Attention

Maknae Love

 

Sungjong and I started to talk a lot more. I found out that he had a younger sister named Lee Sangmi, who was age 11, and that his favorite band that he liked to listen to was 4Minute.

But the more and more I talked with Sungjong, the more and more unwanted things I got. Threats, stares, a couple bruises. All of them were from fangirls. I didn't mind any of them, except for one thing.

Attention.

I hated the attention. I wish I could just kiss the attention goodbye. I wish Sungjong wasn't a extremely handsome-looking kingka. I wish there were no fangirls. I wish that Sungjong wasn't in Infinite.

If my wishes were true, I would have been best friends with Sungjong by now. But I'm not.

Because I don't want attention.

But Sungjong... he follows me as much as possible. It was almost like he thought I was a part of Infinite. Which is completely impossible because there are about two hundred fangirls he could be best friends with. Instead, he chose to follow me around. Why? I have no idea.

I entered Mr. Kim's class this morning, and my heart sank to find that Sooeun was here today. I sighed and sat down in my seat, taking out a book. "Annyeong," Sungjong said, smiling and taking out a book of his own.

"Annyeong Sungjong," I mumbled, too focused on the best part of the book.

He acted as if he didn't mind, and started to fake read again. I never knew why he did that.

"Annyeong Sungjong oppa!" Sooeun said in a girlish voice. Gosh, you have no idea how much I wanted to vomit right on my book.

"Annyeong." Sungjong said plainly, pretending to continue to 'read'.

I looked up at Sooeun. She furrowed her eyebrows at Sungjong. Her hands were behind her back. "Sungjong oppa, I have a present for you." She batted her eyelashes even though Sungjong was barely paying attention to her.

Sungjong finally looked up. "Sooeun...I'm sorry but - "

Sooeun shoved a pink glittery box in front of him. Aish, that girl has glitter, plastic, and fake written all over her. "Sungjong oppa, I hope you like my present. I made the chocolates myself. Their white chocolate with pink hearts made with frosting~!" She made them herself? I stared hard at the glitter, and finally saw some letters: M de fr m Th  Ch i B k ry

Bingo. It said 'Made from The Choi Bakery', so she bought the chocolates from The Choi Bakery. She's pretty bad at lying.

Sungjong blinked in surprise. "Oh, um, gamsamnida, Sooeun." He took the box and examined it for a moment. Then he stuffed the box in his backpack. My eyes widened at all the gifts inside. I wonder if Perfection's backpacks look the same. Sungjong zipped his backpack, but stopped midway, only to find his hand covered in pink glitter. He pretended to gag. I giggled a bit and went back to reading my book.

A note slipped onto my desk. I stared at it curiously, and opened it up.

Sadly, it was written in glittery purple pen.

Lee Haekrin, if you think you can win Sungjong over me, your WRONG. Sungjong is MINE. Laughing with him isn't going to help you. But giving pretty gifts to him and having a REAL heart like mine WILL have him head-over-heels for me. So THE END. Now go cry to you umma that you're too ugly for MY Sungjong.

First of all, my name is Lee Hyorin. Second of all, I DON'T CARE. Go ahead, ask him out and watch my reaction. I would be peacefully reading my book and not at all caring. You know what, since you keep saying "MY SUNGJONG" why can't you two just get on with it and marry each other? I wouldn't care a single bit.

I lied. Wait, aniyo! Lee Hyorin, you didn't lie. You don't have feelings for that kingka, right? You don't care. You don't care about that overly handsome-looking, smart, kind - ANIYO! Lee Hyorin, stop thinking about these lies! Lee Sungjong is...a bit less than a friend.

Your freaking messed up Lee Hyojin. How in the universe can you not love Sungjong?

Are you trying to say that you WANT me to fight him over you? Because I would just let you win. Sooeun, stop making this fight so serious because I have no feelings for Sungjong.

Hahaha! Let me WIN? No, I would WIN him over you! Why can't you just go to hell right now, Lee Hyorin? And I'm saying your actual name, because I mean it. I don't want some innocent, pretty girl named Lee Haekrin or Lee Hyojin out there to die. But I want YOU to get out of my way. Sungjong is MINE. And there's not a single thing you can do about it. If you died at this moment, I'd be celebrating.

A tear was about to roll down my cheek, but I pushed it back with all my strength. I wasn't going to show Sooeun my weakness.

The bell rang, and I let out a long sigh. My tears were so close to spilling out. Sooeun smirked and passed by me, purposely knocking over my backpack. My vision was blurry because of my tears."Bye, Sungjong oppa! I'll see you later in Mr. Choi's class~!" Sooeun gave a little wave and a wink, but Sungjong was already busy helping me pick up my backpack. Sooeun pouted and crossed her arms, stomping out of the room. Secretly thanking my bangs for being in front of my face, my wet eyes wandered to Sungjong's and our eyes locked for a quick second, then I looked away with a giant blush on my face. He brushed my bangs out of my eyes.

A tear slipped.

I grabbed my backpack as fast as possible and slung it over my shoulder, leaving the room as fast as I could. I wiped the tear away and kept running away from Sungjong. I just had to cry in front of Sungjong. Why? OMO. This is the worst day ever... Just then, I stopped running and slowed to a walk. Why would I care if Sungjong saw me cry? He probably thought of me as a stupid, ugly, nerdy girl, like everyone else, right? There's no point of trying to...

"Lee Hyorin!" Sungjong's voice echoed in the halls. Good thing not many people were still in the hallways. I sprinted to my locker and opened it hurriedly, only to have it slammed shut.

I didn't dare look at Sungjong. I tilted my head away from him. The hallways were silent, with no footsteps within ear shot. Meaning that...we were alone.

"Hyorin, are you okay?" Sungjong asked softly.

"Ne," I answered plainly.

"Aniyo, your not. There's a reason why your crying and if there's a way I could help - " Sungjong stopped talking. I was confused for a second, but then he grabbed my wrist. "Hyorin...have you been hurting yourself? Look at these bruises..."

Oh. That's why. "Sungjong, I'm not hurting myself. They're..."

Sungjong pulled down my sleeve down to my elbow. "Omo! Hyorin, you need to go to the nurse!"

"Aniyo. They're just a couple bruises...I'm fine." I mumbled.

"Hyorin, these aren't just a couple bruises. Have you even looked at you arm? It's covered with scars and blood stains...you shower, don't you?" Sungjong asked somewhat politely.

"Um, ne." I answered awkwardly, still facing the other direction from Sungjong, not daring to look his way. "They're...new."

"What do you mean, new?!" Sungjong still didn't let go of my arm.

"They're from today." I said in a faint whisper. Tears formed in my eyes, but I didn't know why.

"Who did this to you, Lee Hyorin? I'll tell them to stop. I'll hurt them back if you want. I could call the principal, I can call the nurse right now, I can..."

"The fangirls." I said plainly.

I could practically hear Sungjong's jaw dropping. "T-the f-fangirls did this t-to y-you?" He asked with a stutter.

"Ne." I said plainly again. "It's mainly Sooeun, but it's nothing big." I lied. The bruises hurt more than usual now. But as long as I didn't get attention, I was perfectly fine with the idea of lying. "They do it basically everyday. I'm used to the pain."

Sungjong stayed in a dead silence. I heard a box clatter to the smooth floor, and saw pink sparkles flying and sticking to sides of my shoes. Sooeun's chocolates. "Lee Hyorin, I need you to stay quiet for a minute and let me say this. You are going to do exactly as I say. Okay?" I stayed quiet, still not looking at Sungjong. "First of all, why can't I at least see your face? Stop staying away from me." I didn't move a single bit. Sungjong sighed. "Fine then. Second of all, I'm taking you to the nurse. Third, I'm telling Mr. Kwon about this bullying situation. And fourth, all those bruises are going to be returned back to Sooeun after school. And you're probably wondering exactly who's going to do that? Hoya hyung and Dongwoo hyung will take care of that. Don't worry, they're not going to kill her. I wouldn't let them, even if I do hate Sooeun so much. I'm just going to return every bruise she gave you back to her. So then It would be fair. That Lee Sooeun can get a taste of her own bitter medicine." Sungjong said coldly.

I finally whirled my head around. "ANIYO!" My voice echoed through the halls. "Sungjong," I said his name with such care it was almost like I was in love with him. Which, I am definitely not...I'm pretty sure. "That would leave me to attention. And then people would think that we love each other which is completely not - "

Sungjong leaned his face closer to mine so that there were only about two inches between my eyes and his. "Which is completely not a - "

The late bell rang. Mr. Kwon stepped out of his office. He cleared his throat, which caused Sungjong and I to back away from each other, stunned at how time could go by so fast. "Sungjong and Hyorin, I advise you to go to your class now. You're already late."

I gasped and opened my locker, taking out two books without reading the titles. I paused for half a second to say something really quick to Sungjong.

"Lee Sungjong, don't ever talk to me ever again. The attention...is just too much."

I slammed my locker shut and ran to Mr. Choi's class.