Chapter 33: The painful truth

Love You Like A Fool

           Tiffany awake and watches Kris peacefully sleep beside her. A soft smile escapes as she traces her left hand across the eyebrows down the nose. Suddenly, his peaceful sleeping face turns into a frighten and disturbance face. His head turn left to right as he mumbles. Tiffany lowers her head, trying to hear what he is mumbling.

            “Jessica…..Jessica. Don’t go…..” Kris mumbles in fear.

            Tiffany gulp as she looks at him in surprise.

            “Jessica, don’t walk near the edge….” Kris mumbles a little louder. “Don’t go…. Jessica.”

[Kris’ dream]

Kris sees Jessica near the edge of the mountain. He knows she has a habit of walking near the edge and he never likes it at all. He tries to stay as close as he can to her when she does. Jessica stops and turn around. She looks at him.

            “Kris…” Jessica reaches her hand out to him. “We can’t anymore…. don’t follow me anymore.”

            Her words are like knives piercing through his chest. He feels pain.

            “Don’t go.” Kris said.

            Jessica walks closer and closer to edge the cliff. She lifts her right foot and closes her eyes. She jumps off the cliff.

“Jessica!” Kris's body jolts up to a sitting position with sweats all over his forehead. He inhales and exhales heavily as he stares down at the bed.

            Tiffany feels uneasy as he continues to call out Jessica's name. “Is he dreaming about her?” She questioned herself inside her head. 

            After a couple of deep breath, Kris back to his normal self and realize Tiffany present beside him. He turns his head to the right with a weak smile. Tiffany is still confused. She has questions running inside her head and wanting to explode but keeps herself under control.  She reaches for the tissue on the nightstand beside the bed and wipes the sweat off his forehead.

            “A nightmare?” Tiffany asked. She acts like she did not hear anything. Kris nod lightly. “Do you want to share with me what you dream about?”

            “I…um… I dreamt of…”

            “Jessica.” Said Tiffany.

            Kris paused and nervously yet frightenedly looks down at the bed. He grabs tightly onto the duvet. Tiffany keeps staring at him as she waits for his response. She inhales and exhales softly before she reaches for his right hand.

            “I won’t force you if you don’t want to tell me.” Said Tiffany.

            Kris looks at her in slight relief but guilty.

            “Why don’t you go wash up and change?” Said Tiffany with her eyes still on him.

            Kris stiffly nods. Tiffany takes her hands off of his. Kris pulls the duvet off him and slides his legs to the edge of the bed. He stops and looks at Tiffany.

            “Let me help you first.” Said Kris. “Wait here. I’ll go get the wheelchair.” 

            Tiffany nods. Kris got off the bed and went to get the wheelchair that was placed by the wall. He moves it to the edge of the bed on Tiffany side. She pulls the duvet off her. Kris slides one arm underneath her legs and places the other arm behind her back. He lifts her up and carries her to the wheelchair. Tiffany’s eyes did not leave him at all. From the bed to the wheelchair, she keeps looking into his eyes. He does his best to avoids hers. Kris grabs onto the wheelchair handles and push her to the bathroom.

            “Why do you wash up first? I will wait.” Said Kris. “I can check my work email while waiting.” He flashes a weak forceful smile as he stands by the doorway.

            Tiffany nods her head lightly. Kris walks away from the bathroom to the computers at the end of the room. He logs in and browses the internet while he waits for her. Tiffany begins washing her face, brushing her teeth and doing her hair. She put all her focus into making a hair ribbon and not think about what she heard earlier. However, she heard him typing from the bathroom. Tiffany gulp as she grabs onto the corner of her top. She looks at the door….and hesitates.

            Sitting in front of the monitor, Kris log into his email and browse in the inbox for Jessica's name but there was none. He takes a quick look at the bathroom doorway, making sure Tiffany is not done and heading out. He turns around and back at the monitor. Kris quickly types a blog URL that belongs to Jessica. He searches for any update on her whereabouts and what is have been doing. There was none. No update from her. Kris sighs hopelessly as he looks down at the counter.

            “Jessica….” Kris whispered inside his head.

            Tiffany grabs the wheels and gently push it forward. The wheelchairs roll slowly to the doorway. She leans her upper body forward with the wheelchair still behind and hiding in the bathroom. She watches Kris going through Jessica’s blog with one free hand frustrating through his hair.

            “What is he looking for in her blog?” Tiffany questions herself quietly.  She continues to monitor by the bathroom doorway.

            Kris takes a deep breath as he clicks from one feature on Jessica’s blog to the next. He searches for her update and whereabout but unsuccessful he can’t find any. He clicks on the message button and places both hands on the keyboard. He paused. Thinking deep and carefully to himself on what he should say and what he should not say.

            His itching fingers typing. Words after words scroll across the page. Tiffany could not see clearly what he was typing about. She moves her outward, trying to get a better view but could not. Kris stops and grabs the chair's handles. Tiffany grabs the wheels and pull it backward. She is away from the door and put on a mini act. Kris walks up to the bathroom and sees Tiffany push the wheel—rolling to the doorway.

            “You’re done?” Kris asked.

            Tiffany nods.  “I’m done. You should go wash up.” She said in a semi-calm tone.

            “I’ll be out shortly. Wait for me.” Said Kris.

            Tiffany nods again. Kris walks into the bathroom and closes the door. Tiffany looks at the monitor. She looks at the door again and waited for the sound of water running. Tiffany pushes the wheels, rolling to the desk then place both hands on the keyboard. She paused for another moment to listen to the sound of water again. It’s still running. Tiffany moves the mouse lightly to wake up the monitor. She carefully keys the passwords into the blank space beginning with his birthdate, his parent's birthday, and then hers. It was all wrong. She could not unlock the screen. The water in the bathroom stop running. Tiffany quickly turns off the monitor and rolls away from the desk to the closet. The door to the bathroom open. Kris walks out with a towel over his head. He sees Tiffany picking out clothes for him. He walks up to her.

            “Here.” Said Tiffany in a calm sweet tone.   

            Kris bends forward and kiss her on the forehead, “Thank you, honey.” He said before he takes the clothes and walks back into the bathroom to change.

The door shut, Tiffany looks down at her legs. “I must be overthinking. Maybe he just wanted to say hi or maybe giving her advice about where to go.” Tiffany whispered. She gets her herself clothes to change as well.

            Fifteen minutes later, Kris and Tiffany enter the kitchen and sees his mother getting breakfast ready for the family. Tiffany grabs Kris left hand and looks up at him. Kris understanding what she was thinking. He pushes the wheelchair over to the stove.

            “Mom, Tiffany would like to help you.” Said Kris.

            “Oh no-no. It’s okay. I can handle it myself. It will be done soon. You and Tiffany just grab a seat.” Said Mrs. Wu, chopping green onions on the cutting board.

            “Mom, I would feel bad if you don’t let me help.” Tiffany pleaded as she looks at Mrs. Wu. “Please, mom.”

            Mrs. Wu hesitates but gives in very quickly seeing Tiffany puppy eyes. “Okay. How about you help me watch the pot. It should boil soon. Just turn off the stove and add the chop green onions.” She instructed her clearly with a soft tone.

            Tiffany happily nodded. Kris smiles and went to grab the newspaper in the front of the house. Tiffany could hear the soup boiling. The lid wiggling on top of the pot. Tiffany turns off the pot, carefully take the lid off the pot using a clean towel place on the counter, and add the green onions. She lightly sniffs the delicious soup aroma before she closes the lid. Tiffany looks over at Mrs. Wu and sees her busily getting the rice ready into the big bowl.

            “It would be perfect if the soup is cool down a little. I should take the lid off.” Tiffany whispered inside her head.

            Tiffany takes the lid off without using the towel and carelessly holds the hot lid toward her body. She couldn’t withstand the hot lid and let go. The lid drops onto her thighs. “Ah!” Tiffany cried as the lid roll down to the ground.

            Kris immediately rushes into the kitchen and up to Tiffany. He sees burn marks on her thighs. “Are you okay?” He asked.

            Tiffany shut her eyes, trying her best to trap the tears, but could not. It glides down her cheeks. Mrs. Wu hurry over to Tiffany to check on her. Kris immediately grabs an icepack out of the freezer and place it over the burn mark. Tiffany bit her bottom lips as she tries to withstand the pain rushing inside of her.

            “Yobo?” Kris worriedly calls her.

            “Tiffany, are you okay?” Said Mr. Wu in a worried tone. “I knew I shouldn’t have let you help. How can cripple people help?” She accidentally blurts out unnecessary words without thinking.

            “Mom!” Wooyoung shouts in surprised.

            “Yobo!” Mr. Wu said loudly as he looks at his wife.

            “Mianhe, I didn’t---I didn’t mean it.” Said Mrs. Wu with guilty and apologetic looks.

            The words hurt but Tiffany did not let it bother her and ruin the family atmosphere. She shakes her head lightly. “It’s okay, mom. I’m sorry for being careless.”

            “Does it still hurt?” Kris concernedly asked as he held her left hand tightly. Tiffany shakes her head lightly.

            “I’m sorry for ruining the morning.” Tiffany said with guilt.

            Kris let go of her hand and her head lightly. “Silly girl. You didn’t ruin anything. We’re still happy.” He said with smiles. His words lighten her up a little. “How about we go eat.” Said Kris.

            “Yes, let go eat.” Mr. Wu said.

            “I’ll help mom. Brother and sister-in-law just go seat.” Said Wooyoung.

            Kris grabs the handle and pushes the wheelchair to the dinning before Tiffany could say another word. He understands her well that she wants to help but one injury is enough to frighten his heart. Kris takes a seat next to her. He did not say a word but rather look upset. She reaches her hand over and grabs his. Kris turns his head and looks at her.

            “Are you mad?” She asked.

            Kris gives her a soft smile. “No.” He answered. “I’m just mad at myself.”

            “Why?”

            “Because I was careless. You end up getting hurt because of my carelessness.”

            She cups the other side of his face with her free hand. “It’s not your fault. Please don’t blame yourself.” Tiffany said with pleading eyes. “I’m sorry for being careless. I’m sorry for making you and omma worry. I’m sorry.”

            Kris weakly smiles again. “Let’s not ruin the morning. If we can, let’s forget what just happen and start fresh again.” He said.

            Tiffany happily nods.

            That rest of the morning went by like nothing bad have happened but one thing left bothering her. Tiffany could not stop thinking about what she saw this morning. She could not think why he was on Jessica’s blog. She was curious. Just her in the bedroom, she looks at the monitor. Her itching hands and curiosity roll her to the desk. She places both hands on the keyboard after pressing the power button on the desktop. The monitor awakes and the Window symbol appears. Tiffany begins typing all the things she could think of that he would use as a password.

Tiffany looks at the hint.  “Birthdate... What can it be?” Tiffany whispered to herself again. “Could it be Jessica's birthdate?”

            Wooyoung knocks on the door a couple of time, “Sister-in-law, can I come in?” He asked.

            “Yes, you may come in.” Tiffany answered in a slightly loud voice.

            “Annyoung sister.” Said Wooyoung as he enters the room and walks up to her.

            Tiffany smiles. “Annyoung.” She said.

            “Sorry to bother you. I just need to get a copy of a file from hyung computer.” Said Wooyoung.

            “You’re fine.” Said Tiffany as grab the wheels and roll herself aside for Wooyoung.

            “Kamsahamnida.” Wooyoung put his backpack on the floor before he places his hands on the keyboard. “I forgot to ask him for the password. Let me try.” He begins typing a few times on the keyboard before he presses enter. The password that he enters did not work. Wooyoung tries again with a different password. He gets the same password. Wooyoung and Tiffany look at the hint. The hint says “date”.

            “BirthDate? What could it be?” Wooyoung question himself.

            “Why don’t you try this birthdate, 04181989?” Said Tiffany.

            Wooyoung enters the number. The password works. Tiffany took by a slight surprised but did not react. She watches Wooyoung copy the design file into his USB as well as transferring a few data without double-checking the data into Kris's computer.

            “Don’t log out. I want to check my email.”  Say, Tiffany.

            “Araso.” Said Wooyoung. “Then I’m gonna go to work. I’ll see you and hyung tonight.”

            Tiffany nods. Wooyoung left the room. Tiffany turns her attention back to the computer. She grabs the mouse, moves it over the Chrome icon, she double click the left button on the mouse. The Chrome open. Tiffany begins browsing the internet, starting with outlook email. She clicks on the icon—it open and went straight into the login account that belongs to Kris. By surprise, her itching hand went through the email until a folder on the side just below the inbox caught her attention.  She clicks on the folder. It opens to a separate email from the inbox. Tiffany’s eyes scroll down each email that was all sent from Jessica.

            Tiffany panic as she moves the move over to the email. She clicks on it. The email opens.

[Email #1]

It has been a day since I talk to you. Where are you? I miss you. –Jessica

 

[Email #2]

I’m sorry, Jessica. I miss you too. Have you been eating well? Sleep well? Dream of me? –Kris.

 

[Email #3]

Jessica, I want to tell Tiffany about us. I don’t want to hide our relationship. I like you a lot and being away from you is miserable. –Kris.

 

[Email #4]

You can’t. Tiffany loves you. You can’t hurt her. –Jessica

 

[Email #5]

Jessica, it’s hard to hold back those feelings I have for you. If I don’t tell her, us three will suffer. I’m sorry for being selfish but I will tell her the truth after her performance.    –Kris

 

Tiffany stopped. Her body froze in shock. Her heart is aching as tears circling in her eyes and ready to escape as she looks at the number of emails that Jessica and Kris send to each other. She is now hurt…..broken in pieces.

            “That day... That day… they took away my dream, my life.” Said Tiffany in tears. Her right-hand grab onto her top at the center of her chest. She feels her heart beating in pain as she finds out the truth between them. “My leg…..my dream….”

            In anger, Tiffany swift her arms across the desk, throwing everything to the floor. It made a loud sound. Mrs. Wu hurriedly run-up to the room and sees Tiffany crying as she looks at her legs.

            “Tiffany.” Mrs. Wu call her.

            Tiffany did not answer. She continues to shed painful tears.

            “Tiffany?”

            “I want to be alone.” Said Tiffany in a cold tone.

            Mrs. Wu hesitates as she looks at Tiffany's unstable states. “Can you tell omma what happen?” She asked.

            “I want to be alone.” Tiffany slight raises her tone.

            Mrs. Wu nods and closes the door. She hurries down the stair and grabs her cellphone. She calls Kris first, but no answer. She tried a couple more times before she gives her husband a call.

            “Yobo, I’m working right now.” Mr. Wu answer her call.

            “You have to come home now. Now wait, tell Kris to come home now. Something happens, Tiffany is crying. The room is a mess.” Said Mrs. Wu anxiously.

            “Okay. We will head home now.”

            Mr. Wu ended the called and hurriedly when to look for Kris. Out of the mobile house, he searches the construction ground and sees Kris standing with a group of constructors by the second building.

            “Kris!” Mr. Wu shout for him.

            Kris sees Mr. Wu hurriedly over to him. He excuses himself from the group and meets his father half-way.

            “What is it appa?” Kris asked.

            “Your mom just calls. She has been trying to reach you. But anyway, she said to hurry home. Something happens to Tiffany. She said Tiffany is crying. We need to hurry home.” Said Mr. Wu anxiously.

            Kris nods and hurried back to the group. He had the strategic plan over to the group before leaving with Mr. Wu. Kris takes the steering wheel and speeds home.

To be continued………………………..