Lonely

We Found Love in a Hopeless Place
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Summer shined brightly outside the tall glass window, feeding nature its daily portion of life.  Yong Hwa sat quietly looking out the window, his hands slightly fisted over his lap as he absorbed the outdoors through his chambers.  Never in his life did he realize he would actually miss going outside to enjoy the hot sun.  When working in the fields along with a few of his cousins and the workers he took little notice to his surroundings.  Now as he sat looking through the large window of his chambers, he could not help but want to stand and take a long stroll outside his grand back yard.  Lately his thoughts had begun to trouble him.  Now every part of his mind clouded with Shin Hye.  Her smile, her hair, her hands, her laughter, and most of all that sweet scent of rose petal reeking off her skin.

 

            When she was not in his presence, he found himself feeling completely desolate, although his mother and mistress stopped by for a visit.  He argued with his thoughts most of the day.  Maybe spending too much time around her has made me think different, he would tell himself.  Yong Hwa let out a silent sigh and fisted his hands tighter.  His heart seemed to hammer at the thought of her but he deeply tried to suppress the flutter of knots that formed at the pit of his stomach.

Could he help being attracted to her physically?  Maybe that was the reason.

 

****

 

            His back seemed to strengthen more and more with each step he took, but he still did not trust himself to walk on his own.  Shin Hye had observed his every move every time they rose off his bed and did a little walking.  She spent her days caring for him and making sure that he was well rested and comfortable on his own bed.  Along with his progress his attitude had changed as well, he did not argue nor complained as much as he used to, and polite words seemed to escape him here and there.  It was when his Lady Jung came to visit, that her son would fall into a depressing and foul mood.

 

            Now she made her way up the stirs carrying in her hand a silver tray with tea to set over his desk while he worked on some important document in his study.  He had grown rather bored of staying cooked up in his chambers with absolutely nothing to do.  Politely he had requested to sit alone in his study to catch up with the orders and payments he had to make for the workers and customers.  Shin Hye entered after she left herself known and set the tray down and excused herself without a word to say.

 

            “Thank you.” he called after her.

 

            Shin Hye smiled to herself before turning and replying, “You’re welcome.”  Closing the door behind her, she walked downstairs to eat.  Her friendship with Min-Sook, Na-yun, and So-ri had improved over the last two days as well.  They had finally gained the confidence to address her by her first name.  They were not afraid to speak their minds in front of her about some of the things they hated doing, and whom they disliked.  She had found out that they rather felt sorry for the position she was in over the last year, and watched from a-far the treatment her husband gave her day after day.

 

            She tried keeping her opinions to herself when it came to Seo Hyun, she did not covet rumors to spread about the house.  So instead, she would try her best to answer with a smile or a shrug.

There was little interest in Shin Hye about Seo Hyun; clearly, the woman had claimed Yong Hwa before she had come along.  At times, she felt just awful forever interrupting their lives, but was it really her fault?

 

            She messed about with the lettuce in her salad and at the thought of her friends in the kitchen sweating about trying to get their chores accomplished she rose from her chair.  Entering into the kitchen, she cleared to gain their attention.

 

            “It is rather lonely in the massive dining room; I would love it if all of you joined me.”  She said.

 

            So-ri and Na-yun exchanged looks slightly smiling at each other, as Min-Sook nodded immediately, clearly thrilled by the offer.

 

            “Well?”  Shin Hye asked again.

 

            The girls hurried about gathering plates into their hands and helping themselves to a portion of food.  Ji-min the main house cleaner stood there looking at them as they all happily poured soup on their bowls and headed towards the dining room.

 

            “Would you like to join us?”  Shin Hye asked.

 

            She stared at her for a moment, smiled, and declined shyly wiping her hands on her apron.  Shin Hye understood that after spending so much time behind the kitchen it felt awkward so suddenly to join a class above her at a dining room table.

 

            “Please join us.”  Shin Hye encouraged.

 

            “There are a lot of things to be done ma’am.”  Ji-min replied.

 

            “There will forever be chores; it will be a never ending thing.” Shin Hye said.

 

            A huge smile came across her face and shyly but happily, she took a bowl and poured herself some soup to eat.  The girls were startled for a moment to see her join but quickly went back to their chattering.

 

            “Shall we all say grace?” Shin Hye said taking So-ri and Ji-min’s hand.

 

            They bowed their heads and gave thanks, their soft prayers echoing off the walls.  After grace was said, they laughed and ate enjoying every bit of their meal.  Desert was brought to the table and each of them ate until they had their fill of the delicious cake.

 

            “What is going on here?” Lady Jung spat.  She stood at the entrance to the dining room giving each of them darting eyes.

Embarrassed Ji-min quickly stood from the table taking plates into her hands.

 

            “Don’t.” Shin Hye muttered placing a hand over hers.

 

            “This isn’t a house of slaves.” Lady Jung snarled walking in.

 

            “I asked them to join me.” Shin Hye replied.

 

            “The lady of the house never mingles with the help.” She hissed looking down at Na-yun.

 

            “They are more than happy to join me at dinner if they want.  Last time I knew I am the lady of this house.” Shin Hye said standing.

 

            “Perhaps it’s best that we leave.” Ji-min whispered, signaling the others.

 

            “You will do no such thing, you work, clean, and cook for me, not for her, and this is my way of show

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter