Long Talks and Snowy Runs

My Boyfriend's Best Friend

 

Sulli ran. Pushing herself, she reached the point where her lungs burned from the cold air that she found herself gasping for. She ran until she realized she had to stop, throwing herself in the snow. The coolness of it refreshed her warm body, which overheated from running. 
 
What was she running from? Was it Minho? Was it her sorrow?
 
It was both, she realized. She couldn't understand how she could feel so hurt and pained at the loss of Taemin, yet a part of her, a big part of her, wanted to be with Minho. This reality scared her. It frightened her because she wasn't sure how to move forward, she wasn't sure what came next.
 
Her mind flashed back to a few minutes ago. The rushed feeling of her lips pressed against his. His hands running easily, smoothly through her hair. Whether the timing of that kiss was right or not, it had meant something. Most importantly, she knew it meant a lot to him.
 
She bent over, resting her palms on her thighs, contorting her body into a hunched position. She breathed deepy, still tired from having ran all that way.
 
She had run away because she wasn't ready, because she couldn't face her feelings, because she wasn't  ready to let go of Taemin. It hadn't even been a day. But, she realized, it wasn't always about her. It wasn't fair to Minho for her to run away from him when he had put everything out on the line. After all, she was the one who kissed him.
 
She should go back, she decided. Standing up straight, she ran right back towards his house, out of breath, red-faced and confused.
 
******
 
Minho leaned against the wall of his front hallway; a big room with dark red walls. A million thoughts ran through his mind all at once, resulting in a jumble of conclusions that were difficult to understand.
 
Why did Taemin break up with her?
Was it so that he could be with her?
 
Why had she come here right away?
Was it because she wanted to be with him?
 
 Why had things escalated so quickly?
Was it because they shared the same feelings?
 
All his conclusions seemed promising. In fact, most of what had happened was positive. That was, until the very end... 
 
Until she had run out. 
 
In that single moment, he had become convinced that he had completely ruined everything.
 
Unexpectedly, there was a knock at his door: two quick, sharp taps. He rushed over, hoping it was her. He swung the door open, revealing a gasping, flushed Sulli.
 
"Um... Hi," Minho said awkwardly, not sure how to act.
 
"I'm sorry," Sulli said right away.
 
"Do you want to come in?" He asked,  since she looked cold and tired.
 
"No just let me finish. I shouldn't have run off but things were moving much too quickly. I don't know what to feel or how to react or who to talk to and I just rushed into something I shouldn't have."
 
"I understand," Minho said sympathetically.
 
"I don't want you to think I'm shutting a door on this possibility. I just need some time."
 
"I can wait." He smiled somewhat sincerely. "You know where I live when you want to talk."
 
She nodded, looking slightly relieved. "I should go." She turned and left back the way she came, her red coat standing out against the snow.
 
Minho shut the door slowly. He could wait forever, but he hoped he wouldn't have to.
 
*****
 
Key sipped on a freshly poured cappuccino while waiting patiently for Sulli. Like the cafe, the coffee was mediocre, although he did have very specific tastes. That said, he liked the cafe because it was run by locals and was always fairly quiet.
 
The little bell on the door let out a high-pitched jingle as Sulli came in. Her hair was messy and she had bags under her eyes. She looked like a mess, but Key decided it wouldn't be wise to say so.
 
"Oh, you showed up," she said with a slight exasperation, sitting down across from him.
 
"Of course," he replied smugly. "I guess I'm used to being called upon."
 
She rubbed her temples with her index fingers. Key raised an eyebrow. She really was a mess. 
 
"Do you want a coffee?" He asked her.
 
"No. I... Um... I'm not sleeping well as it is, I don't think caffeine will really help with that."
 
"Why aren't you sleeping?"
 
Sulli let out a long sigh. "Friday afternoon, Taemin broke up with me. He said I needed to be with Minho in order to be happy, but I can't just forget everything and run to Minho."
She paused. "Then... I don't know why... I went to Minho's almost right after. Things moved more quickly than I expected and we ended up kissing," she confessed.
 
Key sipped his coffee slowly, as though pondering what she had just said. He seemed relatively unfazed by what she had just told him. "Well... The way I see it, the possibility of you and Taemin getting back together is virtually impossible."
 
As much as Sulli felt guilty admitting it, she knew it was true.
 
Key continued. "Also, since Taemin sacrificed his own happiness so that you and his best friend would be happy. You would be wrecking that by refusing to be with Minho."
 
Sulli pondered that point. If she didn't be with Minho, both he and Taemin would be hurt instead of just one of them. Then again, wouldn't it hurt Taemin to see her with Minho? 
 
*Not if that's what he wanted,* she told herself. *Besides, the only way he would be perfectly happy is if you were still dating and Minho didn't like you.*
 
Key finally brought up one last thing. "Honestly though Sulli, I think you also need to recognize that no matter how much you've been denying it, you still feel the same way about Minho as you did before you ever started dating Taemin."
 
"You still like Minho."
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
A/N: I know, I know - I was supposed to be gone for two weeks but I had some spare time and this hotel has WiFi! Yay for Internet Connection! (And by spare time I mean instead of sleeping)
 
Honestly I just missed Asianfanfics :)
 
And Minsul ^_^
 
And my readers of courseeee <3