Green With Envy

My Boyfriend's Best Friend

 

Onew glanced up at the clock on the wall of math class. They were halfway into 3rd period and Minho still hadn't shown up for school. Maybe he was too uncomfortable at school with everyone talking about him being dumped.
 
Onew felt terrible. He wanted to be able to help his friend but he doubted there was much he could do. He knew Minho would eventually get over it, but he wished there was a way that he could cheer him up in the mean time.
 
At lunch, when he was sitting at the cafeteria with the rest of SHINee, he brought it up. 
 
"He just seems so unhappy," Onew explained to his three other group mates. 
 
"Lee Jinki, you're such a softie," Key .
 
Taemin looked at Kibum with an upset expression. "No, Onew-hyung is right. If there is way to cheer him up, we should do it."
 
They sat in silence for a moment, pondering a solution to their dilemma. Finally, it was Taemin who spoke up.
 
"Maybe we could throw a party," he suggested, looking at his hyungs for confirmation. When they gave him a quizzical look, he provided more explanation. "Not for him, just throw a party and make sure he comes."
 
"And Krystal doesn't," Key added. "Obviously."
 
Onew and Jonghyun looked at each other and then at their dongsengs, nodding.
 
It was decided. SHINee would be having a party.
 
                            ******
 
"Give me an S!"
 
"S!"
 
"Give me an M!"
 
"M!"
 
"What does that spell?"
 
"SM!"
 
The SM cheerleading squad was practicing their cheer for the upcoming soccer match against JYP Prep. They were out in the field, practicing their pyramid. Perched at the top of the pyramid like a trophy was head cheerleader and Queen Bee: Yoona. Her ideal face, pale skin and gorgeous legs were the envy of all the other girls in the school.
 
As they came out of formation, their cheer coach blew her whistle, signifying the end of practice. All the girls filed over to the bench to get a drink from their water bottles. Then, as was tradition, they sat down on the grass to commence their weekly gossip session. Due to her recent break-up, Krystal quickly became the topic of discussion.
 
"So, let's be honest," Sooyoung asked her, "who broke up with who?"
 
Yuri rolled her eyes. "Come on Soo, you really think Minho would break up with her?"
 
Krystal felt uncomfortable but spoke anyways. "Yuri is right, I broke up with him."
 
The girls nodded, prepared to show their support for their teammate.
 
"You were out of his league, anyways."
 
"He was obviously too clingy."
 
"Wise choice, Krys."
 
"I bet he cried like a little baby."
 
Krystal felt a bit guilty that she was bashing her ex-boyfriend behind his back but these were her friends, they were just trying to be supportive. She told them everything, whether she wanted to or not. If she wanted to be a part of the squad, she had to play by their rules.
 
"Why did you break up with him?" Yoona asked while pulling her sleek black hair out of its ponytail.
 
"I just didn't really like him anymore," Krystal explained.
 
While some of the girls nodded in agreement with her explanation, it was Yuri who questioned her motives.
 
"It's not, maybe, that you like someone else?" she asked, shooting her a quizzical look.
 
Krystal felt her cheeks flush. That was definitely part of the reason. "Well, there is Donghae oppa..."
 
The girls all squealed with excitement at new dating prospects. All of Minho's previous relevance was quickly forgotten.
 
                            *****
 
The day after Sulli's hospital ordeal, she returned to school. Her head was still slightly sore, but it was nothing she couldn't handle. 
 
When she got to her locker, Key was already waiting for her with a devious smirk plastered across his face.
 
"Welcome back," he greeted her, with a hint of sarcasm. 
 
"What is that face about?" she questioned, gesturing at his mischievous expression.
 
"Oh, nothing," he said. "I just noticed that you and Mr. Charisma were both absent on the same day." He raised his eyebrows suggestively. "Coincidence, or ...?"
 
Sulli chuckled to herself; Kibum was so nosy. She quickly filled him in on the soccer incident yesterday, leaving out a few parts of the story.
 
"How... Romantic," Key mused when she finished. Before she could protest that he must have misinterpreted her story, he walked away, leaving Sulli wondering what kind of impression she had given him.
 
As she was standing there pondering Kibum's last sentence, two arms wrapped around her waist from behind, hugging her tightly.
 
"Taemin-ah, " she protested as he kissed her neck lightly. He let go, twirling her around to face him. He was smiling brightly.
 
"I missed you yesterday. Why were you absent?"
 
Sulli felt a strange guilt, as though she couldn't tell him the truth. "I had to go to the hospital but I'm fine now."
 
"Are you sure?" he asked, feeling her forehead for a fever.
 
"Really, I'm all better, " she reassured him.
 
"Good because I don't want to get sick when I do this." 
 
He kissed her quickly on the lips, cupping her face in his hands. For an instant, Sulli's mind flashed away from their kiss and she saw Minho there in Taemin's place; holding her, his lips against hers. A shiver propagated down her spine. But she was soon woken from her daydream by the end of the embrace.
 
"I have to get to dance class," he said after pulling away. "See you later."
 
"Bye, " she called after him as he left down the school hallway, feeling like the worst girlfriend ever.
 
Who pictures someone else while they're kissing their boyfriend?
 
                            *****
 
Taemin and Minho were in the same music class. They sat at the back behind Jongin and Kris. When Minho walked in the day after being absent, the other kids greeted him enthusiastically.
 
"Ayo wassup?" Kris asked.
 
"Hey Minho," Taemin said, smiling.
 
Minho took his seat and dropped his notebook on the desk. "Hey guys."
 
"Where were you yesterday?" Jongin asked. "There was a fight between some junior trainees and you missed it."
 
"I had to take a friend to the hospital," Minho explained truthfully.
 
Realization dawned on Taemin's face, "Sulli, right? What happened to her?"
 
Minho looked sheepishly at his hands.  "I might have accidentally knocked her unconscious with a soccer ball."
 
Kris and Jongin exploded with laughter.
 
"Yah!" Taemin punched Minho lightly in the arm. "You hurt my girlfriend!"
 
For some reason, hearing Taemin call Sulli his girlfriend bothered Minho. In front of him, the two doofuses stopped laughing, worried that Taemin would turn his wrath to them.
 
"How long have you been going out again, Taemin?" they asked him.
 
"Since the beginning of this year."
 
"You seem to really like her."
 
"I do. She's smart, pretty and cute."
 
Minho suddenly didn't want to be in class anymore. He got up briskly, asking the teacher if he could be excused to go to the washroom.
 
Once outside the class, he sat on the steps to try and get his thoughts in order. Why was he so bothered about Taemin's relationship with Sulli? Was it... Jealousy? No, he was just friends with Sulli. Although, in truth, she was smart and pretty and cute. Maybe his confusion was because he had just been dumped.
 
Or, maybe, he had felt something real for Sulli last night when he had wanted to kiss her.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: Ok so chapter number five... I am aiming to get the sixth chapter out this weekend. The next chapter will be SHINee's party :) There will definitely be more exciting things within the next 2-3 updates. Look forward to it!
 
Please comment and subscribe ^_^ It means a lot.