as SM had planned a celebration party over the Christmas weekend. That often meant at least one concert in their mind...

“Kayla?” Donghae called around the dorms. He heard a faint ‘mm’ and headed to the kitchen where Kayla sat by the computer, studying as usual. “Hey, how’s it going?” Donghae asked, sitting down next to her.

“Good... I have to complete this essay and then I should be free for the day,” Kayla replied. Donghae smiled upon hearing this great news.

“Okay, what do you say about going out afterwards? Buy hot chocolate and just walk around the city, see all the pretty decorations,” Donghae suggested.

“Oh, I’d love to! I could really need a break.” Kayla sighed.

“Great. Tell me when you’re done,” Donghae said. He kissed her hair and went to his room. No one else but he and Kayla were home so there wasn’t much noise in the dorms, making it a perfect time for some dreamy composition! Donghae sat down by the piano and began playing a simple, harmonic melody. He wrote down the different chords and played again. This went on until the door opened, about two hours later.

“Hae? I’m done now...” Kayla said. Donghae stopped playing and looked up at her.

“What do you think?”

“About the song? It’s beautiful. I like it.” Donghae smiled and got up.

“Me too. Let’s go now,” he said and wrapped an arm around her waist. They got dressed and went out on the street that was lit up by Christmas lights everywhere. Hand-in-hand, Donghae and Kayla walked down to the centre of Seoul. There were a lot of people, probably doing their ordinary Christmas shopping. “I like Christmas, there’s always so much lights and life around this time a year,” Donghae said, looking around at the different sets of reindeer that hung all around them.

“I like it too... Can we buy some caramel apples?” Kayla asked. Donghae looked at her.

“If you ask me nicely,” he replied with a wink. Kayla giggled and kissed his cheek sweetly. “Hm, okay, I’ll buy you one.” Donghae dragged her to a woman who sold caramelised apples. “One please,” Donghae ordered. The woman nodded and gave him a warm, delicious apple. Donghae gave it to Kayla and paid her.

“Are you a couple?” the woman asked. Donghae smiled widely while nodding his head enthusiastically, they didn’t get the question that often. “You’re really cute together. Cherish and treasure each other,” the woman said.

“We will,” Donghae answered, bowing. Kayla bowed too and smiled at the woman. “I’m happy she noticed our love for one another,” Donghae happily commentated as they continued their walk around town.

“Mm, I’m too. I would shout how much I love you but there should be at least five fans here somewhere...” Kayla turned her head. Donghae chuckled and kissed her cheek.

“You’re so cute you’re going to kill me one day.” Kayla’s expression changed to worried, meaning her eyes got wide and formed like a puppy’s. “Naw, I was joking sweetie! You won’t kill me from being cute.”

“Oki, good.”

“You’ll kill me if you’re you in general!” Donghae exclaimed and laughed. Kayla hit his arm, pouting.

“You’re not funny,” she whined cutely.

“Sorry, princess.” Donghae kissed her cheek again. They walked to another stall to buy Donghae’s promised hot chocolate and then they headed to one of the small arranged warm couches that were placed by the river. They wrapped up in blankets and ted on their chocolate. “Good?”

“Mm, very good.” Kayla rested her head on Donghae’s shoulder and gazed out over the river, which also had been decorated with Christmas lights. “By the way... What are you going to do for Christmas? Are you working?” Kayla tilted her head up to see Donghae’s face better. He suddenly looked a little down.

“Mm... We’re working all weekend... Have you decided what you want to do? I’m not sure I’ll be able to spend that much time with you sadly...” Donghae mumbled in response. Kayla sat up, hugging his arm comfortingly.

“I was just coming to that... My mother wondered if I could come celebrate Christmas in England. Since I’m working on the movie the first half of next year and I haven’t been home all year. Would that be all right?”

“Of course. How long will you be gone then?” Donghae asked.

“I think I’ll be home sometime after new year again. And I would leave in maybe two weeks or so. That would give me about three-four weeks at home.” Donghae nodded and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, hugging her to him.

“I’ll miss you but I guess you need some time away from me and the members, don’t you princess?” He grinned at her. She rolled her eyes at him.

“You’re not funny. And I’ll miss you too.” He gave her a little squeeze and kissed her cheek. Just then, Kayla’s phone began ringing. “Oh,” she said and picked it up. Her face lit up upon seeing who the caller was. “Mum!” she exclaimed happily. Donghae let her go and smiled widely too, he also loved talking to Kayla’s mother even though they didn’t speak the same language and hadn’t even met. He knew that Kayla’s mother and father had been against him and Kayla dating in the past but that they had changed after Donghae Skyped with them and in his best English tried telling them how much he loved Kayla and that he saw it as his job to constantly protect her as well as see to her best, and her best alone. Kayla talked in quick English which was hard enough for Donghae to understand. Add the Oxford accent and he didn’t even catch the simplest words. He sat quietly while Kayla conversed with her mother about what he assumed was her trip to England. Now and then he could see Kayla’s smile broaden and her eyes were getting filled with tears, probably happy ones. Donghae gently a tear away as it fell. It didn’t matter what kind of tears Kayla cried, Donghae still stuck to the opinion that she always should smile without tears. He felt her grab his hand and held it to her cheek, giving him a grateful smile. “Mm, he’s here. Yeah, right next to me... Aha. Want to talk to him? Okay, hold on.” Kayla took down the phone and put on the speaker. “Can you hear us?” she asked.

“Yes! Hello, Donghae!” Kayla’s mother greeted cheerfully.

“Hi, Mrs Thompson! How are you?” Donghae asked.

“I’m very well, thank you. How’s it with you? Are you taking care of my daughter?”

“I’m good... Um...” Donghae stopped and thought about what to say. “I’m try my best to... care about your daughter, Mrs Thompson,” he answered. Kayla giggled and nodded.

“He really is,” she confirmed.

“Excellent. I love how polite he is. But I’ve understood that it’s in their culture to be respectful, isn’t it?”

“It is, Mrs Thompson,” Donghae said. “It is culture.”

Kayla’s mother chuckled. “I have to get used to being called Mrs Thompson I believe. Donghae, Kayla told me you can’t come with her. It’s a shame because I would very much like to meet you. You’ll have to come here to England sometime soon, all right?”

“I will, Mrs Thompson.”

“I’ll bring him next time, mum. I won’t let him escape then, promise.” Kayla winked at Donghae who grinned at her. Mouthing ‘Ha ha ha’ at her.

“Great. But will you be coming in a couple of weeks then?”

“Yes. I’ll e-mail you about the date and all that as soon as I’ve booked the flight. It shouldn’t be too expensive if I book this early, right?”

“No, it shouldn’t. Very well. I’ll see you soon, dear. And Donghae, take care of yourself and of Kayla. You’ll have to protect her when I cannot, all right?”

“All right, Mrs Thompson,” Donghae replied. “I’ll protect her with all my heart,” he added in Korean. Kayla blushed and hit his arm.

“He said he’ll protect me with all his heart. He’s a cheese-ball...”

“Just like you’re father. I like that. He’s definitely a keeper! But now I really do have to go, my darlings. Goodbye and say hi to all the members from us. Love you both!”

“We will. Love you too,” Kayla and Donghae both said in unison before Kayla hung up. She lay her phone in her pocket and then looked up at Donghae, smiling blissfully. “What do we do next, my prince?” she asked. Donghae tilted his head upwards, thinking about their options.

“We could either... go home and see a movie or go to the movies and see a movie. Or we could do something else that you want to do. Though I’m freezing...” He pouted while rubbing his hands together.

“Aw, is my prince cold? Hm. In that case I decide that we will go home, make two hot chocolates and then watch Harry Potter!” Kayla exclaimed. Donghae was up on his feet within two seconds after hearing the title of the movie they’d see.

“Let’s go!” He grabbed her hand and pulled her with him. Kayla laughed, her prince was so strange and wonderfully adorable at the same time. She took a hold of his arm to keep up with his steps as they headed home again. They hung up their clothes in the hallway and both of them went to different parts of the dorm to implement each of their tasks. Donghae’s task was picking out the movie, make the couch comfortable, set the lights and arrange the perfect mood in general. Meanwhile, Kayla made the best hot chocolates with marshmallows, cinnamon, cardamom and whipped cream. These were served with a biscuit from a little store called Eunhyuk’s shelf. There were few sweet things that Donghae really liked to eat – or drink – Kayla’s hot chocolate was one of those few things. And both Donghae and Kayla thought that you always could drink more than one hot chocolate in a day.

“Are you ready?” Kayla wondered as she walked inside the nicely fixed living room. She put down the cups on the table and slumped down next to Donghae on the couch, pulling up her legs and leaned on his chest since he liked leaning on the arm rest. She gave him a cup and had her own in her lap. Donghae placed his right arm around her waist after hitting play on the remote. “Which one?”

“The last one. Our favourite!” Donghae beamed. Kayla chuckled and shook her head amusedly. As Harry Potter fought against the Death Eaters in the last battle of Hogwarts, Kayla finished her hot chocolate and placed it next to Donghae’s cup. Then she turned around and lay her head in the crook of his neck, on the right side. She could hear his clear heartbeat, making her feel calm and peaceful inside. Donghae rested his head on hers, wrapping his arms around her waist again. “Are you thinking about something, princess?” Donghae wondered. Kayla hummed.

“I’m thinking about when the members are going to burst through the door. They always manage to come inappropriately,” Kayla mumbled, forming a frown on her forehead. Donghae lightly chuckled.

“They haven’t come yet.” He peeked down. “Yah, don’t frown. You’ll get wrinkles!”

Kayla met his eyes. “Can I sleep for a while?” Donghae nodded and began her hair in a soothing manner. Kayla closed her eyes just when Harry Potter killed the Dark Lord and he disappeared in small flakes of ash. She heard the last lines the character uttered and the music to the credits begin before Donghae shut it off. He slid down on the couch until he lay flat with his head on the pillow and Kayla sleeping on top of him. Kayla’s slow breathing and her cute sounds that came out of , made Donghae smile from the inside out. He truly enjoyed these moments too, and maybe more than many else, even if each moment with Kayla for him was precious. But the relaxing moments such as this one were rare, which was why he valued them so high. Donghae closed his eyes too in time, feeling the fatigue that built up more as the stressful days at work increased. Around Christmas time especially. Hm, I wonder what I should get her for Christmas... Donghae thought. He’d have to ask someone among the members about that. He couldn’t possibly decide that by himself anyway, it was much too difficult. Donghae was a rather vivid person and also very absent-minded. In a matter of minutes, his mind could travel basically anywhere it wanted. Everything from Christmas gifts to dramas he wanted to watch to his family back in Mokpo to the last time he’d been in China with SJ-M crossed his mind all at once. This afternoon wasn’t different. Donghae thought about everything he felt like he needed to pay attention to. He went through his schedule several times, the speeches he needed to remember, which songs he needed to practise, which dances that could be perfected according to him.

He even thought about New Year resolutions he’d make. He had planned a few that he usually promised himself, but this year he had Kayla too which added maybe one or two promises. “Hm, I need to write them down...” He made a note in his mind. “Otherwise I’ll forget them... That wouldn’t be good. How am I supposed to keep them if I can’t remember them?”

“Donghae... What are you talking about?” Donghae looked down. He had been so concentrated on his thoughts that he hadn’t noticed how Kayla long ago woke up and moved around in his embrace.

“Oh... My New Year resolutions. I’ve planned some but I have to promise you a few things too so I’m not sure I’ll be able to keep them all in my head,” Donghae replied. Kayla tired sat up, shaking her head and rubbing her eyes.

“Mm... You don’t need to promise me anything,” she tiredly mumbled.

“On the contrary. I must.” Donghae fixed her hair from the fluffy mess it had become. “Did you sleep well?” he instead wondered.

“Yep. What time is it? Isn’t it time to make dinner?” Kayla looked at the clock on the DVD player. It was indeed time for dinner. She stood up, ready to go to the kitchen when Donghae pulled her down again.

“Wait~ I demand a kiss first,” he explained, removing the question mark on Kayla’s face. She bent down and gave him a kiss like he’d asked. It didn’t last too long but was enough to satisfy Donghae, so he let her go. As he watched her drag herself to the kitchen – she was still newly awakened – he secretly smiled because he had figured out exactly what he’d promise her. A year full of happiness, laughs and a tremendous amount of love.


Hi everyone! A slightly shorter chapter than usual but I really wanted to give you something sweet and with just Donghae and Kayla enjoying each other's company before the drama breaks out. It'll be one chapter that explains what they do during Christmas and then one during New Year's Eve and after that the drama will increase little by little until it breaks out completely!!! Haha, hope you're ready! I'm not sure I am...

Anyhow, hope you all had a better start than I had on the New Year and that your school is going well already. See you soon! Love you all<3