None of Your Business

My Boyfriend's Best Friend

 

“Do you want to go for a walk on the beach?” Onew asked Luna, feeling a bit awkward.
 
“Sure,” she answered softy. The sparkle that had been in her eyes on their first date was gone.
 
*I ruined it,* Onew thought. *I blew it and now she doesn’t like me anymore.*
 
Night had fallen, causing the sky to turn a deep blue. One of the many benefits of being in the country was that the stars were much more visible, shining against the dark background of the night.
 
Onew walked along the sand with his hands uncomfortably in his pockets because he was too nervous to hold her hand. Luna just kept her hands limply at her side, allowing them to sway slightly as she walked.
 
"Luna," Onew began as he suddenly stopped walking. "I'm sorry I have been awkward lately. I really do like you, it's just that I'm not used to this sort of thing and I don't want you to think that I don't like you, because I do... I..."
 
He paused for a moment, not looking at her.
 
"What I mean to say is that I hope you still like me even though I may have seemed stand-offish. I wasn't trying to..."
 
Luna took his face in her small hand, turning him around to face her. Without saying anything, she reached up and kissed him on the lips.
 
"You may be shy, oppa," she said with a small grin, "but I'm not."
 
Onew was shocked from a moment, having to refrain from reaching up and touching his lips where she had kissed them.
 
Gaining confidence, he lifted his hand towards Luna and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear that had been blowing in the wind.
 
He leaned down, kissing her again. This time longer, more tenderly.
When he pulled away, he was smiling like an idiot.
 
She smiled back at him. "You don't know how long I waited for that."
 
He took her hand, leading her along the beach, enjoying the beautiful night.
 
*****
 
The next morning, the group went back to the beach. As they walked over, Sulli noticed that Luna and Onew were holding hands and pointed it out to Taemin, who was holding hers.
 
He laughed. "It looks like hyung was able to overcome his shyness."
 
He called over to Jonghyun who was near him, chatting up Ji Eun. Sulli could see Minho glaring at him.
 
"Jonghyun-hyung," Taemin called, then pointed at Onew.
 
Jonghyun did an exaggerated shocked expression. "Whoaaaa look at him."
 
Sulli laughed. She was trying to be happy but there was something else on her mind. She had had another nightmare the night before and was still shaken from it.
 
---------------
 
I felt myself in a cold room. I was tied to a chair with my hands bound and my eyes blindfolded. It was strange. My eyes were covered yet I knew what the room looked like.
 
A booming voice, the same one from before, in the ocean, rang out around me.
 
"Do you think your actions will go unpunished?" It said threateningly.
 
When I really listened, the voice sounded like a much deeper, more powerful version of Taemin's.
 
"What actions?" I asked.
 
"The punishment of betrayal is death!" It roared. "Are you guilty?!"
 
"I'm not guiltly!" I cried. "I love him."
 
----------------
 
Ever since she had had the first dream, she had tried to make sense of them. While she didn't know for sure, she thought the nightmares were a warning. A warning that she should stay with Taemin, not be with Minho. She knew that though. She was already resolved to the fact that she was with Taemin and she loved him. At least that's what she kept telling herself.
 
When the group of teenagers got to the beach, they set up all their stuff just like the day before. Today, a bunch of them decided to try surfing. Sulli didn’t really want to go surfing so she decided it was the perfect time to talk to Minho like Jonghyun had asked her to.
 
As he was leaving to go surfing, she stopped him. 
 
“Minho oppa there’s something I need to talk to you about.”
 
He gave her a quizzical expression. “Um... okay.” They walked back over to the towels that were spread out and sat down.
 
“What is it?” he asked. “You seem pretty serious. Is something wrong?”
 
Sulli waved him off. “I’m fine. It’s not about me. It has to do with Ji Eun.”
 
Minho’s face suddenly grew worried. “Did she do something? Do you dislike her or something?”
 
"No it's not her exactly," Sulli reassured him.
 
"Is it about my family?" He asked impatiently.
 
“Honestly oppa, can you just let me explain!” Sulli said, exasperatedly.
 
“Sorry.”
 
“I just noticed that you’re being kind of overprotective of her,” she explained. You don’t need to make Jonghyun stay away from her. She can handle him on her own.”
 
Minho scowled. “Jonghyun is my friend but he’s also a player. I don’t need her dating a guy like him.”
 
Sulli protested, “But it shouldn’t be your decision to make.”
 
Minho's jaw tightened and Sulli could tell she may have overstepped her boundaries.
 
His voice was stiff when he spoke. "I don't know who you think you are to lecture me on my family. It's absolutely none of your business whether or not I want my cousin to go out with Jonghyun. You're not my mother or my girlfriend, so you definitely don't get to boss me around. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go surfing. Thanks for wasting my time."
 
With that, he stalked off across the beach, catching up with everyone else. Sulli leaned back against the ground, running her hands through hair in frustration. She tried not to be to upset by his words but she was.
 
*I guess that's what you get for doing Jonghyun a favour,* she thought, sighing.
 
She wanted to make everyone happy but it seemed like she was doing the exact opposite. Taemin always had a sad expression when he looked at her. Minho was either frustrated, disappointed or annoyed whenever he was around her. Though their unhappiness weighed on her conscience, how could she make other people happy if she couldn't even make herself happy?
 
She tried to think about where the change started. Three months ago, she was perfectly content. What had changed since then? 
 
Minho. That was the difference. Three months ago, he was in a relationship with Krystal and he was unavailable but now... Now he wasn't dating Krystal. Now, he had even confessed to liking her.
 
But then, if that was the change, did that mean she needed to be with Minho in order to be happy? She had briefly considered the possibility but quickly pushed it aside because she knew that hurting Taemin would never bring her happiness. Although, if her only reason for being with Taemin was so she didn't hurt him, was that right?
 
Sulli didn't know what to do. She just wanted her problems solved.