A Stampede of Elephants

My Boyfriend's Best Friend

 

The f(x) dorm was quiet, it's silence interrupted only by the sound of pen on paper. While all the other members were out, Sulli was slaving over her languages paper due next week. Just as she had gone over how to greet an audience in 8 different languages, she heard the sound of a key going into a lock. The dorm room door swung open, revealing Krystal. Her wing-tip eyeliner and red shirt made her look unusually intimidating. Maybe that was the point.
 
Turning her head back to her work, Sulli tried to ignore the other girl. They were, for obvious reasons, not on good terms.
 
"It's cute how you think that if you don't look at me, I'll go away," Krystal mused. Sulli heard the rickety dormroom bed creak, indicating Krystal must have deposited herself on it.
 
"I'm not trying to make you go away, I'm trying to make it plain that I don't want to talk to you," Sulli grumbled, trying to focus on the French greeting.
 
 
Bonjour! Nous sommes f(x)! C'est un plaisir d'être ici.
 
 
"That's too bad, because we have a lot of talking to do."
 
Realizing she wouldn't be able to continue ignoring her, Sulli whirled around to face Krystal.
 
"Krystal, if it isn't obvious, I don't want to chat," Sulli said, glaring. "What on earth do you have to say? Get it over with."
 
"Gee Sulli, your awfully arrogant and rude for someone who doesn't deserve to be in this school. You should show more respect to those of us who legitimately deserve to be here."
 
Her heart jumped at Krystal's words. Did she know? Mustering up her best attempt at sounding indifferent, she mumbled, "What do you mean?"
 
Krystal grinned so maliciously it made Sulli's blood boil. 
 
"Let's see..." Krystal put on a voice that mimicked sympathy.  "A young girl doesn't make it through the SM auditions after multiple tries. Her poor parents are heartbroken and resort to extreme measures to help their precious child achieve her dreams." 
 
She pauses, pulling a folded document from the back pocket of her jeans. "Even if that means bribing her way in."
 
At the sight of the papers, Sulli's heart escalated from jumping and falls to the bottom of her stomach. "W-Where did you g-get that?"
 
"I know a guy."
 
Sulli hesitated. "So...
what? Now you're gonna get me kicked out of school?"
 
An amused chuckle escaped Krystal's throat. "No, sillybilly! Why would I do something so simple? I'm going to let you stay here."
 
Sulli couldn't help but breathe a quiet sigh of relief.
 
"I have something better in mind," Krystal continued, causing Sulli's inhalation to catch in . 
 
"I won't tell anyone that you bought your way into this school, ending your career before it even starts, as long as you agree to one condition," Krystal explained.
 
"What's the catch?"
 
"You have to break-up with Minho."
 
*****
 
"Sulli..." Minho looked at his girlfriend with concern, her distressed expression worrying him. "Are you feeling all right?"
 
She nodded but Minho thought she looked uncertain. She had been quiet all day, like there was some pressing matter occupying her thoughts. They were on the bleachers after school yet Sulli seemed to be on another planet.
 
"Sulli-ah... You can tell me." Her distraction, he now realized, was actually avoidance.
 
"Listen, Minho," she said timidly, as she heard her voice break. Suddenly, he didn't want to hear what she had to say anymore. "I don't think we can see each other anymore."
 
"I thought we were past this part of our relationship," Minho replied, half-smiling, almost as though he thought she was joking, or at least hoped she was. "I thought you were ready."
 
She shook her head slowly. "It's not that I'm not ready, it's not even a question of time. I just don't want to date you."
 
Her words felt like a slap to the face. The situation all seemed so familiar.
 
 
I want to break up.
 
I don't think our relationship is really working anymore.
 
I don't feel the way I used to.
 
 
Rejection. It was the second time he had felt its sharp bite. This time though, it was worse. When Krystal broke up with him, he felt as though his heart had been trampled by horses. Sulli's words, on the other hand, had felt like a stampede of elephants.
 
Last time, his heart had only cracked. Now, it had split in two.
 
"Minho..."
 
Sulli's voice woke him abruptly from his pain.
 
"If you want to break up," Minho said stonily, his half smile long gone, "then fine. But can you honestly say that you feel nothing towards me?"
 
Sulli looked him in the eye. 
 
"I don't feel anything, and I never will."
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
A/N: This chapter should have been up sooner but... I needed to figure some things out, I guess. And it was so short... I'm sorry :( I will  do better.
 
I've had a few new subs and upvotes lately, for which I am very very thankful. You amazing people, and the ones who have been supporting me for some time, are my motivation to write this story. 
 
You're the best-est! ;)
 
*And yes, in case you were wondering, I do speak French.*