The Greatest Love

Love Stories Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

--

“Chief Assistant Kang, what’s the situation?”

Hyewon turned her head and saw the Fire Chief of the firefighter team, Chaeyeon, coming down from the pole. She rushed to the captain's side and showed her the news.

“There’s fire in the residence area. At least four houses got burned down. One of our response teams was there already, helping with the fire. Apparently, one house collapsed and we’re trying to find any survivors from that house.”

Chaeyeon took the iPad and scrolled through the news, skimming the article.

“How about the other houses? Did they manage to put down the fire?”

“They are working on that, but they need more people to help with the search of survivors.”

The duo arrived at the assembly room, with the special unit gathered.

“Okay, team. We have a situation here. Our main focus is to find as many survivors as we can so our response team could focus on putting out the fire. Now move!”

The group dismissed immediately and headed to their assigned cars. As Chaeyeon was about to head out as well, she felt someone grab her arm. It was Hyewon.

“Chae-”

“I know, Hye. I know.”

Hyewon took the key car from Chaeyeon’s hand and walked over to the driver seat. Chaeyeon was about to protest but she shut immediately when her girlfriend glared at her.

“Do you want to check if our best friend is one of the casualties or not?”

“My god…”

Chaeyeon closed the car door as her eyes locked on the burning houses and collapsed house. This neighborhood was actually one of her favorite neighbors as it was calm and green and just… comfortable. She went to this neighborhood tons of times to visit her best friend’s little family. To think that this was painted with orange color and some of the houses were engulfed with fires, it was horrid.

“Chief Lee.”

Chaeyeon turned her head to find the captain of her special unit, Chaewon, walked over her.

“How’s the situation?”

“We already confirmed most of the residences are out and safe. But-”

Chaeyeon could see the hesitation on Chaewon’s face as she turned her back to the collapsed house.

“It’s-”

“SAKURA!!!!!!!”

Chaeyeon could feel her heart drop when she heard the familiar voice screaming over her best friend’s name. She pushed Chaewon away from her and ran immediately to the source of the voice.

“NAKO!! YUJINAH!!!”

With Hyewon following closely behind her, Chaeyeon finally found the tiny woman who was screaming desperately for her family. Chaeyeon hugged the said woman immediately.

“Eunbi unnie whe- where’s everyone?”

With her body and face covered by ashes, sweat and tears, Eunbi cling desperately to the familiar warmth and faces.

“Chaeyeon- Chaeyeon please!! Please she- she went back to find the kids and- I- I don’t know where the kids are and she-”

Chaeyeon looked at the house worriedly and then went back to Eunbi.

“Unnie, shh, calm down. I will save her and the kids. Assistant Chief Kang, please take Mrs. Miyawaki away from here.”

As she pulled Eunbi into her girlfriend’s arm, Chaeyeon called her special unit.

“Captain Kim, there are three people inside the house. One adult and two toddlers.”

Chaewon nodded her head and immediately briefed her team about the missing survivors. Chaeyeon turned her body and walked over to the Fire Equipment Operator, Minju, and asked for an extra fire proximity suit.

“We have an extra chief. But for who?”

Without saying anything, Chaeyeon took the suit and immediately used it for herself, shocking Minju.

“Cha- Chief! Y- You can’t!”

Amidst the struggle, Minju knew she was losing against Chaeyeon. She knew the chief’s best friend is one of the missing persons. But she also knew that the chief must stay on the ground to oversee the situation. Minju desperately searched for the chief assistant, but she was occupied. Minju then grabbed Chaeyeon’s arm.

“Unnie, please! You know you can’t go in there!”

Chaeyeon ignores Minju’s warning and dashed toward Chaewon and her team who’s about to go inside the house. The shocked reaction was expected, but Chaeyeon could care less. Right now, her best friend and her god daughters’ life is in danger.

“We’re going in.”

--

Eunbi walked back and forth in front of the house that she built together with Sakura that is now on the verge of collapsing. She couldn’t help but feeling extremely nervous and anxious about her family. Eunbi also couldn’t stop beating herself up for leaving her family behind.

“Unnie..”

Eunbi shook her head as her eyes glued at the front door, or used to be the front door. Hoping to see the silhouettes of her family members. Hyewon walked behind her and held her shoulders tightly.

“I’m sure Chaewon is gonna find them. I’m pretty sure of that. She and her team are extremely great at their jobs. She’ll find them.”

Eunbi couldn’t say anything except nod. She couldn’t even think. She just hoped whatever Hyewon said was true. She was hoping Chaewon really did a great job and just found her babies.

“Chief Assistant!”

Hyewon turned her head and saw one of the response team captains run over her. He salutes at her.

“We need you to brief the situation for us. Could you please spare some of your time?”

Hyewon frowned before she looked around, looking for her girlfriend.

“Chief Lee is here. I’m pretty sure-”

“Ma’am, but Chief Lee went inside with the s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter