Reunion

Love Stories Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

--

Miyawaki Saku was just a normal person who just got his first job at a regular hospital as a doctor. He does everything normally, wakes up, prepares his breakfast, goes to work, goes back home, plays games, sleep, and repeats. That’s how normal he is.

All his life, never once he does something wild, or crazy. Although he went to parties back in college, never once he went beyond wasted. Unless that one time when his best friend, Yehan, kidnapped him to the other college kids party and he woke up with Yehan beside him. Pretty sure he was just wasted and didn’t do something weird. Except, if waking up beside your best friend and girlfriend was normal, his life was too boring.

Or so he thought.

Saku glanced up from his Switch when he heard steps approaching his desk. He was having a night shift today and to cure his boredom for the long night, he brought his loyal companion, Switch, and was not expecting Yehan walking toward him with his infamous duck lips, bringing a plastic bag with him.

“I thought you have morning shift today?”

Yehan fake gasped as he put the plastic a little bit loud.

“Is that how you greet your handsome best friend who brings you food and companion?!”

Saku rolled his eyes as he put his Switch down and checked what kind of food Yehan brought. His smile grew.

“Nice, I was craving for Sannakji!”

Yehan took a seat beside him and leaned his face closer to Saku.

“I take a kiss on my cheek for the payment. What a wonderful friend I am!”

Saku ignores him and takes the chopsticks before he opens the lid. Yehan shudders.

“What a cold guy you are. No wonder no girls are enjoying your company.”

Saku immediately raised his head and sent an icy glare to the unbothered duck, who had the nerve to shrug his shoulders.

“What? I’m just stating the truth. Don’t tell me you already forgot about Kim Minju, our junior, who ran away crying because of you? Oh, and remember Kang Hyewon? The one who slapped you because you didn’t pay any attention to the goddess? And-”

“Okay, okay. Stop. I got it. Geez.”

Yehan smiles triumphantly before he starts digging in. The smile turned into a frown when Sakura pulled the box of Sannakji into his direction.

“What the hell? I brought that?”

Saku smirked as he scooped the lively tentacles, shoving it slowly into his mouth.

“I thought my dearest best friend brought this for me? I don’t know if I should share this?”

Yehan throws his chopsticks into Saku’s direction and starts sulking. Saku smirked as he enjoyed his favorite food without giving a second glance to the pouting duck. Yehan stares in disbelief at his best friend's direction.

“Unbelievable. Eating that without any sign of guilt. Unbelievable.”

Yehan pulled his hair frustratingly as he watched Saku continue to eat without any attention to sharing. He grumbled and pulled his phone from his pocket.

“Are you seriously gonna tell this to Chaewon? Really?”

Yehan ignored Saku’s comment as he waited for his girlfriend to pick up his call.

“Babe! Listen-”

“Yehan I swear to god if you only called me because Saku oppa is teasing you, again, you better end this call.”

Saku laughed at his best friend's pale face as he could hear Chaewon’s voice from his side.

“Hi Chaewonie~”

Yehan unwillingly turned the loud speaker on.

“Hi my . You better stop teasing him, oppa. I’m so tired of him whining all day because of you.”

Saku looked surprised as the younger girl was his partner-in-crime for teasing the duck. She must have a bad day.

“Oof, I know you’re hot when angry, Chae, but this is way too hot. Rough day at school today?”

“Urgh, totally. We got a new kid today. And guess what, already out of control.”

Saku and Yehan looked at each other, grimacing as they imagined uncontrolled five years old. What a tiring day for Chaewon.

“Thankfully once his mom came to pick him up, he behaved immediately. I requested to change my class but got denied.”

“Sounds like a handful of kids you had there babe. Don’t worry, your handsome and strong ducky will be ready to cheer you up tonight.”

Saku rolled his eyes as he saw Yehan wiggling his eyebrows.

“He looks erted to me Chae, permission to smack his head?”

“Permission granted.”

Without waiting, Saku immediately smacked Yehan’s head. The poor guy winced in pain while Saku rolled his eyes at him for exaggerating his action.

“Anyway, Saku oppa. Oddly enough, this kid looks exactly like you when you were a kid. Did you knock up someone secretly?”

Saku raised his brow but before he could say anything, Yehan took the phone from him.

“Send me the picture babe! Send me the picture!”

Saku stood up with the now empty box and walked across the room to throw it away. He heard a soft gasp from Yehan.

“Damn, dude. If I don’t know you’ve been single your entire life, I would believe this kid as your son.”

Yehan lifts his hand to show the picture of the kid that Chaewon sent to Yehan. Saku took the phone and inspected the picture closely.

“Damn, my mom is going to get a heart attack if she saw this. Wait, should I show her this so she can stop asking when am I gonna get married?”

Saku chuckled at Yehan’s expression before he gave Yehan’s phone back to him.

“Chill, I’m just kidding. I won’t do that to her.”

Saku felt his pager vibrate. He took it out, and fetched his stethoscope that hung on the sofa.

“Clean up before you leave, I had to go do my rounds. Bye Chaewon!”

Yehan watched Saku leave the room and go back to the picture on his phone.

“... There’s no way he had a son, right?”

“Don’t be ridiculous. You told me yourself he never gets laid.”

Yehan hummed, but soon his mouth turned into a erted grin.

“So, massage tonight?”

--

Sakura looks up at the traditional korean home that has been there as long as he can remember. His father was a Japanese who pursued his medical study in Korea before he met and married a korean woman, which is Saku’s mother. The family of four soon become three as their father departs first. Now, the one who occupied this house was his mom, Yoona, and his older sister, Mina.

“Hah.. Here we go.”

Saku took a couple of steps before he unlocked the main door. He took a deep breath, knowing what’s coming.

“I’m home~!”

Not long after he yelled his greeting, he could hear a loud and hurried steps from the back of the house and upstairs.

“He’s back~!”

Saku had to hold his own body when she was tackled by the two grown women who think that it was wise for them to greet him like that.

“Oof- Mom! Neechan! It’s dangerous!”

Yoona and Mina didn’t let go of him, missing his annoyed grumbles even more.

“You should have visited more often then.”

Yoona said as she pulled away from the hug, followed by Mina who’s nodding her head.

“Why did you insist on living alone when our home was still in one area with your hospital? Do you prefer living with that duck instead of us?”

If there was an award for the most rolling eyes human ever made, Saku probably would be a good candidate to compete with how much rolled eyes he makes for this week only.

“Oh come on, my place is not that far.”

Yoona watched her kids bickers with fondness. She was actually against Saku living on his own, but knowing how stubborn her youngest was, she gave him permission.

“Now, now. Go put your bag and come down for lunch. I’ve prepared Yukhoe for you.”

Saku’s eyes lit up and kissed Yoona’s on the cheek. He smiled softly at his mother before jokingly shoved his older sister out of his way. He grinned when he heard Mina’s voice get further away, meaning that Yoona had pulled her to the kitchen with her.

Saku opened his door room softly before he came inside. He was welcomed by the nostalgic feelings that his room gives. He might have lived nearby, but it has been two years since the last time he stays over. Saku oftenly came to visit for lunch or dinner only when he was about to go to hospital or after from the hospital. He put his bag on top of his bed and changed his clothes. As he pulled his shirt up, his eyes caught a photo of him and his dad, with Saku wearing his dad’s doctor coat. He wore his new shirt before he walked to the photo, lifting it. He smiled.

“Heh, look who’s wearing the coat now dad.”

Saku the picture of his dad fondly before he put the photo back. He walked out of his room and went downstairs, heading straight to the kitchen. He could smell something that he missed the most, Kimchi Jjigae made by his mom.

“Whoa, what a feast.”

Saku excitedly took his seat beside Mina, who already had a bowl of rice in front of her. Yoona soon gave him his portion of rice before she took one for herself.

“Let’s eat.”

Both her childrens dig up immediately. Yoona could hear a satisfied moan made by her childrens.

“Oh god, I missed this.”

Mina agreed with Saku’s comment with a nod.

“Always the best.”

Yoona chuckled as she scooped a spoon of rice with some of the Jjigae. The family are eating heartily.

“How’s your work, sweetheart?”

Saku, who had his eyes on the food the whole time, glanced up to his mother before focusing back on his food again.

“Okay, I guess.”

Mina stared at her mom, before she glanced at her little brother.

“She also wanted to ask about your love life.”

Saku finally tears his gaze from the food before he glared at his sister who just shrugged her shoulders. Yoona shakes her head before she puts down her chopsticks.

“You know she means no harm, Saku, and I am curious. How’s things with.. Chaewon?”

Saku’s eyes widened.

“Mom! Chaewon is my friend! How many times-”

“I know, I know. You give up your love life for the sake of your best friend. I know.”

“Mom~”

Saku whined at his mom for speaking out about things that were not supposed to be brought on family dinner. He could feel Mina’s gaze on him.

“No freaking way. Yehan with Chaewon?! I thought he was so in love with Yuri??”

Saku groaned.

“That’s just how it is. Now back to your rice, Neechan. Or perhaps you’d rather talked about Jungyeon hyung- Ow!”

Mina kicked her brother under the table. But they were grown adults now and Yoona of course saw everything. But she's just gonna enjoy the bickering that makes this quiet home livelier.

After their hearty meal, the two siblings are now relaxing in the living room, snuggled up to their mother who was sitting in the middle of her grown childrens. They were enjoying the old movie when Saku lifted himself up, picking up the phone.

“What.”

“Oof, harsh babe. Are you busy?”

Saku mouthed Yehan to his mom and sister.

“I’m having a family time right now so if you’re going to-”

“Oh, sorry. I was about to ask for a favor but forget it. Enjoy your time! Say hello to your mom and Mina noona!”

Saku fixed his sitting position.

“What do you want?”

Saku could hear a sigh from the other line.

“Chaewon was still in the school. Remember the kid? His mom was late so Chaewon had to stay behind. I can’t pick her up because I have operation soon and I don’t want her to go back alone, not after that stalker incident-”

Saku glanced up at the clock on the wall.

“Damn, his mom was sure late. I’ll be there.”

“I know right? You’re the best, hun. I shall-”

Without waiting for Yehan to finish his sentence, which he knew was just something gross, Saku turned off his phone. He stood up from his seat.

“Is it okay if I’m going out? Yehan asked me to pick Chaewon up.”

Yoona looked at him worriedly.

“She’s still at school this late? You better hurry and take an umbrella with you. I think it’s going to be raining soon.”

Saku nodded before he kissed his mom’s cheek and playfully ruffled Mina’s hair. He took one of the big size umbrellas, in case Chaewon forgot to bring one before he went out of the house.

--

“Ugh, I told that duck I’ll be fine alone.”

Saku shrugged his shoulders.

“You think i’m gonna let you? Think again, princess.”

Chaewon rolled her eyes. Saku’s eyes went over to the kid inside the classroom.

“That’s the kid?”

Chaewon looked over her shoulder and nodded.

“Yeah, his name is Yujin. His mom was a waitress and she needed to cover one of her friend’s shifts before the night shift came. You’re free to play with him if you want. I have some papers to be done.”

Saku was always good with kids, considering his profession as a pediatrician. He put his umbrella beside Chaewon’s desk before he made his way to the occupied boy.

“Hi there, can I sit here?”

Yujin lifted his head, staring at Saku before he nodded his head and focusing his attention back to his toy. Saku took a seat in front of him as he scanned the toys before he picked up a dinosaur.

“Do you like dinosaurs?”

Yujin took a careful glance at Saku before he nodded his head. Saku chuckled as he moved the dinosaurs carefully, before something hit him. The reason why Yujin hasn’t said a word. He offers his hand to the boy.

“Hi, my name is Saku. What’s yours?”

Once again, Yujin took another careful glance at his hand and then to his face, before he turned his head to Chaewon, who was watching them. Chaewon smiles at the boy.

“Don’t worry, he’s my friend.”

Yujin turns his head to Saku. This time, he wore a goofy smile with him.

“Hi! My name is Yujin! I’m five years old!”

Saku grinned and shook Yujin’s hand excitedly, mimicking his action.

“Can I play with you?”

Yujin nodded his head excitedly before he ran off to the back of the class. He took some of the blocks with him and grinned at Saku.

“Can you play blocks?!”

Saku mirrored Yujin’s grin before he rolled his sleeves.

“Oh, I’m really good at that.”

Two boys were playing together, with Chaewon watching them from afar. It was supposed to be a cute sight of her friend playing with a kid, that can pass easily as his biological son. It’s kinda scary now that she thinks of it. Chaewon secretly brought up her phone and take their picture before she sent it to Yehan.

[Attached Picture]

Isn’t it a bit scary how similar they look?

Chaewon put her phone on top of her desk and was about to continue working on her paper when she heard hurried steps from the hallway.

“Must be the mom.”

Chaewon left her laptop and walked to the door, leaving the two unaware boys alone to welcome the late parent. True to her assumption, it was indeed Yujin’s mother.

“I’m so, so sorry for being late.”

Chaewon put on her professional smile, even though her inside was screaming.

“No worries, ma’am. It is my job to make sure all the kids are safe and picked up by their guardian.”

Yujin’s mother bit her lips apologetically. Chaewon could see she was probably running with her messy hair and disorganized looks. It might not look presentable, but Chaewon was never one to judge. She stepped aside, making a way for Yujin’s mother to come inside when she heard a soft gasp from the mother.

I guess his mother was also surprised how similar they look.

Chaewon walked to her side.

“Sorry, that was my friend. I’m gonna call Yujin.”

Chaewon left Yujin’s mom and walked toward the boys, missing the reaction of Yujin’s mother. She crouched down as she Yujin’s hair.

“Yujin, your mom is here.”

Yujin immediately turned his head and abandoned all his toys to run to his mother. Chaewon and Saku watched his mother crouched down to lift him up and give him kisses, probably apologizing about being late.

“That’s the mom?”

Chaewon nodded.

“Wow, she’s hot- Ow!”

Saku turned his head and glared at Chaewon, who just pinched his arm.

“She’s the mother of my student, Miyawaki. Behave.”

Chaewon stood up and walked to Yujin and his mother while Saku observed from behind. Yujin’s mother was kinda young, but not too young. Maybe a year or two older than Saku. Her face was small, especially with her short hair. And Saku saw how cute her lips were.

Wait, what.

Saku shook his head and stood up, but he remained in his place not wanting to disturb Chaewon.

“Bye bye Saku!”

Saku took his attention to the source of sound, Yujin, who was waving his hand on his mother’s arm. Saku waved back.

“See you, Yujin.”

Saku saw Yujin’s mother give him a little bow before she smiled at him.

“Thank you for playing with him. See you tomorrow Ms. Kim.”

Saku just waved his hand awkwardly, watching the mother and son duo leaving the class. Silence soon engulfed the classroom. Saku turned his head.

“Home now?”

--

After his short days off at his home, Saku was now back at the hospital. Today he had a day shift, which means that it will be busier than his usual night shift. Saku likes it though, as he could play with some of the patients, since they all will be sleeping on his night shift.

Today was a little bit different though. It wasn’t as crowded as usual. Sometimes, he kinda feels bad for wanting his wing to be crowded. That means more kids are sick, and he hates that. But it feels lonely when there are not many kids he could talk with.

Of course one annoying kid won’t leave him alone though. Choi Yehan, his best friend.

“Yah, yah Saku! Hear me out!”

Saku turned his chair, facing Yehan who just burst into his resting room and blabbered about how his family has been asking him to marry Chaewon. Saku massages the bridge of his nose.

“You’re gonna marry Chaewon, not me. Go ask her opinion about getting married.”

Yehan whined even more.

“That’s the problem! She still thinks it’s too fast for us to be more serious!”

Saku groaned and wiped his tired face. Don’t get him wrong, he loves Yehan and Chaewon. But those two will be the only source he looks older than his actual age. They can’t solve their problem on their own.

“Then don't get married. Enjoy your.. Whatever it is you had.”

“But my parents-”

Yehan stops talking when they hear a familiar ringtone from Yehan’s phone. It was specifically set up for Chaewon’s call.

“Yes my deare- Whoa, babe slow down.. Mhm.. He’s here. Oh? Okay, I’ll get the ambulance. Stay with him.”

Saku becomes tense at the mention of ambulances. Once Yehan ended the call, Saku immediately touched his arm. Yehan turned his head.

“Yujin had a seizure earlier. His body was burning up. Chaewon already placed him on the ground and lay him on his side. I’m gonna call the ambulance, you get ready.”

Saku nodded and immediately left everything behind and walked behind Yehan. This is not his first time facing a kid having a seizure but this was his first time knowing the kid who got a seizure.

And honestly, he’s kinda panicked a little bit. Just a little.

Saku was writing something on the receptionist desk when he heard frantic steps getting closer to his way. He was about to let the nurse take care of the family of a patient until he heard a familiar voice. He lifted his head and once again welcomed by the disheveled look of Yujin’s mother with her waitress uniform.

“You’re Yujin’s mother, right?”

Yujin’s mother turned her head, with a panicked expression all over her face.

“Oh- You’re the one-”

Saku smiled as he offered his hand.

“Yes, hi. My name is Dr. Miyawaki and I were the one who checked up on Yujin. Follow me, Mrs..”

“Kwon, Kwon Eunbi.”

Eunbi took Saku’s hand. He could feel her hand tremble. He let go of her hand softly.

“Yujin is fine, he’s sleeping now. I’ll show you his room.”

Saku looked over his shoulder and nodded to the nurse before he led Eunbi to Yujin’s room. Saku knew he was supposed to talk about the patient's condition but somehow he felt nervous. But he’s a doctor, and it was his duty to inform the patient’s condition.

“He had a seizure in class today. Thankfully, Ms. Kim knows what to do and gives him basic aid. He’s fine now, can respond to what I said, and I let him sleep because he feels sleepy.”

Saku could see Eunbi relaxed a little bit after his brief talk about Yujin’s condition. He opened the door for Eunbi when they arrived at Yujin’s room and Eunbi immediately went to her son’s side.

“It will be the best if he stays here for tonight. Does he.. Have another guardian to accompany him if you’re busy?”

Saku watched the back of Eunbi’s head shaking.

“I’m.. his mother. Only me.”

Saku nodded understandingly.

“I’ll keep my eyes on him, if you had to go to work tonight. If you want, of course.”

Saku felt his heart hitch at the sight of Eunbi’s face when she turned her head to face Saku. Her face was already a mess because of tears. She might have held back her cry.

“I.. I can’t do that to you. You.. You must be busy.”

Saku shook his head and grinned.

“It’s okay, Mrs. Kwon. I can watch him until you finish your shift. My shift is gonna over soon so I have time. I’ll be here.”

Eunbi bit her lips and wiped her tears. She turned her head back to Yujin and put a kiss on his forehead before she walked to Saku. She touched his arms out of gratitude.

“Thank you so much. Really. I won’t be long and,”

Eunbi opened up her bag, looking for something. She took out a tissue from her bag before she wrote something.

“If anything happened, please call me.”

Saku nodded.

“I will, no need to worry. He’s in a good hand.”

Yujin stirs from his sleep, blinking his eyes to get used with the light. He was welcomed by an unfamiliar room that made him scared. But his scared feeling was subdued by the familiar face who was reading on the chair beside his bed. Saku must have felt his gaze as he now lowered his unfamiliar object and smiled at Yujin.

“Why are you awake? It’s still late.”

Saku put the object from his hand down and stood up. He walked up to Yujin, checking his body temperature.

“How are you feeling? Thirsty?”

Yujin nodded. Saku took a glass pitcher and poured water into the glass. He helped Yujin sit up on the bed and helped him drink his water. After Yujin chugged his water, he looked around the room, trying to find the missing person in the room.

“Where’s my mommy?”

Sakur his head softly.

“She’ll be here soon. She was here when you’re sleeping.”

Yujin fiddled his fingers, and before he knew it, Saku heard a sniffle.

“I want my mommy..”

Saku calmly Yujin’s head.

“Want me to hold you?”

Saku could feel Yujin nodded from his hand, so he carefully lifted the blanket and held Yujin up. Yujin immediately sneaked his arms on Saku’s neck before he buried his head on his neck, snuggling up to the familiar man. Saku swayed his body slowly, trying to give comfort to the little boy.

Unbeknownst from them, someone was watching from the outside.

--

Saku stared at the piece of tissue that was put on top of his desk. He’s been staring at that for more than 30 minutes now. He still remembers how he put Yujin back to the bed when he realized he was sleeping and Eunbi came right after that. He updated Yujin’s condition and bid her good night. And it’s been two days since that eventful day and he actually forgot about the tissue until he found that inside his coat.

Now he was wondering what he should do with the phone number. And to be completely honest, he won’t mind meeting with Yujin’s mother again.

Saku sighed and leaned his back to his chair, resting his head on it before staring at the ceiling. He still remembers Eunbi’s worried face when she arrived at the hospital. He might be crazy to find that attractive. Saku shook his head.

“Yeap, definitely crazy.”

Saku took off his coat and draped it on his chair before slinging his bag on his shoulder. He turned off the lights before heading out of the rest room,

“Going home, doc?”

Saku glanced at the night shift nurses and nodded.

“Yeah, see you.”

The nurses, Gyuri and Saerom, watched Saku leave the hospital without greeting anyone else unless he was greeted first.

“Dr. Miyawaki is too cold..”

“But isn’t that what makes him attractive?”

Gyuri stares at Saerom in disbelief.

“So that’s your type..”

Cold was the night, making Saku reroute his way back home for a little stroll. He was not someone who enjoys little walks but the cold weather that he likes the most is finally here. He used to have a walk with his father in the cold weather, so it’s kinda like a habit to him.

But nothing beats a growling stomach.

Saku decided to eat out, remembering he had not yet done groceries to stock up some food or ingredients. There was a new western diner in the town so he decided to try it out.

“Welcome! I’ll be there in sec!”

Saku takes a place at the corner of the room, away from the crowd. He put his bag beside him while waiting for the waitress and menu.

“Hi, welcome to Joyland Diner. Wanna see the menu first?”

Saku took the menu from the waitress and scanned it quickly.

“Uh, no I’m just going to order.. Hot Chicken Wings and Potato Skin with Cheese and Bacon. And one beer please. Thanks.”

Saku gives the menu back to the waitress.

“Okay, it’s gonna take around 10-15 minutes.”

Saku nodded his head without a word and took his Switch from his bag. He plugged his headset before shutting himself out of the world. Well, at least that was the plan until he felt someone tugging his shirt.

“Saku!”

Saku’s eyes widened slightly at the sight of Yujin grinning at him. He took off his headset before grinning back to the kid.

“Hey there, Yujin. What are you doing here?”

Yujin climbed up to the seat in front of Saku uninvited.

“Mommy works here! She needs to work at night so she takes me here!”

Saku could feel his heart beating slowly.

“I see.”

Yujin’s eyes peered down to the Switch on Saku’s hand.

“What’s that?”

Saku looked down at his Switch before he lifted his gaze to the boy.

“It’s a.. Game. Want to see?”

Yujin jumped off his seat before he ran to Saku’s side. Saku scooted over to make space for the little kid who was now climbing to the empty seat beside him. Saku excitedly shows Yujin his game before the two of them are engrossed in the game.

“Sorry for the wait- Yujin! Your mom is looking for you in the kitchen!”

Saku and Yujin looked up simultaneously, making the waitress halted her movement.

“Oh my, you two really look alike. Here’s your order, Sir. Come Yujinie.”

Yujin pouted before he climbed down the seat, taking the waitress hand who led him to the back of the diner. Saku put his game on pause before his lips at the sight of his food. He devours his meal deliciously. He was halfway on his meal when he saw the kitchen door opened by a sulking Yujin who walked straight to his table. He was rather followed by his mother though.

“Yujin! I told you not to bother custom- Oh my god, doc, I’m so sorry.”

Saku waved his hand when Yujin climbed to the seat across him. He wiped his mouth with napkins.

“It’s fine, it’s fine. He must be bored and I need company.”

Yujin crossed his arms and put his tongue out to his mother. Saku chuckled.

“Hey, it’s not nice to do that to your mom.”

Yujin pouted.

“But she scolded me there! I’m bored and want to stay here with you!”

“Yujin-”

“It’s fine, Mrs. Kwon. I seriously won’t mind. Uh.. I think I need dessert after this. Can I order two Half Sundaes, please?”

Eunbi sighed before she took out her notes.

“Okay, Sir. Anything else do you want?”

Saku grinned.

“That’ll be all.”

Once Eunbi turned her back to them, Saku shoved some of his potato skin to Yujin.

“Do you want some?”

And of course Yujin took it gladly. Saku smiles watching him eat before he continues eating. He was actually one of the people who enjoyed his meal undisturbed. But somehow, Yujin was an exception. He was never one who liked to talk, but he initiated it with Yujin, earning him some interesting stories about Yujin’s life so far.

“So, you like to play in the park?”

Yujin nodded his head excitedly.

“Yeah! Me and mommy used to go to the park on weekends. Mommy said I deversed a rest after studying a lot!”

Saku chuckled at his stumbled words. He noticed Yujin used some of the hard words that are rarely used by kids his age. But knowing he spent some time here with his mother and other employees was probably the reason why he picked up some hard words.

“What do you like to do in the park?”

Yujin swung his tiny legs excitedly, hitting the seat softly with the back of his legs.

“Soccer! Mommy is also good with it. I want to ride a bicycle, but I don’t know how. And we don’t have tiny bicycles.”

Saku raised his brow. He wiped his fingers with the napkin.

“Why? Your dad hasn’t taught you yet?”

Yujin shook his head.

“I don’t have dad, mommy said he’s up there watching over us.”

Saku blinked his eyes when Yujin’s finger pointed up to the sky.

“Oh. I’m sorry.”

Yujin shrugged his shoulders.

“It’s always me and mommy so I’m fine! Yujin will protect mommy!”

Saku grinned and nodded before he reached out his hand to patted Yujin’s head.

“Cool. That’s cool Yujin.”

Eunbi came with two glasses of sundaes in her hand. She put both Sundaes on Saku’s side, but Saku slowly pushed one glass to Yujin’s side. Yujin grinned at the sight.

“Yujin. Dr. Miyawaki, you don’t have to do this..”

Saku shook his head and put his crossed arms above the table.

“It’s okay, Mrs. Kwon. I enjoyed his company.”

Eunbi sighed as she didn't see any point for another discussion with the stubborn doctor over this. She turned her head to her son.

“Yujin, what do you say to Dr. Miyawaki?”

Yujin stops his spoon midway to his mouth before he puts the spoon back to the glass.

“Thank you Saku.”

Eunbi gasped with the way Yujin called the doctor.

“Yujin! It’s Dr. Miyawaki!”

Saku just laughed it off. It was kinda on him as he introduced himself as Saku the first time they met. Yujin pushed his mom away, saying that she needed to get back to work, making Saku laugh heartily. In the end, Saku spent his night accompanying Yujin until Eunbi finished her shift. They spend some time with Saku playing and Yujin watching, until Saku felt Yujin nodding off.

“Sleepy?”

Yujin rubbed his eye and nodded. Saku turned off his Switch and put it back to his bag before he cradled Yujin into his arms. Yujin rested his head on Saku’s shoulder before he drifted to a sleeping land. Saku quietly patted his back, making sure Yujin was comfortable enough to sleep. Not long after that, Yujin passed out on his arm.

“Oh my god, is he asleep?”

Saku turned his head, only to find another waitress taking his empty plate. Saku nodded to her.

“I’m so sorry, Sir. I’m going to call his mother-”

Saku shakes his head before he speaks quietly, afraid to wake Yujin up.

“It’s alright. I know him.”

Saku watched the waitress, Yeonhee, bowed her head before she took the empty plates inside the kitchen. Saku knew she would tell her anyway. His assumption was right when she saw Eunbi come out of the kitchen in a hurry.

“I’m so sorry-”

Saku placed a finger in front of his lips, telling her to lower her voice.

“It’s okay, Mrs. Kwon. I’m not in a rush.”

Eunbi shook her head as she bit her lips.

“I’m gonna ask for early leave tonight. I’m so sorry, please wait here.”

Before Saku could stop her, Eunbi left to the kitchen. Saku sighed and mindlessly Yujin’s back. He even fixed Yujin’s sleeping position in his arms. He turned his head to the window beside him, watching the now empty street that was illuminated by the moon. He could see his reflection from the window. Holding Yujin like this looks like he was his dad. Saku wrinkled his nose at the thought. Yujin was someone else’s son. He too, probably gonna have a kid someday. Yujin was his patient, nothing more.

“Sorry for waiting.”

Saku tore his gaze from the window and stared at Eunbi who was now holding two bags with her, seemingly hers and Yujin’s. Saku put his right hand behind Yujin’s back, while his left hand took his bag and sled it to his left shoulder. He held Yujin in his arms before he stood up slowly.

“I got him. It’s late and it will be dangerous if you two are left alone.”

Saku and Eunbi walked together to Eunbi home. Saku walked on the sideway near the road, as he always did this to Mina and Yoona, just like what his father taught him too. Their way back home was filled with silence. Both sides don't know what to say. The only sound that could be heard was Yujin’s little snore.

“... Thank you for doing this.”

Saku glanced at his side to Eunbi, who was staring down at her feet.

“No problem. Yujin was fun to be with.”

Saku contemplated whether he should brought up about Yujin’s father or not. It will be rude of him to talk about it as it was something personal to them. The night was quiet, that’s what a small town for you. Speaking of, Saku remembers how he never saw Eunbi around until recently.

“Uh, I never see you around here. Did you just move here?”

Eunbi nodded her head, fixing the strap of her bag on her shoulder.

“Yeah, we just moved here this month.”

Saku hummed.

“What makes you move here? I mean, this town is not some place for you to aim something.. Big?”

Eunbi chuckled, understanding his question.

“True, I guess I just need somewhere.. Quiet. And everything is close by, making things easier with me and Yujin.”

Saku nodded, recalling what Yujin said about his family.

“It must have been.. Hard, taking care of him alone.”

Eunbi turned her head, staring at Saku.

“Uh, sorry. Yujin kinda tells me that it’s only you and him in here.”

Eunbi looked down and drew a little smile.

“Yeah, my husband died before Yujin was even born. Got tons of pressure in our place before this and before I knew it, I’m here. Probably to escape.”

Saku didn’t say anything else. Hoping that he doesn’t cross the line for her. He followed Eunbi quietly, until he realized they were heading to a familiar place.

“Wait, you lived here?”

Eunbi nodded her head hesitantly.

“I lived here too, with my best friend.”

Eunbi gasped softly.

“No way, what a coincidence. I feel at ease knowing someone around here.”

They walked upstairs, knowing full well there are no elevators in this apartment as this place only has three floors. Eunbi lived on the second floor. Saku waits for Eunbi to unlock the door before he carefully moves Yujin from his arms. Unfortunately, Yujin refused to be moved.

“You can come in and put him on his bed.”

Saku grinned nervously as he failed to untangle Yujin from his neck.

“Sorry for the intrusion.”

Eunbi led Saku into Yujin’s room. Saku sits on the bedside and whispers something to Yujin’s ear, making the boy whine but finally unclutched himself from Saku. Saku carefully put him on the bed and covered him with his blanket before he left the room. He immediately went outside the house, followed by Eunbi.

“Thank you so much, Dr. Miyawaki. I owe you a lot.”

Saku rubbed the back of his neck.

“Saku will do, Mrs. Kwon. And it’s been a pleasure to help.”

Eunbi chuckled.

“Eunbi is fine, Saku. Good night.”

Saku grinned sheepishly before he snapped out from his smile.

“Uh, since we’re neighbors, I can watch Yujin if you want. You know, when you’re having night shifts like this. Uh.. Good night.”

Saku didn’t wait for Eunbi to give any reaction to his suggestion before he bowed his head and walked away to his unit. Eunbi stared at his back dumbfoundedly.

“He didn’t give me his unit number..”

--

Yehan stares down at the boy in front of their main door, while Yujin stares up at him with his big doe eyes. They were staring at each other for a while before Yehan scratched his head.

“Uh… Can I.. help you kid?”

Yujin didn’t say anything as he kept staring at Yehan. Eunbi appears from the stairs.

“Oh, I’m so sorry. Yujin, come here.”

Yujin turned his head at his mother, pouting.

“But you said Saku lives here!”

Eunbi sighed as she pinched the bridge of her neck.

“Yes, but he didn’t say which one. Now come here, I’m gonna be late for work.”

Yehan’s ears perked at the mention of his best friend.

“Saku? You mean Miyawaki Saku?”

Eunbi nodded her head. Yehan grinned as he extended his hand.

“Hi! I’m Choi Yehan, Saku’s best friend. May I know what business you have with him?”

Eunbi walked forward and gladly accepted his handshake offer with a smile.

“Hi, I’m Kwon Eunbi. This is my son, Yujin. My son here wanted to see Saku when I told him he lived here.”

Yujin pouted when he stared at Yehan.

“That’s not Saku. That’s a duck.”

Eunbi’s eyes widened at Yujin while Yehan puckered his lips even more.

“Mrs. Kwon?”

Eunbi turned her head to the familiar voice.

“Miss Kim?”

Chaewon walked closer with a frowned on her face.

“Can I help you- Uh.. What happened to them?”

Both of them turned at Yujin and Yehan who had a staring contest. Eunbi sighed.

“I’m sorry, Yujin wanted to see Saku and knocked every room to find him.”

Chaewon raised her brow.

“How did you know he lived here?”

Before Eunbi could answer, they heard another step halted from the stairs.

“Uh.. what’s going on?”

Yujin’s eyes pecked at the familiar voice and broke his intense gaze from Yehan. His face brightened.

“Saku!”

Yujin immediately ran to Saku’s side and leaped into his arms. Saku caught off guard and almost dropped his bag but steady his stance.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter