Arcade

Finding Yourself in Seoul

“Are you sure that map of yours is correct?” Kai bluntly asked.

 

The map of directions on your phone, which you thought you could trust, was leading both of you through unknown streets. It was now clearly making it more complicated than you thought it would ever be and the two of you have been walking in awkward silence for almost 20 minutes. Kai was originally walking behind you but as the two of you were getting seemingly more and more lost, he started walking right beside you.

 

“Well, it did say it was the most trustworthy of map apps there is... So I guess?” you said, already very confused. “It can’t be that hard! Right?” you asked positively, he just gave you a brooding glare. “We can always ask someone!” you said, giving him an apologetic smile.

 

“No,” he said with a hint of anger. “We’ll find it on our own.” That’s odd... Did he just he say we?

 

The two of you walked to an intersection of streets. The choices were either turning right, left or to keep going forward. “Then which way do you suggest?” you asked, your tone slightly sarcastic.

 

Kai turned left without even replying, taking giant strides with his long legs. You had to jog at first to catch up. Even though you were an average height, he was still a lot taller than you which sometimes made him even more intimidating.

 

After walking in silence for another five minutes, you finally broke it and asked timidly, “Why do you hate me so much?”

 

“Wha-?” he said, giving you a confused look.

 

You cleared your throat nervously, “I sai- I said... What reasons do you have to make you hate me so much?” you asked this time with more confidence, your voice clear as well.

 

Your question obviously shocked him because he suddenly then tripped on a crack on the sidewalk but still managed to gracefully catch himself. When he regained his composure he just laughed and shook his head, not answering you.

 

You whipped your head to look at him and narrowed your eyes, “Fine then, just so you know, I actually think you’re easier to hate than me.”

 

“I wouldn’t go that far,” he said sincerely, “I can be quite charming if I try, I would just never even try and make the effort for you.”

 

You faked emotional pain, dramatically putting the back of your hand against your forehead, “What am I EVER going to do now??” you questioned, acting hysterical.

 

He just chuckled and shifted his backpack on his broad shoulders. You looked at your phone because it was starting to beep like crazy. Now, a bright green arrow on your screen was rapidly pointing at a building that was across the street from where you were walking.

 

Apparently to the map, that’s where the arcade was. “I think... we finally found this damn place,” you said.

 

“Alright, let’s go!” Kai replied, stepping down from the sidewalk and onto the road. You followed after him but then sprinted across because of your paranoia of getting hit by a random car.

 

 

 

 

Making your way inside, you had to duck through a thick curtain covering the doorway. It seemed discourage natural light from making it’s way inside. Your ears were immediately filled with loud noises of all sorts. Mechanical ones such as; beeps, pops, dings, and zings. Then human ones like; laughter, shouts, delighted screams and chatter.

 

You and Kai went up the the main counter where an employee was standing. “I’d like to buy some tokens for the arcade,” Kai said. You rolled your eyes at his polite and charm-filled disposition. Now he was being a gentleman, only in public of course. He paid for a large amount of tokens and you gave him a small smile of gratitude.

 

“Which game do you want to pay first?” you inquired.

 

“Your favorite,” he simply stated, counting out all the coins he had in his hands.

 

You smiled then looked around at the wide range of games to play, “Well what about this one?” you pointed to one of the racing games.

 

“Great!” he said warmly, “Now I can beat your at it,” he added then smirked.

 

“Hah! Just wait, I’m amazing at this one,” you said obnoxiously. Skipping in front of him to choose the first chair.

 

 

 

 

Several games later, you rested your hands behind your head in satisfaction. A smug smile appeared on your face. Defeat registered across his and you smiled even wider. He’s definitely not the typical boy at all is he? Usually they’re great at video games.. You then mentally slapped yourself for being so stereotypical, plus who would have time to play games when someone like him was always practicing?

 

Still, you then confidently expressed your win and said, “And you thought you could beat me.”

 

“Let’s see if you can beat me at my game, shall we?” he commented and got up. You followed him through the midst of the mind-jarringly loud games and weaved through the people. He stopped at one of the most popular games they had at the arcade.

 

It was the giant setup of the DDR game, the one with the two platforms of arrows of directions. The game where you could dance to any song as long as you had the eye-coordination and speed. Even though you were a dancer you never tried one of these. Every time you saw this game it was either when some fools were completely failing at it or someone was dancing so intensely you swear the whole panel was shaking.

 

You crossed one of your arms and grabbed your elbow for some mental comfort. Trying to think of a way to not play this game, it was definitely out of your comfort zone. Plus wouldn’t it be weird to have all these people watching you? You searched your mind for an excuse, something. Anything. “Wait! Wouldn’t it be better to rest instead? Why do you we have to dance on our day off?” you complained.

 

His eyes widened in fake surprise, “Oh! So you’re scared of defeat, are you?” You hesitated at first but then not wanting you show any weaknesses, you firmly shook your head and joined him in line.

 

It was finally your turn, you in a shaky breath and stepped onto the platform. You wanted to laugh at yourself for being so nervous, but you did have some logical reasons... Like all these people watching, the chance that you could fall flat on your face, and the worst yet, is that Kai would completely dominate you and then he would never let you live that defeat down, you knew that.

 

He looked like a pro, leaning his elbows on the back bar as you pushed your tokens into the slot. “You can choose the song if you want,” he said casually.

 

“Sure!” you faked a corny smile and started searching through the lists of songs. Fortunately they said what kind of level of difficulty they were and you knew you were going to pick a beginner song.

 

Stomping your feet on a “easy level” song, you cracked your neck ready to give this all you got, even if it was just a stupid game.

 

“Why’d you pick one of the easiest songs?” Kai scoffed, and looked at your uneasy face.

 

“Are you judging me for picking my favorite song right now now? Aishhh-chincha, lighten up,” you said, trying to sound confident. Fake it til you make it, right?

 

He looked like he wanted to say something else but the song came on forcing yours and his attention to the colorful arrows being displayed on the screen. Luckily, your strategy at picking one of the easiest songs worked. Your feet had no trouble hitting the right arrows and your body had no difficulties at getting the semi-fast paced beats. Kai was just as easily hitting the notes too and if anything looked bored.

 

People were starting to gather around the two of you, just watching Kai mostly. He needs to stop attracting so much attention. “I’m picking the next song!” he called out right before he slammed his feet into a double combo. You looked at his score, he was ahead of you by only a little. He was getting more “perfects” than you were.

 

Sooner than later the song was over, and unfortunately Kai won. You groaned as he energetically turned towards you, “Seems like I won ___” he smiled confidently then added, “Looks like you’re not good enough. Again.”

 

“Oh?” you raised your eyebrows, not letting his insult get to you, “Let’s try again, and this time you can pick a song.”

 

“So that’s a challenge now?” he questioned curiously, now raising his eyebrows.

 

“You can count on it,” you said sternly, then firmly placed yourself back starting position and in front of the screen.

 

He selected one of the hardest songs and it immediately started playing. Oh no. You took a deep breath and started moving extremely fast to keep up with pace. The arrows flew past the screen and you started to concentrate with a much effort as you could muster. You didn’t even bother looking at Kai, or the scores, just what hits you were getting and the next arrow.

 

You could faintly hear people cheering, and ‘oohing’ and ‘ahhing’. That only pushed you to try harder and at last the song finally ended. You turned around and leaned your forearms on the back bar, gasping for breath. A rather large crowd was gathered around you and Kai, and you smiled at them to be polite and acknowledge their interest. You glanced at Kai who was heaving just as heavy as you were. He was doubled over also just like you, and you caught a glimpse of his prominent collar bones underneath his shirt. Your hands tightened around the bar, but when you exhaled, your grip lessened and you straightened up. 

 

Both of you turned around at the same time and looked the final scores.

 

You won. YOU WON. You jumped in the air with satisfactory glee and yelled happily. Everyone was cheering happily with you, and you gave him a wide smile. “Beat you at your own game did I?”

 

Kai just smiled slightly and shook his head before waving to the crowd and stepped off the platform, walking away. You took that as your cue to leave and followed after him. Dancing crazily along the side of him, you started singing a weird tune of laughter. He rolled his eyes but you saw him bite his lip to fend off a smile.

 

“I’m the best,” you said smugly with sarcasm as you stopped you crazy actions and started walking normally. “Oh yeah! We need to take a selca to prove that we were here!” you said as you recalled the director’s instructions.

 

“Here, let me,” Kai replied casually. Pulling his phone out of his jean pocket, he quickly put it in camera mode and brought it in front of the two of you. Pursing your lips and making a pose you waited for him to click the shot. The camera made a shutter noise and he then locked his phone and put it in his back pocket.

 

“Now let’s see if we can find our way back,” you said aimlessly as the two of you walked through the thick musty curtains once again and went outside.

 

Cool air hit your face and the streets seemed a lot less busy now, you now wished you brought a hoodie so you wouldn’t be so chilled. Wrapping your arms around yourself you started leading the way across the street. Kai seemed at ease with the new weather but his face was now a blank slate, emotionless.

 

You rolled your eyes at his moodiness and looked at your phone opening the same app you used before. You pursed your lips in thought and said, “I think if we try to retrace our steps we’ll get there in better time than before,”

 

“Great,” he said. Okaaay, Mr. Crabbypants seems like a sore loser.

 

Luckily, the two of you got back to the building in a lot less time than it took to get to the arcade. Director-nim’s instructions was that you could do whatever you like for the rest of the day, if you and/or your partner needed to practice the dance rooms were open, or you could just regain your energy for the next day.

 

He was silent for the rest of the walk home and in the elevator, on the way up to the floor where the dorms were. You tried to not look at his temperamental features and instead focus on the dull plain numbered buttons in front of you.

 

The elevator’s door opened and you walked out with poise, “Shoulder’s back, back straight, chin up...” your mother’s voice rang quietly in your head.

 

“Oh yeah, one thing,” you said, stopping the both of you in your tracks once you reached your door. “Don’t be such a baby whenever something doesn’t go your way, maybe you can learn a thing or two once in awhile,” you tried to say sincerely. The kid needed advice, but why were you giving this jerk help when he was more than likely only out to ruin you?

 

“You’re right.” he replied, “Dance off then. To settle today. Tonight in one of the private practice rooms,” he said, giving you a sideways smirk and then jamming his door open to only slam it shut in your face.