Crosswalk

I Didn't Like His Face
The day started off as usual.  The sun rose slowly burning off some of the clouds while you walked outside.  Done with another shift at the hospital.  The early morning enough to make you wish you weren't tired.  The cold seeped in even as the sun rose higher into the sky.  Buildings blocking the warmth from spreading too far, so you pulled on your jacket.  Shoving your hands into your pockets, fingertips brushing against the hard plastic of your phone.
 
You pulled it out switching it on.  You took in your surroundings as you waited for the animation to disappear, there were the usual amount of people out at this hour.  A few of the staff stopping at a food truck for coffee.  Some family members waiting out a long night.  Everyone was refueling by soaking up whatever sunlight they could get.  You did the same stretching your arms up over your head.  The phone in your hand vibrating as you followed through with a stretch behing your back.
 
Spam filled part of your inbox.  You swiped it away as you scrolled.  Notifications popping up as you attempted to read your messages.  You had to backtrack before finding one from Min.   He had texted you soon after you went on shift.  You always left your phone turned off in your locker.  
 
"Hi, if you're not working maybe we could have dinner?"  You smiled that he had tried.  Only you were working and it was a few hours too late.  
 
"Sorry, I was working. Just got off going home to rest."  You hit send.  The little envelope whooshed away and you slipped the phone back into your pocket.
 
The air reminded you that you could still enjoy part of the day.  Deciding to walk, you headed in the direction of a market.  You would hop on the subway and get off to find fresh produce and fish.  It was little after six, you could be home to surprise your mother with groceries to make breakfast.  
 
"Taesun!" the voice coming from behind you. On instinct you whipped around, expecting an emergency needing more hands.
 
It was Jinho.  He was jogging towards you.  Annoyed at your gullibility, you headed off again.  Sadly, the pause was all he needed to gain ground.  He was next to you in a few seconds.  
 
"Where are you going?" he asked.  His breathing irritatingly even after rushing to catch up with you.  Glaring at the ground, you squared your shoulders ready to deal with him.
 
"Home," you answered.  One word was all he would get from you.  You increased your pace, hoping that he would take a hint.  Sadly, he intended to bother you until you lost it.
 
"I can take you," he said.  Holding up his car keys to show you that he would drive.  You laughed.  
 
"As if I would get in a car with you," you said before reaching out to press the crosswalk button.  
 
"Won't you let me explain? You shut me out and you don't even know what happened?" Jinho said.  His voice shifting as he tried to keep his emotion in check.  You stared at him, he wasn't getting loud but softer.  His voice pitchy as he pleaded you with his eyes to give him a chance.
 
"No, it doesn't matter, because I have moved on. If you wanted this to work, then you had months to talk, but you didn't," you told him.  Quickly crossing the street before the light changed, or at least you tried. 
 
An arm slipped around your waist pulling you back onto the sidewalk.  Angry you attempted to land a hit but you couldn't.  You were too close to the person holding onto you.
 
"Stop, Taesun, it's me. Sungmin," he added in case you didn't recognize his voice.  He wasn't sure you would since it had only been a few times you'd met.
 
"Sorry, you can let go now," you said.  Embarrassed that he had caught you in this situation, again.  You trying not to lose control around Jinho.
 
"It's not like you could hurt me," he said teasing you.  You looked up at him wondering at his easy smile.
 
"What are you doing here?" you asked him.  He smiled ignoring Jinho's presence entirely.
 
"I called, your mother told me when you would be done," he explained.  You gaped at him. 
 
"You called my house?" you whispered in shock.  He nodded smiling again only this time it was tinged with embarrassment at having been found out.
 
"Yes, well, I wanted to see you," he said.  Directly because he had no other way to say it.
 
"Oh, I, um, I was heading to the market," you said feeling your face flush.  He was honest and you could get used to that.  Seeing that Jinho was not exactly the best case for honesty.  You could remember a number of times when he lied to you, not just about the other woman.
 
"I noticed, but now I'm here to stop you from walking into traffic," he said smiling.  You blushed fiercely knowing that you were grateful that he had saved you.  
 
"Thank you for that, I was---" you started.  He nodded in Jinho's direction.
 
"I understand," he said.  You smiled relieved that you didn't have to talk about the situation.  
 
"Do you have time to go with me?" you asked.  He checked his imaginary watching frowning as he read the time.
 
"I think I can manage that," he joked, "but only if we drive."  You smiled at him.
 
"Sure," you said.  He placed his arm behind your back guiding you in the direction of his car.  Jinho stared as the two of you walked away together.  Laughing about something that he couldn't hear, because the crosswalk had light up and was beeping.  Kicking the ground, he watched the empty road before him, where you would have been walking together.  
 
(AN: It's been a while again, sorry.  Here's an update even if it is short.)