A Stampede of Horses

My Boyfriend's Best Friend

It was all over the school. Everyone at SM High School was buzzing with the news of Krystal and Minho's break-up. After dating for only a few months, the pair had quickly become one of the most talked-about couples in the school. Since their first year as high school trainees, students plugged in to the gossip knew that Minho had a HUGE crush on Krystal. During their first two of three years, Minho's behavior had closely resembled that of a puppy dog, tailing Krystal wherever she went. It was hardly surprising though; Krystal was on the cheerleading squad and was often pursued by the male trainees. Not to say that Minho was unpopular; he had been on the soccer team 3 years straight and had finally been named captain at the beginning of their third and final year at SM High.

Onew had first heard the news of the break-up in fourth period, when Luna had slipped him a note via Donghae.

"Have you heard?" it said in neat, printed writing.

Looking up at Luna he mouthed the words "No" and "What".

As Luna had tried to explain what had happened between Krystal and Minho with a series of elaborate hand gestures, the teacher, Mrs. Chu, stopped talking. She began telling her off for not paying attention, preventing Luna from finishing her explanation. Luckily, Onew had understood the general plot.

Throughout the rest of the day, all he heard were whispers about the gossip-worthy event. Walking down the hall with Minho, he decided to not to bring it up since everyone was already staring at him everywhere he went. From what Onew could tell, however, it didn't seem like Minho had been the one doing the dumping.

Onew smiled as he thought about his friend's convoluted love life. While Minho was more caught-up in school drama, Onew was known to be a laid-back, dependable person - with a habitude of clumsiness. His group mates and close friends, Minho, Jonghyun, Taemin and Key, had dubbed his clumsiness "Onew Condition".

As he entered the lower senior hallway, he say Key and Sunny.

"Hey," he called to them. They replied, greeting him in turn.

"Have you spoken with him?" Sunny asked earnestly, voice full of concern. She was clearly referring to Minho.

Onew explained that he thought it was best to leave him alone for the time being.

"Krystal is a biotch," Key said sassily. "Apparently she gave him no explanation at all."

Onew shrugged. He was hardly the type to insult people behind their backs. But Key... Key was a diva. He was the gossip king of their year and was surely one of the first to catch wind of the "Minstal" split. After saying goodbye to Kibum and Sunny, Onew climbed to the upper senior hallway and walked up to his locker, his fingers quickly dialing the combination. Checking his schedule, Onew noticed he had gym next.

"GYM!" He thought to himself. "That's all the way on the west side of campus." He slammed his locker shut, grabbing his duffel bag for Phys. Ed., and began tearing off down the hall. He could tell the other student trainees were staring but if he didn't run, he would be late. Skidding around the corner, he knocked into a petite girl, sending her books tumbling to the ground.

"Sorry!," he exclaimed, bending down to help her pick up her things. So much for not being late to gym class.

Luna straightened up. "Onew-sshi you are so clumsy." Seeing that it was Luna who he had knocked over, not some random first year trainee, Onew's face brightened.

"Yah!! Are smiling because you knocked me over."

Onew put on his best serious face which was, naturally, not very good. "No of course not." He winked at her.

After she had all of her books back securely in her arms, Onew apologized again before running off again. Of course, he was late for class. Coach Park was not exactly pleased, assigning him 2 extra laps around the soccer field.

Angrily, he began running around the field.

                                                                                             *****

Minho swore as he missed the net again, his ball soaring to left of the goal post. It landed on the grass, almost hitting his group mate Onew who was doing laps around the track. He wasn't giving the goalie much practice; he had kicked the ball wide on almost every shot that day. Not only that, during their scrimmage earlier, he hadn't shown any of his usual skills. And soccer was his favourite sport, his specialty.

He just couldn't focus. Not surprisingly though, considering the weekend he had had. He felt like a loser. He had never had his heart broken, but he imagined that it felt something like this. He felt as though he had been knocked over then trampled by a stampede of horses. It also didn't help that his personal life was analyzed by all the other trainees. All day, the other students had been staring and whispering as he passed through the hall, dying to know what really happened between Minho and Krystal. The truth was...

He had been dumped.

He thought back to his date on Saturday. He had decided to take Krystal to downtown Seoul to shop and see the sights. It was amazing... Or, at least Minho though it was. When he had driven her back to her house, things had taken a turn for the worse.

                                                                                      *****

They pulled into her driveway, Minho smoothly parking the car. He unclipped his seatbelt and turned to face her.

"Thank you for today," Krystal said sweetly, batting her eyelashes.

She was definitely gorgeous. She had an icy, majestic, almost goddess-like beauty about her. While Minho was fairly popular, he had still been flattered that she had wanted to go out with him, especially considering what a big crush he had on her. Not only was she stunning, she was also head cheerleader and one of the most popular girls at SM High.

He leaned in slightly closer to her. "It was hardly a chore," he replied honestly.

"You were supposed to have a soccer practice today but you blew it off for me."

"You're worth it."

He moved in closer to her, cupping her face with his hands. He kissed her tenderly, with the touch of someone who cares. But she seemed to tense at his contact, like ice cracking before it gives way. He felt it, gently pulling away.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his voice tightening. They had kissed many times before. What was different now? She was silent, merely looking down at her hands. "Krystal, what is it? You can tell me."

She opened , still looking at her lap. Her voice was barely a whisper. "I don't think we should see each other anymore."

His stomach dropped. How many times had someone said this on TV or in movies? He had never imagined he would be on the receiving end of the cliché line.

He was so confused and frazzled. "What?" he managed to ask with difficulty.

"I want to break up," she clarified, waiting for a response. Realizing she wasn't getting one, she continued, "I don't think our relationship is really working anymore. I don't feel the way I used to."

Apparently scared of his response, she grabbed her bag and ran out of the car, leaving Minho alone...

And rejected.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: OK so I actually updated pretty quickly :) *pats myself on the back* The third chapter is half-done and I will try to have it up by mid-week. I felt bad about making Krystal mean but I needed a villain (although there may be more to come). Please comment and subscribe ^_^ I appreciate it.