Extraordinary You

Love Stories Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

--

A strong yet warm breeze has come to push away Summer and welcome Autumn. It wasn’t that cold, but it was definitely better than the blazing sun these past few days. The falling leaf season is finally here, which means that there will be a lot of people spending their time indoors, especially cafes. Call it sentimental, but apparently people in South Korea love spending their fall season in a cafe, calling it romantic.

But not for cafe owners. It’s their time to shine to gather crowds into their cafe. From menus, to photospot and ambience, cafe owners will be competing with each other.

Not for this one particular cafe, though.

This little cafe was located at the corner of the road, with huge windows on every side. Making the inside visible for onlookers. And that’s definitely intentionally done. The cafe was relatively small, but cozy. It was surrounded by pastel colors, making it look soft and pleasing to the eyes. Seasonal crowd definitely did not apply for this cafe.

But that’s not what makes it crowded all the time.

The food was great, the drink also phenomenal. But what makes this cafe full with people, men and women alike, was because of the employees.

The owner and barista, Kim Chaewon was a fairy descendant. She looks adorable and fluffy, although she looks like she’s about to kill someone every time, once she smiles it feels like the sun has come to bless your soul. The one assisting her was her younger sister, Kim Minju. If Chaewon was a fairy descendant, Minju was probably appointed by Aphrodite herself as her successor on earth. Her pale face, red lips and long black hair makes everyone turn their head towards her. Her kind nature and soft voice makes her loved by all customers.

Not only the owners, their employees also the main attraction of the cafe. They have Yena, who is Chaewon’s girlfriend, as a friendly and playful waitress. She was so fun to be with, and customers having fun with how funny and friendly she was. And her cool demeanour and how she was one of the people who can bring a smile on Chaewon’s face. Aside from her, they also have Hyewon, the cool beauty who prefers natural over make up. Her natural beauty makes everyone turn their head to her, but her flirty side makes girls melt over her. She and Yena have been best friends since high school, so their chemistry is over the top.

And then they have this waitress, Sakura. With short, brown hair, sculptured jaws, pink tiny lips and big pair of eyes and ears, Sakura easily made everyone come just to take a glimpse of her. She once coloured her hair as pink, and that blew everyone’s mind as she was dubbed as human cherry blossom.

“Welcome!”

Another day, another afternoon the cafe was filled with people. Though people tend to leave when it looks crowded from the outside, there are some people lingering just to take a glimpse of the owners and employees. Mostly are school girls though, hiding in their not so called hideout to stalk the employees inside.

“Kkura unnie, could you please sweep the leaves outside?”

Sakura, already has a broom on her hand, smiles at Chaewon.

“I’m on it.”

Still with the apron hugged her body, Sakura stepped outside and immediately greeted by the breeze.

“Ah, it’s going to be autumn soon.”

Sakura took a deep breath, inhaling the scent of autumn, if it has one. This is not the first time Sakura is spending her time outside the cafe. Greeting the high school girls, having a chat with the ahjumma who sell kimbap beside the cafe, and playing with stray animals (she prefers cats, though). It was her usual activity in the afternoon as she can watch how the time works with everyone. Like the black suit dudes who walked faster than others, hoping to catch the train before it got crowded, the mothers with their shopping bags in a call probably with her family who were whining how hungry they are, the kids who was walking together after cram school and deciding what to eat together, and then the girls and boys in their early 20s walking to their part-time job.

Time is moving differently for everyone. And it amazed her still.

Sakura was about to finish up her afternoon cleaning when she caught a glimpse of a woman across the street. She looks breathtaking, and ethereal with that long, dark brown hair. Sakura blushed as she was not supposed to stare that long, hoping the other woman didn’t catch her staring. When she turns her head one more time, the woman has gone.

“Kkura unnie! Hurry up, it’s getting cold!”

She heard Yena call her from inside, and hurriedly went to the cafe. Not gonna lie, she was a little bit disappointed when the woman left. She was secretly hoping that woman would come to their cafe, and maybe she can be the one who brings her order.

That’s a shame.

--

Another afternoon in the autumn, means another afternoon for the employees to rake all the falling leaves. They all have been taking turns to take care of the fallen leaves, and today has come the day where Sakura’s turn to take care of the trees. To be honest, taking care of the leaves is such a hassle. But it’s better than staying inside the cramped cafe, where customers keep engaging with her.

Sakura doesn’t really like talking, and hates doing small talks. But Chaewon, her boss / friend encourages her to do so to give a proper service to their customers.

“And unnie, you’re the one they asked. How can I say no to our dear customers? Do you want them to choose other places?”

Chaewon and her smooth talk. Sakura sometimes wonders why she had to put up that scary face every time she’s talking with customers. Not that her ‘scary face’ is considered scary. It’s not. Pretty cute if she was being honest. But it’s pretty cute how she was all smiling when it comes to Yena. Sakura thought Chaewon was too good for her prankster friend.

“Unnie, do you need help?”

Sakura glanced back at Minju, who walked over to her. When Minju walked toward her, Sakura could hear their customers start whispering excitedly. They both know their customers liking their interaction very much. And they are actually hoping for her and Minju to become an item soon. Sakura smiled and patted her head.

“It’s okay, I can manage this much. It will be cold outside, you stay here and keep warm.”

Sometimes, Sakura liked to see the reactions from both customers and Minju herself. She grinned when she caught Minju’s reddened cheeks.

“Hey, hey! No flirting in my cafe!”

Sakura rolled her eyes at the sound of her nagging boss. She scoffed jokingly before she went outside, ready to do her chores. She could hear Minju’s whining voice though, and that made her chuckle.

Once she stepped outside, she was greeted by a quite strong wind, making her hugged herself. The wind was quite brutal today, and Sakura is afraid that it will be a mess if she starts doing her chores right now.

“Damn… maybe I’ll do it tomorrow instead.”

As Sakura turned her body, about to get back inside, her face hit by something fluffy. It was a beret.

“Wha-”

Sakura holds the beret and starts to look around, hoping to find the owner. She found that lady that she stared at some times ago, looking at her from the other side of the road. Sakura then lowered her head, and then back to the lady. She was staring at the hat.

“Oh…”

Sakura puts her tools and ready to cross the street, but the lady has started walking to the opposite side of the road, walking further away from the cafe.

“W-wait!”

Sakura picked up her pace, hoping to catch up with the lady to give her beret back, but she was already gone. Sakura scratched her head and then inspected the beret in her hand, hoping to find any clue about the lady. She found an initial though. MS.

“Well, here to hope the lady will be here again later.”

Apparently, five days since Sakura saw that lady. It’s not like Sakura was waiting for her, taking a glimpse from the windows to see any movement across the street and secretly hoping the lady will be there.

It surprised her how her mood went sour when she couldn’t find the lady. She really wants to give her beret, huh. And Sakura didn’t bring the beret to the cafe everyday either. She totally is not doing that.

“Chaewonaaa! Kkura unnie is slacking off!!”

Sakura rolled her eyes at the voice of Yena, who was clearly teasing her. That doesn’t stop Chaewon to smack her right on the head, though.

“I think you’re the one slacking.”

Yena was about to shoot another comeback before she cower in fear from Chaewon’s glare. Yena quietly went to the kitchen, accompanied by chuckles from Sakura and Hyewon. Once Yena left them, Chaewon’s attention back to Sakura, with a frown visible in her forehead.

“Although you’re not slacking off, I’ve noticed you got distracted easily. Is something wrong, unnie? Are you feeling sick?”

Sakura grimaced. She rubbed the back of her neck, knowing well her attention was divided into two these days.

“Sorry. I… I’m fine, really. I won’t get distracted again, I promise.”

Chaewon folded her arms as she stared at Sakura. Chaewon sighed and shook her head.

“You know what, unnie, take a break. I know you’ve been working without taking any break for yourself.”

Sakura was about to protest when Chaewon held her hand up.

“I don’t take a no. Now, take that apron off and go take a break. I don’t want to see you left your stuff here. I’ll see you tomorrow, clear?”

Sakura sighed, knowing it would be a waste of time to argue with Chaewon. Her boss grinned widely when she saw Sakura took off her apron.

“Have fun unnie!”

And that’s how Sakura got a sudden free time, where she doesn’t know where to go. To be honest, she only went to the cafe and back to her lodging, which was owned by the Kim’s sisters. Sakura has been staying there for as long as she can remember, and it’s almost three years now.

Sakura decided to go to the park, as she thought it would be a waste to spend her free time at home where she got nothing to do anyway since she had finished her games. Sakura took her phone out and tapped the maps to find the nearest park. Once it’s settled, she walks to the park, following the direction from the maps.

The park was not too crowded, it had decent visitors at that hour and Sakura was thankful for that. She walked around the park, to find a quiet place to play her handheld games. Well, spending her time playing while breathing fresh air is like stepping two stones at one time. It’s a win-win solution for her.

After ten minutes walking, she found a bench near the pond. Not many people were there, and it became a perfect spot for her. Settling her bag beside her, she took her handheld game and focused herself with it. It wasn’t that bad, actually. Feeling the soft breeze hitting her face with a game to play. Sakura doesn’t mind coming back and doing it again sometimes. Maybe it will become her new thing to do in the future.

“Duuuuck! Come!!!!!”

Sakura raised her brow and lowered her game, not expecting someone to be there, especially a little kid right beside the pond with her little hand reaching out a duck that was enjoying their times in the middle of the pond. That definitely looked dangerous, though. So Sakura put her game down and held the kid from behind.

“Hey, be careful kid. You will fall.”

A big, round eyes staring back at her.

“Mommy said no stangews…”

Sakura blinked her eyes at the sight of the kid who’s about to cry.

“I- Hold on kid, I’m just here to-”

“Yujin!!”

Both heads turned to the source of the voice. One of the two looks relieved, though.

“Hewp!!”

Sakura looked down, flabbergasted at the kid. It does look like Sakura is about to take the kid away though. Sakura immediately pulled the kid away from the pond and let her go.

“I- I’m sorry! Your daughter was standing beside the pond and I’m afraid she’ll fall and-”

There she was, the dark brown lady Sakura longing to see, the same lady who lost her beret that Sakura kept until now.

“Y-You…”

Sakura gasped when she remembered that she brought along the hat inside her bag.

“Hold on, please!”

Sakura hurriedly went to her bag, searching for the hat. She took her bag with her and jogged toward the lady and the kid.

“Y-Your hat. I was about to give it back to you the other day but I uh… I couldn’t find you.”

The lady was still staring at her, making Sakura feel conscious about herself. Did she smell? She’s not really thinking Sakura is gonna kidnap the kid, right? Sakura gulped.

“Uh…”

The lady blinked her eyes and then smiled, though a little bit forcefully. Her shaking hand reaching out to the hat, taking it carefully.

“... Thank you for keeping it.”

Sakura couldn’t help but smile and felt her heart gonna combust when she heard the lady speak. She then reached out her hand.

“Uh… My name is Sakura. Nice to… meet you?”

The lady looked down at her hand before she gazed up to Sakura. There’s something about her gaze that makes Sakura’s stomach churned. The lady then shook her hand hesitantly. Her hand was small and soft compared to Sakura.

“Eunbi. Nice to meet you, Sakura.”

The way her name rolled out from Eunbi’s mouth sounds perfect, making her feel giddy. Sakura then grinned as she scratched the back of her head, a habit when she’s feeling nervous.

“Eunbi, cute name.”

‘You have a cute name, Eun. it fits you.’

--

Ever since that day, it has become a habit for Sakura to go to that park in hopes to meet Eunbi and the kid, Yujin. Mostly Eunbi, to be honest. Though she doesn’t meet everyday. Every time they do, Sakura makes sure to spend her time talking with Eunbi.

Eunbi was cautious and careful around her, and Sakura could tell that. She was careful with her answers whenever they talked. Sakura knows for sure Eunbi is married, though. She was wearing a ring on her left hand. And Sakura was actually quite depressed about it. But hey, she can be her friend instead. Besides, Yujin is fun to be with.

“So, you’re always taking Yujin here?”

Eunbi nodded as both of them watched Yujin who was running to scare the pigeons, but the kid got swarmed by the pigeons and got scared instead. Sakura and Eunbi laughed at the sight but didn't have any intention to help as Yujin roared at the pigeons.

“Yeah, I spend most of my afternoon with Yujin.”

“Cool, you’re like a… cool mom.”

Sakura grinned as she said, making Eunbi smile a little and turned her head away from her. Sakura sighed, as she watched Yujin still running around.

“Your uh… husband didn’t mind you’re going outside everyday with Yujin?”

Eunbi just gave her a small nod as her eyes staring straight to God knows where. Sakura immediately shut , afraid she was crossing the line.

“Eunbi-ssi I-”

“Yujin! It’s time to go home!”

Sakura watched Yujin run to them and hugged Eunbi’s legs. She then stared at Sakura.

“Kku pway with Jin again tomowow?”

It’s almost time for them to be parted, as it’s almost dark now. It wouldn’t be safe for Eunbi and Yujin to walk in the dark and that is also the last thing Sakura wants. Sakura crouches down before she ruffles Yujin’s hair.

“Maybe, if you’re a good kid?”

Yujin scoffed and crossed her hand.

“Jinnie good kid! Wight mommy?!”

Eunbi looked down and smiled as she the little kid’s hair.

“You are, baby. And maybe Sakura-ssi had something to do tomorrow.”

Sakura felt her heart quenched when Yujin looked dejected. So she took out her phone and gave it to Eunbi.

“Can I get your number? So uh, Yujin can contact me if she wants to play.”

Eunbi looked at the phone hesitantly, before she took it anyway and typed her number. She gave Sakura’s phone back and picked Yujin up.

“See you tomorrow, you two.”

Eunbi smiled while Yujin waved her hand.

“Bye-bye Kkura!”

‘Kkura-yah!’

--

“You know, you’ve been staring at your phone like more than ten times today.”

Sakura almost threw her phone away when she heard Hyewon speak behind her. She rubbed her heart and then glared at Hyewon.

“I’m not.”

Hyewon scoffed as she poke her friend’s cheek.

“Are you sure? You’ve been staring as if waiting for someone to-”

Then, realization hit her.

“You’re waiting for someone, aren’t you?”

Sakura’s eyes widened as her cheeks turned red. She then shakes her head while putting her phone back to her pocket. Hyewon squealed and hugged her friend to . But of course, the customers are gushing over the two of them, while some feel sad that it wasn’t Minju.

“Who was it, who was it?! Yah! How could you hide this from your friend!”

Sakura desperately pushed Hyewon from her, while sending an SOS to Yena, who was watching amusedly from behind.

“Yah, Yena! Help me! Call your girlfriend!!”

Instead of moving, Yena just crouched down with a mop on her side.

“Don’t wanna~ And I’m curious too, so Hyewon! Get that phone!!”

Sakura grunted as she pushed Hyewon with her might, but softly, until she felt a vibration from her pocket.

“Get off! It might be Chaewon!”

Hyewon finally lets her go, but she doesn’t leave the poor girl. Hyewon watched Sakura expectantly, hoping to see an unfamiliar name popped up from Sakura’s phone. She was disappointed when it was indeed Chaewon who called her.

“Yes boss?”

“Kkura unnie, is Yena with you?”

Sakura took a glance at the duck who immediately ran away and found a customer to talk with.

“Yeah, she’s talking with customers now. Why?”

“That damn duck- She’s supposed to deliver a cake! Could you please do it unnie? I can’t trust her.”

Sakura laughed a little.

“Sure, sure. Text me the cake and address.”

Hyewon looks at Sakura.

“Someone in trouble?”

Sakura grinned and nodded.

“Don’t tell her though. And if Chaewon arrived before me, please record her being tortured.”

Hyewon laughed and pat Sakura’s back.

“Off you go now.”

“Enjoy the cake, Mrs. Park! And happy birthday once again.”

Sakura bowed until she saw the door closed. She walked away from the apartment, finishing her job for today. Hyewon sending a picture of Yena being chewed by Chaewon earlier, means she can take some detour before going back to the cafe.

Sakura was about to purchase bungeoppang when she found someone familiar at the same shop. Sakura fixed her hair immediately before she tapped their shoulder softly.

Eunbi was shocked to see Sakura there.

“Hi. Alone today?”

Eunbi's smile relaxed as she took her orders.

“Yeah, Yujin with my... mom today. You’re going to buy this?”

Sakura eyed the stall before nodding.

“Yeah, it’s quite windy today so I need something warm.”

‘You really like eating bungeoppang when it’s cold, huh.’

Sakura ordered some of bungeoppang to take out, missing the lonely smile from Eunbi’s face as she looked down. Once Sakura is done, she turns back to see Eunbi still waiting for her. Of course this gesture was nothing, but it still makes Sakura’s heart warm.

“Uh, let’s walk together.”

Eunbi didn’t say anything, but she followed Sakura out from the store. They were greeted instantly by the cold air.

“It’s getting colder day by day, huh.”

Eunbi nodded. They walked side by side, with Eunbi walking at the side of the road. Realizing this, Sakura silently switched places with her before they continued walking.

‘My princess shouldn't have walked at the side of the road. What if stupid bike or car speeding up and hit you? I won’t let my princess harm.’

“So, you like bungeoppang too?”

Sakura eyed Eunbi’s bungeoppang that definitely loaded. Eunbi hid her blushed cheeks before she nodded her head.

“Yeah, it’s like a must have food for winter but I like to eat it when the weather is cold.”

Sakura laughed.

“That’s right! Just because it’s a bit hot, doesn’t mean I can’t eat this in summer, right?!”

Eunbi grimaced.

“Well, I don’t think I want to eat this when the weather is hot…”

Sakura scratched her head.

“I… guess you’re right.”

“Hey, if I don’t find it appetizing doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it.”

‘You always like this. Forcing everything about you and yourself.’

Sakura felt a sharp pain in her head, making her stop walking and holding her head. Eunbi immediately stopped and crouched down, looking worried at Sakura.

“Are you okay??”

Sakura closed her eyes as she tried to calm herself down. She took a deep breath and try to stand up, forcing a grin on Eunbi.

“I’m sorry, I thought something just hit me from above.”

Sakura rubbed her head, grimacing as if there’s bump in her head. But then she frowned when she saw Eunbi looking at her worriedly. Unconsciously, her hand reached out to Eunbi’s face and rubbed her cheek softly.

“I’m fine. Don’t look so worried.”

Eunbi froze at her touch, and that makes Sakura realize what she’s done. She retracted her hand as fast as she could.

“I-I’m so sorry!! I’m- my hand- uh…”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter