The Question

Action!

 

Baekho’s POV

 

It’s been a few months since I saw that kid. He was a weird one. Not very talkative, very quiet.  He was nice though, and was polite, that was a good thing. After getting his number, I thought about calling him a few times, or texting him. Though with that old phone of his, I wasn’t even sure he could get text messages.

That was mean. I shouldn’t say such things like that. It didn’t occur to me then, but it did now, that maybe he couldn’t afford a nicer phone. Or maybe he was a simple person. He looked simple. He looked like he could be a nice person as well. I should call him and ask him to go out somewhere. After all, we’re in the same industry; we should get to know each other. It would be awkward if we got put into a group together and never really spent any time with each other.

Nodding, I grabbed my phone and searched through the contacts until I came to the one I wanted. My finger hesitated over the call button. Should I really call him? What if he thought I was a jerk? Why wouldn’t he after what I said.

‘Stupid Dongho! Why can’t you control your mouth?’

Sighing, I locked my phone and sat it down, staring at the wall. I should really call him, I should make up to him. But it’s been months. I should have apologized that day, or the next day. Well, he can’t blame me can he? Trainees were just that, constantly training. It’s a lot of work training to be a possible idol. And I can feel it, the time is drawing closer until I get picked for a group. I hope it’s a good group. Nothing big like Super Junior, but nothing too small. And I don’t want to do a solo.

Or maybe I do. More publicity for me. A solo career would be nice. But in groups, you got to pick a cool name, and create an amazing slogan for introductions. Yeah, that would be so much better. Okay, so no solo, group. That’s where I want to go with my career. Now, how did I get on this topic?

Oh right! Minki. Yeah I should I call him. Sighing, I picked up my phone and unlocked it. The contacts screen popped up immediately, his name highlighted. This time, I didn’t hesitate, I pressed the button and held it up to my ear, waiting.

Ring…

…Ring…

…Ring…

I don’t think he’s going to answer. It’s probably better this way. We probably wouldn’t be compatible. I should call someone else. That Jonghyun person was interesting. Maybe he would want to come out.

…Ring…

…Ring...

…Ri-

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Yeoboseyo, Choi Minki?”

“Yes?”

“Hey, it’s Dongho.”

Oh, hyung. What is it?”

“Ah, I was just calling to say hi.” I said. I was rolling my own eyes at that one. Obviously, when someone calls, they say hi. But really, who calls a person just to say hi? Usually they had something on their mind they wanted to discuss or a place they wanted to go with the other person. Just to say hi? That’s what a guy said to a girl before asking them out on a first date, and I was certainly not doing that!

Though…Minki did look a bit feminine. Not a lot though, which was a good thing.

“Oh. Hi.”

I held in my laughter. He knew how lame it was, and he was being lame by saying ‘hi’ himself. It was funny. Maybe we could be friends. We were getting along so far and we’ve only been talking for a minute.

“Anything else?”

“Ah, well…” I trailed off. So far he hadn’t brought up our first meeting. So maybe he forgot. If that was the case, then I can do this. Simply ask him to hang out. ‘You can do this Dongho. You can do this!’

“Actually, I was wondering if you wanted to go out somewhere and hang out.” There was silence on the other end. It seemed to last forever. The longer he didn’t say anything, the more worried I got. He probably still remembered and was thinking of what a jerk I am and that he didn’t want to hang out with a jerk. Damn! I ed up this possible friendship. He’ll probably be the first one to get in a group too.

Damn, damn, damn, damn, da-

“Sure. Do you want to go to karaoke?”

My heart nearly stopped. I was so happy! He said yes! Why was I so excited that he said yes? It’s not like I was asking him out on a date. I don’t date guys. It had to be the nerves. I’m not super confident in myself, though I know I have a good voice. Even though I made it through the tough rounds of auditions to become a trainee, knowing I had potential, it really didn’t help boost it up that much more. Everyone had potential and it was nerve racking to know that I might not make the cut. I need this friendship! I need to have someone to rely on and maybe even…help me get picked.

That’s a bit cold. But I’m sure Minki would understand. He would probably do the same thing, even use me maybe. So it would be a mutual relationship.

“Sure, I love karaoke.”

“Alright. There’s one about five blocks from the trainee studio.”

“Yeah, I know that one.” I told him. “How about I meet you there in an hour?”

“An hour?” There was pause for a moment. “Yeah, that works. See you there.” He said before hanging up. Alright! See Dongho? That was easy. I should do this with all the people I have in my phone, starting with Jonghyun next. But first, I need to concentrate on making this friendship work between Minki and myself.

Setting my phone down, I got up from my bed and started getting ready. Karaoke, I would be in my element. I’m sure Minki was a good singer, but I know I was going to blow his mind! You better watch out Choi Minki.