Night Out On The Town

Finding Yourself in Seoul

 

You saw out of the corner of your eyes his mouth turn into a cocky smirk. Your eyes were still locked onto his, and vice versa. You stood frozen, your body unwilling to move, your eyes unwilling to look away. Even though your mind was screaming at you to do something.

 

Still holding your gaze, he picked up his glass drink and strolled over to you. As sly and graceful as a cat. You were still staring at his eyes as he made his way over. The lights reflected against his irises, making him look even more cat-like and mysterious.

 

 

“Want some?” he smoothly asked.

 

Your throat was completely dry, “Do they have water?” you could only croak out.

 

A glimmer of humor appeared, which you easily noticed since you were still gawking at him and standing there like an awkward statue.

 

“They have everything but water,” he emphasized. Your prude behavior was rewarded with an amused smile on his behalf.

 

You your dry lips, “Well, I’ll be fine for now I guess, but thanks.” Finally regaining some control over your own body, you forced your eyes away from him and too your surroundings. “Have you been here before?” you asked.

 

“I guess you’ll have to find out,” he said ever-so smoothly. He calmly grabbed your hand and lead you over to the bar. Sparks of emotion were firing off in your stomach, this feels so weird...

 

The darkness somehow intensified his character. His usual secretive demeanor now seemed mysterious. His overpowering tone was laced with charm and if you caught it correctly; lust. What didn’t change was his natural grace that made everything he did look effortless.

 

He lightly leaned over the table and mentioned something in the bartender’s ear. The bartender nodded and left, and then Kai’s attention returned to you. Your brain was attempting to take everything in. All the people, noise, smells, lights. It almost felt like an overload on your senses.

 

Kai was the overload though. He was the thing that was threatening your brain to go into overdrive and burn itself up in a frenzy. But as your eyes slid over to his relaxed face, it didn’t seem like it. He now didn’t seem like a threat. Even though, he usually did.

 

Keeping calm, although all your thoughts were jumbled, you evenly returned his gaze. Your faux confidence didn’t seem to be believable, he could read you easily. Wild humor now filled his eyes, he smiled like a cat that just caught a mouse. You should have been worried, or maybe a little helpless because you put yourself in such a powerless situation, but you were so unused to seeing all of this emotion from Kai. He usually looked like a blank slate, only letting anger or bitterness escape.

 

 

Only after all those thoughts, you returned to reality and realized you were staring blankly at the glass counter. “What did you order me?” you asked hesitantly.

 

“Tonic water,” he replied. Casually still observing you. “Don’t worry there’s nothing in it,” he said with a short laugh, as confusion crossed your face.

 

A small pre-thanks escaped your lips but you still didn’t reach for the glass. The DJ seemed to have turned up the music a few notches because you couldn’t even hear yourself.

 

“What?!” Kai now shouted, wanting clarification on what you said.

 

“I said thank you!”

 

“What did you say?!” Ugh, I guess I’m not loud enough.

 

Only thinking of one way for him to hear you, you hastily leaned into his ear. You felt your cheek brush against his as your lips moved towards his ear. Lightly clearing your throat before you spoke, you thanked him again, which you hoped would be the last time.

 

Kai turned his head toward yours so he was now looking at the profile of your face. “My pleasure,” he purred.

 

Pulling back slightly, you wondered why he was being so polite and charismatic towards you. “I thought you hated me, what’s changed?” you said in his ear once more.

 

He pulled away from you and leaned back into his chair. He took a sip of his drink was he was apparently still thinking. You looked at his throat, you saw his adam’s apple bob up and down as the liquid went down his throat. You gulped hugely. Get a grip on yourself, ____. He looked at his cup, swirling the drink around with a small movement of his wrist. A smirk appeared as his eyes flickered to yours. “You interest me, I guess,” he said, finally. With that, you noticed that the bartender had returned with your drink. Kai took it from him and held it out for you. “If you’re still scared, I can assure you, it’s pretty much sparkling water.”

 

“Right,” you replied. I really don’t want to seem like a silly kid so I guess I should take it. You took the drink from Kai before giving him a small smile. You cupped the glass the way toddlers do with sippy-cups and took a drink. The water tasted fizzy and bitter as it glided down your throat. It took almost everything in you to not spit it out, but your facial expression was apparently hilarious because Kai burst out laughing. Smiling so wide you could see almost all of his shiny, white teeth. “That was a wonderful suggestion, thanks,” you said, somewhat grumpily.

 

 

All of the sudden, a flash of silver hair appeared right beside you. Your mind registered Kai’s expression of surprise before you turned to look who it was.

 

“Luhan. What are you doing here?” Kai asked, slightly narrowing his eyes but a smile reached his face.

 

You turned your head, it was the friendly gentlemen you met the night you and and Kai had the dance off. He was almost as good-looking as Kai, and his personality always seemed to radiate off of him. You positioned yourself so you were half-turned towards Kai, and half-turned towards Luhan.

 

You smiled at him in greeting, “Hi Luhan!”

 

He smiled in return then leaning in closer so you could hear him, “Well good evening ___,” You looked at his side profile, you couldn’t even see a flaw insight. Smooth, porcelain skin, straight nose, long eyelashes, and bright eyes. He seemed to be full of light. Kai really must be the opposite...

 

Kai and him started trying to have a conversation about when the next dance practice was, even if it was incredibly hard to hear. You stared off into the dance floor, watching the multitude of people dancing and gripping each other. Thriving for the music, and thoroughly enjoying it. You inwardly sighed, jealous at the kind of night they were having. Crossing your knees, you propped your elbow on your leg and rested your face in the palm of your hand. Still staring enviously at the dancing people.

 

A couple of minutes later, Luhan and Kai were still talking but the conversation was starting to die off. You felt a light tap on your shoulder and turned your head to see who it was, Luhan was staring at you, a slight smile on his face. “I was wondering if I could ask you to dance,” he said with now a full smile, slightly bowing with chivalry.

 

Your eyes widened in shock. Me? But why? Oh no, I’m going to make a horrible fool of myself. Trying to go with the moment and be spontaneous, you replied with enthusiasm, “Well, sure! Why not!”

 

He continued smiling at you, and held out his hand. You quickly looked at Kai and noticed his whole entire body was stiff and rigid. He was just staring at his drink, not moving at all. The corners of his mouth were turned down slightly, but instead of thinking much of it, you lightly grabbed Luhan’s hand and confidently turned towards the giant crowd of people.

 

 

Letting him lead you into the dark, dense crowd; you felt the heat and energy radiate off of everyone. He stopped in a random place and turned back around you, smiling once again. His teeth so bright, you could even see them in this poorly lit area. He started dancing playfully with you, doing silly moves, and grabbing your hands and doing some sort of mambo. It got you laughing, and soon enough you felt the tension in your back and shoulders and most importantly, your mind, ease away.

 

 

The next song glided into the last, and he took a step closer. You could catch a hint of seriousness and determination on his face. Jaw set, he lightly wrapped his arm around your waist and put his hand right behind your hip. You blushed at the contact, you weren’t used to this kind of attention and you were never skilled at dealing with guys. But tonight was the night to try new things and go with the flow. You didn’t want to regret not trying anything and always thinking of “what ifs”, so why not push yourself out of your comfort zone?

 

You responded and stepped closer, your faces now dramatically closer now. The mood between the two of you changed from silly to curious and intent. The two of you started to dance to the rhythm of the beat, you rested your hands on his shoulders. Your fingers dangling over his back. The lights bounced off his features, making his silver hair numerous different colors. You threw your head back and let out a shout of excitement and freedom, swinging your hips and shaking out your hair. Luhan laughed with you, making you smile even wider. He bent his head closer to yours, you gasped silently, even though no one would be able to hear you. You squinted your eyes, looking at the details of his face. He was now staring off over your head and into the crowd. You took the directed attention away from you to look at the way his eyelashes were characteristically lined, and the way his nose slanted. Taking in as many odd details as you could.

 

Observing people was sort of your speciality, that’s the only way you could even figure anyone out. Other than dancing, it was the only thing that somehow really truly made you comfortable. Figuring out perfections and flaws of other people set your mind at ease, and you could finally decide your feelings upon that specific person.

 

 

 

You felt someone grab your shoulder from behind, and you quickly snapped back into the present. Still looking at Luhan’s face, you saw a slight crease form on his forehead. Taking one of your hands off of his shoulder in order to turn around, you turned your neck to see who it was.  

 

 

It could only be Kai. His overwhelming aspects, made your mouth drop. Despite the fact that you just saw him, he seemed to leave you stunned. His mouth was firm and serious, but you saw a spark of adventure and determination in his eyes. Without even asking he lightly grabbed the back of your arm and pulled you out of Luhan’s light grip. Stumbling to Kai’s side, Kai put you behind him and leaned into Luhan’s ear, telling something that you obviously couldn’t hear. Luhan’s previous happy expression turned somewhat bitter and resentful, he nodded fixedly at Kai. He turned his head and stared at you for a second, then gave you a agile wave and a small smile, turned around and left the crowd.

 

Kai turned his body towards yours, and briskly leaned into your ear now. “Could we dance?” It was almost more of a command than question, but you just gulped and nodded in response. Semi-frozen with the sudden change of events.

 

He pulled you deeper into the crowd, so now many bodies were pressing into you. He gave you a wicked smile and set one of his hands in between your shoulder blades. Pressing you into him, he rested his hand on the side of your leg and bent his head downward close to yours. If you thought Luhan was going fast, then Kai easily won the race. You weren’t sure what to do, but something was aching inside of you to let him dance with you, even if it was incredibly intimate. You were extremely out of your comfort zone though, but you knew if you left, Kai would rat you out and you didn’t want to deal with Director-Nim’s punishments.

 

The music swung through your mind, making some of your reasonings fuzzy and unclear. You started to sweat and since you were so close to so many other people their perspiration rubbed off on you. You started not to care though, letting yourself be free and careless. It was unmistakably the easiest thing to do. You rested one of your hands on his chest, and the other in the back of his hair. Lightly tugging on it, you let a confident smirk appear on your face. In return Kai slightly leaned closer to your face, a untamed flame flickered upon his face.

 

He glided his hand up your leg, sending uncontrollable tremors on your body. Your responded with his touch and pressed more firmly into his body. Both of you moulding into each other. You were starting to wonder if your drink was drugged because you were thoroughly enjoying dancing with this devil. Pure ecstasy crawled all over your skin. You your lips and stared deeply into his eyes. He raised one of his eyebrows and returned your stare with erratic eye-contact. You trailed your fingers down his neck and you felt his grip on your leg and back tighten. You smiled to yourself because of his reaction, you could be as out-right as he could.

 

 

Responding to your touch, he leaned in closer once again. So did you. And he did again, like a game on who could go farther. Who had the most guts. An anxious pit formed in your stomach, your throat grew dry once more and your eyes were glued to his face. You knew it was your turn to go closer, but you body froze. All your alluring tactics dissipated, things were getting extremely intense and serious.


He mouthed some words, which you thought were, “Not to worry,” and he took the last step of confidence. Bringing his lips to yours.