Ramen

Finding Yourself in Seoul

 

“Would you like to come with me?”

 

Your head snapped back at the question and you instantly felt walls going up around your emotions. “Why?” you commanded. You winced a bit at your own tone, it was harsh and unfriendly.

 

“I need to talk to you…” he said with solid sincerity. “And, and I’d like to show you something,” he added in a lower tone.

 

 

In your mind, you were juggling on what to do. To slap this jerk and be done with it, or hear what he has to say. Both seemed pretty tempting. It was like a scale in your head and each of the choices were weights. You were deciding which one was heavier. Peering into his eyes, you tried to get a grasp on what his intentions were. Did he want to mess with your feelings again? There wasn’t much to feel, you decided. Everything just left you numb and dull. You felt cold, there wasn’t any warmth that seemed to be left.

Someone leaving walked past you, their shoulder harshly shoving into yours. You fell forward, a curse word already forming on your lips. Your feet stumbled trying to regain balance, instead you started to fall into Kai’s chest. His hands gripped your arms, stopping you right away. His warm hands sent waves of heat through your body. Sparkling electricity kindled in your heart. You shoved him back, shocked at the sensations you felt.

 

What does this even mean? “Sure, I guess,” you answered him, breathlessly. Turning away from the now abandoned menu, you followed him wordlessly out of the store.

 

 

 

Kai started walking on the outside of the sidewalk, while you were on the inside. Your palms started to sweat, he naturally made you nervous. Walking around the corner and to the subway station, your eyes were plastered on the concrete in front of you. Looking at Kai would only make you more nervous and tense. Every time you made eye contact, you felt your knees weakening and brick by brick your mental walls were being removed.

 

You were trying to resist that from happening, no matter what. Even though you already felt completely weak and raw, letting him know that would just leave you even more vulnerable than before. So you zipped your lips as the two of you descended down the stairs and into the dimly lit subway station.

 

 

“I’ll cover your ticket,” he said quietly and swiftly paid for two tickets before you could disagree. You took the ticket with a thin line set on your mouth. The subway was extremely busy at this time of the day. It was usually always packed but everyone must have had to go somewhere since this was the most crowded you’ve ever seen it.

 

Of course, since you arrived at this city you haven’t used public transportation a lot but even taking that in, the mass of people was almost overwhelming. Kai, however, seemed completely unaffected by it.

 

He was weaving through the people so easily, his height being an advantage. You were trying your best, quite ungraciously. Stepping on people’s feet and accidentally ramming into them, you earned quite a few glares. Keeping your head down and trying to apologize to everyone, you kept up with Kai. He made it into the subway before you and when you entered, out of breath, he was sitting quietly, already saving a seat for you.

 

The ride was quiet, you still hadn’t gotten used to the “Be Silent At All Times In A Subway” rule. It was an unspoken one at that, which you had to learn when you arrived in Korea. To pass the time you nervously messed with your clothing, and avoided at all costs to touch Kai. You had to sit extremely close to each other because of all the people but you made sure there was a visible space between you and him.

 

 

 

 

“This is our stop,” Kai told you, much to your relief, as he stood up. The ride was so incredibly awkward, and you could feel uncomfortable tension fizzling between you and him. For the whole entire time you were usually looking down, messing with your clothing for the ride. Occasionally looking up to see where you were, while he just rigidly stared ahead. You’ve never seen him so uncomfortable with his atmosphere. He usually had effortless confidence pouring out of him.

 

Letting him take the lead to exit, you followed Kai out. Walking in between people, the two of you reached the dirty cement stairs. You shuffled up the stairs, up into the bright world.

 

 

 

You wanted to ask him where the two of you were going but you felt like asking would make you seem weak. Your mind was revolving in an immature childish way, but you were too stubborn to change otherwise. Looking around, you figured out what district in Seoul you were in, completely foreign and unknown to you. It was called Yongsan, it seemed like an older, more relic area.

 

Kai, still apparently so uncomfortable to speak, lead you through the winding, busy streets. Which at last coming upon a tiny, almost unnoticed gas station. You entered after Kai, who instantly greeted the cashier with a big smile, much more excitedly than you thought he would have.

 

 

The cashier, a short, balding, aged man that probably could have been a few feet taller if it wasn’t for the hunch in his back, immediately rose up from behind the cashier, “Why Jongin, it’s been such a long time!” He gave a boisterous laugh and went in to give Kai a warm hug.

 

“Yeah, it has,” Kai said once their embrace had ended.

 

“But what brings you here in the middle of the day? Don’t you have dance practice? I know you wouldn’t throw that away, considering how hard you’ve worked,” the old man said wisely.

 

Kai just nodded reluctantly in response, the old man waited for an explanation of some sort but Kai just left the conversation at that. You shifted uncomfortably on your feet and stole a few glances at Kai. The conversation had come to a standstill and an awkward silence now hung in the air. You were trying to think of something to say to break the ice but thinking of nothing, you kept your mouth shut.

 

“Well,” the old man finally started again, bringing his hand up to conceal his mouth as he cleared his throat. An idea seemed to pop in his head because his eyes instantly brightened. “You two are looking hungry. Why don’t I get you some ramen for stopping all the way over here? It’s no trouble at all!” He offered up a friendly smile, looking directly at you.

 

“S-sure,” you stuttered, not sure if you were supposed to say yes or no.

 

Kai stifled a laugh, which was aimed at your obvious discomfort. The older man disappeared behind an unknown aisle. You could hear rustling as he was probably choosing the types of ramen. Then from a door behind the counter, a woman about the same age as the man that Kai talked to before, shuffled out. Her face lit up when she recognized Kai. You were starting to really wonder who these friendly people were and why they would be associated with Kai.

 

“Oh, Kai! I’m so glad you came,” she said with absolute delight. The old woman’s eyes crinkled with joy as she smiled at him. “Why the visit?” she asked kindly.

 

“Needed to clear my head, I figured this was the perfect place to do so,” he stated.

 

You peered at Kai, squinting your eyes in a judgemental manner. What does he want? His actions are so hot and cold.

 

“Who would this lovely girl be?” the ahjumma asked.

 

Kai chuckled, “Ah…” he looked at you, you felt a buzz on your skin from his warm stare. “Someone I need to clear things up with.”

 

The older man came back, finally with two foreign looking flavors of ramen. He went over to the hot water machine and started filling them up with the steaming water. “These are our least popular flavors,” he said comically and with a light laugh. “Maybe the two of you can tell me what’s wrong with them.”

 

Steaming cups of noodles were in his hand as he walked over to you. The ahjumma leaned over and clasped Kai’s hands. She whispered something eagerly in his ear. You couldn’t hear what she was saying, so instead you observed Kai’s reaction which was a closed smile.

 

He then nodded, gave a slight bow to the old couple and took the ramen out of old man’s hands. Motioning you to follow, he walked over to the only table with two stools. A giant clear window showed the busy street before you. Warm sunlight now strone through. Kai set down your ramen which looked to be a spicy kimchi seafood flavor. Interesting.

 

 

Sitting down you took our your chopsticks, stirring your noodles silently. All the unspoken tension practically made you mute, you didn’t know how to start a conversation without it sounding completely forced.

 

 

“I’m glad we ran into each other,” he finally said. He looked up at you, you made eye contact with him. Noticing the way the sunlight made his brown chocolate hair, almost a soft caramel color. “There’s something I finally want to get off my chest.” You saw his Adam’s apple bob up and down as he swallowed nervously. “I’m surprised myself, I never thought this would happen to me…” he paused.

 

You were sitting there, frozen like a statue. Your muscles in your hand clenched around your chopsticks. Your head was a completely different place, filled with what felt like a hundred thoughts all at once. What, Kai? What are you going to tell me? That you’re cheating on your girlfriend with me? With, wait, not only one but TWO people?? And of course, one of my only friends here.


You were now starting to feel regret. Regretful you put yourself in this situation, which would only end with more pain.

 

 

 

 

Hey everyone~
Here is a much, patiently awaited update! ^^
I worked really hard on this one so I hope you all like it :)

Also I have almost 100 subs, OH MY GOODNESS.

Getting 100 would mean the world to me, I don't' even know what to say. :")

Thank you again!

<3 always-Minji