Chapter Ten: The Moral Support

Love You Like A Fool

            Many hours later, Tiffany successful surgery. She was move to room 312 on the fifth floor, while Kris was put in room 405 on the fourth floor. The families wait in the waiting room as the nurses set the monitors and other equipment to keep track of Tiffany and Kris. Nichkhun standing by the fireplace with Siwon, looking the at miserable families praying as the wait to be escorted to the room, his eyes somehow makes it way over to Taeyeon, who’s comforting the tearful Jessica.

              “Such a tragic and hard day for them.” Nichkhun whispered.

              Siwon sighed, “A few days ago, everyone with happy. But today, everything has changed. I worry about the Jung family.” He said.

              “Are you sure you worry about the Jung family? Or are you worry about a specific person in the Jung family?”

              Siwon lightly elbow him, “Be quiet.” He said.

              Nichkhun lightly smiles at Siwon before a group people and doctors exit the elevator and hurriedly walks up to Nichkhun. The greeted him and Siwon with a 90-degree bow. “Good evening Mr. Horvejkul and Mr. Choi.”

              Both families turn and look at the two of them.

              “We’re sorry for the late greeting. We didn’t know you were here until Doctor Shih messages us about your at the hospital.” Said the man in his fifties.

              “Let’s go over there and talk.” Said Nichkhun. Siwon glance at Jessica before he walks with Nichkhun and the group to the corner of the nurse station.

              Tiffany’s dance team arrive and walks up to the family.

              Hoya approach Mr. Jung and Mrs. Jung with worries written all over his face, “Tiffany….how is Tiffany?” He asked.

              “The surgery was a success. But in the future, she might not be able to dance anymore.”

              “Wh—what do you mean?” said one of the team member.

              “She lost her left leg.”

              Shock by the new, Hoya lost control of his feet and weakly take a few steps back. He grabs on the couch for support as he looks at Mr. Jung.

              “Tiffany is no longer the same. She lost one leg in that accident.” Said Mr. Jung.

              “How?....How can this happen?” Hoya whispered in disbelief.

              “Where is she now?” Another member of the team asked.

              “She’s in a room now. The doctors and nurses are in there checking on her and set up the equipment.” Mr. Jung answered. “When you go in there, whether she’s awake or not, please support her. Give her all the energy she needs to continue to stay strong.”

              The team nods then lower head. Some try to hide their tear, while others were still in disbelief that something like this would happen to their lead dancer.

              In the corner of the nurse, Nichkhun and Siwon were talking to the group of men in high-class suits. “Mr. Horvejkul and Mr. Choi, we sincerely apologize for the late hospitality.” Said the leader of the group.

              “Don’t worry about it. I came her quietly anyway, not your fault.” Said Nichkhun.

              “Since you came, is there anything we can do for you?” The lead of the group asked.

              “It seems like you the families over there.” Said one of the men in the group.

              “Yes, I know. Their daughter just had a surgery.” Siwon answered.

              “Is it Ms. Jung.”

              Siwon nod.

              As Siwon and Nichkhun talk to the group of men in suit, Taeyeon eyes look over at Nichkhun. Curiosity and questions wonder in her head about Nichkhun’s status at the hospital. Though she does not understand why she pays attention to him, something about him draws her.  

              “I’ll take care of their bills.” Said Siwon. “Right now, I need you to let the nurses and doctor take special care of them.”

              “Yes, Mr. Choi.”

              Siwon looks to the side, where Jessica is sitting, making sure she still there in the waiting room. The group leaves, Nichkhun and Siwon walk back to the families five minutes before the nurses came. The nurses the Jung family and Tiffany’s dance team to the suite.  

              Siwon and Nichkhun follow the Jung’s family to the room, but they stay outside, giving the families a little privacy. Taeyeon enters the room hand in hand with Jessica as he moral support. Tiffany lay unconsciously on the bed. Jessica slowly looks from the cuts on Tiffany’s face to her right leg hiding under the blanket. Tears came pouring down her cheeks as she blames herself for the accident…blaming herself for her sister lost a leg.

              “My daughter……” Mrs. Jung trembles in tears as she held the unconscious Tiffany’s right hand. “How can this happen? How could God take away my daughter dream and future life this?”

              Jessica covers as she shed tears quietly.

              “Why?..... Why does this have to happen to her?” Mrs. Jung continues to sob as she holds Tiffany against her cheeks. 

              Jessica couldn’t take it any longer, the pain in her chest, and the tears flowing down as she looks away from Tiffany. She left the room, running down the hall to the elevator. Siwon chase after her. Taeyeon left the room and run after Jessica as well, but almost bump into a patient. She twists and trip on her own feet. Nichkhun quickly catches her by the arms and pull her toward him.

              “Are you okay?” Nichkhun asked, worriedly. 

              Taeyeon looks into his eyes as he helps her stand straight up. She let go of him and takes a couple steps away from him. She shyly slides her hair behind her left ear. “Thank you. I’m fine.”

              Nichkhun warmly smiles as he looks at her shy face. Taeyeon awkwardly looks at him for a few second then turn around and head towards the elevator. Nichkhun grabs her right hand and stops her halfway down the hall.

              “Wait. Give them some space. You don’t have to worry about her. My friend is with her.” He said, calmly.

              “He is?....”  

              “Choi Siwon, Mr. Jung friend and business partner.” Nichkhun answered her.

              Taeyeon takes a moment to think and recalled seeing him at Mr. and Mrs. Jung anniversary party. She heard about him from Jessica. Jessica often tells her most of the things she encounters in her life—from traveling to meeting new people in a different country has left a print in her head and heart. Now that Nichkhun mentioned it again, Siwon friend with Jessica’s family. She remembers everything that Jessica has said to her over the phone. A man that protected her, guided her in Paris, and now beside her and support her. She can’t help and curiously think about their relationship.

              Space out in her own world, Nichkhun walks up to her and stands in front of her. He carefully observes her face. Her beauty caught his full attention. A bright smile flashes across his face as he continues to hold her soft hand. A strand of hair slide down her face.  He lifts his hand and slides a strand of hair back to the side, clearing it from her beautiful face. His action startles her, brought back from her deep thoughts.

              “You space out.” He said. “What are you thinking about?”

              “Nothing.” She said. Her eyes drop down to his hand holding her hand. “Can I have my hand back?”

              Nichkhun let go of her hand, “I’m sorry.” He smiles warmly. “You should give her some time alone. Maybe he can help her.”

              Taeyeon looks out the window again. She feels uncomfortable leaving Jessica in Siwon’s hands to care, but somehow, she thinks he’s right. Maybe Siwon can help make Jessica feel better from the pain that she’s feeling. From her eyes, Jessica listens to him well. Taeyeon continues to space out in her deep thoughts again, Nichkhun smiles as he stands beside her and mesmerizes her beauty.

* * * * *

              Chasing after her from the fifth floor down to the main level of the hospital and out to the little park located on the right side of the hospital. Siwon reaches for her left hand—grab a hold of it—and stop her. He turns her around, sees her in tear, and pull her into his embrace.

Jessica buries her face in his chest, “It’s all my fault.” Her voice stumbles as the tears pour down her cheeks. “I should have told him no. I should have stopped him from telling her.”

              “Shhh….it’s okay.” Siwon said as he gently the back of her head. “It’s not your fault. None of this was meant to happen. It was all an accident.”

              “No. It’s all my fault that this happens. My sister lost a leg, Kris is still unconscious. Everything is my fault. I should have never come into this world.” Jessica continues to blame herself for Kris and Tiffany accident. “Everything would be better without me. I hate myself.”

              Siwon feels her pain, her heartache in him.  Just standing and letting her cry on his chest, he her hair lightly as if she was a pearl in his arms.

              “Without you, nothing will be better. No smiles, no dream, and no pure love.” He said, softly. “The accident was never your fault. Their tragic was not your fault. I know you won’t listen to anything I say. You will keep blaming yourself. But can you at least listen to me this once?” Siwon steps back two steps and looks at her. “I know you’re in pain right. I know your heartache. I know you just want to hide in a dark corner, hide from everyone. But no matter where you go, I’ll always be there for you. I’ll be your joker. I’ll be your entertainer, I’ll be your guide. I’ll be anything you want me to be to make you smile. I want you to feel that without you in this world, there won’t be me. There won’t be a smile like an angel. There won’t be a beautiful girl always dreaming and laughing with me. A beautiful girl loves to walk on the edge but is afraid of the height. A girl full of dream and story that can be turned into a book. A girl that will do anything to make her love ones smiles again. Where can I find a silly girl like her?” His words bring a weak yet soft smiles out of her as she looks at him. Siwon sighed in to relieve and smiles as his thumbs softly wipe her tears away. “Right now, your sister needs you. Your family needs you. You have to be strong for her…for them.”

              “And if I can’t.” Said Jessica.

              “Then I will be there, standing beside you, supporting you. I will be your energy. Remember what I said earlier at the park. I told you whenever you need me, I’ll always be there for you. All you got to do is press on that number and I’ll be right in front of you immediately.”

              “Are you my on-call?”

              Siwon shrugs his shoulders, “You can say that. As long as you don’t do anything stupid, I’ll be on-call whenever Ms. Jessica Jung needs me.”

              Moving closer to him, she wraps her arms around him and hugs him. “Thank you.” She said, softly.

              Siwon happily wraps his strong arms around her, returning her hug with love.

              Standing by the window on the fifth floor, Taeyeon saw everything—how he comforts her and made her smile at a time like this. Questions circles in her head, questions that left unanswered and confused to her as she looks at them. However, she knows that now is not a good time.  Jessica needed a friend, a good moral support that will walk with her through desperate time like this. She put the questions to rest and continues to stand by the window, watching them, and admire Jessica to have someone that cares about her deeply. She keeps watching them without noticing Nichkhun, who’s still standing behind her, looking at the Siwon and Jessica as well. He takes another glance at Taeyeon, who has focused all her attention on Jessica and Siwon, from the side. He notices how fair her skin tone is, red lips, and pretty eyes are. He’s usually never this attracted to a girl in life, especially a girl he barely knows and meets for the first time. He finds it quite interesting how he can’t take his eyes away from her, just standing beside her, and watches her from the side is satisfying for him.

* * * * *

The couple days after the accident….

           Families and friends visit Tiffany from time to time, however, leave with a sorrow face. Both Tiffany and Kris was still unconscious on the bed. Siwon comes by from time to time to check on them, comforting them as much as he can. What he worries the most is Jessica. Her pale and tiresome aches his heart. He tries everything to make her feel better and smiles again, even though he knows it will only work for a few hours. 

           Jessica and the maid enter Tiffany’s room with empty boxes in their hands. She put the boxes down on the floor and takes a look around the room. The barred hanging along against the full-length mirrors set against the wall. Her sister’s awards place on the table and shelves, and a picture of her dancing in the studio. Everything the room was filled with achievement, happiness, and her sister hard-work. Now, it is stored in the boxes away from her sister's eyes so that when Tiffany comes home, she wouldn’t be in pain.

            It was night, Jessica makes a trip to the hospital to visit Tiffany. Waiting for the elevator until it stops and the doors slide apart. She exits the elevator and walks to the left and down the hall to Kris’s room. She stands, hiding, on the side of the door after she sees Kris resting against the bedhead              

“How’s Tiffany?” Kris asked, worriedly.

           “She’s still in a coma.” Mrs. Wu answered.

           “Who’s with her?”

           “I believe her parent and Jessica is with her right now.”

           “Jessica…..” Kris whispered quietly to himself.

           “Did you said something?” Mrs. Wu asked.

           “No.” Kris answered, nervously. “I want to go see Tiffany.”

           “Now is not a good. You need to rest and recover first.” Said Mr. Wu.  

“I want to see her. I need to see if she’s okay or not.” Kris insists.

Wooyoung shook his head at Mr. and Mrs. Wu, signaling them to remain quiet.

            “Hyung, how about appa go check on them first? If Tiffany is awake, then he will come back and let you know. She needs to rest and so do you.” Said Wooyoung.

            “Yes, Wooyoung is right. You both need to rest. Maybe wait for a couple more day and then go visit her.” Said Mr. Wu.

Kris inhales and exhales uncomfortably as he looks at the blankets.

“Where’s my phone?” Kris asked.

            Wooyoung pulls of the drawer next to his bed and hands him his phone. Kris unlock his screen and search Jessica number. He sent her a message.

Jessica, who’s still standing outside, receive the message and read it quietly to herself.

“I didn’t tell her about us. I didn’t say anything to her yet. I’m sorry, Jessica.    –Kris”

After she finishes reading the message, she felt relieved and walks back to the elevator, taking it up to the fifth floor. She walks down the 300 hallway to her Tiffany’s room. Entering the room, she sees her dad sitting on the couch in a small living room and resting. She looks to her right to a small room with the door open. Tiffany was still in a coma. Mrs. Jung resting her head on the edge of the bed while holding onto Tiffany right hand. She enters the room quietly and walks up to the side of the room, reaching for Tiffany's other free hand that’s place above the blanket. She held it gently like a fragile rose.

              “Unnie, please get better.” Jessica whispered.

              Mrs. Jung wakes up from her nap and sees Jessica on the opposite side of the bed, holding onto Tiffany left hand. “You’re here.” She said.

              “Eomma. Why don’t you go home and rest? I’ll stay here with unnie.”

              “I’m fine. I want to be here when she’s awake. I have to make sure with my own eyes that she’s alright.”

              “Eomma, she will be fine. She’s strong. She knows we’re here for her.”

              Mrs. Jung flashes a weak smile. “I hope so.”  She said. “Did you clean her room like I ask you too. Put everything that’s related to dancing in a box and store away from her?”  

              “I did. Everything is put away. But I left the barred behind.” Said Jessica.

              “Why?”

              “The barred is the first she ever got that movement she became a dancer. The pool represents her energy, her dream, her passion and love for dancing. Taking away the barred is like taking away her dream, so I didn’t take it away. I want to her to stay strong. When she comes home, I want her to know that everything is still possible.”

              “Jessica is right.  The barred is her energy. Without it, she wouldn’t be able to reach back up again.” Said Mr. Jung.

              Mrs. Jung sighed. “Just as long as it does not bring her pain. That is all I care.”

Suddenly, Tiffany fingers movement shock Jessica. Jessica looks at Tiffany and sees her eyes move slightly, she immediately presses the red button located on the wall over the bed.

              “Eomma, Tiffany is awake.” Said Jessica.

              Mr. Jung, who heard her voice, quickly rush into the room. Doctors and nurses come running into the room.

              “Please wait outside.” Said one of the nurses.

              Mr. Jung pulls Jessica and Mrs. Jung out of the bedroom, waiting in the living room. The doctors did a few check-up on Tiffany. Mr. Wu walks into the room and sees the family waiting anxiously in the small living of the suite.

              “What’s wrong?” Mr. Wu asked, worriedly.

              “Tiffany is awake.” Said Mr. Jung. “The doctors and nurses are in there examining her. How is Kris?”

              “He’s conscious now. My wife and Wooyoung are with him.” Said Mr. Wu. 

The doctors walk out of the room, “Ms. Jung is conscious now. Her pulse is good. No sign of memory loss. But I like to warn you that her emotional state is not good. You can go in there now.”

              “Thank you, doctor.” Said the family.

              The doctors and nurses leave the suite. Mrs. Jung and Jessica walks into the room, and sees Tiffany awake and looking at them.

              “Tiffany.” Mrs. Jung calls out her name as she holds Tiffany’s right hand tightly. “How are you feeling?”

              Tiffany was quiet as she looks at Mrs. Jung, not knowing how to answer her.

              “Unnie…..”

              “My leg……” Tiffany said in a soft weak voice. “Where’s my leg?” Tears evolve and begin flowing down her cheeks. 

              “Tiffany….” Mr. Jung stuttered as he tries to find the right words to say to her.

              “Eomma…appa, where’s my leg? I can’t feel the other legs anymore.” She said as she moves her hand down to her left leg but stops at the knee. Her other half was gone. “My leg…”

              “Tiffany, everything will okay. We will find a way. I promise you.” Said Mrs. Jung.

              “How? How are you going to fix this?” Said the teary Tiffany. “How are you going to fix my lost leg?”

              “Tiffany, please stay calm.” Said Mr. Jung.

              “My leg is gone. My dreams are gone. My life is gone. How can I stay calm?” Tiffany lost control of herself as tear continues to pour down her cheeks. “Why am I still alive? I want to die.”

              “Tiffany.” Mrs. Jung embraces her tightly. “Please stop. It hurt me seeing you like this. You are my life, Tiffany. I can’t live without you.”

              “Eomma….I lost everything. I lost everything.” Tiffany grabs onto Mrs. Jung arms. “I want to die. I want to die.”

              The doctor enters the room with a nurse that carries a silver stainless tray. “Please move aside.” He said.

              Jessica moves aside and grab the latex tourniquet around her upper left arm, and then grabs the needle from the tray. He injects the needle just below the tourniquet band. The medicine induces her into sleep. The nurse carefully and gently place her back down on the bed.

              “Doctor, what did you give my daughter?” Mrs. Jung asked.

              “Sedative medicine. It helps promote calmness. Just let her sleep for a bit.” Said the doctor. “I will return later when she’s awake.”

              “Thank you, doctor.” Said Mr. Jung before the doctor bow and leaves the room.

              Jessica couldn’t take it anymore and runs out of the room. She bumps into Siwon. “Jessica.” Siwon looks at her worriedly.

              Jessica ignores him and runs out of the room. Siwon takes a look inside the room, seeing Mr. Jung and Mrs. Jung standing beside the bed with Mrs. Jung holding onto Tiffany right hand tightly.  Siwon runs out of the room and sees Jessica running down the hall to the stairway.

              “Jessica.” He calls out her name.

              Jessica continues to run and run. She runs out of the hospital into an available taxi waiting in the front. The taxi drives away. Siwon immediately runs to his car and chase after the taxi that she’s in. The taxi stop at the South end of Banpo bridge, Jessica give the driver cash and leave the taxi. She runs about 50 feet onto the bridge, grabs onto the metal bar and cries herself out.

              Looking at the Han river from the top of the bridge. Jessica walks around the bar to the edge of the bridge.

“This is all my fault. If it wasn’t because of my weak self, none of this would happen. If I didn’t give into my feeling, Tiffany would not have lost her leg…lost her dream…. lost her life. She wanted to die rather than live in a world where she can’t live her dream. How am I supposed to face her? How can I live with that? I’ve destroyed everything. I've taken away her dream......If she doesn't want to live. I don't want to live either."  As she walks along the river, her eyes drift away in the dark sky. 

Siwon parked his car and immediately went searching for Jessica. He runs and runs around the place, onto the bridge, just then he sees Jessica standing at the edge of the bridge looking down at the river.

              “Jessica!” Siwon shout.

 

To be continued…………………………………………………