A Blow to the Head

My Boyfriend's Best Friend

Sulli was a sensible, logical person. She was rarely caught off her guard but when Key told her about Minho and Krystal’s breakup, she found herself totally unprepared. She tried to convince herself that it didn’t change anything.

You like Taemin.

Taemin is your boyfriend.

He makes you happy.

And he’s Minho’s best friend.

You got over Minho last year when he started dating Krystal.

Or so she had thought. She had tried to get over him because he had started dating Krystal. Even though she had her own group of friends, she was also very close with the other group members of f(x). But he wasn’t dating Krystal anymore, was he? And he didn’t dump her, did he? She dumped him. Why would she ever break up with someone so…

Stop.

Taemin is your boyfriend and you are happy.

She was happy. Taemin was her boyfriend. But something had changed, she could feel it. Minho was her friend, but was it just that? Was that what she wanted?

She decided to go for a walk to clear her head. Maybe the fresh air would open her eyes.

                                                                                              *****

Minho got home from soccer practice late. The sky was lit only by the moon, which was merely a sliver in the dark sky. He crept inside his house, grabbing a snack before climbing quietly up the stairs in an effort not to wake anyone. He placed his sports bag at the foot of his bed before slumping down on the floor.

Today had , to say the least. He was grateful that his friends had been careful not to mention the breakup, but he could still feel the awkwardness. SHINee and f(x) were close. He knew that what had happened would definitely cause uncomfortable tension.

Yesterday he had been sad, but today his sorrow had morphed into fiery, bitter anger. He knew their relationship wasn’t a game, but he still felt as though he had lost. He hated losing. He hated not being good enough.

Within 5 minutes of trying to fall asleep, Minho knew he wouldn’t be able to. Oddly enough, even though both practices had gone terribly today, he felt a strong desire to play soccer. He felt like he needed to release some emotion and if that came from pounding a soccer ball into the back corner of the net, so be it.

He changed out of his pajamas, putting on fresh practice clothes, and headed back out of the house, into the night.

                                                                                               *****

She had just wanted to walk. Somehow, subconsciously, Sulli's feet had simply guided her back towards the school. When she stopped walking, she found herself in front of the soccer field. She wasn’t sure why. It was like her heart had been magnetically pulled there.

She walked to the end of the field, sitting down on a wooden bench. It was clearly beaten down from years of being subjected to teenagers’ destructive ways. It was covered in graffiti. Things like “Mr. Geum is a ” and “J + H = Forever” were scrawled across the seat in messy writing. Next to her left thigh, she noticed a drawing of a heart with “MH + K” written inside. Suddenly, she felt sick to her stomach. It was pretty obvious who that was about. But why was she jealous if she was over him and she had a boyfriend?

She got up, wanting to go home. As she walked across the field behind the soccer net, a soccer ball hit her right in the side of the head, knocking her over.

She looked up, her vision a bit blurry, only to see a tall figure running towards her.

                                                                                               *****

It was dark when Minho arrived at the soccer field. He laced up his cleats, walking over in front of the net. He stared at the ball for a minute, trying to focus and clear his head of emotions, before kicking it towards the net. Unfortunately, he put too much force behind it, causing it to soar over the cross bar and hit a passerby.

Minho saw the girl fall to the ground as the ball hit her in the head. How had he not noticed she was there?

Aish.

He jogged over to her to see if she was alright. It was the least he could do considering he had just pummeled the side of her face with a soccer ball. As he ran closer, he saw that it was Sulli. Oddly enough, he was relieved. At least it wasn’t some stranger who might get mad at him.

“Oh Sulli… I’m so sorry. Are you all right?” he asked, wrapping his arm around her. She didn't look okay. 

She stared at him with a dazed expression. “Umm… I think so.” She began to stand up.

“Whoa, not so fast,” Minho put his hand on her arm, trying to steady her. “You just took quite the blow to the head. I don’t mean to brag but I have a pretty strong kick.”

She smiled at him, appreciating his cuteness. Then she started to feel sick. “I don’t feel so – ”

Sulli’s dizziness took over, causing her to pass out. Minho caught her as she fell, but she was out cold.

“Aigoo…” he sighed, carrying her towards his car. “To the hospital we go.”

Not exactly what he had pictured happening that night.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Okay so I apologize if this chapter seems short or rushed but I'm trying to keep up with my updates. The next chapter will hopefully be up by Saturday :)

Please comment, subscribe and vote! I really appreciate it ^_^