Party Conversations

Finding Yourself in Seoul

It had been a couple hours since you arrived at the party with Luhan. Eun Bi showed up only a couple minutes after you got there, but oddly enough never stopped over to where you and Luhan were sitting. She was just mingling with other people and at times dancing. The later it got the more people showed up. The music was loud and the lighting, chaotic and crazy. Luhan kindly explained to you (finding it cute that you’ve never really been to a party before) that the room was completely sound-proof and that they covered the door completely once the party picked up more, so no light would show through.

 

You somehow managed to have a decent conversation with Luhan, even with a slight throbbing headache that rang in the back your skull, you enjoyed the communication between you two. It kept your mind off of Kai for the moment, and you were warming up to Luhan. His gentlemanly ways and kind eyes made you feel safe.

 

 

 

“So that’s the story of why I am never helping an ahjumma across the street again,” he finished, cracking up with laughter at the sound of yours.

 

You held your stomach, laughter flowing out of your mouth. “All you did was try to help her! Poor guy.” Your eyes crinkling when you smiled.

 

He didn’t respond, just continued grinning at you and observing your face. A softer expression filled his wide brown eyes, they almost looked like they were twinkling.

 

“Hey, want to dance?” he said simply.

 

“Yeah, why not,” you replied with a smile. “I’m up for it,” you sounded as he pulled you up from the stiff chair.

 

Casually grabbing your hand, Luhan walked to the cluster of people already dancing. Finding an open space, he placed a hand on your hip and began swaying you along with the mesmerizing beat of the song. “Nothing like some romantic limbo, eh?” Luhan said in your ear. You just chuckled in response and rolled your eyes. How cliché.

 

As the song droned on and on, you found your body slowly growing closer to Luhan’s. You peered into his warms eyes, comforting you from your emotional day. Even if there was supposed to be romance right now, all you really felt was comfort, like those food-filled-movie-marathon nights. Which was ridiculous because you were at a party with a hot guy.

 

You looked around the room, trying to find any familiar faces. Surprisingly you saw Eun Bi a couple feet away, dancing with someone you couldn’t quite see.

 

You lightly rested your palm on Luhan’s arm, “Hey, can we go dance by Eun Bi?”

 

“Sure,” he agreed, nodding happily. The two of you walked over to Eun Bi, but you stopped short when you realized the person she was dancing with was Kai.

 

What the hell?

 

Kai saw the two of you arrive, and relief seemed to flood his face. Yours on the other hand was probably sickly washed out grey with a slight tinge of green. Your mind turned foggy with anxiety just by making eye contact with him, and the fact he was dancing with Eun Bi. Kai took a step towards you, causing the dance between him and Eun Bi to pause. You unconsciously took a small step backwards but faintly ran into Luhan. He steadied you by resting his hand on your back, the area right below your shoulder blade. His warmth instantly comforted you and cleared your head.

 

Eun Bi noticed that you and Luhan appeared, but her usual peppy demeanor somehow darkened.

 

“Sorry, we didn’t mean to interrupt you two,” you stammered with embarrassment.

 

“No, you didn’t interrupt anything,” Kai looked over at Luhan and his eyes narrowed. “We didn’t interrupt anything, did we?”

 

Luhan shook his head. “Nope, my date and I were just getting a feel for the dance floor. Oh,” Luhan tilted his head to the side with curiosity at Eun Bi. “Is this your date, Kai?”

 

Kai opened his mouth and it appeared as though he was fumbling for the right thing to say. Rubbing the back of his neck, his eyes gravitated down to his feet.

 

Glancing over at him, Eun Bi gave Kai a look as if she was daring him to say ‘no’.

 

After a few painfully awkward moments without any sort of answer from Kai, it was Eun Bi who broke the silence.

 

“C’mon Kai, I’m your date. Remember?” She gave a hesitant laugh and placed an arm around Kai’s. “You asked me yourself.”

 

Kai sighed softly while peeling Eun Bi’s arm off of him. “We were going as friends. Remember?” he said in the same faux-friendly tone Eun Bi had before.

 

Eun Bi, completely taken aback, clenched her fists, a look of complete dissatisfaction filling her face. Puckering her lips she turned to face my date.

 

“Hey Luhan, let’s switch partners for a while. Okay?”

 

Luhan blinked and looked over to me for help.

 

“It’s alright, you can go” I offered him a half-smile, still unsure of what was going on.

 

“Well, I’ll see you soon” Luhan exclaimed, eyes darting from Eun Bi to you and Kai and back again. He gave you one last fleeting smile as Eun Bi aggressively pulled him in the opposite direction. You felt rough fingertips graze your wrist and instinctively turned towards him. Kai was intensely leaning down to you. You observed his strong jaw line jut out and could almost taste his enlivening cologne.

 

“Can I talk to you outside of here for a sec?” Kai asked, concern thick in his voice.

 

You peered at his face, hurt flooding through your veins again. “Sure,” you could barely muster. Your feelings stealing your voice away and stringing through your lungs, making it harder to breathe.

 

The cool, yet still air of the hallway wafted onto your face as Kai opened the door for you. Confusion and worry openly appearing on his usually clean-slate face. That , now he shows his emotions. You stiffly walked to the other side of the hallway and turned around.


“Look,” he started hesitantly, “I’m not sure what’s going on but I think this will explain better than my words ever could.” Swiftly Kai cupped your chin and lightly pressed your back into the wall and then his lips instantly found yours.