Chapter 28: A beginning of friendship

Love You Like A Fool

          After leaving the hotel, the half-conscious and half-unconscious Nichkhun look at his car park on the side. He reaches inside his pocket of his pant for the car key but stop and notices how beautiful the night sky is. There were a lot of stars, especially tonight. One deep breath, he went for a walk instead. A long walk far away from the wedding with flashback filling inside his head. Flashback of Taeyeon at the wedding. Flashback of her laughing and talking comfortably with another man. Flashback of himself jealously yet quietly watching her. He stops, shut his eyes, and takes a deep breath as he pushes the flashback away. A vibration against his chest. He reaches inside his pocket of the jacket and pulls it out.

            “Hello?” Nichkhun answered.

            “Where are you? I went looking for you, but I could not find you anywhere at the venue or hotel.” Taecyeon asked. “I only see your car.”

            “Mianhe, I went for a walk.”

            “This late? You should have told us.”

            “I was going to text you, but I forgot. You guys were having so much fun, I didn’t want to ruin the fun. Plus, the night is beautiful, so I went for a walk. Why?”

            “Thought something bad happens to you. I thought you’ve been kidnap by them.”

            Nichkhun chuckles lightly. “I’m fine. I wanted some fresh air. Thank you for thinking of me.”

            “You’re welcome. Remember what I told to you in the hall, don’t do think rationally.”

            “I won’t but I know they’re coming after me. I’m sure they will come find me one day. When that day comes, I will be ready for them.” Said Nichkhun, in a semi-joking and serious tone.

            “Yah! I am talking about a serious thing to you. The situation is no longer the same as before. They are more careful and dangerous.”

            “Okay. Okay. I'm talking seriously too. I won’t die that easily.”

            Taeyeon’s heart stops beating for a second. The word “die” frightened her. She feels the urge to run up to him and embrace him, but her stubborn self is holding her back.

            “Alright, I will talk to you later. Bye.” Said Nichkhun before he end the call. He put the phone in his pocket. He looks at the beautiful starry night skies. Inhale and exhale softly, he turns around and the whole body froze seeing Taeyeon standing ten feet away from him. Both stood in silent. No words. Just the sound of light wind brushing through the trees.

“Taeyeon…”

            She was still speechless. He walks up to her, stopping about three steps away from her.    

            “Why are you here? Why didn’t you say anything? Why didn’t you call me?”

            Bombard with questions, Taeyeon does not know where to start or which question to answer first. Feeling the chill air breezing his cheek, Nichkhun take off his suit jacket and put it over her. Taeyeon stands still and watches him.

            “It’s getting cold. You should head back.” He said in a soft tone. “I’ll walk you back.” His legs begin moving again. Step by step, he was almost close to her.

            “Is everything okay?” Taeyeon finally speak. Her eyes feel with worries.

            Nichkhun right beside her. He turns and looks at her.

            “I mean you left quietly after a lot of drinks.” She rephrases her words, trying hard to keep her worries out of sight.

            Nichkhun smiles lightly. “Is that why you follow me?”

            “I thought you were going to drive, so I follow you out of the hotel. But you walk instead…so I…”

            “So, you quietly walk behind me.” Through her eyes, he can see and tell that there more than just those simple kind word. He knows she is stubborn and will not tell him the truth.

            “Is there something else you want to say to me?”

            Taeyeon hesitates for a moment before she speaks again. “How is your family? Are they safe?” She asked in a concerned tone.

            Not knowing what to say, he could only look at her with a mixed feeling.

            “I mean I heard by chance that something bad happens in Bangkok. You left in hurried that night. I thought…..” Taeyeon nervously speak.

            “Everything is okay for now. Thank you for thinking my family.” Said Nichkhun with a calm smile. “I thought I was just a stranger. But I am an honor to know that you are worried about me.” He said, calmly. “At least I know I am more than a stranger to you now.”

            “You are my cousin’s husband close friend. I…. I don’t see you as a stranger anymore.”

            Hearing those word from her makes him happy. He takes a step closer to her. Taeyeon gulp as she looks at him nervously.

            “Then am I your friend now?” He asked with a soft smile. “Can I be your friend now?

            Taeyeon hesitate. Nichkhun waits patiently for her answer. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. The time pass as he looks at her without blinking. Nichkhun understands that she still distant herself from him.

            “Taeyeon, what are you afraid of?” He asked in a serious manner. “Afraid of falling in love? Afraid of getting hurt? Afraid of meeting a new person?”

            Taeyeon was speechless, not knowing what to say or answer.

            “I…”

            “If you don’t know what to say than I’ll talk.” Said Nichkhun as he take another step closer to her. “I am very happy to see you tonight…. Seeing you makes all my worries go away. I miss you. The time that I’m not here, do you miss me?” He said in a soft tone. She keeps quiet, no answering him. He begins talking again. “When I was on the plane today, I thought I won’t make it to the wedding on time. So, I might as well not go, but it’s my best friend’s wedding and most important, you would be at the wedding. I came, and I could not take my eyes off you. But when I see you close and comfortable with another man, I felt jealous. Before, I wonder why? Why couldn’t you be that way with me? Why couldn’t you accept me? But now I know why. Now I know why you reject every of my advanced. To you, I may not be the right man. To me, you are the one and I am willing to wait…. wait for you. And I won’t give up on you.”

            His eyes filled with affection and sincere. Taeyeon is touch and happy by his words as she looks into his eyes. A part of her wants to tell him the real reason why she refuses him but could not pull herself together to do so. Unable to tell the truth and afraid to love, they continue to stand facing each other with silent surrounding them.

            Ding. Ding. A biker riding his bike fast toward them. Nichkhun glance to the left and see him coming.

“Watch out.”  He reaches for her arms, pull her toward him. They spin around into the inner side of the sidewalk. The biker passed them. Nichkhun glance at the biker then back at Taeyeon, who was surprise and shock for a moment.

            “Are you okay? Did he hit you anywhere?” Nichkhun asked in a concerned tone. “Tell me where you are hurt?” His eyes continue to search injuries or bleeding on her body.

            Taeyeon shook her head no lightly. Nichkhun sighed in relief. He grabs and holds her right hand. “I’ll walk you back. The girls must be looking for you.”

            Taeyeon did not say anything and obediently follow him back to the hotel. She walks in the inner of the side walk while he walks outside, guarding her against any bikers or moving object pass their way.

The journey was quiet and her heart beating nervously fast but also fills with warmness as she looks at him from the side. Her eyes glide down her left hand from time to time, the hand that’s holding tightly. It makes her feel safe.  On their way back, she feels her heart beating furiously fast. They walk and walk in silent. She does not dare to speak, afraid what she says will make her open herself more to him. He did not speak either. Afraid she will distant herself from him. Just like the way they are right now. They walk in mesmerizing quiet night. 

            Finally, back at the hotel. There were hardly any cars left. The light in the venue is off. Nichkhun and Taeyeon stop at the side of the hotel. He wonders himself. How far did he walk? How long did he walk for? Thirty minutes? One hour? He does not even know. Nichkhun look at Taeyeon, who is looking at him as well. He eyes glide down to her feet and sees red marks at her ankles. Nichkhun get down to his right knee and take a closer look at the red marks almost peeling her skins. He lightly traces his right fingers over the red marks. Taeyeon startle and immediately take a step back. Nichkhun looks up and sees her shy face avoiding his eyes.

            “Why didn’t you say anything? Why didn’t you stop me?” He asked.

            “I…” She was too shy to speak.

            Nichkhun stands up. Inhale and exhale, he looks at her with a curious face.

            “What? Is there something on my face?” Taeyeon asked, shyly.

            Nichkhun shook his no lightly. “I’m just curious. You make me want to know you more.” He said. “You can dance. You can sing. You make great coffee. You are very smart. What else can this beautiful young lady do?”

            “Thank you.” She said, almost in a quiet tone.

            “Thank me for what?”

            “For earlier. If you weren’t there, I could have been hit by the biker.” She said, shyly.

            Nichkhun smiles softly. He looks at the hotel then back at her. “I guess everyone is gone. Did you drive?”

Taeyeon shook her head ‘no’ lightly.

“I’ll drive you home.”

            “It’s okay. I can take the taxi.”  

            “Taxi? It’s dangerous for a beautiful lady to take the taxi alone at night. I don’t trust those taxi drivers.” He said. Nichkhun pulls her to him. She rests both her hands at his chest, ready to stop him if he plans to kiss her. “I am not going to kiss you. But I will…” He quickly carries her up in a bridal way.

            Taeyeon gaps in surprises. “Put—put me down.” Said Taeyeon.

            Nichkhun makes his way to his car. Taeyeon repeats. He ignores her words. He bends down a little and opens the passenger door with his free fingers. Pulling the door open, he put her down on the seat and pull the seatbelt over her.

            Nichkhun gives her a smile before he closes the door and walks over to the driver side. He closes the door and press on the start button.

            Nichkhun turn his head to look at Taeyeon, “Are you going to show me the direction to your house? Or would you like to stay at my place tonight?” He said, jokingly with a sweet smile. “I have an extra room for you if you decide to stay at my place.”

            “I’ll show you.” Said Taeyeon shyly. “Make a right turn and drive straight.” She begins giving him direction.

            Nichkhun buckle up and begin driving. The drive was quiet. Nichkhun had the music low. Taeyeon tries her best to keep her eye on the road, but her mind could not keep quiet. She keeps thinking about those words she heard earlier. She wants to ask him, but to shy and quiet to do so. The only word…only action was showing him the way to her home. Fifteen minutes later, they arrive. He parked in front of the apartment complex.

            Nichkhun exits the car and walks around the front of his car to the passenger side. He opens the door for her to exit. Taeyeon steps out and he closes the door. He grabs her left hand and walks her into the building. By the glass door, he let go of her hand. Nichkhun smiles and lightly bowed his head as a goodbye.

            “Wait.” Said Taeyeon.

            Nichkhun stops and turn around.

            “I…Thank you for taking me home.” She said.

            Nichkhun smiles softly, “You’re welcome.” He said. “Don’t think too much. Good night.” He turn around, facing the exit. He walks out of the building and enter his car. She watches him drive away then suddenly realize she still have his jacket. It was too late for her to stop him. Taeyeon could only smiles as she turns around and walks to the elevator. Nichkhun made a U-turn and slowly drive back to the apartment. He sees her smiling from his car make him smiles. She steps into the elevator and press the number 9. Nichkhun stay for a moment before he drives away again. She punches her code and the front door unlock. She walks into her house, close and lock the door. She places her pouch wallet on the coffee table. She takes his jacket off and place on the couch neatly before taking a seat beside his jacket. Trailing her hands over his jacket, she feels something hard in his pocket. Nosily, she slides her hand in the inner pocket of his jacket and pull out a card. It has his name, his company, and phone number on the card. Taeyeon lightly bit the bottom lip as she holds onto the card in front of her.

            She suddenly thought of his question he asked her before heading back to the hotel.

“I miss you. The time I was not here, do you miss me?”

            Taeyeon smiles softly, “I miss you….I miss you a lot.” If only she had the courage to answer him back there.

            The smiles disappeared when she remembers the conversation he had over the phone by chance. “Die”? She repeated the word inside her head. “What is he hiding? What is going to happen to him?” The more she thinks the more frighten she become. She feels a short breath as her right-hand rest at her chest. Taeyeon remember that night at the hospital, seeing him chasing after someone. A mysterious man that is a threat to him. “Please, be alright.”

            The whole night, her mind wonders many things that relate to him. She is frightened and worries. She wants to call him. She wants to hear his word. She wants to hear him tell her that everything will be alright. But she could not pull herself together and be brave to her feeling.

            “Please give me a chance…”

            His words repeat inside her head over and over till her eyes close. She falls a sleep on the couch with her head resting on his jacket.

* * * * *

[Early morning—the plane arrived at Provence, France.]

 

Fourteen hours later, Siwon and Jessica arrived at Provence international airport. Leaving the plane to the baggage claim. They are welcome by Siwon’s close friends from France. Exploded by hugs and kisses, Jessica was startle and feel odd. She clings onto Siwon left arm tightly as his friends continue to greet him.

            “Don’t worry. They are my close friend from here and business partner. This is how we say hi.” Said Siwon.

            Jessica was still shy as she stands close to him. “I didn’t know French people are this open to welcome us home. A lot of hugs and kisses. It’s still strange to me.” She said.

            “I guess I have to show you the French custom of saying hi and bye starting tomorrow.” He flashes a cheeky look at her.

            “Dream on. I think I will learn by today.” Said Jessica.

            Siwon chuckles lightly as he holds her left hand tightly. “Let’s get our bag and go home.”

            Jessica happily nods.

            Along with his friends, they walk to the baggage claim and Siwon grab their luggage before exiting the airport where his chauffeur waits for them beside a luxury sports car. The front has a small tag on the right side of the hood say, ‘Audi Sport’ and the back has a letter and a number, ‘R8’. The chauffeur greeted them with a bow and help put the luggage into the trunk. Siwon exchange a few words with his friends before they part their ways.

“This car is similar to the one he has in Korea.” Said Jessica, inside her head.

Siwon walks her to the passenger side of the car. He opens the door for her to enter. She did.

“Wait here, I will be right back.” Said Siwon. Jessica nod lightly.

Siwon went to say goodbye to his friends and exchange a few words with the chauffeur. The chauffeur nod and hand him the car key. Siwon walks back to the car.

            He enters the car and seat on driver seat, he starts the engine and drives into the road.

            “What about that man?” Jessica asked as she looks at him with a curious face.

            “He’s going to take the taxi back.” Said Siwon. “I thought I drive my wife around this beautiful city before heading home.” He flashes a smile at her then eyes on the road.

            “Home in Paris?” she asked.

            “No, home in Aix-En Provence.” He answered with smiles. “It’s a small beautiful city in the Southern France. It’s close to Marseille.”

            “I always thought you live in Paris. You seem more of a city man than the small and country man.”

            “My business is in Paris, but our home is in Provence. I enjoy the peacefulness more than the busy and chaotic city.” He reaches for her left hand and holds it. “Why don’t you relax and enjoy the scenery.

            Jessica rest her back against the seat and enjoy the ride with sceneries. “I can’t believe this place is so beautiful. How is it that I’ve never been here when I was in France?” She questioned herself. “What happen if I came here instead of Paris? Would I still meet him by chance? After all, he lives in this little yet beautiful city. A place where I start a new life with him as my husband.” Jessica could not refrain herself from smiling. Siwon glance at her and see her smiles. He couldn’t help but smiles as well.

            Jessica’ s eye jolt wide when she sees a few mansions that look like a castle. “There’s a lot of castles here!” She said in an excited tone.

            “You like castles?”

            “I do. I love castles. Every castle has a story of its own. I enjoy the romantic side of the story more than the dark secret it holds. Siwon, is our home like theirs?”

            “Maybe. You will see soon. We are almost there.” Said Siwon with smiles.

            Luxury driving in the road along the river than he makes a right turn. Another two minute of driving, Siwon slowly pulls up to the driveway. Jessica is in awe as she looks at the beautiful house. Four butler and maids stand on the left while the other four stand on the right. Siwon exits the car and walks over the passenger and open the door. He helps her out of the car.

            “Is this really your house? Are you sure you’re not at the wrong house?” Jessica asked. She was still in undeniable. The house in front of her is not a house, not even a mention, but it’s a castle. Small hall fountain on each side with a big one by the center near the entrance of the mansion.

            “Bonjour, maître et madame. Bienvenue à la Maison " They greet them with a polite 45-degree bow.

            “Bonjour.” Siwon greet them with smiles. “S'il vous plaît apporter les bagages à la chambre des maîtres.”

            “Qui Maître.” Said the male butlers.

            “What are they saying?” Jessica asked. “What did you say to them?”

            “They say hi and welcome home. I told them to carry the luggage to our room.” Said Siwon. “Is there something you want to say to them?”

            Jessica shook her head no. “I can’t really speak French.”

            “They speak English as well.”

            Jessica let out a sigh in relief. “I thought I have to use a translator 24/7 to communicate.”

            Siwon chuckles lightly. “Let’s give you a tour.”

 

Translation:
Bonjour, maître et madame = Hello master and madame.

Bienvenue à la maison = Welcome home

S'il vous plaît apporter les bagages à la chambre des maîtres. = Please bring the luggage to the master bedroom.

Qui Maître = Yes, master

 

To be continued……………