In Love With Neighbor

Yunri's Short Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

They just can't deny their feelings

 

 

Yuri is a slipshod woman, she knows that. Not that she intentionally doing that. It is part of her nature, the way she is. Her dog, Hani, is just the same. They both are really fit out. But it doesn’t mean people despise them, in fact, people love them. They are accepted everywhere they go, in this small lovely town.  She lives in apartment with her dog. She knows all her neighborhood in the building. She, even, regularly makes cookies every weekend for all of them. In return, they love the darling girl and really protect her until one day they set a plan for her future.

 

“Darling, where are the cookies?” Mrs. Park, the elder resident in the building arranges the flowers in Yuri’s dinning room.

 

“Just for seconds.” Yuri answers from her kitchen. “Uhm, are you sure he will like it? I mean he sounded so uninterested about this party.” Yuri recalled her phone call with the man who will occupy the apartment across her. He sounded all business-like.

 

“Just wait and see dear. He is not that bad. He just, well how to describe it –stolid”

 

Yuri makes a face knowing Mrs. Park cannot see it. Actually, Yuri will describe him as a rude, arrogant, and selfish. “Sure.” She mumbles politely.

 

Half an hour later he comes. The residents has assembles into her place and when the bell rings, they usher her to open the door. The man is standing there with hands in pockets. Yuri tries really hard not to scowl and instead forcing rigid smile on her face. The man is eyeing her up and down with skeptical look.

 

“You look awful. Stop pretending to smile.” He comments flatly.

 

Her smile falls. How dare he? She has put her best dress to welcome him and all he said is she look awful? “At least I tried to be friendly.” She retorts. “Get in.”

 

Jung Yunho sighs heavily. He hates party, but he has no other choice. It is, after all, his aunt idea. “Sorry Kid, I didn’t mean it.” He mumbles low as he walks past Yuri.

 

‘Kid’? Did he just call her ‘kid’? But when Yuri is about to snarl back, Mrs. Park is behind her hugging him.

 

“Boy, I miss you. How’s your daddy doing?” She pats his back lovingly.

 

The man is hugging her back. “Dad is fine Aunt. He hopes you will pay him a visit.”

 

Hold on, Yuri thought. Her jaw drops. So they are family. No wonder Mrs. Park is excited about this. “You lie to me!” Yuri interrupts.

 

Mrs. Park pulls out and frowns at Yuri. “About what dear?”

 

“He is your nephew. You never told me.” Yuri says accusingly.

 

“Did I?” Then the old woman waves her hand dismissively. “I think I forgot. Now, now, where are the cookies?” She asks to none in particular. “Yuri made the cookies for you. You’ll love it. Just you wait.” She pats Yunho’s arm before disappear to kitchen.

 

Don’t know what to do; Yuri follows Mrs. Park to kitchen sullenly. She is just about to hate this man, but cannot after knowing the fact. The party goes well except for few occasions when she stepped on his shoes three times, spilled her drink on his sweater, and nudged him on the ribs pretty hard. She grimaces apologetically. Everyone seems happy about Yunho’s arrival except her. They compliment him about his job. Well, they adore him. Not that she jealous and feels insecure.  But hey, she feels like betrayed. How come they all know him very well? She is busy with her thoughts when he plops down beside her on the couch.

 

“Hey kiddo, don’t be upset.” He says casually. “I’m forgiving you about my bad luck.”

 

Yuri frowns at him in annoyance. “Look mister, I am not kid or kiddo. I am 24 years old.”

 

Yunho turns to eyeing her up and down skeptically. “Don’t try to fool me.” For him, she looks like 19 years old. She has odd sense of fashion even though she has this ‘comfortable’ air around her. “And you are so much trouble in one day.”

 

Her frown changes into glare. “I said sorry and you said you forgive me.” Yuri stares at the blue spot on his sweater and winces.

 

“Okay at least I’m not dead, yet.” He sips his beer, ignoring her. “Your dog,” He points at the corner. “He looks pathetic in that shirt you put on him.”

 

“It’s ‘she’ and it’s not a shirt. It’s a dress.”

 

“Ups, sorry. She looks like ‘he’.”

 

Yuri rolls her eyes. “This conversation is ridiculous. Of course she looks like ‘she’.”

 

From the dinning room, Mrs. Park grins with other matrons. Their plan is working.

 

When everyone is excuse them self, Yuri sighs in relief. She holds her door open when Mrs. Park and Yunho walk out. She beams at Mrs. Park before then stares blankly at Yunho, and then wince when her eyes lock with his sweater.

 

“Thank you darling for the party, you are an angel.”

 

Yunho snorts behind her aunt. They ignore him.

 

“It’s nothing. I’m glad I can help.” She smiles then frowns. “Look Mr. Jung, I’m really sorry for ruin your sweater. I offer my self to clean it.”   

 

Mrs. Park makes a disapproval sound. “Forget about formality. He is Yunho for us. And about his sweater, you’re very kind to offer dear.”

 

Yunho let out another snort. But finally letting Yuri to clean his sweater, not because her kindness but because she ruined it so it is her responsibility.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Another week passes and they get along pretty well. ‘Sufficient’ is if Yuri define it, minimum encounters and minimum interactions. Occasionally they have little chat when Yuri came over to give him cookies. One thing Yuri can’t deny, Yunho is breathtakingly gorgeous. But it’s not her time for romance.

 

“What do you think about Yuri?”

 

 Yunho chokes on his coffee at his aunt’s question. He sends wary look at his aunt across him. “Pathetic girl and weird but pretty lovely.” Safe answer, he thought.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter