A Splash of Passion

My Boyfriend's Best Friend

 

Dozens of seniors packed around the front entrance of SM High on Thursday morning. Excited whispers passed from ear to ear as the trainees contemplated their upcoming trip. In just a few hours, they would be at the camp doing activities, hanging out with friends and, most importantly, not doing school work.
 
After 10 minutes, the buses finally showed up. The students put their luggage in the lower compartment of the buses and filed on board. The students were seated according to their groups since that was who they would be sharing a cabin with at camp.
 
SHINee and f(x) paired up twice per group, leaving one person left over from each group. Because they were the two odd ones out, Sulli found herself sitting with Key, not that either of them minded. At least it was better than sitting with Krystal.
 
Once the bus left, Key took the opportunity to interrogate Sulli.
 
"Sooo...” he started.
 
"What?"
 
"What's wrong with you?" He asked. "Something is obviously bothering you."
 
Her mind flashed back to her encounter with Minho the other day. *You have a boyfriend, spend time with him. It's not my job to keep you company.* He was right, she did have a boyfriend. Why did that mean they couldn't be friends? Why was he suddenly pushing her away? Most importantly, why did it hurt so much?
 
She suddenly remembered that Key had asked her a question. Despite the jumble of thoughts racing through her mind, she tried to play it off.
 
"Nothing's wrong," she replied, trying to sound nonchalant.
 
Key snorted. "That's obviously a lie."
 
Sulli denied his accusations. "It's not. I'm fine."
 
"Save it, Sulli," he said, half-angrily and half-teasingly. "I'm not as gullible as Taemin."
 
Sulli was quiet.
 
Key rambled on. "Fine. If you won't tell me yourself, I'll just spell it out for you." He began counting on his fingers. "One: you like Minho. Two: Minho is now avoiding you. Three: you like Taemin less but you don't want to hurt him."
 
Sulli looked at him incredulously.
 
"I know, I'm pretty impressive," Key said smugly.
 
Sulli began to protest. "No, that's not true. I don't like Taemin less than Minho. I love Taemin." She could hear some uncertainty in her voice but wanted to remain firm. "So stop it, Kibummie."
 
She turned away from him, causing him to drop the subject for the rest of the bus ride.
 
*****
 
Two hours later, the buses pulled up to the camp. It was a large lake, surrounded by about 10 little cabins. The woods spread over the mountains surrounding the area and into the valley.
 
As students bustled around excitedly, all their pent-up energy from the bus ride now being released, the teachers tried to get their attention. Finally, Mr. Cho managed to quiet them down.
 
"Make sure you take your luggage with you to your cabins. If you forgot what cabin number you're in, find a teacher to direct you. Finally, you are all expected back here in 30 minutes for the first activity. Any student who skips activities will be sent home. Am I clear?"
 
"Yes, Mr. Cho," the students chorused before running off to their cabins.
 
Just over 20 minutes later, SHINee returned from their cabin. They sat down on the bleachers along with everyone else and waited for the teachers to explain their first activity. 10 minutes later, Mr. Cho told everyone what they would be doing.
 
"For your first activity, you will be going sailing." A few soft cheers came from the students. "You will all be divided into teams of 4 and we will have free sail before we do some competitions later."
 
The teachers went around dividing the students up into teams. To Minho's dismay, he found himself on the same team as Sulli. In addition, Key and Sunny were also on their team.
 
When they climbed carefully onto the sailboat, Minho made sure to keep his distance from Sulli. When he sat down, he saw her glance at him with cold and stony eyes. His heart contracted, but he shouldn't be surprised. He wasn't exactly being nice to her.
 
As they began free sail, Minho felt his love of sports kick in. For a minute, he forgot about all his worries. He forgot about Taemin. He forgot about how much he liked Sulli. He forgot that he couldn’t have her. He forgot how much it killed him.
 
Halfway into free sail, he heard a splash. His head whipping around, he checked to see if it was anyone from his team. He realized almost instantly than Sulli was missing. He scanned the choppy lake water and saw her. Without thinking, he jumped into the water after her.
 
*****
 
Sulli hardly knew what was happening when she felt her body come into contact with frigid water. Realizing she must have fallen off the sailboat, she tried to regain her control of the situation. She managed to steady herself while treading water.
 
Suddenly, she felt a pair of arms wrap around her small frame, grabbing her from behind by the waist. She felt herself being dragged through the water. Someone, who she couldn’t see because they were behind her, pulled her back onto the sailboat. She pushed her sopping wet out of her eyes and looked up to see none other than Minho. Minho who had apparently been avoiding, telling her to stay away.
 
Still holding onto her, he was kneeling down next to her. He was dripping with water, his hair hanging in front of his eyes. His T-Shirt was sticking to him as he looked intently at her. His face looked both concerned and worried.
 
“Yah! I can swim just fine,” she pouted, pushing him away from her. No matter how sweet his action had been or how cute he looked at the moment, she was still angry at him.  “I didn’t need you to jump in after me!”
 
Minho ignored her. He stood up, looking away sheepishly. She was right. He had been stupid.
 
Soon Mr. Cho and a couple camp staff member came over in their motor boat. Seeing the two soaking wet teenagers, he sighed.
 
*Young love,* he thought, not realizing they weren’t even a couple. “Come on you two. We’ll give you a ride back to camp to get changed.”
 
Awkwardly, Sulli followed Minho onto the motor boat. As she went, she could have sworn she saw Key wink knowingly at her.
 
*****
 
After being dropped off, they were told to walk to their cabins and get changed into drier clothes. Sulli began to walk uphill to the girls cabins and realized Minho was walking with her.
 
She turned around. “Can I help you?”
 
He looked taken aback. “I was just going to walk you to your cabin,” he said, putting his hands up defensively. “Besides, I’m not the one who fell in the water, so stop glaring at me.”
 
Sulli only glared more fiercely. "Oh, so NOW you decide you aren't avoiding me anymore."
 
"You have a boyfriend!"
 
"What the hell does that have to do with anything?"
 
*It has to do with everything,* he thought. "You know what? You can walk yourself to your cabin." He walked off angrily, muttering about how he was just trying to be helpful.
 
Sulli watched him walk away, a sense of longing filling her. She felt a red hot anger inside her. Anger that could easily be a disguise for passion.
 
And as she walked up to her cabin, the only thing he could think of was Minho's shaggy wet hair and his arms wrapped around her.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
A/N: Some Minsul moments for you readers this chappie~ I hope you liked the update. I lost a couple subs last chapter (but also gained some) so I was doubting myself a bit... I wondered if there was something I was doing wrong or something I could do better. But hey, this is my story and I can't please everyone ^_^
 
That said, I'm always open to criticism and tips, so comment away! Is the fic too boring/slow/descriptive/etc.
 
ANYTHING you want to say to me, good or bad, you are welcome to say :)
 
On another note, thank you to everyone who has subbed, voted and commented. You beautiful people are my motivation <<<33333