It's Only The Start

Finding Yourself in Seoul

Class was about to start. You were sitting on the floor, your back against the wall. Your body was already warmed up and loose so you were just observing everyone else.

 

Since you’ve been here, some of the other students were finally starting to accept you. Even with your mistakes and indifferences, a couple of people already came up to you and asked where you were yesterday. It seemed like they were being genuine and you were grateful for their presence even though you didn’t even know some of their names.



 

When it was finally time for class to start, Director-Nim walked in. Immediately the atmosphere changed.The once friendly people around you grew more serious and had a competitive vibe buzzing around them. I need to be right with them right now, I should be feeling the same thing right now. …. But I don’t.


 

Inhaling a huge breath of air, you pushed yourself up and joined the crowd that was gathering around Director Nim. He was flipping through papers on his clipboard and glancing up from time to time, looking at the students. He was scribbling some random notes now and then as well. When he looked up at you, nothing changed in his facial expression. However, previously when he noticed you and some other students, he always smiled or said something. But today, he just gave you a blank look, almost cold. You felt a guilty pit in your stomach starting to grow and shifted on your feet uncomfortably.


 

Without realizing it, you surveyed the room, looking for that one person. That one person that made your heart beat out of your chest, and your hands start to sweat while your mouth went dry. But, you didn’t see him. Trying to test and grab onto what you were feeling, you couldn’t seem to uncover what it exactly was. He wasn’t here. Even still, you honed into Director-Nim’s voice and started to pay attention to his announcements.

 


“I’ve noticed that some of you are starting to slack off,” he implored. “Some of you think there aren’t any consequences to that. That there’s no reaction to your actions.” He set his jaw before he continued, “Don’t expect any favors for lack of work, and I expect to see these people working harder than the rest. Now warmup.” Director Nim’s arms were crossed and he was giving everyone a firm, hard look. Resting his eyes on you for a few seconds.


 

The group dispersed quietly. Even the ones that did nothing wrong were ashamed by the director’s honesty. You kept your head down and walked to the bar, dragging your feet with guilt. Already warmed and stretched out, warm up was an even easier breeze than it usually was. The students didn’t know you practiced the whole entire night so your flexibility looked impressive. You sunk into splits with simplicity and stretched your head down, feeling your muscles stretchl through your body easily. You wanted to ask the director what you’d do if Kai wasn’t here, but you knew that now really wasn’t the time.


 

Taking another ten minutes to stretch in order to keep your muscles limber, you stood up and walked to a group of mutual friends you knew from Eun Bi. Eun Bi was in the center of them, it looked like she was telling a really funny story by the reaction of everyone else.  You strolled up to the group but when they noticed your presence, they all stopped talking and stared at you with a look of foreignness. Unsure of what was happening you shared a timid smile in hopes to lighten things.

 

That didn’t help anything at all, it just put you in more of a vulnerable position then you were in before. Glancing at Eun Bi, the two of you made eye contact. What usually is a bright and happy smile from her, was just a smug, bitter look.

 

You could tell you weren’t welcome here. Having no energy to further intrude, you announced, “I’ll see you guys later!” Briskly walking away, you could feel needlepoint daggers being thrown into your back. Trying to shrug it off and swallow the anxiety that was rising in your throat, you went up to the front mirror where others were dancing. You picked up their moves and started moving in sync with them. Extending and contracting your body elegantly and with grace.

 

They were performing ballet moves, which was your niche. One of your strong points, and the structure and form of ballet gave you comfort in it’s perfection. You grew up dancing with your friends on the streets, that kind of dancing is known as the style of hip-hop. You often went to the community centers in your city and free danced with others. That was how you made a majority of your friends. When you parents saw whatever they saw in you, they put you in classes which allowed nothing of the sort of dancing you danced before. They were ballet classes, and were the complete opposite of everything your body was comfortable and used to doing.

 

Ballet was grueling for you at first, but over the years, you got better and better and became one of the top in the class. Ballet was so much hard work and pain that it became rewarding. It’s now something you find comfort in, like your favorite sweater or tea mug.


 

Now you and the others that were dancing, had the whole floor. Everyone that wasn’t dancing moved to the walls. One, out of respect and two, it was fascinating to watch. Director Nim was surveying us, his arms crossed and eyes narrowed. All of you went into first and then second position, preparing to take off into a triple turn. You spun effortlessly on your feet, ignoring the searing pain it caused because you weren’t wearing proper shoes.

 

After landing, you did a split leap in the air towards the back of the room. Magically one other person performed the same move, you two were in complete harmonious movement.

 

Landing from the split, you were now towards the back of the room. You and your harmonious partner silently agreed to end the impromptu dance and you went to the back wall to take a quick breather.


 

The entry door opened almost into you, you edged out of the way but turned to look who it was.

 

Your breath vanished and it felt like the room had been emptied of all oxygen. Your heart felt like it went to a sudden and painful stop.

 

Kai.

 

It was Kai.

 

Kai. Kai. Kai. Kai. Kai. His name was repeating over and over in your head, just like a song skipping over and over again. It couldn’t get past that one part, it was stuck on it.


 

He turned his head towards you, your eyes popping out of your head. Did I say his name out loud? No, I’m just crazy.

 

You saw his eyes recognize you, you felt like you could see everything in those deep, dark, never-ending, heartbreaking eyes.


You couldn’t stare anymore, even if it was only for half a second. Your body took over and you felt yourself bolting out of the room. To wherever your feet took you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is all for you my lovely and loyal readers!! 
This chaper was so much fun to write kekekeke.

What are you thinking?

<3- Minji