What Lovers Do

Love Stories Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Silence, a heavy one.

That was the atmosphere near the vending machine right outside the university where Eunbi called her closest friends or juniors. There was Sakura, Chaewon, Minjoo, and Hyewon. Five of them have been friends since Eunbi in her second year in the uni. Now that she’s in her fourth year, she called them up to break some.. News.

“Are you ing with us, unnie?”

Hyewon was the first one who broke the silence. Minjoo, who was standing beside the older one, nudged Hyewon softly with her elbow, which was ignored completely. Eunbi just smiled, knowing full well the news earlier probably shocked them equally.

“I wish I was.”

Hyewon clicked her tongue and turned her body away from them, trying to hide her upset expression. Eunbi just stared sadly at her back. She then felt a hand take hers. It was Chaewon.

“How long did you know about this?”

Eunbi smiled sadly as she rubbed Chaewon’s back hand softly.

“Not long, but I had a hunch.”

Chaewon just looked down at their intertwined hands before she turned her head quickly, and walked away. Minjoo, who’s the youngest out of them all, gave Eunbi one last blurry look, before she ran off to the other two. The only one left with her was Sakura.

Sakura was Hyewon’s friend at first. Hyewon introduced them and became part of the friendship for the last two years. She was a quiet one, always prefer spending her time alone but still joined when they asked her to hang out. A quiet yet silly one. They never really spend some time just the two of them, like this one. Eunbi isn’t sure why. Sakura was too… engrossed in anything else except Eunbi. This awkward feeling couldn’t be brushed off easily, not after she dropped the bomb here.

“Is… there nothing they could do?”

Eunbi was surprised when Sakura talked first. Usually, Eunbi was the one leading the conversation between the two. Funny, because Sakura doesn’t have a problem talking or spending time with Chaewon or Minjoo. Her guts says maybe Sakura was just shy because Eunbi is older than her.

“Well, they said the chances are slim. Was it true, our future doctor?”

It’s funny how they all have different majors but are still hanging out with each other. Eunbi and Chaewon with their Liberal Arts major, Minjoo with her Psychology major, Hyewon studying Business, and Sakura the only one with the farthest building as a Medical student. They are all so different, yet preferred to spend their free time or holidays together.

And Eunbi is gonna miss that for sure.

“I’ll… try to find out as much as I can, unnie.”

Another silence engulfed them both. Out of everyone, Sakura was the only one Eunbi couldn’t read or guess what’s on her mind. Just like now. While her other three juniors were showing their emotion, Sakura was just sitting here beside her, not even a single emotion on her face. Eunbi couldn’t understand her at all, but she was feeling gratitude toward the younger one. For not leaving her alone and for not giving her the look. She was glad.

“Well, I’ll be in your care then.”

Sakura just gave her the infamous lazy grin of Miyawaki. Sakura was well known in the university as a soft heartbreaker. Pretty doesn’t do justice. She’s… gorgeous. She’s beautiful and handsome at the same time, making both girls and boys admire her. There are countless confessions they have encountered, but Sakura just brushes them off with that lazy grin of hers. Said she’ll have the time for a relationship once her internship is done. 

What a jerk, to be honest. But Eunbi can understand that. Sakura just prioritized her studies and probably work rather than relationships, just like her. 

“So, I guess while I’m doing my research, we’re just gonna have some time with you then.”

Eunbi smiled sadly. Funny how life turns out. One time she was active as hell, as if her adrenaline nerve was on fire. And the next time here she was, diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy, a disease that cause progresive weakness and loss of muscle mass (Yes, Eunbi had to googled it after she went back from hospital because she doesn’t have any idea what that was). 

Eunbi was born healthy. Too healthy, even. She couldn’t stay still. She was too active, joining this and that, doing this and that. But two weeks ago, she realized she fell down quite a lot. Even more than the resident of clumsiness, Minjoo. There are also times when she feels muscle pains and stiffness. Too much that made her finally decide to see doctors. That’s when she knew she had this…situation. 

She was scared, that she was. But what else can she do? There are treatments that she needs to do, appointments that she has to go to, countless medicines, all these treatment schedules make her mind about to blow. 

So Eunbi decided to take it slow. Maybe by telling her friends, she’ll be able to get help from them. Who knows they are looking at her with such looks. Eunbi doesn’t like that but what else can she do? 

She is a pathetic, sad woman and she knows it.

Well at least Sakura doesn’t really give much reaction. For that, she was glad.

“Unnie! Until when you’re going to sleep?! You’re gonna be late!”

Eunbi could hear Minjoo’s voice outside her room. There are beads of sweat around her forehead, because of how long she’s been trying to get up from her own bed. She remembered her doctor mentioned it will be difficult for her to get up from lying down. She thought it hadn't happened to her, considering how she doesn’t have a hard time waking up. But today, Eunbi feels like crying when she can't even lift herself up.

What's worse is she put her phone quite far from her bed. What a way to start the day.

Eunbi has given up. She could only pray that the next time Minjoo tries to wake her up, she’s going inside her room. But then she remembers the damn rules she put on her door that clearly stated ‘Do not come into the room when I’m sleeping or out.’

There goes her chance and only hope to get the out of this ing bed.

Eunbi stared at the ceiling, suddenly giving up. She doesn’t even care anymore. She's just gonna wait until her own body gives her permission to get up.

Eunbi doesn’t care anymore.

Suddenly, there is a little knock from her door.

“Unnie? I’m coming in.”

The door opened slowly, with a head poking from it.

“Ah, I figured you’re awake.”

There was Sakura, already with her lab coat and stethoscope around her neck, walking toward her.

She knew.

“Is it okay if I help you, unnie?”

Eunbi feels like crying. She nodded with her eyes blurred, her hands reaching out to Sakura, eager to finally be rescued. Sakura carefully put Eunbi’s hands around her neck, before putting her own hands behind Eunbi. She helped Eunbi to sit up. Eunbi finally sat up.

“Thanks…”

Sakura just shrugged her shoulders before her eyes looking around the room. She then scoffed and walked toward her desk before holding Eunbi’s phone.

“Next time, don’t get too far from your phone okay?”

Eunbi laughed sheepishly as Sakura handed her phone.

“Need help in the bathroom too, unnie?”

Sakura wiggled her eyebrows, making Eunbi laugh and reach for her nearest pillow to throw it away.

“Yah! !”

Sakura just laughed and grabbed the pillow before putting it back on top of the bed. Before she left, she felt Eunbi holding her sleeve.

“… Please don’t tell the others about this…”

Sakura just grinned lazily before she patted her head.

“Don’t worry. I’ll make sure to check up on you a lot.”

“Unnie, we’re here.”

Eunbi blinked her eyes at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter