Chapter Eleven: The Mysterious Man

Love You Like A Fool

              “Jessica!” The frighten Siwon shout. He runs as fast as he could to her. Jessica was on the edge of committing suicide. A hand reaches out to grab her and pull her back. It turns her body 180-degrees and she met a pair of angry eyes as it hold onto her shoulders. “What are you thinking!? Committing suicide?” Siwon shouts at her in anger. “I told you many time to not do anything stupid. I told you to stay strong. I told you that none of this was your fault. But you—you disappoint me.

              “What do you want me to do? Smile through the pain. Tell everyone that it was just an accident?” She shouts back in anger as tear continues to pour down her cheek. “You’re not me. You don’t know how painful this is. You don’t……” She utters in tears.

              Her words awaken him from the anger roaming inside of him. The other him has taken over just a second ago, the other him that he does not know exist in him. Looking at the tearful Jessica, he can’t help but felt guilty as he wipes her tears away.

              “I’m sorry. I’m sorry for yelling at you. I’m sorry for all the words I’ve said to you just now. I was scared. I lost myself just seeing you at the edge of the bridge. I’m sorry, Jessica.” He said in guilt, “I know you’re going through a lot thing. You’re worn out, but hiding is not the best solution. You may think everything is your fault, but it is not. You have to be strong….for your parent and for your sister. If you give up now, how will your parent be? How would they feel if another accident happens?” Jessica sorrow eyes look into his eyes as he continues to speak softly. “You have to stay strong. I know it’s a lot going right now if you need a shoulder…a hand, I’ll always be there to hold you up, lend you my shoulder to cry. Like I said before, I’ll be anything you need. All I want in return is you living well…smiling every day.”

              Jessica embraces him tightly as she continues to cry on his chest. “Siwon.”

              Siwon inhales and exhales as he holds her tight in his arms.

* * * * *

              Taeyeon enters the hospital with a basket of fruit from her parent. She walks through the crowded lobby making her ways to the elevator. Nichkhun walks out from an office and sees Taeyeon walking.

“Excuse me.” He said with a slight bow as a goodbye.

            The group of men in suit bow before Nichkhun hurriedly walks over to Taeyeon. Quietly, he walks up to her and stands beside her. Taeyeon, minding her business as she stares at the patterned floor, did not notice Nichkhun present beside her. He let out a soft smile as he looks at the pretty and cute Taeyeon interestingly looking at the shiny floor.

              “Hi, visiting the Ms. Jung?” Nichkhun asked.

              Taeyeon startles by his voice. She almost dropped the basket. The fast Nichkhun grab the basket before it hit the floor and carries it for her. Taeyeon reaches for the basket but Nichkhun moves it away from her.

              “Let me help you carry it.” He said with a warm smile.

“It’s okay. I can carry it myself.” She said, refusing his offer.

              Nichkhun takes a deep breath as he refuses to give it back to her. “You’re heading up to visit Ms. Jung, right?”

              Taeyeon nods. “Good. We’re going the same way then.” He said.

              She looks at him confusedly, “Do you know the Jung family?” Taeyeon asked, curiously.

              “Not really. But my friend knows them well. I just come to look for him.” He answered as he looks at her with charming eyes.

              Taeyeon gulp and nervously looks away, avoiding his eyes.  

              “I don’t remember introducing myself to you. I’m Nichkhun. What’s your name?”

              “I don’t we will meet again after today, there’s no need for introduction.” She said, giving him the cold shoulders. The elevator doors open, she steps inside.  

              Nichkhun was taken back by her words a bit. He nodded his head lightly, understanding what she meant, and enter the elevator as well. Nichkhun press the number ‘5’, the door close and the elevator begin gliding up. Grab onto her small purse hanging on the left shoulder, she plays with the shiny gold metal that connects the leather string to the purse. It was quiet in the elevator. Nichkhun wants to say something, but somehow, a feeling inside of tells him that whatever he says or ask, she won’t answer. Taeyeon slides a strand of hair behind her left ear. Nichkhun observe her closely as if he has never seen an angel in his life before. The elevator stop and the doors slide apart. Taeyeon exit first and then Nichkhun follow her to the room. She opens the door and sees Mr. Jung sitting on the couch facing another small room, look at Tiffany’s, who is still asleep. Mrs. Jung sat beside Tiffany, holding onto her left hand without taking her eyes off Tiffany.

              “Annyounghaeseyo samchon.” Taeyeon greeted Mr. Jung first with a mannerly bow. “Annyounghaeseyo imo.” She then greeted Mrs. Jung, who also kindly bow her head slightly in return.

              “Annyoung Taeyeon.” Mr. Jung greeted her and then look pass her. He sees Nichkhun standing behind her. “He is?”

              Nichkhun steps to the side and greet him with a bow. “Annyounghaeseyo Mr. Jung. I’m Nichkhun, Siwon’s friend.” He introduced himself.

              “I remember seeing you with him a couple days ago in the waiting room with us.” Said Mr. Jung.

              “Yes. I was here to visit my halmeoni.” Said Nichkhun.

              “You and Taeyeon are…?”

              “We’re not together.” Taeyeon immediately speak. “We just happen to bump into each other down there.”

              Nichkhun handed Mr. Jung a basket of fruits. “This is from her.” He said.

              “They’re actually from my parent.” Taeyeon said.

              Mr. Jung accepts the basket and places it on the coffee table. “Tell them I say thank you for me.” Said Mr. Jung.

              “I will.” She answered with a soft smile.

              A doctor with a couple nurses enters the room. They immediately greeted Nichkhun with a 90-degree bow the moment they see him.

              “Annyounghaeseyo Mr. Horvejkul.”

              “Annyounghaeseyo. Don’t mind me.”

              “Araso.” Said the doctor before he excuses himself into a small room.

Mrs. Jung walks out of the room, letting the doctor and nurses do their routine. She joins Mr. Jung in the living room.

“Annyounghaeseyo Mrs. Jung.” Nichkhun greeted her with a mannerly bow.

Nichkhun turns and sees the curious face on Taeyeon and Mr. Jung as they look at him.

              “If I’m not mistaken you must be Nichkhun Horvejkul, CEO of the hospital and the Horvejkul Enterprise.” Said Mr. Jung.

              Nichkhun blushes. “Yes, I am.”

              “Nice to finally meet you in person.” Said Mr. Jung with his hand out.

              Nichkhun gladly accepts his handshakes, “Nice to meet you too.”

              “You have a great reputation for such your age.”

              “Thank you.” Nichkhun slightly embarrassed as he looks at Mr. Jung.

              “How is Ms. Jung doing?” Nichkhun asked.

              “She’s awake, but was emotional so the doctor sedated her. Now she’s resting.” Said Mr. Jung.

              “You are?” Mrs. Jung questioned him as she looks at Nichkhun. “Are you her boyfriend?”

              Nichkhun was delighted by her words.

              “No. No, he’s not.” Taeyeon said, immediately. “He’s just a stranger.” She said without looking at him.

              The smiles on his face vanished.

              “He is Siwon’s friend. The CEO of the hospital and Horvejkul Enterprise.” Said Mr. Jung.

              “I heard a lot about you. Aren’t you the playful bachelor?” Mrs. Jung said with a question mark on her face.

              “Yobo.” Mr. Jung said as he gives her a signal to not speak so directly to Nichkhun.

              Mrs. Jung words make Taeyeon even more affirmative to steer away from him.

               “I’m sorry, Mr. Horvejkul.” Said Mr. Jung.

              “It’s okay. Please call me Nichkhun.” Nichkhun said in a calm manner. “The title is too big for me to carry. I have a playful character that is why Donghae and Siwon that give me that title.” He explained to them.

              “Are you here to visit Tiffany?” Mrs. Jung asked.

              “I’m actually here to look for Siwon, but it seems like he’s not. I’ll take my leave.” Said Nichkhun. “I hope Ms. Jung will get better soon.”

              “Thank you Nichkhun.” Said Mr. Jung.

              Nichkhun bow to Mr. and Mrs. Jung then glance at Taeyeon, who avoid eyes-contact, before he leaves the suite. The doctor and nurses walk out of the small room up to Mr. and Mrs. Jung.

              “She’s doing fine. No fever. Her pulse is normal. I’ll come back to check on her tomorrow. Do you have any question for me?” Said the doctor.

              “No, doctor. Thank you for your help.” Said Mr. Jung with gratitude.

              “Please give her the best medicine so that she can heal. You don’t worry about the fee. We’ll take care of it.” Said Mrs. Jung.

              “You don’t have to worry about them. The fees have been taken care off.” Said the doctor.

              Both Mr. and Mrs. Jung were shocked to hear that someone has taken care of their daughter hospital bill.

              “May I ask, who has taken care of the bill?” Mr. Jung asked.

              “It must be the Wu family.” Said Mrs. Jung. “They must have taken care of the fees out of guilt.”

              “Anniyo. It’s Mr. Horvejkul and Mr. Choi. They have taken care of yours and the Wu family bill.” Said the doctor.

              “Thank you, doctor.” Said Mr. Jung with a slight bow.

              The doctor and nurses leave the suite.

              Mr. Jung hissed as he smashes his right hand over his left. “If I knew in advance, I would have to say thank you when he was here.” Said Mr. Jung.

              “He looks very young to be so rich.” Said Mrs. Jung. “No wonder people called him the “Playful Bachelor”.”

              “Would you stop with the title. We don’t know him well enough to make any judgment. Maybe his friend was just playing around with him.” Said Mr. Jung irritated by his wife. “I believe he is the thirties this year.”

              “I’m just saying whatever on my mind. Why do you have to get angry at me?” Said Mrs. Jung, in a slight anger.

              “Because you made him uncomfortable.” Mr. Jung answered in a slight loud tone. “Anyway, we’re at the hospital and our daughter is resting. We need to keep quiet.” He said.

              Mrs. Jung ignores him and looks at the basket on the table. “Who are these from?”            

              “They’re from my parent.” Said Taeyeon.

              “So kind of them.” Said Mrs. Jung. “Please tell your mom that I’m sorry that I can’t join on her the trip to Tokyo.”

              “She understands.” Said Taeyeon. “How is Tiffany?”

“She is better now.” Mr. Jung answered. “But she’s having a hard time accepting the truth.”

“Everything takes time to heal as long as we don’t give up on her.”

Mrs. Jung flashed a warm smile as she looks at Taeyeon, “Yes, as long as we don’t give on her.”

“I’ll come back and visit her tomorrow. Bye samchon. Bye imo.” Taeyeon said She bowed before she leaves the room. She takes the elevator down to the main floor.

              Down on the main floor, as Nichkhun head towards the exit. A man in a grey suit, entering the hospital, approach him with a folder and a pen in his hands. He stops Nichkhun half-way through the hospital.

“Mr. Horvejkul, before you leave I need you to sign a few papers.” Said the man.

“Why didn’t you hand it to me early at the meeting?”

“I’m sorry, we just got this file from German and they request immediate action.”

            Nichkhun takes the folder from his hand and carefully read it. His eyebrows narrow as he faces turn from calm to anger. He closes the folder and looks at the man in a suit. “How can this happen?” Nichkhun said in a fierce tone but not too loud. “When?”

              “It was just this morning. The factory was burned and along with a few files. It seems like someone has been watching us.” The man continues to update Nichkhun about the burned factory in Germany.

              “Was it encrypted? Were we able to get the copies of the files?” Nichkhun asked. The man lowers his head. Nichkhun inhales and exhales deeply as he looks at the man. “Retrieved the files. I don’t care what you do or how. I want the files recovered.”

              “Yes, Mr. Horvejkul.” Said the Man.

              Nichkhun signals him to leave before he takes out his phone and dials Siwon’s number. The elevator stopped on the main floor. Taeyeon steps out and walks toward the exit. She pauses for a moment when she sees the anxiously Nichkhun on the phone as he walks toward the exit as well. Walking in the front, Nichkhun sees a familiar figure dress in dark color with a cap pulled down to his eyes level.

You.” Nichkhun whispered as he glared at the man.

            The man hurriedly out of the hospital after his eyes met Nichkhun’s eyes. Nichkhun ends the call and immediately give a chase after the mysterious man in dark clothes without a second thought. Taeyeon hurriedly follows Nichkhun and sees the man get in the taxi and the driver drives the car away.

            Nichkhun stop after a short chase, “Ah!” he let out his frustration. He turns around and sees Taeyeon standing just about ten feet away from the hospital. Nichkhun looks at the other direction then back at Taeyeon again. He walks up to her.

            “What are you doing out here? I thought you were going to be with the Jung family a little longer.” He said.

              Taeyeon did say anything but just looks at him and then pass him, the taxi was long gone. Nichkhun looks at her, waiting for her to answer him. She looks back at him again.

              “What is it?” He asked, confusedly.

              She stares at him deeply for a moment, though she could not understand why she keeps staring at this man in front of her, but her head fills with questions whether this man is a good person or a bad person with full of secret and danger.

              “Taeyeon?”

              Taeyeon was taken by surprise, “How did you know my name?”

              “Mr. Jung mentioned your name.” He answered. “Are you heading home?”

              Rather than answering his question, Taeyeon wanted to him about what happened earlier. She wanted to know why he was chasing after that person, but she didn’t. To her, he was just a stranger and will probably never bump into each other again, and so, she put all that thought to rest. “Bye.” She said, ignoring his question and walks to the parking lot

              “Wait—Tae…” Nichkhun tries to call her, but somehow, he could not form a word.

              Taeyeon enters her car, start the engine, and drive out the parking lot without looking at Nichkhun, who’s standing at the main entrance and looking at her. She enters the road and drives away from the hospital.

               “Am I that frightening? Why does she not like me?” He whispered to himself as he stands alone under the light.

 

To be continued…………………………..