The Lock Up

Action!

Ren’s POV

Adrian-hyung was so silly. The other thought we didn’t notice what he was trying to do, but we did. He was as obvious as we had been when Baekho and I were trying to set Minhyun and Aron up. Though that had seemed to work in a roundabout way. Minhyun and Aron were getting along very well now. JR though, he was still a bit off on things, but he was slowly coming around.

“So how long are we supposed to be in here?” Baekho asked, leaning up against the shower stall. Turning to him, I shrugged before trying the door again. “See, I told you if we had locked them in the bathroom it would have worked.” Baekho said and grinned. I rolled my eyes.

“Well we locked JR in the bathroom. And frankly, that had been the best move we made.” I said. Moving to the toilet, I lowered the lid and sat down, crossing my legs. “Besides, I think our plan worked in a roundabout sort of way.” I could feel his eyes on me and I had to smile. Baekho was thinking hard, he always stared intensely when he thought hard.

“Yeah I suppose it did. Glad it worked out for them, even if they haven’t dated yet.” Baekho said in that tone of voice that had me shuddering. His voice was wonderful. It did things to me that a voice shouldn’t be allowed to do. It was almost sinful. Well no, it was sinful depending on who you asked.

“They will.” I said. Looking back at him, I smiled some. “At least they’re happy.” I reminded him. “Minhyun has Aron to keep him happy. What a gift that is, especially with how JR acted recently.”

“Yeah.” Baekho said and yawned. He looked to his watch and groaned. “Seriously, how long are we going to be in here? What’s the point?”

“Really?” I asked and shook my head. Reaching up, I ran a hand over my face, sighing. “So stupid.” I muttered. Looking back at him, I sighed once more. “They’re doing the same thing that we did. They’re trying to set us up.” I told him.

Baekho stared at me in confusion. He was thinking hard once more. It slowly clicked for him though. “Oh.” He said and shook his head. “That’s ing crazy. I’m not gay.” He said and sighed. I stared at Baekho and sighed. That’s what the other said, but sometimes I wondered.

“Are you sure?” I asked and raised a brow.

“Uh yeah.” Baekho said and snorted. “Are you?” he asked. I stared at him and shrugged.

“What does it matter?”  I asked.

“Rennie?”

“It’s nothing Baekho.” I told him before he could even get a word out. It was strange at how well I knew Baekho and the things he wanted to say before he said them.

“Minki.”  I sighed and turned to stare at him. I hated when the other spoke my name like that. My real name at least. I knew when he said it, he wasn’t going to drop any discussion, let any issue go. He wanted answers and would stop at nothing to get them. That’s why sometimes I couldn’t stand the other. He didn’t understand the word no. “Minki come here.”

I didn’t want to, but my body was responding before my brain could make it stay still. I found myself sitting next to Baekho on the floor and stared up at him through parted blond bangs. “Yeah?” I asked. His arm wrapped around my shoulder and I found myself leaning into him.

“Minki’s gay?” he asked. I stiffened as I stared at him, my brows furrowing.

“No.” I said and sighed, looking away. “Why do you care if I am or not?”

“Because you’re my friend. You can tell me Minki.” Baekho said.

“Why?” I asked and frowned. “So you can react like JR?” I regretted those words the moment they left my lips. Damn it. I knew Baekho was nothing like JR. The other was very open and understanding. He wouldn’t react like JR, at least I hope not. But I wasn’t going to say yes or not. To be honest, I really didn’t know what the answer was. My talk with Adrian-hyung hadn’t really gone as well I thought. I was still confused.

“Minki, do you really think I would act like that?” Baekho asked. I could tell he was hurt; he didn’t really hide his emotions well.  I sighed, looking away.

“No Baekho.” I said. I rested my head on his shoulder, staring at the closed door. “I know you wouldn’t act like that. You’re not like him, you’re different.” I said.

“How so?”

“You’re so fun, and caring. You’re understanding and open.” I said. I felt him pull me against him tighter and heard him chuckle. Growling, I moved and punched him in the arm playfully.

“.” I said and smiled up at him.

“I know. I just love hearing you compliment me. Boosts my ego.” Baekho said and laughed lightly.  “Anyway, Minki, tell me, what’s up? Are you gay?” he asked.

I paused for a moment, thinking. “To be honest, I have no earthly idea.” I answered. Sitting up, I tilted my head up to stare at the ceiling. “I guess…I’m confused?” I said, though I wasn’t real sure.

“Confused?” Baekho repeated and nodded. “Alright, well when you figure it out, let me know okay?” Baekho asked and grinned. “I’d like to meet whatever lucky man or woman steals my little Minki’s heart.” He teased me and I punched him again. “Ow! So mean Minki.” He whined and I laughed. Baekho was silly, a smiling clown really. But he was my smiling clown.

I don’t think there was ever time after our first outing that Baekho hadn’t been with me, watching over me, encouraging me, and plotting with me. He was ‘the man behind the mask’ really. He helped make me Ren; made me believe in myself. It was only natural I felt something more towards him right? Adrian-hyung thought so and I’m sure if I asked Minhyun and Aron, they would agree. Though I wouldn’t dare do that and risk them blabbing to Baekho about my feelings. Still…did Baekho feel the same way towards me?

He constantly said he wasn’t gay. But maybe he was. He liked to defend his manliness a lot when it came into question, but he was still gentle and caring about how he went about that. Maybe he was just confused like me. Maybe there was hope. Maybe that’s why we had been put in this room together. Someone else knew something. Maybe Baekho did like me.

I felt my heart race at the thought. They were a lot of maybes, but I think they could all be possibilities and that made me really happy to think about. Hearing the door knob jiggle, I looked up, watching it for a moment. I was almost sure that whoever was on the other side was just making sure the door was still locked.

“Hey you two.”  I was shocked seeing the door open and JR standing there, frowning at us. “What are you doing in here?” he asked. It was rather strange. JR hadn’t spoken to us in a month or better. For him to be standing there and not only speaking to us, but staring us in the eye, it was strange.

“Someone thought it would be funny to lock us in here.” I said and stood. Turning, I held my hand out for Baekho to take, which he did, and I helped him up.

“Oh.” JR stared at us for a moment or so before pushing the open door the rest of the way and stepped back as we came closer. “Well dinner is ready.”  Nodding, I filed out, Baekho following.

“Thanks JR.” Baekho said as we made our way down the hall.

“Actually, Baekho…I need to talk to you.” JR called. I paused, looking back at them worriedly. Baekho waved his hand at me and smiled.

“Go and eat Minki, we’ll be there soon.” He said. He followed JR to his room, the door closing behind them. I was scared, terrified really. I had no idea what JR wanted to talk about, or what he might do to Baekho. I didn’t think he would actually hurt the other, but then again I never thought he would have reacted so hatefully towards Minhyun and Adrian-hyung when they came out. There was just no telling what was on our leaders mind anymore.

But I didn’t go there. I didn’t follow. Baekho was strong, he could handle his own. And if it really got out of hand, we would hear it and come save him, or save JR, whichever the case may be. Walking into the dining room, I took my seat. The other two questioned me and I let them know what had happened. The shared my worry, but we just sat there and ate.

Fifteen minutes went by and Baekho and JR came back. Both looked fine, both were smiling and laugh. And what really shocked me was that JR actually made conversation with Minhyun.

“Minhyun.”

Minhyun stared up at our leader from his plate. His expression was blank and I knew he was bracing himself. Anytime JR even thought of speaking about or to Minhyun, he always said something mean and nasty to the other that left his crying. We were ready for it too, but nothing like that came.

“I’m sorry.” JR apologized. There was no explanation as to what he was sorry for. Or rather, for which incident he was sorry for. He just left it at that. I suppose we shouldn’t have expected anymore. Just hearing the other say he was sorry was enough for us. It must have been hard for JR to come to terms with everything and to even think about being an accepting leader. The other had even apologized. That was a step in the right direction and we were all proud of him.

“I can’t forgive you.” Minhyun said and frowned. “At least, not so easily.”

“I understand.” JR said and nodded. He stared Minhyun directly in the eye. “But I am sorry.”

“One day hyung…maybe I’ll be able to forgive you. But thank you for your apology.”

It was silent after that. We ate in peace and for the first time, our family dinner wasn’t filled with tension. It wasn’t completely relaxed either, but it was tolerable. Maybe things were going to be turning around for all of us. Fingers crossed that we’re going to have good fortune in the future.

“Oh by the way.” Baekho suddenly spoke. “I’ve been chosen to be on the show ‘We Got Married.’ Isn’t that great?” he said, grinning like a fool.  I stared in shock at the announcement and embarrassingly enough, actually fell out of my seat.

“Ren? Are you okay?” Aron asked.