The Summer Night

Yunri's Short Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

That boy is everything I've ever wanted

- Yuri

 

 

I was only nine that summer when I first met him. He was two years older than me. The moment my eyes landed on him, I couldn’t look away. We held each other gaze long before the corner of his mouth lifted up a bit and then he was disappeared into the darkness of forest. I sat beside the fire on the hard wood, wondering whether I should follow him or not. He never showed up for the rest of the party.

 

It was only nine o’clock when I excused my self. I said to my teacher I was exhausted. She let me leave. I took my bicycle. It only took fifteen minutes to reach home and my hometown was a safe place even for kids to hanging around at night.  I paddled my bike calmly, enjoying thousand of stars above my head. It was so peaceful. The summer breeze blew wisp of my hair. I was about to close my eyes when someone shouted behind me.

 

“Hey!”  

 

I stopped paddling and turned around. “What?!”

 

His figure shadowed by the dark. I couldn’t see his face but I know that he was tall. Strangely, I could feel that he meant no harm. I kept waiting for him to talk as silent stretched between us. Suddenly, he shook his head.

 

“Hey, come on tell me!” I encouraged him.

 

Slowly and hesitantly, he stepped out of shadow and I blinked in surprise. I felt my lips stretch into big smile, though I didn’t know why I smiled. He didn’t seem offended with my smile as he approached me.

 

“I need a ride to go home.” He said as he stopped right beside me.

 

I climbed down my bicycle and held it for him. I felt so grateful that my dad had picked me a bike with back seat. “You paddle and I sit behind.”

 

He blinked at me as if he couldn’t believe that I was just giving him a ride. Maybe he thought I would decline him. He smiled down at me in silent gratitude. I chose to sit on sideways so that I could sneak my arm around his waist. He seem didn’t mind with it. When he began to paddle, my mind worked hard to start conversation.

 

“Do I know you?” I asked flatly as I looked up to the sky.

 

He mocked a sound at me. “You don’t know me and you gave me a ride?”

 

“Hey! You should be thankful.” I muttered sullenly. “Come on, do I know you?”

 

“No. But I know who you are.” His answer laced with amusement. “You’re Dr. Sang Woo’s daughter.”

 

I rolled my eyes. Of course everyone would know me. Dad was so famous in town. “Yeah right. What’s your name?” He fell silent. I felt the muscles in his stomach stiffen. Tension radiated within him.

 

“Does my name feels important for you?”

 

I spread my curling fingers on his stomach so that my palm was wide open. “Yes. Please tell me otherwise I won’t be able to sleep.”

 

He took a deep breath and my palm on his stomach shifted along the movement. “It’s Yunho.”

 

I tightened my grip on his stomach. “Well, hello new friend. My name is Yuri.”

 

“I’m not your friend.”

 

“You will be.”

 

Yunho didn’t answer.

 

“Do you like to read?” I asked again. “I really like to read. I have hundred books –thousand maybe – on a big shelf.  It’s my collection. You can borrow it if you want. Just come to my home, alright?”

 

“I haven’t answered the question.” He said amusedly.

 

We drove to Yunho’s home first. From the opened curtain, the lights were all on. Music was overheard from the street. There was a party in his house. Yunho stopped the bicycle but we didn’t slide down. Instead we stared at the house, mine with curiosity and Yunho’s with shadowed emotion.

 

“Looks like your parents held a party.” I said carefully, concern about the way he gazed at his house.

 

“It’s my dad.” He said silently. “I’ll paddle you home. I can walk later.”

 

Even though I was so glad at the idea, I didn’t want to burden him. “Are you sure?”

 

He didn’t answer and just started paddling again. Later, I found out that my home was not that far from Yunho’s. Yunho kindly offered to put my bicycle into the garage. I smiled up at him as he walked out and closed the door.

 

“Thanks.” I said. He stopped right in front of me. Since Yunho was tall for his age, I must to look up.

 

His lips twitched. He patted my head gently. “It’s me who should say thanks. Thanks Yuri.”

 

“Hey, next week Mom is having open house party. Will you come?” I asked hopefully. “Everyone is coming. There will be a lot of cookies.” I said convincingly. And I didn’t care that Yunho was not five years old boy.

 

“I’ll come if I free.” He walked away and stopped at the fence. “Don’t be so hopeful Yuri.”

 

But I knew that he would come. I smiled at his back. I told my mom right away that night. She and dad seemed surprise but not in the bad way. Mom smiled ruefully as she recounted her encounter with Yunho. Mom told me that Yunho was only having his dad. She thanked me for being so mindful and I told her and dad that Yunho was my friend now. I liked him because he was a good boy.

 

“Sweetheart I’m glad that you invited him. I only hope that you won’t see him as a charity.”

 

I shook my head. “No mom, I truly like him. He is nice.”

 

Mom smiled at me. As usual I could see an angel there. Mom was such a beauty. Every time she smiled, people would lose their breath. “Alright. Time to sleep sweetie.”

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

I was standing next to mom arranging plates of cookies. Mom knew I was worry because I kept looking past the street. Around twenty minutes later, mom nudged my arm. “He’s coming.” I looked up and instantly smile plastered on my face.

 

“I’ll go get him.” I marched off to the street where Yunho was leaning to the tree. He looked so good in his blue t-shirt and faded jeans. “Hey, you came.”

 

“I’m just passing by.”

 

I ignore his answer “I made cookies for you. Come on.” I took his hand and led him to my mom. When we stepped inside the lawn, people were all staring at us, no him, as if they saw disease. I ignore them. “Do you like apple tart? I made some with mom this morning.”

 

Yunho didn’t answer. His hand tightened on my hand. I should have paid more attention to him.

 

“Yunho, this is my mom and dad.” I announced once we reached their table. 

 

“Hello. Come sit down with us.” Dad patted his back in friendly way, as if he was talking to man around his age instead of teenager.

 

“Thank you Sir.” Mom smiled beautifully at him. Apparently Yunho wasn’t immune to mom’s beauty as he was staring in awe at mom. I seated my self beside Yunho, across from mom and dad.

 

“What do you want to eat?” I asked him because he was just staring at his empty plate. I glance at my parents and found them encouraging me. “Uhm I’ll choose it for you.”

 

I took his plate and filled it high with food I thought he might like. I also gave him a can of cola. Mom seemed pleased with my choice. When Yunho seemed hesitant, my dad began his secret magic. He asked Yunho about boys’ stuff. Seconds later, they engaged in serious discussion about engine and sport he barely recognized me when I gave him his second cola. I rolled my eyes and mom stifled a laugh.

 

Thanks to dad, lunch went smoothly for Yunho. “Mom we’ll go inside to take books Yunho wants to borrow.”

 

“Alright sweetie.”

 

“Your parents okay with it?” He asked in disbelieve as we stepped inside the house.

 

“The books are mine. I took the responsibility of it. Besides, I’ve already read most of them. They won’t be like to stay untouched in the shelf.”

 

“How do you know it?”

 

“I can feel it.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter