Chapter 4

The Alpha

 

You were sitting at the lake, reading a book and enjoying the nice weather. You liked to read books when you were alone. It was a way to escape the reality for you. You enjoyed reading books about love and cities. You’ve never been in a big city before. You and Kris once made a promise to each other, that you will visit Seoul one day together. You were thinking about you and Kris a lot, and you wished that one day you would be more than friends. His feelings sometimes confused you, you were friends but on the other hand you had something much more than friendship, at least that’s what you hoped.

The pack was leaving today, they were heading to the mountains where they were going to spend the night. Kris went to find you before they leave. He saw you at the lake with a book in your hands. He slowly walked towards you and sat down beside you. You moved your look from the book to him and smiled. He smiled back and then looked up to the sky, leaning back on his hands. “The sky is so clear today,” he said. You laid down on your back and watched the blue sky above you. “Do you think it’s time?” he asked. “Maybe.” You answered. He looked from the sky to you and observed your beauty. You were so breathtaking beautiful to him, your long hair, pale skin, orange-brown eyes, and slim body… everything about you was just perfect to him. Everyone in the pack had the opinion he should become the alpha, but there was one thing more important than that; you turning into a wolf. He was positive you will be the one. You were the daughter of the alpha, even your human form resembled a wolf.

You turned your head to him as you felt his look on you. He blinked a couple of times and then turned back to the sky. You smiled and closed your eyes. The sun was so warm and you became more and more sleepy. You felt him lay down next to you and put an arm over your waist. Your heart started beating fast and the butterflies were back. You were laying there in silence, you could smell his scent that was surrounding you, you felt his chest rise and fall as he breathed next to you. You slowly started to drift away.

The sun was setting low and he heard howling, calling him. You were still asleep, he kissed you on the head gently and then got up. It was time to go, they had just enough time before the moon rises. The wolf pack left the valley and headed towards the mountain. The howling from the elder wolfs was heard, wishing good luck to the pack.

You began to feel very cold and you shivered. You woke up and opened your eyes. The sun was set already, and the moon began to rise. You quickly picked up your book and went inside. You knew the pack left already so you changed your clothes and drove to the village. All the people were gathered at the beach around the campfire.

“Oh hey honey, you finally came.” Your grandma welcomed you. You hugged her and apologized for being so late. She told you to sit down and warm up.  All the eyes were on you, like they were expecting something to happen. The other girls were chatting and you overheard them talking about the new she-wolf. “I wish I could be the one so I could marry Kris!” … “Oh, no I want to marry Tao, but who do you think it’s going to be the new alpha?”… “It’s Kris duuh… but everyone in the village has been talking about that girl Eunmi that lives with him, apparently she is going to be the new she-wolf.” … “psh, why her?” … “her dad used to be an alpha and well just look at her, she freaking looks like a wolf.” …   You sighed, you couldn’t listen to them anymore. You stood up and walked to the water. The waves were hitting the shore just at the tip of your toes. The moon was reflecting on the ocean, the scenery was magical. As one of the strongest waves hit the shore, the first howl was heard. And then two more, all together 3 howls, which were signaling the new alpha was chosen. You recognized that howl, it was Kris.

 Everyone started clapping and cheering. The elders howled to the moon, thanking for the new alpha. You were happy, finally the pack will have a leader, but on the other hand you were scared. You felt nothing, nothing inside you changed. You felt hands on your arms, your grandma was looking questioning at you. You shook your head and looked the ground. She patted you on the head and hugged you. You felt a tear escaping your eyes, with all your heart you wished you were the one to run into his arms tonight. But you weren't.

You bid goodbye to your grandma, saying you were tired and wanted to get some sleep. You left, but you didn’t go home. You took your way right to the woods, you found the path that was guiding to the cliff. You walked fast, almost ran to the top. You got out of the woods and the wind and cold air hit your face. You walked to the edge, where you and Kris used to always sit together, and slowly sat down. You swung your legs over the edge, above the ocean. You tried to absorb all of the moon light, hoping for something to happen. You let the hot tears fall down your cheeks, you looked at the ocean. You felt so useless, you weren’t even good enough to become his wife. And your heart was shattered.

You heard someone closing on you, you knew it was him. You could feel him every time he was close, you just knew it. You wiped your tears and exhaled heavily. He sat beside you and looked at you, you looked at him and then back to the sky. You couldn’t hold it in, you started sobbing and he breathed out heavily. You knew he was disappointed in you, you could sense it. A tear escaped his bright eyes and he looked at the moon and then back to you. He came closer and lowered his head rubbing it against you. You closed your eyes and inhaled his scent. You leaned on his strong body and buried your fingers in his soft coat. With him beside you, you felt safer, you felt at home. You felt like everything is going to be alright… 

____________________________________________________________________________________

Comment & Subscribe..