Too Late, Too Awkward

Finding Yourself in Seoul

Bright light filtered into your eyes as you slowly opened them. You shut them again and groaned, rolling over to the other side of your bed. Exhaustion returned to your mind, making you ever so groggy. Five more minutes couldn’t hurt. Grabbing your phone, you clicked a button and waited for the time to appear on the screen.

 

10:18.

 

What? It can’t be that late... Looking at it again, your eyes flew open and panic surged through you as you realized, you had in fact woke up shamefully late. Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no. Two words kept repeating over and over again as you scrambled out of bed, accidentally knocking over your lamp as you started taking off your old clothes and putting on fresh ones. Class started almost two hours ago, you would definitely stand out now, not in a good way.

 

 

Ripping out of your room, you were still tugging your sweatshirt over your head as you were dashing down the hallway. Everything was completely silent because everyone was already there, where you should be. Pounding the down button on the elevator, you impatiently paced until the door open. Then dashing inside you slammed your finger onto the correct level and started praying that the door would close quicker. The usually boring elevator music seemed to mock you now, singing into even more seconds  which ticked away making you even later. Cursing at yourself, you wanted to smack your head for being so careless, the time it took to transfer levels seemed to stretch into forever.

 

 

The pleasant ding notified you of the door opening, once again you sprinted through the halls, running past people that were carrying on with their day. Finally making it to the main dance room, you heaved the door open with a ton of force. Only noticing just a bit too late how dramatic and obviously noticeable you were being. With wide eyes, you stared at the surprised classmates faces as it was clear you interrupted practice. What a great start to my day.

 

 

“Ahhh, ____! How nice of you to join us,” the director said with false warmness, “I hope you’re excited to make up all the hours you missed after practice is over.”

 

 

Mouth dry, and tongue heavy, all you could do was bow politely and walk to the wall, setting some of your things down. Shyly smiling to your peers they just grumpily stared at you, going to stand by Kai, you met his eyes. He coldly glared at you, his almost black eyes dug under your skin somehow starting to make you sweat.

 

“Sorry guys...!” you lightly bowed again, trying to not get on their bad side.

 

 

“Well... Now that everyone decided to join us, let’s get started?” he rhetorically asked. “Eun Bi, why don’t you bring you and your partner to the front of the class and show us how far the two of you have gotten.”

 

 

“Yes sir!” she said, dragging her partner to the front of the room by his wrist. All the other students moved to the sides and back of the room. You went to go join them but unfortunately, and you weren’t sure if it was on purpose or by accident, they all lined up shoulder to shoulder, not allowing you to squeeze in. Which forced you to go stand right next to Kai over in a corner.

 

 

Shuffling over, you absently chewed your lip as you stood right next to him, elbows brushing. Out of the corner of your eye you saw him glance down at you through his glossy bangs, a baseball cap covering most of his hair. Not wanting to meet his gaze, you glued yours to Eun Bi and her partner.

 


 

After they were done demonstrating their progress, the director went over their strengths and weaknesses and what they need to work on. Then he talked to the class in depth on creative ways to fix them.

 

Calling everyone back to their original spots, he instructed everyone to work with their partner and then they’d show him what they were working on as he’d make his way around the room. You followed Kai back to your spot and started vacantly staring off at the other teams, noticing how well put-together they looked. Which you felt, would start to emphasize your flaws.

 

 

“What do you want to work on?” he asked with a low tone.

 

“What do you think needs to be worked on?” you asked, replying with a question.

 

That seem to piss him off, “Everything,” he commented.

 

You rolled your eyes, “Ditto,”

 

A minute went by of the two of you awkwardly standing in place while everyone was working on their own part of the dance. You started chewing on the inside of your cheek, you knew it wouldn’t be long before Director-Nim noticed you and Kai doing nothing, and you definitely didn’t want to get in more trouble.

 

 

“How about the sequence during the second chorus?” you suggested.

 

“Sure. Why not,” he mumbled.

 

 

Starting to move with his body, you instantly felt like everything was wrong. All your moves and his were awkward and shaky. It was clear that something was awry when you accidentally stepped on his foot, causing him to stumble backwards, almost running into another team.

 

 

“Watch out!” the girl called out harshly.

 

“Apologies,” Kai said quietly.

 

He walked back to you, eyes still cold and blank but tension strung on his face. “Let’s try again... Maybe from the beginning?” you offered.

 

Waiting for the song to repeat itself, the both of you went into start position. The first part was perfectly memorized, you and him easily went through the steps even though there was some slight hesitation. The part came up where he had to softly grip your neck. Your mind went blank as you looked up to him, you felt his cold skin whisper against your neck almost causing your knees to buckle. Your eyes shuttered closed for a second, but you pulled them open and jumped back trying to not make it obvious that he messed you up. He gave you a confused look but you just jumped right back into the dance with an apologetic smile.

 

 

Finally the second chorus that you two seemed to really have difficulties with came around. The whole dance from the beginning seemed to be on the brink of failure and the second chorus was like the chime of a bell, notifying that this was where everything would fall apart. Both of you messed up the moves, accidentally smashing into each other. Your leg lagged behind when he had to move in front of you, his ankle caught and he started to stumble downwards. Kai tried to grab your elbow for support so he wouldn’t fall flat on his face, however it actually caused you to fall with him, your backside heading towards the floor.

 

 

Your shoulderblades painfully smashed against the floor and you let out a pitiful scream. You sensed everyone immediately stop what they were doing as they witnessed you and Kai’s fall. Your mouth was in an open grimace, you blinked your eyes open only to see Kai inches away from you. It felt like last night all over again. His bangs were hanging from his face and his long eyelashes seemed to touch his cheek bones as he had his eyes closed as well. Luckily he stopped himself with his hands right before his face collided with yours but nonetheless it was almost too close of a call. You heard the director’s laugh and your face suddenly turned scarlet.

 

Kai then realized what awkward position the both of you were still in and he then cleared his throat, pushing himself up and then brushed his pants off. You with much less grace, stumbled up against the mirrored wall. Your heart was beating like you just ran a marathon.

 

 

“The two of you are just in complete harmony,” the director said with sarcastic humor.

 

Kai just looked down and scratched the back of his neck, you started habitually chewing on the inside of your cheek again.

 

“What an... “epic fail” is what you guys would call?” he said, obviously enjoying our discomfort. “It looks like you two need some extra practice, so why don’t you stay after class.”
 

 

 

*****

 

 

 

Class ended and everyone left with smirks on their faces, Eun Bi apparently couldn’t keep a straight face for the rest of the class. She was always shooting you greasy looks, and sideways smirks. You could only roll your eyes in response.

 

 

You and Kai walked towards the director who was looking his clipboard mindlessly. Arriving at his feet like shameful dogs, you stood there waiting for him to notice you.

 

 

 

He looked up with an almost surprised expression on his face, “Oh! It’s you two,”

 

You nodded while Kai just cleared his throat.

 

“I see you’ve been having a bit of trouble lately, may I ask why?”

 

None of you seemed to come up with an answer or perhaps a plausible excuse, so an uncomfortable silence just filled the room instead.

 

“Well, fantastic. I know just the remedy!” he said excitedly, a childlike emotion appeared on his face.

 

“What is it?” you and Kai asked at the same time.

 

“Me being the “cool teacher I am,” he said with air quotes, “and all the experience I’ve had, especially back in my day, might I add,” he continued, nudging Kai with his elbow. Kai just gave him a weirded-out look in response. Director-Nim cleared his throat, “Right, okay, carrying on. Kai, I’ve never seen you so.. discombobulated before... You’re usually the absolute best dancer and role model in the class.”

 

“I’m so sorry sir,” Kai said formally.

 

“And you, ____, I know how much talent and potential you have, and you should not be falling behind either...” he said, shaking his head back and forth.

 

“I’ll try harder Director-Nim,” you said quietly, absolutely and totally embarrassed.

 

 

“So you, dear ___, and you, Kai; are going a night out on town! Paid by me, and to the top nightclub.” the director said, cheering at the end and then clasping his hands to his heart, obviously so entirely proud that he came up with his “genius” idea.

 

You seemed to choke on air at the news and Kai’s eyes looked like they were about to pop out of his head.

 

Director-Nim started shoving the both of you out of the room and then sheepishly said, “Take pictures like always, and come back with stories tomorrow!” Adding a cheeky wink at the end.

 

 

 

 

Hey guys!

So sorry this update took awhile but I hope you like it :)

Thank you my lovely readers, who read every update and even comment.
And to my new subbers (and old!) it means a lot. Honestly you are the only reason I keep trying so hard to update.

I hope you've all ben well.

Comments mean so so so much to me, so comment away. :)

 

With <3- Minji