Chapter Two: I'll be your guide

Love You Like A Fool

           Consecutively running, they keep going—chased by the group. Panting and exhausting, Jessica slows down her pace. Siwon struggles to resumed his speed. He stopped—turned around—and looked at her. Seeing her puffing heavily, chest rising up and down, her lips were dry. Siwon turned around, ensuring if they are safe or not. Like paddle to the gold mine, the group is still after them. Siwon briskly pulled her into a valley.

            “Stay.” He ordered her.

            Jessica blankly looked at him.  She now faced his back with him still holding onto her hand. The group has finally come to a stop and block the exit.

            “Le marié ne doit pas être en marche autour, de revenir avec nous.” Said the leader of the group.

            “Que diriez-vous pas?” No accent, Siwon respond fluently in French.

            “S'il vous plaît ne faites pas ce plus dur pour nous.”

            Siwon inhale deeply, shutting his eyes for a second before he open them with a smile, “Allons-y ce à travers la dure.”

            Jessica was just clueslessly as she stood behind him and listened to the conversation. The group spread, making a circle, a total of eight men surround Siwon and Jessica. Siwon let go of Jessica—take a step toward the group with his hand fold in a ball.

            Jessica grabbed Siwon before he could take another step. “Wh—what is going on?” Jessica stuttered frightenly. “Where are you going?”

            Siwon smiles and cut the left side of her face with his other free hand. “Just stay okay?” He said. “I’m not going anywhere.”

            Unconditionally, she nodded her head and stood by the wall. Siwon turned around, facing the group. He took a step at time then stop, waiting for them to approached first. Instinct correct, one from the group runs to Siwon with his fist in the air. Siwon grabbed his fist—stopping it from hitting his face then knee the man in the stomach. Before he dodged the next man punches and swung his arm into the guy neck. One after another, men kept charging at Siwon. Siwon ducks all the punches and kicks as much as he could, knocking his enemy down with all his strength. Few remain on the ground, aching and groaning in pain. Three stood and breathes heavily as they glared at Siwon. The right man dashed to Siwon—swung his leg up and aim at Siwon stomach. Siwon dodge to the side and elbow the man in the back to his neck. The man in center hastily tackles him to the wall.

            “Ah!” Jessica squealed loudly.

            Siwon grunt in pain a little before elbowing the man on his back and knee him in the jaw. Able to release himself, Siwon did a spin high kick in the man face. The man tumbled to the ground instantly. The third man strikes Siwon a punch. Siwon grabbed his wrist and push him aside—unaware that he’s pushing the man to Jessica with full force. Stiff standing there in terror, Jessica covered her face as if she’s ready for the pain. Siwon quickly grabbed the man back—lifted him in the air—and threw him to the other of the valley with his strength. The first man, grabbed a wooden stick near the trash bin and swung it at Jessica, knowing she’s his weakness. In shock, Siwon reach his right hand out for her, grabbed her hand, and pulled her to him as he move to front. He blocked the stick and quickly kicked the man in his ball. Jessica eyes widen in shock. Siwon grabbed the stick and pulled the man to him. He lifts his leg up, kicking the man in the ball. All men are now on the ground, groaning in pain. Siwon hands trembles from the previous hit. It hurt him, put him in pain. The men wobbly stand on their feet and slowly retreat several paces before disappeared to their eyes. Immediately, Jessica grabbed his left wrist, accidentally on the spot he was hit.

            “Ah.” Siwon whimpered in pain.

            Jessica turns Siwon around and pulls his sleeves up. Red marks from Siwon elbow down to his wrist. “Are you okay?” She concernly asked.

            Siwon drew his arms back—hiding it behind his back. “I’m fine.” He said as he looked in her pure concern eyes for him. The soft smiles on his face as he gazes at her beautiful round eyes are visual as if a spell has strived his heart.

            “This is not fine. We ran for miles. You fighting those men earlier and now your hurt.” All the anger rose up like a little child complaining to their parent. “Let find you a hospital.” Jessica inhales and exhales angrily with her arms crossed against her cheek.

            Unknowingly happy by her anger, he slipped a smiles and trying to get her attention. She ignored him, looking to the side. Siwon moved his head from right to left; he cupped her face, holding it still. “I’m fine, really. There’s no need for the hospital. Anyway, where were you planning to go before I bump into you?” He asked.

            Jessica froze for a second as her heart skip a beat the moment he cupped her face. Her cheeks burning red as she stares into his eyes. The staring games begin until Siwon felt the silent between becoming awkward. Lightly moving his head lower and closer to her, deeply looking into her eyes as if she was contaminate. He was getting a little worry just seeing her still and speechless.

            “Jessica.” He called her softly.

            Her soul and mind are back in her body. Blinking a couple times, she notice how closed they are—with only one inch before their lips touch. Jessica take a couple step back and nervously yet awkwardly looked at the ground.

            “Are you okay?” Siwon puzzled by Jessica action.   

            “I’m fine.” She awkwardly looked around and quickly spotted the famous Eifel Tower. “Let’s go to the Eifel Tower. I always wanted to see it myself.” Said Jessica.

            Siwon smiles—turn around—looked at the tower just three miles away. “I’ll take you.” He said. Grabbed her hand, drag her along with him. They begin the way to the Eifel Tower.

            “Wa—wait. What about your arms?” Jessica worriedly asked.

            “Don’t worry about it.” Said Siwon happily.

            From one street to another, they keep walking as if they have not been chase or fight with the men. Jessica was still worried about him—wanting to take him to the hospital instead, but soon became easily distracted by the beautiful Wells and statues nearly on every street. Couples freely kissing passionately, holding hand, and embracing in public. Man are singing, playing instrument, and entertaining the people out in the street. Music played loudly in public. It was a beautiful scene. She was awe. Finally, she feels her feet no longer moving. Siwon have stopped and smiles at Jessica.

            “Here it is. The Eifel Tower.” Said Siwon. “From the bottom.”

            Looking up, indeed they were at the bottom of the Eifel Tower. Jessica was astonished. She could literally close .

            “It’s bigger than I expected to be.” Said Jessica admirably.

            “Do you want to go up?” Siwon asked.

            “We can?”

            Siwon nodded and grabbed her hand. He pulled her with him to the booth near by. Suddenly, Jessica stopped. Siwon turned and the fear on her face.

            “What’s wrong?” He asked.

            “I’m scared of height.” Jessica voices were nearly a whisper.

            Siwon lightly chuckles. “Okay, then is there any other place you want to see or go? He said

            “The Wells and ponds, lake, rivers, ocean, but I can go by myself.” Said Jessica. “You don’t have to me.”

            “It’s okay. My pleasure.” Siwon delightedly said.

            “Why?”

            “Why what?”

            “We just met.” Jessica inquisitively said. “We are just stranger.”

            Siwon exhale deeply as he looked around. He spotted the big pond just down south from where they are. “ Lets’ just said it’s my treat since this is your first time here in Paris and I’ve nearly ruined it.” He said. Holding her hand again, he pulled her with him to the Pond.

            Jessica simply follows him. Looking at the back of him, Jessica felt a save warm feeling rushing in her. She is happy, truly happy for the first time in since Kris and Tiffany have declared they’re dating. No strange have held her hand for so many times and long as him. He let go of her hand once the reach the pond. Jessica walk closer to the pond—step onto the stone.

            Siwon quickly and worriedly rush to her. “Be Careful.” He grabbed both of her hands and held it tightly.

            Jessica smiles as she walked around the pond. Siwon followed closely behind without letting go of her hands.

            “This pond is deep.” Said Siwon, hoping she was get off.

            Jessica simply smiles, “This I’m not afraid.”

            Siwon confusedly smiles at her, “Why? You said you’re scare of height. This pond is deep, you can drown if you fall.” He said.

            “I know.” Jessica answered. “I like castles, walking at edge of the pond, lakes, and ocean, but I’m afraid of height. The top of the Eifel Towel is an off zone, too high for me.”

            Siwon modestly nodded his head. He slightly cocked his head to the side as he walked with her around the pond.

            “What?” Jessica asked after nothing his weird face expression.

            “Nothing.” He gave a short answered.

            “No you’re hiding something from me. Tell me.” She persistently asked. “I want to know what you’re thinking.”

            “You’re afraid of height, but not drowning. You like castle, but if go to the top of the castle, it will be too high and you will be afraid. Walking at edge of the pond that is deep, high chance of falling and drowning, you’re not afraid. You have an interesting personality.”

            “True.” Jessica admitted. She stopped. Through her smiles, it was full of praise and amazed how he guessed it all correct. It was as if he was some mind reader or fortuneteller.  “How did you know I would be afraid at the top of the castle?”

            “Just a guess, actually you’re not that hard to read.” Said Siwon.

            “Really?”

            Siwon nodded, he opened his mouth, ready to speak again, but his phone rang. Using his right hand to hold and answered the call while his left remain tangles with her. “Hello?” He answered in English.

            “It’s me, Donghae.” Donghae said through the phone. “I can’t make it to your wedding. My son is running a fever and is in the hospital.”

            “It’s okay.” Siwon spoke in Korean. “I’m trying to escape right now. This is so against my well.”

            “It’s your life, your choice.” Said Donghae. “I have to go now. Bye.”

            “Bye.” Siwon said before hanging up the phone. He looked back at Jessica, who is staring at him. “Do you want to go anywhere else?” he asked.

            Jessica exhaled and looked around the place. “I want to try their street food.” She said.  

            “Okay. Since you’re skinny, my treat.” Siwon agree. He happily pulled her off the stone and away from the edge. Letting go of her hands, she lost that insecure again as she followed across the street. Beginning at the top of the street, Siwon and Jessica begin to eat from one shack to the next. Siwon keep paying and feeding her, making her happy. Jessica could not erase the smiles off her face.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

            Three hours later, Jessica was back at the hotel. She entered the room happily and up to the bed. Throwing her handbag aside, she falls flat on the bed. Tiffany walked up to her—sat beside her.

            “What with the smiles on your face?”  Tiffany asked.

            “Paris is beautiful. The Eifel Tower is so tall. The music and food are so good.” Jessica listing all the happy moment she had with Siwon.

            “Eat? You ate already? What did you eat? France foods are expensive.” Said Tiffany shockingly.

            “The street foods. They’re good. I met a friend here in Paris, so he paid for my food. He is very nice, touring me around the Golden Triangle of Paris.” Jessica jovially said.

            “A friend? Who? Do I know that “friend” of yours?” Tiffany curiously asked.

            Jessica shook her head, “No. He is Siwon. I think a mid-age man, very nice, friendly, and protective.” On the last word, her voice became soft as she remembered the red marks on his arms.

             Tiffany nodded, “It look like you know him for quite a while.” She said.

            “Actually no, we just met today.” Jessica said.

            Jessica answered surprised her. Just met today yet Jessica have understand as if she have known him for years. Tiffany was left speechless for a moment till a couple knocks echoes the room. Tiffany went to answer the door. Kris stood patiently smiling at Tiffany then glance over at Jessica, who is still in bed and looked at the ceiling.

            “Ready to go eat?” Kris asked.

            Tiffany nodded, “But one will not be joining us tonight.” She said.

            Kris cocked his head and looked at her blankly. “Huh?”

            “Jessica met a friend and have ate already.” Tiffany turn and gaze at Jessica with smiles.

            “A friend? Who?” Kris asked.

            “Siwon. She went on a date with a mid-age man today.” Said Tiffany.

            Kris stormed into the room up to the bed; he unhappily looked at her. “You went with a stranger?” he said.

            Jessica sat up and nodded her head. “Yes. He is friendly and kind. He gave me a tour around The Golden Triangle of Paris. I had fun.” She smiles.

            Kris inhaled and exhaled deeply with his hands rest on his hip. “This is not fun, Jessica. This is serious. You in a strange place, you don’t go out with stranger, especially a mid-age man.” He yelled at her.

            Jessica pouted in anger. “He is not a stranger. He protected me today. He kept me entertain and happy. Without him, I would have been lost.” She raised her voice.

            “Protect you?” Tiffany in shock walks up to her. “What happen? How come you didn’t tell me this part? Are you hurt?”

            “No. I’m not hurt. He is hurt.” Said Jessica. “I didn’t want to tell you this because you would react like what you are right now. I really don’t want to talk about this right now. I’m safe and sound, that matter.”

            Tiffany sighed. “Okay, we won’t, but next time, please let me know if something like this happen again.” She made an agreement with Jessica.

            “Okay.” Jessica agreed.

            Kris was still not satisfied with Jessica answered. He want to go deeper, more detail. He want to know what happen, and the fact that he’ not liking the idea of her going on a date with a strange angers him. Tiffany grabbed Kris right arm, shaking it a couple to times to get his attention. Kris turn his head to her, she gave him a smiles.

            “Lets’ go.” Said Tiffany. She looked back at Jessica, “Do you want me to bring you back anything?” she asked.

            Jessica shook her head, “No, I’m really full. I think I’ll just change and rest.”

            “Okay. I’ll be back in two hours.” Tiffany assures her.

            Jessica warmly smiles before Kris and Tiffany walk to the door, exiting the room. She falls back to her bed, laying there and looking at the ceiling for a moment before she takes out her cellphone.

            “I forgot to ask him his number.” Jessica sighed. “Hopefully one day I can pay him back.” Smiling softly, she closed her eyes—resting for a moment, but slowly drift to dreamland. Quietly and peacefully sleep on the queen size bed.

 

To be continue……………….

Translation: 
Le marié ne doit pas être en marche autour, de revenir avec nous. = The groom shouldn’t be running around, come back with us. 
Que diriez-vous pas? = How about no?
S'il vous plaît ne faites pas ce plus dur pour nous. = Please don’t make this any harder for us.
Allons-y ce à travers la dure. = Let’s do this the hard way.