A Glass of Water

My Boyfriend's Best Friend

 

FF: Chapter 26
 
She obviously likes you back.
 
Minho stared up at the ceiling of his bedroom, running his fingers through his messy hair. 
 
If Key was right... If Sulli did like him... 
 
*No. Even if she does she's still dating Taemin.*
 
He jumped out of bed, his shoulders tense. He began pacing, though he wasn't quite sure why.  He didn't realize that things could change that quickly. 3 months ago, he was heartbroken by Krystal. Now, he found himself head over heels for someone else. 
 
Sulli.
 
He wanted so badly to be the one whose hand she held when she walked in the street, to be the one she leaned on when she was feeling down, to be the one she kissed with tender love. He wanted desperately to be in Taemin's place.
 
The way he saw it, he had two options.
 
1. He could try to win Sulli over and convince her that they should be together. Maybe she even liked him too.
 
2. He could try not to feel the way he did and leave Taemin and Sulli alone. 
 
Somehow though, he knew he wouldn't be able to get over her. There was only one thing he could do then. He couldn't change how he felt and he couldn't cope with feeling that way. He knew what he had to do, even if it might hurt Taemin. Isn't it what Taemin had offered him in that diner all those months ago anyways?
 
He needed to find Sulli.
 
He went downstairs, his house oddly quiet since he was the only one home - both his parents were at work. Seeing that it had started snowing, he grabbed a hat along with his coat and opened the front door, only to find someone already on his doorstep.
 
Her clothes looked damp, which he assumed was from the snow that was gently settling over the street like a blanket. A few stray snowflakes had come to rest in her hair, which was braided. Though her flushed cheeks might have been from the cold, he could tell that she had been crying.
 
"Sulli..." He breathed, surprised that she was there. He didn't believe in fate but the fact that she was there just when he was just about to go look for her was some sort of beautiful concidence.
 
"Could I please come in?" She requested politely.
 
"Oh, y-yes," he stuttered, realizing he had forgotten his manners. He backed up, holding the door ajar for her.
 
She stepped inside, brushing a bit of snow off the sleeve of her red wool coat. He liked that coat, Minho realized. It suited her.
 
She looked at him with sad eyes. "Where you about to go somewhere? Am I being a nuisance?"
 
Minho shook his head a little too eagerly. "No... I was actually going to go find you."
 
She tilted her head, asking him "why" without using a single word.
 
There was no better time than the present, Minho decided.
 
"Sulli, I've said this too you before and I'll say it again; I can't stand to not be with, to be around you as you love someone else and he loves you back. I know you're dating Taemin-"
 
"Minho..." Sulli interrupted him, wanting to say something.
 
"Let me finish - I need to say this. I know that right now there's someone else in your life but I also know that there was a time when you wanted me to be that person. You told me so after the first time I took you to the hospital. I think... No... I hope. I hope that somehow you would want that again, that you could see a future with me, that a tiny bit of those feelings aren't gone. 
 
"And I wish... I wish that maybe, just maybe, you want to be with me as much as I want to be with you and you just haven't been able to say it."
 
Sulli turned away from him, hiding herself from his expectant eyes.
 
"He broke up with me," she whispered, tears once again forming in the corners of her eyes.
 
"What?" Minho exclaimed, partially out of shock and partially because he thought he hadn't heard right.
 
"He said he wanted me to be happy and that he didn't think I was," she explained. She turned back to face him. "He says you can make me happy."
 
Minho walked towards her. "Is that why you came? Because you want me to make you happy?" He could hardly believe it. It seemed like he had been given something that he was prepared to fight for.
 
She took his hat off and put it on the table next to her.
 
"I don't feel happy," she said simply.
 
Minho reached up, wiping a stray tear away with his thumb. She caught his hand in hers, pressing it to her cheek. She looked in his eyes as though searching for something.
 
Minho felt it. If he wanted to, he knew he could kiss her right then and there. 
 
But something felt wrong.
 
In the same way that he wasn't able to that night when she has been hopped up on a spiked drink, he knew he couldn't. Even if he wanted to.
 
Just as he decided not to kiss her, Sulli surprised him again.
 
She let go of his hand then reached up slightly, barely an inch away from his mouth. He could hear her breathing. For a moment she stayed there.
 
Then, as quick as eyelids closing, Sulli's lips were on his, pushing him backwards slightly so that he was against the wall. Minho reacted quickly, almost automatically, bringing one arm around her small waist, running his other hand through her hair.
 
It was a rushed kiss; eager, hungry. It was like slowly dying of thirst then being given a glass of cold water. Minho had been waiting for this moment. Admittedly, he had even imagined it. 
 
Just as he had felt crash against his, he had also felt her emotion hit him like a wave. He knew she was still crying. 
 
Then, almost as quickly as it had started, it was over. She had pulled abruptly away. When Minho looked at her he saw plump lips, flushed cheeks and, most importantly, confused eyes.
 
"I shouldn't have done that," she said regretfully. "I wanted to see if it would make me happy."
 
Minho felt his heart fall into his stomach.
 
"I don't feel happy. I feel guilty." She said the last word with a sad hate. "I was dating him an hour ago and now I'm here... Doing this."
 
She ran her fingers through her hair. "I have to go."
 
Minho reached for her wrist. "Sulli, wait..."
 
She moved her arm away. "No, stop... I'm leaving."
 
Turning around, she ran out the door in such a hurry that she left the door wide open.
 
Minho stared out the door, the cool outside air hitting him. He didn't know what to feel. He didn't know what to think.
 
He just knew that he couldn't be without her.
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
A/N: I managed to squeeze in time for one more chapter - I thought you guys deserved this one since you'll have to wait 2 weeks until the next update :(
 
But I'm interested (as always) to hear your reactions so please please comment away ^_^