The Confession

Action!

 

Ren’s POV

 

Sighing, I stepped from the dressing room once more. Turning, I showed off the pants I put on to Minhyun. The other looked thoughtful for a moment before shaking his head. I couldn’t help the small growl that left my lips.

“This is the fifth pair you’ve turned down. Why don’t you like them?” I asked.

“Do you like them?” he countered.

“Well duh. Why would I try them on if I didn’t?” I asked.

“Then get them.” I smacked my forehead. This boy…if it weren’t for the fact he was a close friend of mine, I probably would have strangled him. He was so confusing! Lowering my hand, I looked back at him and frowned. The other was looking away, like he was distracted by something.

“Minhyun.” I called, stepping closer to the chair he was sitting in. “Are you alright?”

His head snapped back and he looked back at him in surprise. “What? Oh yeah, I’m fine.”

“Really? You look a bit…distracted.” I said. Moving to the empty chair, I sat down. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s nothing Minki.”  He said and waved his hand.

“Ren! “ I corrected. Good lord how many times am I going to have to correct these people. It’s Ren. My name is Ren. If I go back to Minki... I don’t think my self-esteem could take being Minki again.

“Sorry!” he said and sighed. “Ren. It’s really nothing.” I wasn’t convinced and I don’t think he was either. In fact, I think he was saying that more to convince himself than to convince me.

“Naw, come on, you can tell me.” I said and leaned over, smiling cutely at him. “I’m your friend!”  Minhyun stared at me, a bit taken aback. I could see him struggling. He wanted to tell me everything, and that’s what I wanted him to do. It was very hard to resist the power of the maknae; I was going to get him to confess no matter what it took!

“Fine.” He finally gave in after a few moments of staring at me. He glanced around for a moment, making sure we were alone before leaning in. “Ren, what’s your position on…liking the same ?” he asked.

I sat back a bit then. That was not a question I had ever been asked before and not one I was expecting. How could he just ask something like that before mentally preparing me first? What was I supposed to say? ‘The truth, duh!’  Sighing, I took a moment to think on the question. What was my position. Well I knew I wasn’t gay, that was for sure. I had a girlfriend before and a few crushes. But that doesn’t mean I’m against such a thing. Not entirely.

“To be honest, I think it’s wrong.”  Minhyun’s face fell and I knew I just hurt the other, so I tried to correct the situation. “But I’m not against it.” I said hurriedly. Reaching out, I touched his arm. “Obviously I’m not against it. I like doing skinship between us friends. It’s fun, and fans like it.” I said. “But…well I know I’m not like that” I told him. “So…” I trailed off and sighed.

“I’m sorry for asking.” Minhyun said as he pulled away and looked away from me.

“No! No, it’s okay.” I said. “It’s just; it was a shocking question you know? And I’m not…gay.” I said, the word coming out harsher than I meant it to. “So I mean, I don’t think I really have a right to say what I think about it. People are who they are, they can’t help that. I’m not against that choice they have; it’s just not something I would partake in.” I tried to explain. He looked back at me uncertainly before giving a small nod.

“I’m sorry still.”

“Don’t be. And don’t think this changes anything between us.”

“Why would it?” Minhyun asked, raising a brow.

“Well you did ask that question for a reason right? You wanted to know how I would react before actually coming out to me right?” I asked. That’s what I assumed, was I wrong? Did he just want to know my position in comparison to his? Did I totally miss the mark on his conversation? Wouldn’t be the first time.

“Ah, well yeah.” He said and laughed nervously. “I guess I am coming out to you. But…I didn’t know who else to turn to. I need help.” He said as he faced me once more, taking my hands. My cheeks flushed then.

‘Please don’t confess, please don’t confess.’

“I don’t know how much help I’ll be in this situation.” I told him, my voice surprisingly calm, despite my racing heart.

“I know, but I just need some sort of advice. It’s…It’s…” he trailed off, taking in a deep breath. “It’s JR-hyung.” He said. “I like him so much and I don’t know what to do, or if he even swings my way.”

I felt a huge rush of relief wash over me. God I don’t know what I would have done if Minhyun went to confess to me. I would break his heart surely. “Swing your way?” I asked and laughed. That was a funny way to put it.

“Well, I suppose that is a bit of a problem.” I said. I glanced around then, searching. Our leader was somewhere in the store and I wasn’t sure where. The other had a tendency to pop up at the most inappropriate times. Seeing him nowhere in sight, I looked back at Minhyun. “Why not ask him?” he asked.

“What if he’s not gay? What if he reacts like you, only worse? You’re so open and understanding Minki.” He said.

“Ren.”

“Sorry, sorry.” He said. “But you are. So kind and carrying. You’re accepting me for who I am and you’re not thinking badly of me…are you?”

“No! Of course not. I never even thought you could be gay. We’ve been friends for over a year now and I never once suspected. You’re my friend because I like you, this isn’t going to change that. I already told you that.” I assured.

“Ok. Good.” Minhyun said and smiled sweetly at him. “Still, what if he’s like, super homophobic? I don’t think I could handle it if he rejected me, or worse yet, left the group because of it….or even forced me from the group because of it.”

“He’s not going to force you from the group. If you go, I go. And if I go, I’m taking Baekho with me.” I said and grinned, laughing. We both knew how close Baekho and I were. We were as close as I was to Minhyun. With one simple request, Baekho would leave with me and Aron would probably follow, though he may stay with JR. I’m not very sure about Aron-hyung.

“You would?”

“Of course. Friends stick together.” I said. “But really, you should try and found out. Do like you did with me just now. Ask his opinion on the matter.” I said. “That way, you can get a feel for his position without telling him your secret and if he does ask, tell him you saw something on TV about it or something.” I said.

“I never thought of that.” Minhyun said and shook his head. “I’m so stupid sometimes.”  I laughed, but refrained from agreeing. “Thanks Minki…I knew you would give me the best advice.” He said as he leaned over and hugged me. I wrapped my arms around his torso, returning the hug.

“Ren!” I corrected once more.

“Oh for god sakes.” He said as he pulled back and stuck his tongue out at me. I laughed and stood.

“Alright, so what do you think of this pair?” I asked, and turned again.

“I like those. Get those.”

“Finally! An answer!” I cheered and he laughed, throwing the pillow cushion on the chair at me. I laughed as I retreated back into the changing room to change back into my clothes. I was still worried though. I could tell Minhyun really liked JR. I think it was more of a ‘crush’ like, but it was a strong ‘crush’ like. I hope he didn’t get hurt, but I’m pretty sure he will. I don’t think JR is like that. But Minhyun needs to know. The sooner he does, the sooner he could mourn, get over him and move on with his life. There would be other people. Even as an idol, it was possible to have a relationship, not a public relationship ship, but a relationship none the less. Minhyun was a sweet person; he did deserve to be happy.

I really hope things work out for him.