Makeover

Finding Yourself in Seoul

“Eun Bi! What should I wear??” you whined, plopping down on your bed hopelessly. You and Kai couldn’t go against the director’s wishes, and after telling Eun Bi what happened, she practically commanded you to go too.

 

Maybe, fortunately for you, you could not find anything to wear to save your life. It’s not like you knew to pack clubbing clothes, I mean who would expect that going to a dance camp???

 

“This is pointless! Maybe I should try and play hookie,” you mumbled, face first into your bed covers.

 

“Oh my GOSH. NO! Don’t even say that, you know how rare this is? You have to go! Also...” Eun Bi continued on and on but you just tuned her out. You had spent almost an hour looking for something to wear and you haven’t even thought about your hair and makeup yet.

 

Coming back into reality, you interrupted Eun Bi, “Okay, fine. If you’re the expert, I now give you the power to make me look... whatever you want me too look like,” you finished helplessly. This might be painful.

 

 

 

*****

 

 

Forty-five minutes later, Eun Bi had completed your hair and makeup, and was now pulling things out of her closet one after another. Looks like she’s had more than one night out on the town.

 

“Ah-HAH!” she cried successfully, Eun Bi held up the flashy dress. It was a deep rich blue, like the color of sapphires. Black studs embedded the neckline of the dress which would rest right below your collar bones. “It’s kinda long for me... But since you’re so much taller, it’ll be perfect!”

 

 

Wiggling into the dress, you were shocked at how tightly fitted it was. You glanced at the mirror, “Umm... Eun Bi, I really appreciate your help and all but I’m not exactly used to wearing something this short,” The dress felt like a second skin to your body, it wasn’t too revealing though but it showed a lot of leg.

 

Eun Bi chuckled to herself, half muttering to herself and half to you, she said, “Kai won’t be able to keep his eyes or hands off you.” Your mouth tugged in a straight line with self-conciousness, you looked at the mirror again and tugged down the sides of the dress, trying to decide if you could go outside of your comfort zone.

 

Sighing, you made your decision, “Just get me some shoes,”

 

 

 

*****

 

 

You now stood in front of your foggy mirror in your dimly-lit, small bathroom. Peering at your foreign appearance, you took in your transformation.

 

You had to admit, your wild, short friend was seemingly a professional at making anyone look y. Even yourself, which you thought was really hard to believe. She straightened your hair to a glossy sleek perfection. Not a frizzy fly-away was in sight. Then pulled it off your shoulders so it could drape freely down your back. She gave your lips a stained red color, and dashed your eyes with charcoal black eyeliner, then added extra coats of mascara so your eyelashes were thick and luscious.

 

The contrast of your dress to the color of your freshly painted lips added allure and you thought, would make you more noticeable. Which made you start to feel extremely shy.

 

 

After Eun Bi gave you a dozen more look-overs and turnarounds, she handed you the well-written directions of the club (which happened to only be a few blocks away), then briskly shoved you out of the room. But not before making you promise to come home super late.

 

Your shoes clicked hurriedly on the pavement as you crossed the street. The air felt extremely chilly tonight, but maybe it was your exposed skin that was sensitive. Your stomach was filled with nerves and every step, every turned corner, made you want to just turn around and click and clack all the way back to your awaiting bed.

 

But you tried to be braver than that. As well, you didn’t even want to think about the consequences from Director-Nim. Kai sent you a text earlier, somehow unknowingly having your number, saying that he’d be inside. That jerk, won’t even wait in line with me.

 

 

You made it to the outside of the club, lights and music from inside already collided with your senses. Your eyes traveled from the buff bouncers to the fairly long line exiting the door. Walking towards the end of the line you looked at the stranger’s faces, trying to convince yourself that you really weren’t looking for Kai. Everyone either looked extremely bored or extremely excited, you didn’t see an in between. Except for yourself. You stood at the back of the line, and rubbed your arms up and down causing warm friction to heat up your cooled skin. You stood there, quietly and not wanting to be noticed. With patience, you’d get this assignment, almost dare-like thing over.

 

 

 

Finally, you made it up to the front. Some people weren’t accepted in and others just left. The bouncers looked you up and down once or twice (which made you feel like a lab rat) and then simply let you through the velvet roped barriers.

 

You stood at the ‘inside entrance’ of the club, taking in all there was all to see. All the dressed up, and perhaps underdressed people was portrayed in your view. The head DJ was all the way up front, nodding his head to the beat and moving his hands across the board of switches, his booth dramatically higher than the dance floor.

 

You took a timid step forward, and felt a rumble in your chest and realized it was the bass. You turned your head to the bar filled with sparkly and magical-looking bottles and drinks, feeling the light swish of your hair touching your shoulder blades. The tables and chairs were made out of transparent glass, which changed colors because of the many streams of lights.

 

Letting your eyes pass over everyone there, you made your way down until you saw someone familiar. It was him. Your breath caught in your throat when you saw how utterly gorgeous he looked, his looks were something that could steal someone’s breath away. Literally. He dressed perfectly for this evening, looking more fashionable than almost every male here but still didn’t look over-dressed. You blushed when you realized you were probably gawking. Then looking up at his eyes, you realized; he was already intensely staring at you. A lump formed in your throat as his captivating stare seemed to start to make your body burn everywhere.