"To be or not to be?"

Sapphire Chaos

Author’s POV

“Are you sure you’ll be alright then princess? You’re not bored, are you?” Donghae tilted his head to the side, seeming very worried. Kayla nodded her head.

“I’m fine. Now go. The members are waiting in the cars.” She kissed him goodbye again then forced him out. “Love you.” She closed the door, waving and smiling. He didn’t look too happy but Kayla had other things to attend to. She walked out to the kitchen where she had hid a piece of paper. She took it out from the drawer, feeling excited upon seeing it. “Audition for a drama... Hm, I wonder if there’s a chance I’ll get the part.” Kayla skipped to their bedroom and got dressed appropriately, wearing a pair of black jeans, a dark green button-up shirt and boots. She grabbed a fitting bag, sunglasses, a hat and then went out the door. She took a cab to get to the venue without catching people’s attention, after all the thing with Donghae hadn’t fully calmed down yet.

“Here we are.” The taxi driver pulled over by a big theatre where the auditions were held.

“Thank you,” Kayla said and paid before stepping out of the car. She walked inside the theatre, confidently. She’d been bored for far too many days to not be eager about this. Arriving to the entry hall, Kayla gazed at what was her surroundings. There were a lot of people there already, all women since the audition was for a supporting female role. Most of those she saw were around her age or possibly older, all wanting the same thing as herself. As she straddled around the room, she noticed the table where one signed up and went over there.

“Next one. Hello,” the organiser greeted her. “Name?”

“Kayla Thompson,” she replied. The woman lifted her head, her wide eyes were staring at her. Kayla smiled. “Is there any problem?” she wondered. The woman shook her head and scribbled down her name on a paper, followed by a number which she handed to Kayla.

“There you go...” she said.

“Thanks!” Kayla turned around, freezing on the spot. Everybody in the whole room had their eyes fixed on her, clearly they knew who she was. She sidestepped, heading to stand in a corner. Haven’t people learnt that they shouldn’t stare? Kayla concentrated on reading the paper she’d gotten instead of letting herself become distracted by the stares. On the paper there were instructions on how the audition would be executed. They would each be asked to produce a random emotion that was decided on the spot, a short dialogue from the drama and lastly they’d be asked some questions.

“Ahem, excuse me?” Kayla and her competitors looked up. A man had opened the door, leading to the real theatre. Hm, he must be someone important... The man cleared his throat twice. Or maybe not... “May all the contesters please follow me. You can sit down wherever you want inside the theatre but we do prefer that you sit down in order.” The man was severely shaking from top to bottom, Kayla saw that now. Poor fella. All the women, including herself, followed the man who showed them inside. Each of them sat down according to order, meaning Kayla’s seat was at the end of the row, the highest up. She didn’t really have a problem with that as all those women surely were curious about her. There was a table with three chairs, up on a platform. Mumbling could be heard all around Kayla but that soon ceased as three men walked out from behind the curtains. Now that’s the important ones... Kayla smiled confidently, this was going to be lots of fun.

The three men introduced themselves, being the director, the PD and the casting director. After their introduction, the same man from before went through the program once. And after that, when Kayla was becoming impatient, the casting commenced. One by one the women went down to the stage to show off their skills. Some were better than others, some were just bad and buckled under pressure. The casting director sometimes even yelled ‘Next!’ to make them realise that they’d been cut. Though some had been cut, they still sat back down on their seats again. Kayla frowned, they couldn’t be staying just to see her right?

“Next one! Kayla Thompson!” the casting director shouted. Kayla stood up and while having all eyes on her, stepped up onto the stage. She stood in the middle of it, meeting the eyes on the PD. He narrowed his eyes.

“Good afternoon,” he greeted her. Kayla bowed a 90 degree bow.

“Good afternoon.” The PD nodded to the casting director who skimmed through his papers then looked up at her again, scanning her.

“We’re starting with the emotion then. You’ll get this telephone, like the rest, which will have a taped voicemail, onto which you’ll react. We don’t know the voicemail, or what its saying, so you have to portray the correct emotion in order for us to understand. Here’s your telephone,” he said, gesturing towards the man who handed her the phone. “You may begin.” Kayla nodded. Without further due, she placed the phone against her ear.

“Hello?”

“Yah, JooHee, it’s me! Nara.” The voice belonged to female. Kayla assumed that they were friends and that she had something to tell her.

“Hi.” She replied short in case the voice would start talking again, she couldn’t miss any details. She put on a smile on her face, showing to the judges that she knew the voice.

“Listen, I’ve got something to tell you and you can’t get mad.” The voice sighed. Kayla reacted to the sigh by frowning, as everything wasn’t right. “Your boyfriend cheated on you.” She got wide eyes. Fast to project the emotions, Kayla whispered:

“Please tell me you’re lying.”

“I saw him with that girl Sonji, in the corridor. They were kissing.” This is perfect, Kayla thought while falling down to her knees, her eyes flying everywhere they could. She had almost been cheated on once before and knew how much it hurt to be betrayed, also for some reason the image of Donghae with another girl popped up in her head, soon her tears were forming and falling by themselves. “I’m sorry.” The call ended. Kayla brought it down, along her body to place the phone next to her on the floor. With her free and she reached up to cover . She stayed like that, not feeling the need to scream or shout. The chock, sadness and betrayal spoke through her facial expression, not through her words. The others had yelled, screamed but never shown vulnerability. A small sob escaped and then the director interrupted.

“Cut. Good job.” She wiped her tears and stood up, she wanted to show that she was sincere and that she didn’t take long or ‘needed a minute’ to recompose. She was professional. The PD, director and the casting director wrote down a few words before looking back up. “Now we’ll ask you to project another emotion. And we want you to imagine that you’re talking to your boyfriend. And you’re angry but you won’t show to him that you’re weak by crying. Action.” Kayla closed her eyes, pictured no other than her own boyfriend in front of her, then opened her eyes again.

“How could you do that to me, huh?!” She was hissing. “Well? Tell me. How much better is she than me? Does she kiss you better? Does she want to you every night?!” The mumbles amongst the ones watching was loud, but not loud enough to put Kayla out of her character. She had a perfect, clear idea that she wanted to go through. “Your words really meant nothing. And here I was, thinking that you loved me well enough to wait! Yet you go to her because she’s an easy that never would turn you down!” She clenched her fists and took a deep breath, cocking her head to the side. “I won’t say I hate you. Because my love for you hasn’t left me. But trust me, it will. And when it does, I will destroy you! I will break you apart from the ground! Tear your body in two! Mock you, laugh at you, even cry for how miserable you’ve become!!!” she screamed now, tears forming in her eyes. She didn’t want to push it, rather hold back a little. “I will never cry over you, never. Frankly, I knew from the start that this would happen. I’m not good enough for you. I’ve known that. I just... refused to believe that you’d show it to me like this. That will be the reason why I despise you, because you’re nothing more than a coward!” She turned her back to the audience and took a few steps.

“Cut. Thank you.” The casting director spoke this time. She faced them again and smiled. I hope I did good... “Now we’ll go through some of the di-”

“I don’t believe that’ll be necessary. Thank you, miss Thompson. You can sit back down.” The director smiled. Kayla bowed and returned to her seat, feeling quite happy with herself. The three men spoke amongst each other then decided that they’d think about who they wanted to cast for the role. Kayla and the others walked out. The director said they would receive a letter that said whether or not they’d gotten the part.

“Great job.” Kayla looked up to see a woman her age stand in front of her.

“Thanks,” she replied. The woman smiled. Strange, she wasn’t one of the contestants...

“You’ve got very good acting skills. Kayla is your name right?” the woman said. Kayla nodded. “My name is Kim Hwang-Mi,” she said, holding out a card, Kayla took it. “I’m the casting director to a movie that’s being planned right now.”

“Aha? Sounds interesting.” Kayla smiled.

“Join me over coffee and I’ll tell you more about it.” Hwang-Mi offered. Kayla agreed. This was a chance she couldn’t miss. They went to a café, bought a coffee each then sat down by a table. “So, Kayla. The movie, called ‘Dreaming Of Seoul’ is about a girl who comes from a foreign country and she moves to Seoul both to start a new life because her old life was filled with problems of every kind, she feels the need to move on. She goes to South Korea to study and meets new friends that teaches her the way to live happily.” Hwang-Mi started while Kayla opened her ears extra much to hear every detail. “Originally we were going to pick someone that looks as if they could be from for example China or Japan but I think you would be even better! And to top it off your Korean is flawless.” Kayla’s jaw dropped. Me? Wow, for once being foreign is to my advantage!

“Wow... I don’t even know what to say... You really think I could pull that off?” she asked hesitantly. Hwang-Mi nodded enthusiastically.

“Yes, I do. Of course, we’ll give you some training in case you need it. So what do you say?”

“Um...” Although both intrigued and flattered Kayla did feel the need to consult with her boyfriend first. “Could I get some time to think about it?” she asked.

“Yes, of course. We can do like this; when you get the letter if you’ve been accepted to the drama or not you call me. Even if you got accepted. Because if you do then I would recommend that you choose that offer instead.” Kayla frowned. Crap, is there a hook or something?

“Why’s that?”

“Oh, I can tell you more about that if you want to be a part of our project or not. Nothing big, so you won’t have to worry.” Her smile was so bright it almost scared Kayla.

“Alright,” she simple replied.

“Great. I have to leave. Here’s my card, call me and we’ll see what we decide. I hope you get accepted for the drama though. You’d be perfect for the role. Goodbye.” She waved and left. Kayla stayed in the café, just thinking through everything that’d happened then she too left to go home.

“Hm, weird day so far. Although fun too and why am I talking to myself?” she said, laughing at herself. Since she had the whole dorms to herself, Kayla began using it. The boys weren’t going to come in until maybe three in the morning so Kayla did all the things she’d longed for to do as a girl, like not wearing a bra. She took a shower without locking the door, stole the members’ cookies, searched through Donghae’s clothes for something she could wear and then wore it and lastly she put on music on the highest volume possible, dancing and singing along ridiculously loud. The band that was playing belonged on her top five list and was secretly placed after Super Junior, secretly because Donghae would be jealous if he knew she had other favourites. Kayla loved SHINee. And above all the cute, handsome and smoking hot Taemin, whom conveniently enough was the same age as her. Oh no, Kayla would never under any circumstances break up with Donghae, however, she wouldn’t say no to hugging, hang out with or have Taemin as her friend. She knew all of his parts in every song they’d ever released. Donghae, who’d introduced them to her, had quickly came to terms with that he could come to regret showing SHINee to Kayla very much. For almost two hours, while cooking, SHINee was blasted in the living room.

“AMIGO!” It screamed out through the speakers. And in the kitchen, wearing Donghae’s sweatpants, one of his much-too-big-for-her-but-not-big-so-it-doesn’t-look-good shirts and a pair of her own EunHae socks, Kayla danced around in circles, swinging her hair left, right up and down to the music. When the food was done she packed it into boxes for each member to eat later, before she walked inside the living room with her own food. Slumping down on the couch, Kayla pressed the power button on the remote. Why only listen to SHINee when you also could drool over their cuteness on a screen? SHINee’s Hello Baby was the perfect program to watch. Taemin’s cuteness overloaded Kayla, she was crying of laughter, screaming and made one cute noise after another. Donghae would not like this at all, she cooed inside her head.

After dinner, (and three episodes of Hello Baby) Kayla brought out all snacks she could find. She put on the next episode and cuddled herself up in a blanket. Not long after that, around two in the morning, she fell asleep. One hour later, the boys arrived home.

“Woah... Someone has been bored. This place is a mess...” Kyuhyun, who had walked in first said, seeing the empty bottles, wrappers and TV still on.

“Is that SHINee’s Hello Baby?” Eunhyuk, having walked in next, said. They stared at the screen then at the girl. “Is she a SHINee addict?” Eunhyuk burst out in laughter, followed by Kyuhyun doing the same.

“Who’s addicted to what?” Donghae asked, stepping in. Upon seeing the screen, Kayla and all the albums SHINee ever produced scattered on the floor, Donghae puffed out some air. Jesus Christ...He turned off the TV and began cleaning up a little. Siwon, Yesung and Sungmin were kind enough to help him while Leeteuk and Ryeowook prepared the food. “My little princess,” Donghae muttered, picking Kayla up in his arms and carrying her inside the bedroom. Carefully, he lay her down on the bed. “I’ll care more for you later, okay?” He kissed her forehead and went out to the members.

“Is she still sleeping?” Shindong asked, slurping up some ramen. Donghae nodded.

“What’s up with her SHINee addiction?” Kyuhyun asked, chewing on his chopsticks while wiggling his eyebrows at Donghae.

“What? She is allowed to like other bands too,” he replied. “Besides, that I’m her favourite won’t ever change.” He took another sip of water, stating that he felt confident.

“She watched ‘Lee Taemin y moments’...” Eunhyuk said, making Donghae choke and end up coughing. Leeteuk slapped the troublemakers' heads as they burst out laughing. When he had recovered, Donghae too slapped their heads then stood up.

“I’ll deal with that tomorrow.” He washed up his plate, put it in the dishwasher then headed back to the bedroom where his princess still slept happily. He closed, locked and changed into sleepwear. “Are you planning to sleep in that?” he asked the sleeping Kayla, eyeing her clothing. He frowned. What do I do? I can’t just undress her... He tapped his chin. “Oh screw it, she’ll have to get mad if she wants to.” Carefully, to not wake her up, he slid off the sweatpants, placing them on a chair. He stared at the shirt she wore. Hm, it kinda fits her. She can keep that one on then. Gosh, she’ll be mad when she realises I let her sleep in ...Oh well, the shirt covers pretty much. He climbed down next to her, almost immediately becoming hugged. He smiled, hugging Kayla back and snuggling his face in her hair.

“Mm... Taemin...” Donghae’s eyes shot open and stared down at Kayla. He glared at her, testing if she was sleeping or pranking him. However, when she didn’t respond to his glaring, Donghae scowled.

“Urgh, I’ll deal with that tomorrow too,” he muttered. “Good night princess. Love you.” With that he closed his eyes and fell asleep, being unaware that Kayla was at least half awake and indeed had fooled him. Hihi, sleep well my prince. She reached up to kiss him before going back to sleep, hugging him tightly and having one of her legs between his.


Hello my dears! This was an intersting chapter wasn't it? Donghae's being a little dirty minded in the end there, hehehe ;) Haha, I personally have a small crush on Lee Taemin and just had to have him in the story somewhere! Promise that he'll return if you want him to okay? So leave your comments about that one! Also, welcome my new little subbie! You're very much welcome to this adventure! ^^ Hope you'll love the story!

So what do you think is going to happen next? What's this movie really about? What do you guys think? Tell me in the comments below and I'll give a small reward to the one with the closest guess! :D See you around, love you!<3